Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

How many characters have first and last names?

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By wosifat

I've heard of different stories giving different characters first and last names, but I wonder how many are canon?  Here's what I can come up with...
    Ryu - A line of G.I. Joe Street Fighter figures had his last name as Hochi, and the Van Damme movie said Hoshi, but I don't know that he has an official one.
    Ken - Ken Masters
    Blanka - The live action movie said he was Carlos "Charlie" Blanka, suggesting that he was Guile's friend who'd died before SFII.  But the two are separate characters.  In his SFII ending, Blanka's first name is revealed to be Jimmy, but no last name is confirmed that I know.  Blanka, I believe, is a name given by villagers who'd spotted him before he won the tournament, reunited with his mom, and attempted to reintegrate into society.
    E. Honda - Edmond Honda
    Guile - The SF cartoon that used to come on USA said he was William Guile, and Van Damme was William F. Guile, but don't know that this is official.
    Chun Li - The G.I. Joe action figure was Chun Li Xiang.  In the live action movie, she was Chun Li Zang.  In the animated movie with the shower scene, she was just Chun Li.
    Zangief - no other name that I know of 
    Dhalsim - no other name that I know of
    Balrog - He's Mike Bison in Japan, but Balrog in the US to avoid lawsuits.  But don't know of a first and last name.
    Vega - Is Balrog in Japan, but has no other name that I know of.
    Sagat - The G.I. Joe toy was Viktor Sagat, and Wes Studi was Victor Sagat in the movie according to IMDb, but this is unconfirmed as far as I know of in the games.
    M. Bison - Is Vega in Japan, but is only M. Bison (not Mike) in the US.  Heard the "M" symbolizes the mystery surrounding him.
    Cammy - Was Cammy White in the animated movie, but as far as I know, this is unconfirmed.
    Fei Long - Was Fei Long Wong in the USA cartoon, but just Fei Long everywhere else.
    DeeJay - no other name that I know of
    T. Hawk - I think the "T" stands for Thunder, but that doesn't give him a first and last name 
    Abel - From his intro (he was found amnesiac in a Shadowloo lab) and Guile's (Charlie's body was never found,) I thought that he may be Charlie.  From his ending and Seth's mid-boss intro, I think he could be another Seth clone.  He doesn't remember a first and last name, and I don't know that his given birth name is Abel or that whoever gave his that name bothered to give him a last name.  I was attempting to solely focus on SF IV characters on this list, as this is the SF IV forum, but Charlie is Nash in Japan and was Charlie Nash in "The Legend of Chun Li," but I don't know if it's 100% official.
    C. Viper - "C" stands for Crimson.  Probably a code name, like Duke, Scarlet, Snake Eyes, Road Block, etc. Real name probably top secret, so she doesn't have to have one and quite possibly may not.
    Rufus - no other name that I know of
    El Fuerte - No doubt a ring name.  True identity unknown, as is the way of the luchador.
    Sakura - Sakura Kasugano
    Rose - no other name that I know of
    Dan - Dan Hibiki
    Gen - no other name that I know of 
    Akuma - Is Gouki in Japan, but doesn't have a confirmed first and last name.
    Gouken - no other name that I know of
    Seth - Is one of several clones (number 15.)  Probably doesn't have a proper last name.
    Guy - no other name that I know of
    Cody - no other name that I know of
    Adon - no other name that I know of 
    Dudley - no other name that I know of 
    Ibuki - no other name that I know of
    Makoto - no other name that I know of
    Juri - Juri Han
    This is off the top of my head without checking the database. Only others that I can think of from the series are that Karin is Karin Amoh and R. Mika ("R" stands for Raindow) is Mika Nakakawa.  Don't know the EX characters, only played a bit of the first in arcades.
    EDIT: Karin's last name is actually Kanzuki.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By lordofultima
    • Guile is William H. Guile, the animated series says William F. Guile, which makes no sense.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By rjayb89

Ah, ol' Billy Guile.

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By mrjared

Anything you learned from either the Western cartoon, movies, anime, anything like that is probably wrong, so toss out Ryu (no last name), Blanka (no last name), Guile (I'm pretty sure the "William" part was never used in the games), Chun-li (no last name), Balrog (He's only Mike Bison in Japan, so it's too messed up anywhere else), Sagat (hey, you forgot that he used to be called "Iron Fist' ;D), Cammy and Fei-Long.  

C.Viper also doesn't have a real name as you suspected, its a codename.  

The only characters off the top of my head that have full names are Sakura Kasugano, Juri Han, Ken Masters, Dan Hibiki and maybe a small handful of others. 

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda

As T. Hawk is a Native American, chances are 'Thunder Hawk' -is- his name.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scooper
    @MrJared said:
    " Anything you learned from either the Western cartoon, movies, anime, anything like that is probably wrong, so toss out Ryu (no last name)"
    I agree. Unless it's in the games or in some wierd artbook along side the games it shouldn't count because the names from the movies wouldn't likely come from the people who designed and made the characters in game but from a suit on the movie set saying "THEY GOT TO HAVE FIRST NAMES!!! GUILE!? ERRRR HE CAN BE CALLED BILL GUILE, THAT'S A STRONG NAME OK TAKE 46 AND ACTION!!!!!".
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Jambones

I think it's Cammy White for sure.

EDIT: Checking around, I think her surname is mentioned in SSF2.

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wosifat
    @Jambones said:
    " I think it's Cammy White for sure.  EDIT: Checking around, I think her surname is mentioned in SSF2. "
    Don't remember it mentioned, but haven't beaten SSF2 in so long.  May try to beat SSF2THDR (ah, the names...) to see if there's anything.
    wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wosifat
    @lordofultima said:
    "
    • Guile is William H. Guile, the animated series says William F. Guile, which makes no sense.
    "
    Any source for this?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HandsomeDead

To me, William F. Guile and Mike Bison are canon. Mainly be cause it really pissed off my mate when i'd talk about Will and Mike as real characters.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By Serker

Blanka Jones

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wosifat
    @MrJared said:
     Sagat (hey, you forgot that he used to be called "Iron Fist' ;D
    Correction:  I didn't KNOW he used to be called "Iron Fist."  Interesting...
    newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By newmarcom

A bit off-topic, but there are more characters with full names in the Street Fighter Universe than one might think.

• Karin Kanzuki - Rival of Sakura Kasugano, first introduced in Street Fighter Alpha 3
    • Maki Genryusai - Originally from Final Fight 2 as a replacement for Guy, introduced in Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Capcom Vs. SNK 2
    • R. Mika - stage name Rainbow Mika, real name Mika Nanakawa, first introduced in Street Fighter Alpha 3
    • Charlie Nash - Unconfirmed if this is official as Nash is his name in Japan
    • Allen Snider - Rival of Ken Masters, first introduced in Street Fighter EX
    • Pullum Purna - First Arabian street fighter, first introduced in Street Fighter EX
    • C. Jack - Full name Cracker Jack, likely a pseudonym as the name refers to him using a baseball bat in fights
    • D. Dark - Full name Doctrine Dark, first introduced in Street Fighter EX
    • Blair Dame - Original Akira character, first introduced in Street Fighter EX
    • Skullomania - Real name Saburo Nishikoyama
    • Hugo Andore - One of the Andore's from Final Fight, first introduced in Street Fighter 3: Second Impact
    • Rolento F. Schugerg - I didn't know he had one. I cheated and looked this one up.
    • Cody Travers - Was given a last name in Final Fight: Streetwise. Unknown as official. Maybe Super Street Fighter 4 will tell.
    • Yun Lee and Yang Lee - Were addressed as the "Lee Brothers" in the Street Fighter 3: Second Impact ending.

It makes me wonder how many hours I spent playing Street Fighter games to vaguely remember all those people.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By AniMoney

Bill Rog

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wosifat
    @newmarcom said:

" A bit off-topic, but there are more characters with full names in the Street Fighter Universe than one might think.

• Karin Kanzuki - Rival of Sakura Kasugano, first introduced in Street Fighter Alpha 3
    • Maki Genryusai - Originally from Final Fight 2 as a replacement for Guy, introduced in Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Capcom Vs. SNK 2
    • R. Mika - stage name Rainbow Mika, real name Mika Nanakawa, first introduced in Street Fighter Alpha 3
    • Charlie Nash - Unconfirmed if this is official as Nash is his name in Japan
    • Allen Snider - Rival of Ken Masters, first introduced in Street Fighter EX
    • Pullum Purna - First Arabian street fighter, first introduced in Street Fighter EX
    • C. Jack - Full name Cracker Jack, likely a pseudonym as the name refers to him using a baseball bat in fights
    • D. Dark - Full name Doctrine Dark, first introduced in Street Fighter EX
    • Blair Dame - Original Akira character, first introduced in Street Fighter EX
    • Skullomania - Real name Saburo Nishikoyama
    • Hugo Andore - One of the Andore's from Final Fight, first introduced in Street Fighter 3: Second Impact
    • Rolento F. Schugerg - I didn't know he had one. I cheated and looked this one up.
    • Cody Travers - Was given a last name in Final Fight: Streetwise. Unknown as official. Maybe Super Street Fighter 4 will tell.
    • Yun Lee and Yang Lee - Were addressed as the "Lee Brothers" in the Street Fighter 3: Second Impact ending.
      It makes me wonder how many hours I spent playing Street Fighter games to vaguely remember all those people. "
    I thought I remembered Karin's being Amoh, but it's been ages since I played Alpha 3.  Pondering buying it again, but don't know which version to get.  I had heard Hugo Andore somewhere, but I didn't realize it was canon.  And I think I heard Rolento's last name somewhere as well.
    EDIT: I do remember Karin's last name being Kanzuki now and I figured out where I got Amoh from.  Was confusing her with Kayin Amoh from Battle Arena Toshinden.
    King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16  Edited By King9999

Anything from the Street Fighter Plot Guide should be taken as canon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.