I feel like playing a shoto....

  • 78 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Heartagram (1181 posts) -

I mostly main Honda and i have since SF2 but for whatever reason i really feel like playing a shoto so i have a secondary character for when i'm in a different kind of mood.  
 
Anyone have suggestions on who to start with? 
 
I have obviously played them all but never really to any extent.  
 
I was just wondering if maybe there was a certain character that may click with me better after playing Honda for so long.

#2 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Ken. You are on my friends list, get your mic and I will teach you how to whoop some ass!

#3 Posted by Heartagram (1181 posts) -

Well that sounds like a plan.

#4 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Sean is the correct answer.

#5 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Play as Sagat and then beat up on some Honda's.

#6 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -

Toyota

#7 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@AniMoney said:
" Toyota "
You are turning into Jeff....don't let that happen.
#8 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @AniMoney said:
" Toyota "
You are turning into Jeff....don't let that happen. "
OK Boss. 
 
Also if you're gonna play a shoto, play Akuma, he's the funnest in my opinion.
#9 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3261 posts) -

Yeah Sagat or Akuma are the most fun in SF4, but Ryu is the easiest to play as. 

#10 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11622 posts) -

Dan. Not only is he the greatest Shoto in the game, he is pretty much the greatest Street Fighter character ever made. Those flowcharting bastards quake in fear when they see a super taunt performed in front of them.

#11 Posted by HolyCrapItsAdam (448 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Dan. Not only is he the greatest Shoto in the game, he is pretty much the greatest Street Fighter character ever made. Those flowcharting bastards quake in fear when they see a super taunt performed in front of them. "
yep
#12 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Dan. Not only is he the greatest Shoto in the game, he is pretty much the greatest Street Fighter character ever made. Those flowcharting bastards quake in fear when they see a super taunt performed in front of them. "
Beat me to it. Dan is a blast :D
#13 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -
@Dan_CiTi said:
" Yeah Sagat or Akuma are the most fun in SF4, but Ryu is the easiest to play as.  "
Sagat is a powerhouse, Akuma is my favourite and Ryu is vanilla (cant go wrong)
#14 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Yeah, play Akuma. I see alot of Akuma's nowerdays (much more then Sagat and Ken) but they're pretty much always fun to play against.

#15 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Don't listen to these haters, Ken is the real deal. A good Ken is a thing of beauty.
 
/looks in mirror

#16 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

Another person has gone to the dark side........

#17 Posted by lordofultima (6236 posts) -

Don't play Akuma, I'm sick of mirror matches. Play Ryu, he's the only correct answer.

#18 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -
follow the lead of mike ross and learn some ken
#19 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @AniMoney said:
" Toyota "
You are turning into Jeff....don't let that happen. "
The fuck does that mean. >: (
#20 Edited by Driadon (2997 posts) -
@Stang said:

" Don't listen to these haters, Ken is the real deal. A good Ken is a thing of beauty. /looks in mirror "


Oh, look, it's Vega. 
 
Give them all a go, find which you prefer. Out of all the shotos I actually do best with Dan; don't write off any character until you get a feel for them.
#21 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

Do you really want to play as this dude?


Don't listen to Stang!
Dan is the man!
#22 Edited by SamStrife (1282 posts) -
Dhalsim.  Trust me, if you put the effort into him and learn to use him you become nigh on unstoppable.
#23 Posted by Heartagram (1181 posts) -
@Gargantuan:
I'm not the biggest ken fan honestly always had a hard time hitting his ultra.  
 
I'll have to take the time out to try each out in some arcade mode or something.  
 
In the past i have enjoyed Gouken but I haven't really touched him since the game came out.
#24 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Playing with Ken teaches you not to rely on ultra, after all fierce srk fadc ultra is only good for 300 damage. Whatever you decide, stay away from Ryu, we have enough of them as it is.

#25 Posted by Pessh (2459 posts) -

Dan.

#26 Posted by Scullinator (512 posts) -

I had this same idea and am waiting for the new game to come out and pick one of the new characters.  That way i dont feel so bad when I get beat, cause HEY, im trying this new character out and I dont know what the hell Im doing.

#27 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Stang said:
" Playing with Ken teaches you not to rely on ultra, after all fierce srk fadc ultra is only good for 300 damage. "
WHINE.
 
However, seriously, I'd say play as Ken. He seems like a really fun character to play as. That is, if you don't care much about tier lists. If you do, then play as Ryu. I have a hard time considering Sagat as a shoto.
#28 Posted by REVenant00 (7 posts) -

I'd play Ryu for the basics of a shoto.

#29 Posted by Heartagram (1181 posts) -
@Napalm: I don't really care about a list if i can win then im happy. I don't need to be pro i just want to have fun.
#30 Posted by lordofultima (6236 posts) -
@Heartagram said:
" @Napalm: I don't really care about a list if i can win then im happy. I don't need to be pro i just want to have fun. "
All depends in how you view shotos I guess. If zoning with fireballs and footsies is your thing, then Ryu is really the only choice. If you want to rely more on being in their face and mix-up, you might go with Ken. Akuma does both of those things pretty well, so he's somewhere in the middle.
#31 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @Heartagram said:
" @Napalm: I don't really care about a list if i can win then im happy. I don't need to be pro i just want to have fun. "
All depends in how you view shotos I guess. If zoning with fireballs and footsies is your thing, then Ryu is really the only choice. If you want to rely more on being in their face and mix-up, you might go with Ken. Akuma does both of those things pretty well, so he's somewhere in the middle. "
Except I'm sure he's a more complicated character to learn.
#32 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @Heartagram said:
" @Napalm: I don't really care about a list if i can win then im happy. I don't need to be pro i just want to have fun. "
All depends in how you view shotos I guess. If zoning with fireballs and footsies is your thing, then Ryu is really the only choice. If you want to rely more on being in their face and mix-up, you might go with Ken. Akuma does both of those things pretty well, so he's somewhere in the middle. "
Except I'm sure he's a more complicated character to learn. "
not hard at all, the hardest thing to learn is the ultra and even that is easy if you watch a video to see the joystic movements
#33 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@roofy said:
" @Napalm said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @Heartagram said:
" @Napalm: I don't really care about a list if i can win then im happy. I don't need to be pro i just want to have fun. "
All depends in how you view shotos I guess. If zoning with fireballs and footsies is your thing, then Ryu is really the only choice. If you want to rely more on being in their face and mix-up, you might go with Ken. Akuma does both of those things pretty well, so he's somewhere in the middle. "
Except I'm sure he's a more complicated character to learn. "
not hard at all, the hardest thing to learn is the ultra and even that is easy if you watch a video to see the joystic movements "
I said he was probably a more complicated character to learn.
#34 Posted by lordofultima (6236 posts) -
@roofy: Well you're wrong, Akuma has a lot more to him than Ryu or Ken, and you have to emphasize more on flawless play, because risk-taking doesn't pay off due to glass jaw. So Napalm is right, much more complicated. That said, I can't play Ken worth a poop, so what do I know?
#35 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -
@lordofultima: i wasnt wrong, i had mistaken complicated for hard.
 
akuma isnt a hard character to learn, its the style of play that takes practice
#36 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@lordofultima: I will teach how to play Ken. I still think you should use him, you would be amazing with him if you gave him a little time and effort.
 
And Akuma is an incredibly difficult character to learn if you actually want to win.
#37 Posted by lordofultima (6236 posts) -
@roofy said:
" @lordofultima: i wasnt wrong, i had mistaken complicated for hard.  akuma isnt a hard character to learn, its the style of play that takes practice "
Define learning then, because it's certainly more than, "I know his special moves, I know some combos." That's not what is hard about learning Akuma. It's more, "I know how to mix-up proper, safe, and efficient. I know the best time to use each of my tools."
#38 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @roofy said:
" @lordofultima: i wasnt wrong, i had mistaken complicated for hard.  akuma isnt a hard character to learn, its the style of play that takes practice "
Define learning then, because it's certainly more than, "I know his special moves, I know some combos." That's not what is hard about learning Akuma. It's more, "I know how to mix-up proper, safe, and efficient. I know the best time to use each of my tools." "
Indeed. I wouldn't ever think about learning Akuma. He does too much. I prefer a character who only has a few moves. The trade off is Akuma does everything pretty good.
#39 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -
@lordofultima: i define learning a character as knowing then entire moveset and recovery time for each attack.
 
the style of play (knowing when to push or back off) is what i think requires practice with akuma
#40 Posted by demontium (4708 posts) -

Shoryuken....

#41 Posted by Majinken (136 posts) -

There is only one choice.

 

#42 Edited by Symphony (1912 posts) -

No one's mentioned Sakura? She's the best, by far!

#43 Posted by lordofultima (6236 posts) -

Shoto is Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Dan. Those are the only shotos IMO. Sagat, Gouken, and Sakura should not be considered shotos.

#44 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -
@Symphony said:
" No one's mentioned Sakura? She's the best, by far! "
She also requires crazy good execution and good mix up...not so good for begginers
#45 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" Shoto is Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Dan. Those are the only shotos IMO. Sagat, Gouken, and Sakura should not be considered shotos. "
Odd you mention this right after I say Sakura, but seem to have ignored it even though people were mentioning Sagat earlier (or even Dhalsim).
 
Clearly Sakura is so powerful that people are trying to keep her out of this conversation!
 
@Jeffsekai said:
" @Symphony said:
" No one's mentioned Sakura? She's the best, by far! "
She also requires crazy good execution and good mix up...not so good for begginers "

Pfft, ex shouoken spam!
#46 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -

My 37% win% says Sakura is the best shoto (if she can be classed as one)

#47 Posted by lordofultima (6236 posts) -
@Symphony: Yeah, precisely because you said Sakura it made me snap.
#48 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -
@jaycee13 said:
" My 37% win% says Sakura is the best shoto (if she can be classed as one) "
She can! Ignore the naysayers! She admires and tries to be like Ryu, so it stands to reason she's learning the way of the shoto.
 
@lordofultima said:
" @Symphony: Yeah, precisely because you said Sakura it made me snap. "

I knew it.
#49 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -

Gouken is the backwards shoto. He is an otohs.  
 
Sakura wishes she was a shoto, but she's not there yet, so she's like a sho.  
 
Sagat does muay thai, but plays pretty similar to a shoto, so he's a TIGER. Totally makes sense.

#50 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

I find Rufus a good Anti-Honda.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.