Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Ideas for the next GFB tourny

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Gambit

Well I have a date in mind for the next Go for Broke tournament, but before I start a thread for it. Thought I would get some input from the people who played in it about how to make the next one better. Making it double elim seems like it would go over pretty well. Was also thinking about a rule that a person has to have been a Giantbomb member for atleast 2 weeks to join (people who played in the first one would be exempt from this).

Those are just ideas nothing set in stone, but let me hear from you all. I'm hosting these for all of us to have fun so lets try to make this better from everyone.

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SpecialBuddy

Those all sound like good ideas. Hopefully Ill be able to join the next tourny!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

I'd like to see the ladder be announced a day before the actual tournament, and specific times set for each brackets' fights so we're not waiting around for hours wondering if people are going to show or not.  Something like...the first fights should start by 3pm.  You have 30 minutes to finish your fight and report the winner and to get ready for the next bracket, which will start at 3:30.  This way we can get the entire thing done in half as much time or less, and people will know far in advance what is expected of them before signing up.

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gambit

Yeah that will be good to do MB. Last tourny was a little to unorganized but was my first time hosting a tourny so a few mistakes and stuff were made but hopefully this thread will help fix and stream line some stuff for this next one.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By ImperiousRix

Definitely double elim sounds good.  I also like MB's proposal of early bracket posting and set time constraints.  Might help iron out some of the problems we had in the last one.
    Also, perhaps there should be a bronze medal match between the two semi-finals losers so we can have a top 3 going.

hoody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By hoody

Good calls all around. I have to third (or fourth...?) the motion that we go double-elim too, and we should definitely have a 3rd place match.

After the first tournament, I think it might be a good idea to consider using a different format: best of three MATCHES, two ROUNDS each. I think this will give each competitor more time to work out the jitters, and to get an honest shot at adapting to their opponents. It sucks getting shut down right as you're having that "a HA!" moment.

In keeping with MB's suggestion to keep things more organized, would it be a good idea to run two chatrooms during the tournament this time? One will be for us to just chill out and talk in, the other will be for roll call/match results. Probably make things easier than sifting through nonsense while trying to find out the statuses.

My two cents. Boo yah.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jeffsekai

I think if we all join a p arty or something and even after you lose still have people to fight  like a losers bracket, i lost the first round so ti was a pretty lack luster experience for me =\ would have like more communication online n such.

hoody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hoody
    Jeffsekai said:
    "I think if we all join a p arty or something and even after you lose still have people to fight  like a losers bracket, i lost the first round so ti was a pretty lack luster experience for me =\ would have like more communication online n such."
    Oh yeah... good call. Of couse, there's a limit to how many can be in a party together, but this isn't a bad idea at all.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Jeffsekai
    hoody said:
    "Jeffsekai said:
    "I think if we all join a p arty or something and even after you lose still have people to fight  like a losers bracket, i lost the first round so ti was a pretty lack luster experience for me =\ would have like more communication online n such."
    Oh yeah... good call. Of couse, there's a limit to how many can be in a party together, but this isn't a bad idea at all."
    yea I know but it would still be nice to have some more communication then running back to my computer every 5 secs and having to scroll up for 5 mins to figure out what happend
    Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gambit

I like alot of these idea's I thought about making the matchs best 2 out of 3 i'm just worried about how long it would take to finish the tourny if its double elim with each match best 2 out of 3. Also does everyone like the registering of characters and using the same one the entire tourny?

SilverShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By SilverShadow

I like the idea of registering the characters and using them the entire tourny, but perhaps instead of just using only 1 the entire time maybe you are alowed to have a backup. So you can register a total of 2 characters. That way you still have some lee way. I.E.- if you choose to play as Ryu and you are horrible against Sagat or something and whaddaya know the person you go against has picked Sagat. That way you can choose your backup and can't blame a loss on character matchups

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PureRok

Well, if you do best 2/3 games in a match, then the loser gets the choice to switch characters for the second game. That's what Evo does.

The winner of the first game in the match, however, has to use the same character.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Hey Gambit, next time you set up a tournament send me a PM so I can plug the tourney on the Community Spotlight.

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gambit

I like purerok's idea for character usage. Was also thinking that you could register 2 characters and swich to the other character if you lose and go to the losers bracket. And I will make sure to do that ZombiePie.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PureRok

Basically, I really like Evo's set up rules for the matches, which can be read here: http://evo2k.com/?page_id=47#matchplay

Obviously it has to be adjusted slightly to better work with the format we'll be dealing with, but their general rules are definitely the best I've seen.

hoody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hoody

As far as character selection/registration goes, if we're going to run back-ups, I think it should go like this:

Everyone chooses a MAIN. This MAIN tourney character is ALWAYS used first by all players in all brackets. After the first match, winner MUST keep playing as their main while loser may then choose their ALT character.

If the player using their ALT character wins the second match, then THEY must now stick with their ALT for the tie-breaker match, and the loser of the second match may switch to THEIR alt.

The only time anyone may switch to their ALT is during a tournament set of matches. After every set, every player must go back to their main for the next fight. This would allow everyone to have a back-up plan without opening the door to counter-picking during opening matches.

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By bagmanforhire

i like the best 2 out of 3 format 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.