HELP! I want to join the community!

#1 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Hey SFIV GB Community!
 
You guys on the SFIV forum have basically made your own little mini-community within the GB community.  And I want to be a part of it.  I've never been that into fighting games but I want to be and I don't think I would have any trouble getting involved.  But obviously with all the lingo you guys use and terms its hard to just understand things in this forum without some help.  Also it seems that with SFIV being a huge comeback for fighting games this wouldn't be a bad time at all. 
 
So I borrowed a copy of SFIV from a friend and started playing a bit.  I read through the beginner's guide on here and have gotten in some practicing.  But there are still quite a few things I don't understand.  More fighting game things than actual SFIV things.  Like Character tier's and things like that. And the acronym FADC??
 
I also read a few of the other topics created that said they wanted to start playing and I understand you have to find a character that suits you and such and to find a style of fighting that works for you.  But it seems that there are a select few characters that are just flat out better whether it be just amount of usable combos or damage output.
 
Anyways I guess I'm just looking for tips like any newcomer to this forum.  But I think what I'm looking for are more character based things.  Like what I should look for when choosing my main. I regularly play DOA 4 with a group of friend's if you can relate anything to that.  Even though I understand it's a totally different fighting game then the 2D plane Street Fighter series.
 
But hopefully you'll help a n00b out.
 
Thanks.

#2 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -

Are you on xbox?

#3 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
@AniMoney: No I borrowed it on ps3, but I haven't decided which I'm going to buy it for yet.
#4 Posted by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -
@fwylo: To start off, start playing around with some characters and see who you like and dislike.  I main is Honda.  I like his style of play is why I picked him.  Sure he isn't the best character in the game, but I still do fairly well with him and kick some ass online.
#5 Edited by Demigonis (192 posts) -
@fwylo: I'm really new to the SFIV community here also. I've been a Giantbomb lurker since the arrow pointing down podcasts, but I've just recently made this username to start entering discussions.
 
I'm really into the fighting game scene (more-so as a spectator because I'm really bad, haha.) The Giantbomb SFIV community seems really cool and I'm a fan of Seb's SFIV tournament streams from  www.frame-advantage.com and youtube. Most of the Giantbombers seem to play on the 360 and so do I. Perhaps one day I'll get up the courage to get my ass kicked by some of the players here, heh.
#6 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
@Demigonis: Haha as soon as I get the chance to play one of these fools I will.  I don't care about getting beaten down tons of times.  You learn a new trick every time.
 
But they are quite the crew on here.  Plus I want to win that fightpad that Stang keeps talking about that no one can seem to take from him.
#7 Edited by mubress (1517 posts) -
@fwylo: Well if you get it on PS3 then feel free to add me; PSN is mubress2.
 
As for advice, well, I'll say what most people say to beginners. 
 
  • Practice
  • Start off with Ryu or Ken
  • Practice
  • FInd a buddy of similar ability to spar with
  • Practice
  • Think about getting a Fightstick. It's much easier to learn to use one early then have to re-learn after you get used to a controller.
  • PRACTICE!!!
 
 Your Welcome :)
 
EDIT: Oh, and FADC means Focus Attack Dash Cancel. If you still don't know what I'm talking about then maybe read the manual again :)
#8 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

We're talkin about...practice

#9 Edited by Demigonis (192 posts) -
@fwylo: I'm super rusty at the moment because I haven't played in a couple weeks. Also I stink with the stock 360 controller, I really want to get a Fightpad or a FightStick but I'm too poor at the moment. :(
 
As for feeling out characters I would just start messing around with all of them and find one that feels right, or one that you enjoy the style of and start practicing with them.
 
Edit: Oh, also I think they're in the final portion of a tournament to determine the fate of Stang's Fightpad. I want one but there's no way I'd ever beat him or lordofultima, haha. (or maybe anyone else on this forum, lol.)
#10 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Um, play, join a tourney whenever we have them and you're in., But if all you do is sit and lurk, then no, you will not be part of the community.

#11 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -
@Jeffsekai:
Not a game, ... but PRACTICE!
#12 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
@mubress: 
@Jeffsekai:
K Ya I understand practice to get good at fighting games.
 
You want to be good with a certain character you practice with him till you know his combos and such and can react to any opposition

I'm talking about this community in general. Some of these posts that you guys put up can't even be understood because of fighting game terms.  Like characters of different Tiers.  Or acronyms like FADC. Or just different techniques like canceling and such.  Obviously I know what canceling is now because I read the beginners guide but that is just an example.  There are many things that are said that aren't in the guide.
#13 Posted by BagManForHire (382 posts) -

don't worry about those terms just yet till you get your base down and don't worry about tiers, use characters that you like then all that other stuff will fall into to place.

#14 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

No, go away.
 
 
I kid, I kid!  I'd say the first thing you should do is find your character.  Your main.  Then, it's all about practicing, learning your character's combos, learning everything about that character and the match-ups associated.
 
And perhaps someone should just post a "fighting game dictionary", if that could help you.  I'm not too familiar with all the lingo either, but I'm sure someone else could help better.
 
Tiers: Separation of characters related to their usage and their effectiveness against other characters.  The higher the tier of a character, the more that character is considered good.
 
FADC: Focus Attack Dash Cancel, a move done by moving immediately upon activation of a Focus Attack so that the charging of the move hasn't actually started.
 
Cancelling
: Interrupting an attack to perform another, usually done for combo purposes.  Symbol for it is xx.

#15 Posted by newmarcom (295 posts) -

I find the best way to join a gaming community is to have someone mentor you. If you can't find someone dedicated to put in the time, just ask the people you play with for some advice as you go.

#16 Posted by lordofultima (6215 posts) -
@newmarcom said:
" I find the best way to join a gaming community is to have someone mentor you. If you can't find someone dedicated to put in the time, just ask the people you play with for some advice as you go. "
Even simpler than that. Just play matches with people. That should do it. 
 
Also, probably 75% of the boards play on Xbox 360, just throwing that out there.
#17 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Thanks for those definitions haha.  Been wondering for a while.
 
It definitely seems that the biggest thing is just getting out and playing obviously though.  So I'll have to just do that and try and be active on this forum without feeling like too much of a newbie.
#18 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@fwylo: I won my own fightpad :p
 
I am sure i speak for us all, you are more then welcome in our community of misfits. Just don't troll (I am sure you won't), that is what makes it fun to stick to the SFIV board. 
 
PROTIP : Pick Ken. Learn Ken. Win.
#19 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
@Stang: Haha sounds good.  From what I've seen it seems you and Mr. Ultima are the top competition.  I consider myself a quick learner when it comes to games especially so we'll be battling soon enough.
 
But thanks for the welcoming.
#20 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

Go to this site ofen. Go to the forums and you'll find your way to the character specific forum threads. You should also find the subforum for whatever region you live in and see if you can find some good local sessions, those will help you more than anything. Region specific forums can be found here.
 

#21 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Just don't post on srk. Ever.

#22 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Practice. I just hit 300 hour in this game and I still suck ass compared to most on this forum. You won't be any good at all until you've sunk alot of time into the game. It's just the unfortunate truth.

#23 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" Practice. I just hit 300 hour in this game and I still suck ass compared to most on this forum. You won't be any good at all until you've sunk alot of time into the game. It's just the unfortunate truth. "
Word. Not too far away from 600 hours here :\
#24 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -

Interesting. I've been wanting to get into this game for a short while now, but I have no idea if I will like it or not.

#25 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@fwylo said:
" @AniMoney: No I borrowed it on ps3, but I haven't decided which I'm going to buy it for yet. "
First of all, get it on your xbox, or PC, and you will find a much more active community on giantbomb. 
 
Next, just stalking these forums is the best way to be introduced and welcomed to these forums. 
 
Just some things you should know: 
 
  • @Stang: is the best person on this forum (or @Lorfofultima: ).... and stang is really hot. So do not fight stang, but ultima is cool and won't kick your ass too hard.
  • @FluxWaveZ: and@AniMoney: are great users to spar with, they are always on.
  • @Thrawn: plays an awesome sumo.
  • I am one of the people who likes to start the tournaments here, besides stang, but he does not count because he will just cheat in the tourney.
 
There, got you up to speed on some of the main users, with a tad bit of jking and sarcasm. Anyways, have fun and do not be an asshole (like stang), and you will do just fine. 
#26 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@demontium: So basically I am a cheating asshole? Well, that sounds about right :p
 
You forgot douche bag though. Gambit will not be pleased.
#27 Posted by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -
@Stang said:
" Just don't post on srk. Ever. "
Word.  It just seems like there are tons of people over there that just talk shit.
#28 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

Welcome to the community :)
 
I disagree with those who say "start with Ken or Ryu"... Knowing Ken or Ryu isn't exactly going to help you much if you find a character like Blanka, Chun, or Balrog are more your style. Sure you'll know what to expect from them, but you can learn that just fighting them, as well. Though that said, if you want a fireball throwing, uppercut spamming character (pretty sure there's some geeky term like "shoto" for them), they're they best ones to start off with. I always go with the character that looks the coolest in my eyes (hence why I'm psyched about Juri, she's so deliciously evil! :D), but that's just me.
 
As Ultima said, the majority of people around here have SFIV on the 360, but there are plenty on the PS3 as well and even some with the PC version. 
 
Other than practice, practice, practice, try doing the trials. Some of the Hard ones can be insanely frustrating (a few took me hours of attempting over and over to beat) but they help with muscle memory even if you find yourself failing them constantly.

#29 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Question: Is Lord of Ultima overestimated/overhyped?  Because each time I've gone against him, I've ended up winning...  Stang, on the other hand, manages to beat my ass again and again (JJOR64 is the other one on these forums that can beat me pretty consistently).

#30 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11502 posts) -

I should probably come in here and say that I want to be more active in the GB Street Fighter community, but I'm waiting until SSFIV comes out to do so. That's right. I want my ass beaten by people other than @Stang: and @Symphony:, and then I will get really good with... T. Hawk (or similarly lame character) out of spite. 
 
However, I echo the sentiments of: Practice, practice practice. That's how I got past flowchart level.

Online
#31 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @Stang said:
" Just don't post on srk. Ever. "
Word.  It just seems like there are tons of people over there that just talk shit. "
But your still sexy as shit.
#32 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" Question: Is Lord of Ultima overestimated/overhyped?  Because each time I've gone against him, I've ended up winning...  Stang, on the other hand, manages to beat my ass again and again (JJOR64 is the other one on these forums that can beat me pretty consistently). "
Word on the street is u only beat him in the most recent torny due to his connection being ass. Not to mention how hard the Balrog/Akuma match is. Epically when all the Balrog does is hold down back.
#33 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: I also beat him in one of the previous old "Go For Broke" tourneys, but then again I had also beaten Stang in the same one...  Yeah, his connection crashed out, giving me one victory, but it still would have been the 2-2 at some point.  Like Lord of Ultima said, "Who knows how it would have turned out".  But I don't think that the matchup is a good reason at all because that's just how it is.  Then, there's just the creation of excuses.
#34 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: I'm just say'in
#35 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: Yeah, I'll probably need to get some more matches with him.
#36 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

from@FluxWaveZ said:

" Question: Is Lord of Ultima overestimated/overhyped?  Because each time I've gone against him, I've ended up winning...  Stang, on the other hand, manages to beat my ass again and again (JJOR64 is the other one on these forums that can beat me pretty consistently). "
From what I've gathered ultima has better technique but stang has those 600 hours of matchup experience. I've heard reports that the only matchup ultima knows is the akuma mirror match
#37 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Thrawn: Ultima does in fact have better execution (believe it or not he has more play time then me, same with Hedgehog). On the other hand, I don't put myself in many positions where people can deal massive damage on me for doing something stupid. I drop a shit load of combos online, but for the most part, when push comes to shove I get er done.
 
Is Ultima over hyped? Not at all. Once he gets going, his Akuma can be a real fucking pain in the ass. Not to be a dick to others, but I enjoy the matches with him the most. Now, if he will only play me more often then once every 6 months.....
#38 Edited by lordofultima (6215 posts) -
@fwylo said:

" @Stang: Haha sounds good.  From what I've seen it seems you and Mr. Ultima are the top competition.  I consider myself a quick learner when it comes to games especially so we'll be battling soon enough.  But thanks for the welcoming. "

Don't lump me in with Stang, he's a lot better than me (in all seriousness he is, he has a lot of match-up experience). SpecialBuddy is the man you're looking for, he uses his brain when he plays which causes him to be much better than me. 
 
I am overhyped, and I think my youtube videos are sort of a ruination of my image. People don't even see match videos of me and they assume I'm the hottest shit. This goes beyond Giantbomb, actual good players shout me out on stream like Haunts, and say that my akuma is "legit" and we should play. I feel really bad because those expectations are too high, and I can't hang with top Sagat play. Flux beat me because he has obviously played against Akuma more than I have played against Balrog, that as they say, is that. I also have what they call reverse clutch factor. When anything depends on me I lose it. 
#39 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

you need to pay me 1 pound :)

#40 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Woa, this thread went places I wasn't expect it to haha.  But I played for a solid 3 hours last night.  Unlocked all the characters and went through the Fei Long Trials.  Going through all the trials will probably be the first thing I do before choosing a "main".
 
@turbomonkey138:
I don't deal in pounds I deal in Kilograms. /sarcasm

#41 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@fwylo said:
" Woa, this thread went places I wasn't expect it to haha.  But I played for a solid 3 hours last night.  Unlocked all the characters and went through the Fei Long Trials.  Going through all the trials will probably be the first thing I do before choosing a "main".
 
@turbomonkey138: I don't deal in pounds I deal in Kilograms. /sarcasm "
FUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!
#42 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @fwylo said:

" @Stang: Haha sounds good.  From what I've seen it seems you and Mr. Ultima are the top competition.  I consider myself a quick learner when it comes to games especially so we'll be battling soon enough.  But thanks for the welcoming. "

Don't lump me in with Stang, he's a lot better than me (in all seriousness he is, he has a lot of match-up experience). SpecialBuddy is the man you're looking for, he uses his brain when he plays which causes him to be much better than me.  I am overhyped, and I think my youtube videos are sort of a ruination of my image. People don't even see match videos of me and they assume I'm the hottest shit. This goes beyond Giantbomb, actual good players shout me out on stream like Haunts, and say that my akuma is "legit" and we should play. I feel really bad because those expectations are too high, and I can't hang with top Sagat play. Flux beat me because he has obviously played against Akuma more than I have played against Balrog, that as they say, is that. I also have what they call reverse clutch factor. When anything depends on me I lose it.  "
This is not only depressing, it is horse shit. You are right about one thing, for whatever reason you are a bit lacking in the matchup department (probably because all your friends are Akuma's). When you are in serious mode, you are a beast. That is the truth. If you spent more time playing against randoms and saw a wider arrange of characters played by people with drastically different skill levels you would be untouchable. In my opinion you are right there with West. The only thing differentiating you two is you complain about Ken more then he does. And you discriminate because I live in Antarctica. Asshole.
#43 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1110 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" Question: Is Lord of Ultima overestimated/overhyped? "
Ya that guy is Hella FREE!
#44 Posted by lordofultima (6215 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @fwylo said:

" @Stang: Haha sounds good.  From what I've seen it seems you and Mr. Ultima are the top competition.  I consider myself a quick learner when it comes to games especially so we'll be battling soon enough.  But thanks for the welcoming. "

Don't lump me in with Stang, he's a lot better than me (in all seriousness he is, he has a lot of match-up experience). SpecialBuddy is the man you're looking for, he uses his brain when he plays which causes him to be much better than me.  I am overhyped, and I think my youtube videos are sort of a ruination of my image. People don't even see match videos of me and they assume I'm the hottest shit. This goes beyond Giantbomb, actual good players shout me out on stream like Haunts, and say that my akuma is "legit" and we should play. I feel really bad because those expectations are too high, and I can't hang with top Sagat play. Flux beat me because he has obviously played against Akuma more than I have played against Balrog, that as they say, is that. I also have what they call reverse clutch factor. When anything depends on me I lose it.  "
This is not only depressing, it is horse shit. You are right about one thing, for whatever reason you are a bit lacking in the matchup department (probably because all your friends are Akuma's). When you are in serious mode, you are a beast. That is the truth. If you spent more time playing against randoms and saw a wider arrange of characters played by people with drastically different skill levels you would be untouchable. In my opinion you are right there with West. The only thing differentiating you two is you complain about Ken more then he does. And you discriminate because I live in Antarctica. Asshole. "
I'm just being realistic, I'm not a free1up. "I WILL TAKE DAIGO DOWN ANY DAY." I don't have that fake level of confidence when I know my skills aren't there. Match-ups are the biggest part of SFIV, so by me not being familiar with them, that is a pretty big disadvantage. 
  
@SpecialBuddy said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
" Question: Is Lord of Ultima overestimated/overhyped? "
Ya that guy is Hella FREE! "
You play Gen, you don't count queer boy.
#45 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@lordofultima said:

  
@SpecialBuddy said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
" Question: Is Lord of Ultima overestimated/overhyped? "
Ya that guy is Hella FREE! "
You play Gen, you don't count queer boy. "
Lately he has been going easy mode and picking Sagat. I thought I knew you Hedgehog :\
#46 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1110 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @lordofultima said:

  
@SpecialBuddy said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
" Question: Is Lord of Ultima overestimated/overhyped? "
Ya that guy is Hella FREE! "
You play Gen, you don't count queer boy. "
Lately he has been going easy mode and picking Sagat. I thought I knew you Hedgehog :\ "
I hate Sagat just as much as the next guy. I am just messing around for now. Once Super comes out Ill be getting into serious mode again and saying "Fuck you Sagat / Juri!" just like i used to.
#47 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy: Yo real talk Adon looks like hes gonna be the new Rushdown kingggg
#48 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: Adon looks like a pussy wrapped in an asshole. Cody/Juri are going to get the most love.
#49 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@Stang: pshhh
#50 Posted by lordofultima (6215 posts) -

Cody is the dopest for sure, until Dudley is announced obviously.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.