How to improve in street fighter IV

#1 Posted by pepsipat1 (227 posts) -

Hello giantbomb community I need some advice. I have recently gotten back into street fighter IV and I wish to know how to get better at the game. I have decided to no longer play as Ryu and started practicing with Cammy, Fei long, C.viper, Sakura and Rufus. Should I buy a fightstick and if so should a fighstick and if so a normal fightstick or the tournament fightstick? Should I just wait for the super street fighter fightstick to come out? What are some useful techniques I should to up my game? 

On a side note I wish to apologize for the vast number of questions I have. I havent been this into a fighting game since soul calibur II. Oh and one last thing. What is the best strategy for handling people who use ken,ryu, and Sagat?
#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

There have been several of these threads recently, so I'll just direct you to this one.

#3 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

I know one part of your last question, and that's that, as usual, Ryu pretty much has no weakness.
 I would say you be somebody like Gen, because very few people use him from what I've heard.

#4 Posted by pepsipat1 (227 posts) -

Yeah but Gen is essentially Chun-li but he instead of kicking he uses his hands instead of his legs and I kinda suck with both him and Chun-li so yeah....thanks for the link to the other thread.

#5 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

Don't be surprised if you encounter hostility in this thread because this is like the 3rd thread about this topic that's come up in the last few days. I guess you should start off by going through those threads and picking out advice there. I'm gonna go ahead and give you the same answer I give to all these questions: find a local scene. I don't mean go play with your friend who can always kick your ass. I mean find out who the top players in your area (state if possible) and find ways to play long sessions with them. These need to be high level players who have tons of tournament level experience. You might be thinking: 'OK, how the hell do I do that?" Shoryuken.com has all the answers for you. Go here and find you region's threads to find local play sessions. Depending on where you live the competition may be very helpful. While people are generally dicks on the srk boards they're all helpful once you actually start playing with them.  BTW, whereabouts do you live? If by chance you find somebody on this board who's involved in a local scene (it's happened before) 

Pretty much everyone else will tell you to spend countless hours in training mode and to find a good character etc and that's all good and important but there's no way to level up your skills than the constructive criticism you get during local matches.

#6 Edited by pepsipat1 (227 posts) -

Oh well that was actually a quite informative tip. I did have a friend who played street fighter IV with me when it first came out but due to the certain who chose a certain character cough..ken...cough he quit playing it. Thanks for the tips. 
Oh and I live in new york.

#7 Edited by Renahzor (991 posts) -

Ok, ill tackle these in order:
An arcade stick will usually, *eventually* make your execution better and more consistent.  Some people can never get the hang of it, or are just better on a pad.  You can take that for what its worth to you, and figure out if you want to invest in one, and which you should get.

Second, pick a main, and maybe an alt, and try and stay with them.  I play Cammy mainly, and can play other characters at a mediocre level, enough to beat up on noobs.  It depends entirely on your own preference, but remember Rufus and Ryu are very good characters and don't have as many glaring matchup issues as the others you posted.  That's not saying you cant be good with them, just that you have to expect some of the lower tier characters to struggle in certain situations once people figure out the weaknesses.   Find some local guys to play with if possible, much better than internetz matchups.

Matchup specifics I can give for cammy, but not the others you have listed, as i only really know anything about her, rufus and ryu off your list, so I'll stick with cammy mainly, and some stuff may be ok general advice as well.

Cammy vs anyone:
Learn cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.lk xx spiral arrow combo and use it as hit confirmed knockdowns.  Abuse TKCS as much as you can, and learn to combo off of a connected hit HARD, you wont get many opportunities, so land that damage.  Learn her mixup game:  primarily what she can do off a backthrow and hooligan combo throw & how she can use TKCS/throw/poke/block as a mixup.

vs Ryu:
Do not play footsies with Ryu, his are just flat out better.  If you find that you need to control the ground, use c.mk and buffer into a spiral arrow on hit for a knockdown, but use that sparingly, as his cr.mk will stuff you, and they spam that a LOT.  Standing RH can also be used now and then as a decent poke, but again, do not rely on footsies.  Im going to get very long winded if I dont cut this off, learn to break down the fireball zoning, block crossups, tech his throws off FADC and bait dragon punches.  Know which of your combos can punish a whiffed/blocked DP the hardest.  Use TKCS (short cannon strike inches off the ground) at different timings to bait stupid shit, and punish accordingly.  I like to TKCS *pause* TKCS on wakeup to try and draw out a blocked DP, use whatever works best for you though.

vs Ken:
Insert all the stuff from ryu, but add in better crossups/rushdown at the expense of worse fireball zoning.  Most Kens I've played will happily break down their own fireball zone and get in close with you.  Again, its about blocking crossups, teching throws, and more importantly, punishing mistakes as hard as possible.  Vary your timings on combos, many Kens will get impatient with cammy's rushdown and do some very very unsafe SRKs.  The easiest thing to do is establish a pattern where they think they can hit you with SRK, but you can punish, and save that to win rounds/matches.

vs Sagat:
Good luck?  This is always a very poor match for me.  I have to abuse hooligan combo throw, and get them playing stupid to win.  Do not jump in on a Sagat with ultra meter (same with ryu to an extent).  Use EX spiral arrow to break down his fireball zone, and try to avoid long range footsies with him (short range is ok).  Get in tight and try to work at about the edge of cr.lk range, where he has a hard time dealing with the TKCS stuff.  Thats about all ive figured out.

#8 Posted by pepsipat1 (227 posts) -

Wow that to was extremely informative. I wasnt actually expecting such detailed advice so thank you.
#9 Posted by DRE7777 (398 posts) -

EXECUTION EXECUTION EXECUTION 

and 

COMBOS COMBOS COMBOS 

pick a character and learn these things haha

#10 Posted by pepsipat1 (227 posts) -

That one not so much.

#11 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -
@DRE7777 said:
" EXECUTION EXECUTION EXECUTION  and  COMBOS COMBOS COMBOS  pick a character and learn these things haha "
posts like this annoy be because they describe the mentality of most all online players. they think: "oh if I can jut learn all the sick combos I'll be so much better!" This is so far from the truth. If you take two new players and make one practice combos and the other only practice trying to hit people with single normal moves such as mk the normal move player will beast the combo player. My friend texted me one time: "hey I've been practicing and I've got a sick new combo let's play!" and then we played and I destroyed him. He could do the combo every time but it wouldn't ever hit me. All that time in training mode learning a combo won't prepare you for a real match where people can block your combos. That was my initial frustration, I spent time learning combos but in a match all my moves just got blocked and I had wasted all that time. When you're just learning to play your time should be spent learning stuff like which of your moves are safe and which moves are punishable
#12 Posted by DRE7777 (398 posts) -
@Thrawn said:
" @DRE7777 said:
" EXECUTION EXECUTION EXECUTION  and  COMBOS COMBOS COMBOS  pick a character and learn these things haha "
posts like this annoy be because they describe the mentality of most all online players. they think: "oh if I can jut learn all the sick combos I'll be so much better!" This is so far from the truth. If you take two new players and make one practice combos and the other only practice trying to hit people with single normal moves such as mk the normal move player will beast the combo player. My friend texted me one time: "hey I've been practicing and I've got a sick new combo let's play!" and then we played and I destroyed him. He could do the combo every time but it wouldn't ever hit me. All that time in training mode learning a combo won't prepare you for a real match where people can block your combos. That was my initial frustration, I spent time learning combos but in a match all my moves just got blocked and I had wasted all that time. When you're just learning to play your time should be spent learning stuff like which of your moves are safe and which moves are punishable "
Almost everything you said is true, but its not nearly as hard to learn as the combos and execution. After playing with a character for a little while these things should become pretty obvious. I was a noob not too long ago and after playing with a character for a while I knew some of the things I needed/wanted to do, it was just that my execution wasn't good enough to pull anything off. And although your right in saying learning combos and such isn't going to help you unless you know how to use them, your not going to get very far if you only know how to do basic attacks. Even if you know whats safe and so on, if you can only get one punch or kick in at a time your never going to beat anyone. 

Everything your saying is good advice, but trying to say that combos and execution aren't extremely important isn't correct.
#13 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

I would say that knowing combos is less important than knowing matchup information

#14 Posted by pepsipat1 (227 posts) -

So I should work on everything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.