Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

I'm only any good facing left??

GenghisJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GenghisJohn

Anyone else have this issue?  If my char is facing to the left I can pull off my combos abought 90% of the time and my supers and ultras about 99% of the time.   If I end up facing to the right like you would if you were playing single player I totally suck.   

I've had dudes wide open for strings of combos and cant get an ultra out or anything!  Arg! 

I'm using the white fightstick (Non-tourney one) and I started maining Abel. 

I know the answer is gonna be to practice, and I'm going to but I just needed to vent!  Why cant everyone just stay to my left!

jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jaycee13

im the same with the 2x qcf on the right side of the stick. I also have to do it after a dash the opposite way so its quite difficult but im slowly getting better the more i do it. How long have you had your stick? Its probably just a case of practise like you said.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By KowalskiManDown

This reminds me of how I always do terrible playing on the top court on tennis games.

Jimmy775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Jimmy775

Same issue, coincidentally with Abel as well. I find pacing myself when I do supers/specials seems to fix the problem by which I mean take another 1/8th of a second per motion on the stick (you don't have to do it as fast as you think you do). Unfortunatly, during heated matches I lose my composure a bit (control wise).

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

I love the lingo fighting game fans use. Maining is a great example.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ImperiousRix

I've always been the same way, but only it's facing right.  My execution is a lot better when I'm on the left-side of the screen.  It's ass when I'm on the right.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Stang
    @JJWeatherman: You just don't know!

I am the same to a lesser extent. From the right I am a beast. From the left, not so much, but I am improving. I really had to spend a lot of hours in training to force my left hand to do the 2xqcf motion correctly after doing a fadc. Now I hit ultra after an fadc from  the left side about 7/10 times, which is embarrassingly much better then I use to be. From the right side it is automatic.
    biggblack86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By biggblack86

i think a lot of players have that issue. i'm pretty good either way, but i do excel on the 1p side. i think its cuz im left handed.

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AniMoney

Yes I have the same issues with some characters.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By veektarius

When you're using a joystick, the muscles involved in moving one way versus moving the other are much different, whereas with a D-pad or analog stick that's not really the case.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

There's only one situation that I do have this problem, and that's facing left and doing Gen's Super into Ultra.
    I think I've missed it the last eight times and it's really bumming me out.

Shockwave3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By Shockwave3000

Crazy situation here, on pad I'm better when I face left, but on stick I'm better when I face right.  I also play a charge character so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By lordofultima

My FADC's are much better on the right, but QCF motions are much better on the left.

newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By newmarcom

This is why I like charge-type characters. I don't have to worry about sides if I know which way to block.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lordofultima
    @newmarcom said:
    " This is why I like charge-type characters. I don't have to worry about sides if I know which way to block. "
    I don't think charge characters makes player sides any less of an issue. I have a hard time throwing sonic booms on the right side as well.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By JJOR64

I was kinda like that for a while as well.  Since I joined games instead of hosting games, I got so used to the right side of the screen.  After I got my stick I tried to break that habit and I did.

Mrbiscuit101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mrbiscuit101

On the 1p side, I'm much better with a stick but the complete opposite with a fightpad.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's the opposite for me, I can only face right, when I face left, all my skills dissapears. I can't do any special moves that direction.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Renahzor

I'm the same, better from the 2p side than from the 1p side.  I started adjusting how I'm holding the stick when I end up on the 1p side, so to do QCF motions I pull the stick down with my finger tips and push it right with my palm in 2 specific places, and to do SRK motions I hit the stick forward with my palm and do the same thing.  The hard one for me is FADC canceling on the 1p side, because cammy has to dash back for ultra.  That usually makes it so i can land SRK FADCf SRK from 1p side, and SRK FADCb Ultra from the 2p side, but im not good at doing them opposite.  grr.  Mainly, I find it hard to do the dashing motion with my thumb.  :)

Xcessive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Xcessive

i cant do vipers ex sismo, super jump, flame kick on the p1 side... but thats all i can think of.  
    practice makes perfect

Kumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kumo

I recently started messing around with SF4 (after a long hiatus) only to find I can't do Shoryukens consistently on the right side anymore using a TE. That, and I have issues doing HCB from the right side, essetially making my  Akuma on the p2 side a recipe for fail.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scooper

I've tried to balance my practice on both sides so I don't have such a handicap. I'm still usualy better at throwing sonic booms from right to left but I'm better at doing Guile's Ultra left to right. Too many times I've blocked someone's ultra or SRK only to jump and kick as a response... it's lost me a few games, too, so now I'm very slow and careful when I've got to a free Ultra as Guile.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lordofultima
    @Kumo said:

" I recently started messing around with SF4 (after a long hiatus) only to find I can't do Shoryukens consistently on the right side anymore using a TE. That, and I have issues doing HCB from the right side, essetially making my  Akuma on the p2 side a recipe for fail. "

Strange, I find FADC to red fireball much easier on the right. 

Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with either side, it's literally like a 95% vs 93% thing or something.
    Kumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kumo
    @lordofultima:
    Yeah, I don't know why it's like that for me. My right-side HCB execution isn't as bad as my shoryuken execution, though. Just gotta work on it and get the muscle memory for it.
    Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Roomrunner

I can't believe I found this by googling "can't do ultras when facing right". 

I have been in training with Sakura for literally 45 minutes, and have only performed her ultra TWICE while facing right.  I jump over  the 2p side, bam, hit it every time.  I've tried everything.  Holding the controller funny, remapping the buttons.  I even have it so square is my triple punch button.  Still won't nail it.  Even worse, usualy the game just has me throw an EX fireball or uppercut instead, wasting an EX move on me.

This may be the end of my Street Fighter playing right here.

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dipstick

I'm left handed,and I can't pull of shit unless it's from the left facing right. FADC>Ultra is so freaking hard facing left D:

wapostyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By wapostyle

I think just about everyone using an arcade stick to play has this issue. 

I find that when I'm on the right I have to exaggerate my movements to get things to come out properly. I've even gone as far as experimenting playing cross handed whenever I'm on the P1 side. It didn't really work out. 

It pretty much comes down to using your fingers vs. using your arm to play. On the P2 side you can do all the motions very quickly with the flick of your fingers, but to do them on the P1 side it feels like you need to move your whole arm. 

In the end there is really no such thing as difficulty, it's just gonna come down to time invested. Are you willing to put in some long hours just working the motions on the P1 side? I am slowly getting there, but my current schedule of work, family and house remodeling doesn't allow me to put in the huge number of hours per day required to have perfect execution on either side. Oh well...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.