Giant Bomb's Street Fighter IV Beginners Guide

  • 78 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Legend (2660 posts) -

Seeing Giant Bomb has a unique guide system which enables any user to edit guides, I thought it would be interesting to start a guide to which all users can contribute. The guide is for beginners to SFIV which I'm hoping will be the first collaboration to create a guide by GB users. The game is obviously very popular, yet some people find the learning curve overwhelming. By writing a guide for beginners, we will them people overcome this high learning curve in order for them to enjoy the game more. It will also be better than repeating tips and advice to people who post threads about some problem they are having with the game. We can just refer them to the guide. Now, I know there are already some guides on other sites, but still that doesn't mean our favorite gaming site shouldn't have its own guide.
You don't have to be a SFIV expert to contribute. If know a some strategy that works with a certain character and can make the game easier for beginners go ahead and add it to the guide. You can also add some tips on how to perform moves, combos or how to clear a certain challenge in challenge mode.
Whether this idea will see success or not depends entirely on the community's contribution, but I'm hoping some of you will take the time to help us.
Here's a link to the guide:
http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/beginners-guide-to-moves-combos-and-fighting-strategies/902/
To edit something press the edit button on the top of the table of contents on the right. After you've added something come here and tell us about it in this thread.

#2 Posted by MB (12915 posts) -

This is a great idea.  I added in a sentence about chip damage and I'm going to pin this thread to the SFIV forum.  Hopefully it will get a little more exposure that way.

Moderator
#3 Posted by Legend (2660 posts) -
MB said:
"This is a great idea.  I added in a sentence about chip damage and I'm going to pin this thread to the SFIV forum.  Hopefully it will get a little more exposure that way."
Thanks, Mike.
#5 Posted by coonce (1429 posts) -

great start guys! lets keep the ball rolling on this one !! 


i'd personally love to see some vids embedded in there :)
#6 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -

The move canceling section really made me understand what I was doing wrong when trying to do combos.  I totally had no idea you could execute other moves while still doing the motion for another move!  Like the crouch punch to hadoken by holding the punch button...never thought that would actually work :)

#7 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -

Great idea.. I added a little to it right away. :)

#8 Posted by Legend (2660 posts) -
Vision said:
"Great idea.. I added a little to it right away. :) "
I noticed that what you added is taken from Eventhubs' guide: http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/crimson-viper-street-fighter-4-character-guide/. I appreciate your help, but I think it's better if we write the guide ourselves rather than copy/paste from other sites. Thanks anyway.
#9 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

I just added a section on stun.  Stun is pretty self explanatory, but I figgered I'd just throw my two cents in there too.

#10 Edited by Legend (2660 posts) -
coonce said:
"great start guys! lets keep the ball rolling on this one !! 

i'd personally love to see some vids embedded in there :)
"
Done. I found a good video tutorial on You Tube and asked the guy who made it if I could use it in the guide.

ImperiousRix said:
"I just added a section on stun.  Stun is pretty self explanatory, but I figgered I'd just throw my two cents in there too."
Thanks, that's a good addition.

#11 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -

legend man this was a great idea 



i will try to contribute at some point :P 
#12 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -
Legend said:
"Vision said:
"Great idea.. I added a little to it right away. :) "
I noticed that what you added is taken from Eventhubs' guide: http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/crimson-viper-street-fighter-4-character-guide/. I appreciate your help, but I think it's better if we write the guide ourselves rather than copy/paste from other sites. Thanks anyway."
I admit i used some info from event hub i didn't copy/paste though :) used a little of my own and some info from eventhubs (which is a great site i might add). ;)
#13 Posted by MAST (736 posts) -

Some really good info for noobs like me, and the videos were great help. I came out of watching them with some things i'm anxious to try. Please, keep adding to it. I need this type of thing.

#14 Posted by Legend (2660 posts) -
MAST said:
"Some really good info for noobs like me, and the videos were great help. I came out of watching them with some things i'm anxious to try. Please, keep adding to it. I need this type of thing."
I'm glad you found it useful.
#15 Posted by Magresda (205 posts) -

Thank you for this - I'm gonna go ahead and finally buy the game now, without fear of ripping the disc apart after an hour.

#16 Edited by Darklyte510 (77 posts) -

Good job getting the ball rolling on this! While I play a decent Rose (which almost no one seems to play lol) I'm kind of reluctant to contribute because of my newbiness. Maybe one day.

#17 Edited by FLStyle (4841 posts) -

Great job so far! I like what I'm seeing.


EDIT: I added info about Sagat's specials to the character section.
#18 Posted by fingofongo (118 posts) -

this will be good, i love big guides (like that fallout 3 megaguide, thankyousomuch)
i'll contribute a little too

#19 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

After a few more days of maining him, I think I'll be able to add something on Vega.  I've got his attacks almost down to a science now, but I just want to check to make sure.

#20 Posted by Legend (2660 posts) -

We have some info about quick get-ups now thanks to Darklyte510. I added the names of the users who contributed to the guide in the comments on each section. The guide still lacks character specific fighting strategies.

ImperiousRix said:

"After a few more days of maining him, I think I'll be able to add something on Vega.  I've got his attacks almost down to a science now, but I just want to check to make sure."
That should help us flesh out the character strategies section a little bit.
#21 Posted by FLStyle (4841 posts) -

I'll look into typing up some Sagat strategies.

#22 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

For some reason the guide's table of contents isn't loading up for me and it's not letting me edit at the moment.
Just thought I'd see if this problem is exclusive to me or if others were having the same problem, since I can view all other guides just fine.

#23 Edited by Legend (2660 posts) -
ImperiousRix said:
"For some reason the guide's table of contents isn't loading up for me and it's not letting me edit at the moment.Just thought I'd see if this problem is exclusive to me or if others were having the same problem, since I can view all other guides just fine."
It's working for me. Click this link to go straight to the edit page: http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/beginners-guide-to-moves-combos-and-fighting-strategies/902/?edit=true
If this doesn't work, send me your edits in a pm and I'll add them myself.
#24 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

Nice job

#25 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

I just wrote a whole section on Vega's Specials, Super Combo, and Ultra Combo including information on the characteristics of the attacks and some situations where they should be used.
Thanks go to Legend for posting it up for me alongside a video that helps clarify what each move should look like.

#26 Posted by MB (12915 posts) -

In the section about stuns, it says "Being knocked to the ground several times in succession will result in being stunned."  Is this correct?  I didn't think a stun required being knocked down at all.

Moderator
#27 Posted by FLStyle (4841 posts) -

MB has a point, I've been stunned without being knocked down before.

#28 Edited by zitosilva (1840 posts) -

I really appreciate something like this. I'm at a point in which is kind of hard to have fun with the game. I'm way too terrible at it.

#29 Posted by Legend (2660 posts) -
MB said:
"In the section about stuns, it says "Being knocked to the ground several times in succession will result in being stunned."  Is this correct?  I didn't think a stun required being knocked down at all."
Thanks for the heads up. I corrected that and added more info.
#30 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Cool, this is just what I need.  Thanks.

#31 Posted by coonce (1429 posts) -

one of the best street fighter guides on the internet -- great job getting this going Legend!

#32 Posted by yevinorion (702 posts) -

Man major thanks to all who helped put this together so far, and to Legend for spearheading it. This guide has helped bridge some gaps for me in terms of combos, cancelling and supers. Great stuff and I am really looking forward to this becoming more fleshed out by the awesome community here.

#33 Posted by super_machine (1931 posts) -

Step one for beginners, learn Ken, go online and play only ken. ken ken ken!!!!

#34 Posted by MB (12915 posts) -
super_machine said:
"Step one for beginners, learn Ken, go online and play only ken. ken ken ken!!!!"

I was thinking better advice would be to pick a character not often seen online and perfect that one...someone such as Gouken or Gen.  As an experienced fighter, when I come up against a Ken or Ryu or Akuma, I know exactly what to do and what that player's strategy will probably be.
Moderator
#35 Posted by PhilESkyline (781 posts) -

I actually learned more about focus attacks and canceling. This is a great idea. Thanks!

#36 Posted by zitosilva (1840 posts) -

I was wondering, does anyone have any tips about Sakura to give to me? I main her, but I still take a beating most of the time.

But the guide sure was helpful. I didn't even know about canceling moves... I finally finished the Trial Mode thanks to you guys.

#37 Edited by MB (12915 posts) -

All I know about Sakura is that she takes a lot of damage while also not dishing out very much damage of her own.  Anyone I've ever faced off against playing as Sakura has taken a severe and violent beating at the hands of my Gouken.

Moderator
#38 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -
zitosilva said:
"I was wondering, does anyone have any tips about Sakura to give to me? I main her, but I still take a beating most of the time.But the guide sure was helpful. I didn't even know about canceling moves... I finally finished the Trial Mode thanks to you guys."
Sakura is, as you've probably already noticed, a variation of Ken and Ryu.  Her hadoken doesn't go the full length of the screen, her hurricane kick kinda goes up in an arch, and her shoryuken can have multiple parts to it.  She also has a somewhat weak defense, but doesn't seem to dizzy all that much.
Use her speed and the quirks in her moves to your advantage.  For example, you can charge her fireballs to give them a knockdown effect and deal more damage, but their range will be no better than Dan's Gadoken when doing this.  However, if you mix up the sizes and ranges of her fireballs, you can confuse your opponent.  Also exploit the hell out of her shoryuken, especially the EX version.  It comes out very quick and lands lots of hits, but the length it takes to finish means that if you're blocked or if you whiff on it, you're more open to damage than any other's version of the move.
#39 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -

Thanks for the guide, this is just what we needed.

#40 Posted by Revelade (6 posts) -

Added some Guile information.

#41 Posted by ModernCreed (8 posts) -

O.k, this sounds like a cool guide, but for some reason my browser fails when I try to load it, and dont know why. I am new to this site and to street fighter and I am really interested learning some basic stuff. Could someone please copy and paste all the text into somthing like a notepad file and then upload it to media fire or somthing? Thanks in advance to anyone that could do that or help me solve my problem.

#42 Posted by Legend (2660 posts) -
ModernCreed said:
"O.k, this sounds like a cool guide, but for some reason my browser fails when I try to load it, and dont know why. I am new to this site and to street fighter and I am really interested learning some basic stuff. Could someone please copy and paste all the text into somthing like a notepad file and then upload it to media fire or somthing? Thanks in advance to anyone that could do that or help me solve my problem."
Is this the only guide here that you can't view? If not, I suggest that you post about this problem in the bug reporting forum and don't forget to mention the OS and browser you're using. Here's a temporary fix. Go to google and search for "Beginners Guide to Moves, Combos and Fighting Strategies". Click on "Cached" under the first result and then click on "Text-only version." This will work, hopefully. 
#43 Posted by ModernCreed (8 posts) -

literally the only one. Essentially, I click on the page, it loads and then after about a second an error pops up and says it failed to load the page, operation aborted, it then goes to a "failed to load the page" screen.  This happens on IE and Firefox.

#44 Posted by ModernCreed (8 posts) -

Never Mind, got it to work, great guide!

#45 Posted by Lotus9 (1 posts) -

Hah, i just found out yesterday after about 12 hrs in SF4 that 'very easy' isn't the easiest mode.  Now hopefully with some of these strats i can finally unlock Gouken and Seth.

#46 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

I've got a great tip for you guys: Don't quit playing for a month. If you do, expect your BP to plunge into the toilet next time you play.

#47 Posted by Skyr795 (13 posts) -

Hey guys, thank you for this. It was a great idea. I especially appreciate the videos on canceling and such from FredMchale. They really helped =)

#48 Posted by Jake_K (105 posts) -

So... dunno how this all works?

Starting making a Ken guide, and threw up what I had a few days ago. I worked on it more today, then looked at the guide and what I had already put up was not there, not sure if I edited it wrong, or didn't save the edits, or if someone got rid of it. >_>

#49 Posted by Legend (2660 posts) -
Jake_K said:
"So... dunno how this all works?Starting making a Ken guide, and threw up what I had a few days ago. I worked on it more today, then looked at the guide and what I had already put up was not there, not sure if I edited it wrong, or didn't save the edits, or if someone got rid of it. >_>"
Did you click "publish" after you finished editing?
#50 Posted by Dachef (106 posts) -

Thanks guys! This is really gonna help me out. i'm terrible at this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.