I get my ass handed to me

#1 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

Well i decided to record some matches ...and this one match made me depressed . Any pointers on how to improve next time ?  
 
 

#2 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@turbomonkey138 said:

" Well i decided to record some matches ...and this one match made me depressed . Any pointers on how to improve next time ?  
 
 

"
I wonder how many people will think this video is something else lol
#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18996 posts) -
@turbomonkey138: Random ultras don't work.  :P      That was a solid Sakura.  I've seen better.
#4 Edited by Renahzor (991 posts) -

when Sakura has even 1 EX stock you have to watch your ass for that EX tatsu(whatever hers is called) which combos hard into a super ambiguous crossup off the air reset, and will stun you in 2 cycles.  At 3:03 she starts this combo off a focus attack, and ends up stunning you off the mp air reset->cross under and taking the round.  Sakura's focus is deceptively long range, dont mess around, just backdash away from her if you have to.  Watch out for that damn neutral jump HK as well, cr.HP should stuff that shit, but ive never tried with guile.  
 
Basically, this fight revolves around her making you do something that results in a super ambiguous cross-under and can stun VERY quickly.  you can poke with her from medium-> long range, but not from up close, she has good priority on cr.mp as you can see in the first round.  also try and stay away from guile's double sweep, that is really punishable.  Get out of the habit of random ultras, even if they connect sometimes.  :)  Learn to put them in combos more often or to beat long recovery moves.  
 
Finally, and something I need to work on as well, be MORE patient with guile when you have a life lead.  let Sakura burn some meter trying to open you up.  you had a big lead in round one but let it go by being very agressive on knockdowns, resulting in eating a EX SRK.  you would have won the round by blocking that, and you can be very sure they'll try it when they get desperate.  Use cr.HP to anti air when in some situations, as its more reliable sometimes than flashkick!

#5 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @turbomonkey138: Random ultras don't work.  :P      That was a solid Sakura.  I've seen better. "
Yea i never see Sakura's ...ever so i was fucked
#6 Posted by Carnage1290 (114 posts) -

I'm a turtle when it comes to SSIV so my only real advice is to maybe block more because you got hit by some moves that shouldn't of hit you.  Although I don't blame you for losing to that Sakura, I almost certainly would have as well. 

#7 Posted by pepsipat1 (227 posts) -

I think it something else. Something that I'll never unsee. I dont have any constructive things to add to this conversation. Sorry that stuff happens to far too often also.
#8 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @turbomonkey138: Random ultras don't work.  :P      That was a solid Sakura.  I've seen better. "
I thought she was going to jab me so i did the ultra.. i just read the situation wrong
#9 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@Renahzor said:
" when Sakura has even 1 EX stock you have to watch your ass for that EX tatsu(whatever hers is called) which combos hard into a super ambiguous crossup off the air reset, and will stun you in 2 cycles.  At 3:03 she starts this combo off a focus attack, and ends up stunning you off the mp air reset->cross under and taking the round.  Sakura's focus is deceptively long range, dont mess around, just backdash away from her if you have to.  Watch out for that damn neutral jump HK as well, cr.HP should stuff that shit, but ive never tried with guile.    Basically, this fight revolves around her making you do something that results in a super ambiguous cross-under and can stun VERY quickly.  you can poke with her from medium-> long range, but not from up close, she has good priority on cr.mp as you can see in the first round.  also try and stay away from guile's double sweep, that is really punishable.  Get out of the habit of random ultras, even if they connect sometimes.  :)  Learn to put them in combos more often or to beat long recovery moves.    Finally, and something I need to work on as well, be MORE patient with guile when you have a life lead.  let Sakura burn some meter trying to open you up.  you had a big lead in round one but let it go by being very agressive on knockdowns, resulting in eating a EX SRK.  you would have won the round by blocking that, and you can be very sure they'll try it when they get desperate.  Use cr.HP to anti air when in some situations, as its more reliable sometimes than flashkick! "
I am a impatient guy : /
#10 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

don't use gulie's sweep, it sucks. people can hit you in between the two hits. some characters can even ultra you. other than that I suggest watching videos of tournament level guile players. Here is a good place to start:
 
 http://streetfighterdojo.com/sf4/characters/guile.html

#11 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@Thrawn said:
" don't use gulie's sweep, it sucks. people can hit you in between the two hits. some characters can even ultra you. other than that I suggest watching videos of tournament level guile players. Here is a good place to start:   http://streetfighterdojo.com/sf4/characters/guile.html "
Cheers that's a awesome site you got there .
#12 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

I get my arse handed to me on easy in arcade mode.  
 
yeah, I hate this game.

#13 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@turbomonkey138 said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @turbomonkey138: Random ultras don't work.  :P      That was a solid Sakura.  I've seen better. "
I thought she was going to jab me so i did the ultra.. i just read the situation wrong "
Never wake up Ultra unless it's a last resort. Alot of people will pretend as if they're going to jab or SRK or grab you on wakeup and then at the last second go into block and then punish you big. Only really use Ultra if it's a garantee like after a blocked SRK or Ultra or if the chip damage will finish them off. 
 
A little advice would be to punish all those blocked things like SRK from Sakura with a c.MP, hard kick/EX Flashkick. It does a ton of damage and is easy to do.
 
Also, I had the 'Gotta love the Hair' title for a while. I love that one.
#14 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -

You need to work on the basics a lot more.  
 

  • c.hp when they jump 
  • jab sonic boom from afar to annoy them and you can use it as a shield and run after it for a mixup
  • don't use sweep so much, it's punishable in the middle, maybe use low forward, and more jabs/shorts
  • stop with the random ultras
  • if your opponent does a lot of wakeup reversals, just block or try a safe jump/crossup and then punish them
  • speaking of punish, if they whiff anything big, low strong xx flashkick(ex if you have it) is a solid punish
  • go for throws up close, you can grab people out of normals a lot in this game
 
Feel free to add me and we can play sometime, my gt is AniMoney. 
#15 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -
@turbomonkey138: It's very helpful. Instead of having to play tons of matches and learn what not to do the hard way you can just watch the pros do it
#16 Posted by Gunner_Thor (74 posts) -

I think I've played this sakura with Gief a while back.  You need to work on your poke game and be a lot more patient.  You have a character with a crap ultra and a deffensive nature, so it's to your advantage to turtle.  Zone her out with some fireballs, airthrow if she tries jumping.  NEVER do that cr.RH unless it's guaranteed knockdown otherwise the person can either focus the second leg, or poke after the first hit leading to massive damage.  Work in more tick throws.
#17 Posted by NinjaHunter (973 posts) -

Pretty much what everyone else has said and I'd like to add that I really hate when people wait for the other person to pick their character. Just a pet peeve of mine.

#18 Posted by JJOR64 (18996 posts) -
@NinjaHunter said:
"I really hate when people wait for the other person to pick their character. Just a pet peeve of mine. "
I'm with you there.  When I play randoms, it seems like they do that most of the time.
#19 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@AniMoney said:
" You need to work on the basics a lot more.  
 
  • c.hp when they jump 
  • jab sonic boom from afar to annoy them and you can use it as a shield and run after it for a mixup
  • don't use sweep so much, it's punishable in the middle, maybe use low forward, and more jabs/shorts
  • stop with the random ultras
  • if your opponent does a lot of wakeup reversals, just block or try a safe jump/crossup and then punish them
  • speaking of punish, if they whiff anything big, low strong xx flashkick(ex if you have it) is a solid punish
  • go for throws up close, you can grab people out of normals a lot in this game
 
Feel free to add me and we can play sometime, my gt is AniMoney. 
"
Okay i will work on those :)
#20 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@Gunner_Thor said:
" I think I've played this sakura with Gief a while back.  You need to work on your poke game and be a lot more patient.  You have a character with a crap ultra and a deffensive nature, so it's to your advantage to turtle.  Zone her out with some fireballs, airthrow if she tries jumping.  NEVER do that cr.RH unless it's guaranteed knockdown otherwise the person can either focus the second leg, or poke after the first hit leading to massive damage.  Work in more tick throws. "
Sweep, FADC grab can sometimes work pretty well but yeah I agree. Don't sweep unless you really thing it'll hit and as a rule of mine I won't sweep unless I got 2 meters to use if it gets blocked. Unless I'm going up against a player who obviously doesn't know it can be punished, then I'll use it more.
#21 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" @Gunner_Thor said:
" I think I've played this sakura with Gief a while back.  You need to work on your poke game and be a lot more patient.  You have a character with a crap ultra and a deffensive nature, so it's to your advantage to turtle.  Zone her out with some fireballs, airthrow if she tries jumping.  NEVER do that cr.RH unless it's guaranteed knockdown otherwise the person can either focus the second leg, or poke after the first hit leading to massive damage.  Work in more tick throws. "
Sweep, FADC grab can sometimes work pretty well but yeah I agree. Don't sweep unless you really thing it'll hit and as a rule of mine I won't sweep unless I got 2 meters to use if it gets blocked. Unless I'm going up against a player who obviously doesn't know it can be punished, then I'll use it more. "
Yea i noticed i use the sweep waaaay to much . but i guess this is all learning experience
#22 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@turbomonkey138 said:
" @Scooper said:
" @Gunner_Thor said:
" I think I've played this sakura with Gief a while back.  You need to work on your poke game and be a lot more patient.  You have a character with a crap ultra and a deffensive nature, so it's to your advantage to turtle.  Zone her out with some fireballs, airthrow if she tries jumping.  NEVER do that cr.RH unless it's guaranteed knockdown otherwise the person can either focus the second leg, or poke after the first hit leading to massive damage.  Work in more tick throws. "
Sweep, FADC grab can sometimes work pretty well but yeah I agree. Don't sweep unless you really thing it'll hit and as a rule of mine I won't sweep unless I got 2 meters to use if it gets blocked. Unless I'm going up against a player who obviously doesn't know it can be punished, then I'll use it more. "
Yea i noticed i use the sweep waaaay to much . but i guess this is all learning experience "
It's no problem at all. I used it alot at the stage you're at. You seem way more capable and eager to learn then alot of people that come into this forum so that's awesome. In a few months when super comes out I can easily see you being one of the big contenders on this forum if you keep playing and enjoying the game.
#23 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -

I HAVE SETH!!!!!!! OWNED 
 
 
 
:P

#24 Posted by Gunner_Thor (74 posts) -
@ZombieHunter said:
"I HAVE SETH!!!!!!! OWNED    :P "
man, I finally got bored enough to unlock Seth this weekend.  He'll be my joke character

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.