Go For Broke with Friends 3-man Team Tournament

#1 Edited by Gambit (727 posts) -

Date and Time-  Sunday May 31st 2pm(PST) 3pm(MST) 4pm(CST) 5pm(EST)

This will be an 8 team limit for this one (24 people)

Registraion- Will be till Friday May 29th each team will need to elect a team captain this will be the person who reports the match results to me. Each team captain will need to pm me there team name, and There team members Giantbomb name with there gamertag and character. E.G. Team PoopedMyPants(not a real team)- Gambit(GT-Gambit1986)-Ryu SpeicalBuddy(GT-CannedHedgehogs)Rufus REDRUN(GT-REDRUN) Cammy

Format- Round-Robin 3 man teams. Each person on a team must pick one character they will use through out the tournament. E.G. Team shoto members- Carl-Ryu Bob-Ken Dave-Akuma they would use these character the entire time and can't change them. Each team can change the line up of there members before each match. Each round of the tournament each team will fight each other and afterwards the team with the worse win/lose record will be out of the tournament, untill a champion is determinded.

Matches- Each match will 3 man vs 3 man fights will be best of 5 rounds 99 second timer. E.G. Team A= Me Canned and RedRun. Team B= BronxTitan Fluxwavez and CursaKuma(these arent teams just an example). Me and Bronxtitan would play 1 best of 5 round fight. Then canned and fluxzwavez would do the same. The last fight will be between Redrun and cursakuma.

Time limits- Each round of the tournament will last 45 minutes. There will be a 5 to 10 minutes break between each round so I can update the brackets and for each team captain to report there team line up for the next round of the tournament.

During the tournament everyone will need to meet up in the tournament chat here. Match results and Team lineups should be told to me in the chat.

Teams

1) Team Boom....Go back to your MOMMA!!!         

1) Gambit

XBL: Gambit1986
            Main: Ryu
      2) SpecialBuddy
           XBL:
CannedHedgehogs
           Main: Gen
     3) BronxTitan
          XBL: Bronx Titan
          Main: Rose

2) Team "El Medium Kick!"

1) LordofUltima

XBL: Lordofultima
Main: Akuma

2) Crayola

XBL: vitaminwateryum
Main: El Fuerte

3) MB

XBL: Mike GiantBomb
Main: Gouken

3) Team Flowchart

1) BoxyBrown56
XBL: BoxyBrown56
Main: Sagat

2) The_Drizzle
XBL: The Drizzle09
Main: Akuma (updated)

3) PureRok
XBL: PureRok
Main: Cammy

4)Team Apocalypse Ninjas

1) FluxWaveZ
XBL: FluxWaveZ
Main: Balrog

2)
Serker
XBL: Serker
Main: Dhalsim

3)
DirrtyNinja
XBL: DirrtyNinja
Main: Rufus

#2 Posted by lordofultima (6280 posts) -

I'm interested. I'm discussing with possible team members and will get back to you.

#3 Posted by Jeffsekai (7052 posts) -

I prolly work so idn yet

#4 Posted by lordofultima (6280 posts) -

Kinda bummed that this isn't more of a burn through the roster type of team tournament. i.e. The first team for all three opponents to get defeated is the one who loses. But hey, this probably speeds things up a bit.

#5 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -
#6 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -
lordofultima said:
Kinda bummed that this isn't more of a burn through the roster type of team tournament. i.e. The first team ... [more]
This is just the rules for the first tournament like my regular go for broke tournament after it takes place i'll be asking feedback from you guys reguarding how you like the rules, and what you would like to see changed.
#7 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

In talks with my cousin about joining this.
We gotta scrounge up a third member, but we're definitely considering.

#8 Edited by lordofultima (6280 posts) -

Team "El Medium Kick!"

1) LordofUltima

XBL: Lordofultima
Main: Akuma

2) Crayola

XBL: vitaminwateryum
Main: El Fuerte

3) MB

XBL: Mike GiantBomb
Main: Gouken

#9 Edited by BoxyBrown56 (25 posts) -
#10 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -

still alot of slots left someone start making some teams.

#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19386 posts) -

Team Apocalypse Ninjas

1) FluxWaveZ
XBL: FluxWaveZ
Main: Balrog

2)
Serker
XBL: Serker
Main: Dhalsim

3)
DirrtyNinja
XBL: DirrtyNinja
Main: Rufus
#12 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -

Tournaments tomorrow wish we could have gotton a couple more teams in.

#13 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@Gambit: ya i wish also. i guess we will just have to go back to singles.
#14 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -

Twelve people is pretty close to the normal amount of people who sign up anyway, right? I don't think you could have expected more than maybe one more team than there are.

#15 Posted by Agnogenic_delete (1034 posts) -
@Gambit: I would but no one is up for a team.
#16 Posted by lordofultima (6280 posts) -

Good thing I remembered this was going on tomorrow, otherwise I totally would have not remembered. Hahah. Four teams is honestly more than I was expecting, considering it's 3 to a team anyway. Double Elim is going to be weird with like 4 teams, maybe this should be like a round robin deal instead?

#17 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19386 posts) -
lordofultima said:
Good thing I remembered this was going on tomorrow, otherwise I totally would have not remembered. Hahah. Four teams is ... [more]
I agree with the round-robin idea. 
#18 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -

round-robin sounds like a good idea want a regular or double round robin?

#19 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -

someone fill me in on what round robin is please.

#20 Edited by Gambit (727 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy: Each team plays each other either once or twice depending on if its double round or not. Who ever has the best record at the end wins
#21 Posted by MB (13089 posts) -
@Gambit: I'm in this tournament and I still don't understand how the hell this is going to work, or who is supposed to fight who how many times.
#22 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -
#23 Posted by MB (13089 posts) -
@Gambit: How do we determine who fights who in these brackets? Like...my team's first fight is against Team Flowchart, but who am I supposed to fight?
#24 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -
@MB: That Will be determined by your line up. Which will be set by your Team Captain and he will give that to me before we start each set of fights. Say your line is LordofUltima Crayola and then you. Since your third in the line up you would fight the 3 person in Team Flowcharts lineup.
#25 Posted by MB (13089 posts) -
@Gambit: So...are we supposed to know what the other team's lineup is before each match, or are the submissions blind?
#26 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -
@MB: When I have each teams lineup they will be made public so they won't be able to cheat and play the match in a different order/
#27 Posted by BoxyBrown56 (25 posts) -

how are we doin this RRT? Is it just every team fight each other or is every member gonna fight every other member and add up total win loss?

#28 Posted by lordofultima (6280 posts) -

This should be interesting, I've been cranking out the rust in training for an hour or so.

#29 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -

Round 1 results

Team Boom....Go back to your MOMMA!!!---- Wins-6   Losses-3

Team "El Medium Kick!"---------  Wins-4  Losses-5

Team Flowchart-------------- Wins-2 Losses-7

Team Apocalypse Ninjas---------- Wins-6 Losses-3

#30 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19386 posts) -

Good going, Apocalypse Ninjas, we did it!

#31 Edited by MB (13089 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: You guys kicked ass, it was fun! Your Balrog destroyed me as expected, but unfortunately I didn't get to ever fight against Serker for some reason. Maybe I wasn't supposed to? I'm a little pissed off about having to stand there and take a loss to DirrtyNinja and his laggy ass internet connection, but even if I had won I don't think it would have changed the outcome of the tournament.

DirrtyNinja...when it's more than one person complaining about your laggy connection, then it's you. Please do something about it, it's really unfair to your opponents to subject them to that. I literally had about a quarter to a third of a second of input lag, there was nothing I could do except stand there and let you win.
#32 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -

Well this tournament was a damned disaster. If I ever host another one and thats a big if. Its will be a 2 man at most. I don't see one at any time in the near future.

#33 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -
Gambit said:
Well this tournament was a damned disaster. If I ever host another one and thats a big if. Its will ... [more]
Somehow I knew disaster would come....and yet I did nothing to stop it.
#34 Posted by Serker (522 posts) -
@MB: hit me up for a player match? i got whipped by 3 cammys, and wasnt there to play Gambit. kind of a frustrating tournament for me. the Gen fight against Canned was good though
#35 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19386 posts) -

Yeah, sorry about the matchings, Serker.

#36 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@Serker: Ya it was good. Still not a fan of Dhalsim. Guess he is my worst match up.
#37 Edited by DirrtyNinja (715 posts) -
MB said:
DirrtyNinja...when it's more than one person complaining about your laggy connection, then it's you. Please do something about it, it's really unfair to your opponents to subject them to that. I literally had about a quarter to a third of a second of input lag, there was nothing I could do except stand there and let you win.
Dude get over yourself. Im in the UK i assure it isnt my connection, geography is the problem. Plus it also lagged as much for me as it did you.
#38 Posted by MB (13089 posts) -
DirrtyNinja said:
MB said: DirrtyNinja...when it's more than one person complaining about your laggy connection, then it's you. Please do something about ... [more]
Do you think it's right for you to enter a tournament where every single other player is from North America? I certainly would not enter a UK-based tournament. We're not playing an RPG here, latency is crucial for fair and fun matches. I hope you think about that the next time another Giant Bomb tournament comes around.
#39 Posted by DirrtyNinja (715 posts) -
Ive played in all the previous GB tournaments with no complaints. The fact that you see a supposed GB tourney as solely a  North American affair is probably a detriment to this site as a whole. I know there may be an issue with lag and for the most part i am willing to overlook that to have a bit of fun with the GB street fighting community. These are not serious tournaments and only serve as a vehicle to interact and play with other GB users be they American, British or Chinese. Until your peers see it fit to state in the rules that only "north americans" can enter these tournaments then i will be showing up.
#40 Edited by MB (13089 posts) -
DirrtyNinja said:
Ive played in all the previous GB tournaments with no complaints. The fact that you see a supposed GB tourney ... [more]
In essence, what you're saying is that you don't care if your involvement in the tournaments is creating a bad experience for other users, you're going to do it anyway, everyone else be damned. You know full well that the chances of having a stable and low-latency connection with people in North America is slim to none, yet you're trying to turn this around and paint me as some sort of xenophobic hate tank. Shitty connections aren't fun for anyone, and you're only making it worse by insisting on forcing your bad latency on the rest of us. Think about it.

We all know that one or two bars in SFIV is usually unplayable. Since you're so sensitive about this "North American vs UK/European" issue, maybe we need a rule in future tournaments that if connections are that poor, then those two people don't fight and something else is arranged instead.

By the way, not to put words in his mouth, but Gambit (you fought him after me) was complaining about your connection as well. It wasn't just me.
#41 Edited by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -

Wow what a wonderful idea this was! Next one will be singles again for sure. No more of this team stuff. Its the communisum of the Street Fighting world. Looks good on paper but oh god does it blow up in your face.

#42 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" Wow what a wonderful idea this was! Next one will be singles again for sure. No more of this team stuff. Its the communisum of the Street Fighting world. Looks good on paper but oh god does it blow up in your face. "
Was it really that bad? It sounded pretty cool honestly, but I was afraid it would turn out too messy.

Oh well. Anyway, why are you complaining? Didn't your team win :o
#43 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19386 posts) -
@Jolly_Lolly: No, our team won: FluxWaveZ, Serker and DirrtyNinja.  Most of the time I barely had any idea how my teammates were doing and it wasn't all that great.
#44 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Looks like I dodged a bullet not signing up for this...
Aw, who am I kidding.
I woulda had fun.

#45 Posted by Gunner_Thor (74 posts) -

Anybody got room for a Vega player?

#46 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -
@Gunner_Thor:  wow you should really read a thread before you post in it. This tournament was finished awhile ago dude.
#47 Posted by Gunner_Thor (74 posts) -
@Gambit:
lol, sorry bro.
#48 Posted by lordofultima (6280 posts) -

Yeah, teams are ridiculous to uphold, I had no idea what was going on the whole time. It seemed so cool too..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.