How do you guys video-capture?

#1 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

I was going to put this in "general", but as it directly relates to SF4, I thought I'd bring it in here since I know a few of you do it one way or another.

Initially I was going to record some matches via camcorder, but realised my nerd-rage outbursts are pretty unsuitable for anyone elses ears (and it would just be something else to grab and smash). I've had a look on the net, but can't find anything particularly useful. Plugging the PS3 straight into the PC is the preferable option, but if there isn't a viable way of doing it cheaply I'll just have to point the camera at the screen, I guess.

#2 Posted by Jeffsekai (7044 posts) -

I use my video camera I know Ultima uses a Dazzle. Stang also uses a video camera.

#3 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -

When I occasionally record I split the output video so it goes to my PS3 and also to my capture device. I use an easycap which are cheap, although it records in SD so I have to play in SD also, which I don't like :(

#4 Posted by Arjuna (888 posts) -
@mubress said:
" When I occasionally record I split the output video so it goes to my PS3 and also to my capture device. I use an easycap which are cheap, although it records in SD so I have to play in SD also, which I don't like :( "
This. 

If you point a video camera at the screen, no one with discerning taste is going to watch it...  Recording right off of monitors with a camcorder looks TERRIBLE! 

Type "hot to video capture", or something like that, into youtube or google and I'm sure you'll come up with lottsa answers.
#5 Posted by EvilGreenDevil (199 posts) -
@Arjuna said:
" @mubress said:
" When I occasionally record I split the output video so it goes to my PS3 and also to my capture device. I use an easycap which are cheap, although it records in SD so I have to play in SD also, which I don't like :( "
This.  If you point a video camera at the screen, no one with discerning taste is going to watch it...  Recording right off of monitors with a camcorder looks TERRIBLE!  Type "hot to video capture", or something like that, into youtube or google and I'm sure you'll come up with lottsa answers. "

When i typed "hot to video" into google, I came up with  something else heh.  

Just messin
#6 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

I use a Flip Mino. Why? It cost $100. All of the good capture devices cost double that, and only serve one purpose, no thanks. I don't care if people think it is cheesy recording off of my hdtv. Recording is really done so I can see myself screwing up and for people to laugh at me, I am not trying to win an award for cinematography. 

#7 Edited by Jiggah (308 posts) -

1. On PC, you can use software like Fraps to do the capturing.
2. For consoles, if you want to capture the game at full quality, use something like the Hauppauge HD PVR.  It allows capturing of HD sources.

I thought for the comparison videos, Ultima used the PC version.

#8 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

use a video camera . Its good enough quality so i dont see the need to splash out on expensive capture cards

#9 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

I use a 5 year old handheld video camera positioned on some games pointed vaguely at my TV.

#10 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -
#11 Posted by Hamst3r (4530 posts) -
@GetEveryone said:
"Initially I was going to record some matches via camcorder, but realised my nerd-rage outbursts are pretty unsuitable for anyone elses ears"
I want nerd-rage videos. Make nerd-rage videos.
#12 Posted by JJOR64 (19025 posts) -

For PC I used Fraps.

#13 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

If you have a secondary Video out line you can use THIS
It's about $10 and as long as your TV has video out it will work  
You can play on your TV while your computer records
Or 
If you have a decent computer you can just plug your PS3 straight into it and play on your computer,
You need a good computer for this though or there will be a small delay

There are lots of options but this is by far the cheapest you'll find

#14 Posted by lordofultima (6259 posts) -

If you want to be serious, you need a PVR. those run like 230 bucks, and record 16:9 720p footage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.