Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Is this really a legitimate strategy? (a short SF4 rant)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Noodlearms

I just played a match of SF4 against a player who ONLY spammed hadokens. I really don't see this much, but this isn't the first time I've encountered players that play like this. I mean, I'm just average at SF4, but I feel like this strategy is absolutely ridiculous. All you can do is jump/FAD through them, but it gets to a point where it just becomes overwhelming when the missile spam spans for entire matches. To make matters worse, every time I actually got close enough, I get a few hits in and am promptly L-HK'd until he gets enough distance to continue the spam. I'm guessing the best way around this is to keep pressure on the other player, but it's really hard to do when said other player has such an obscene play style. Any more seasoned players know a way around this strategy? Or is it as hard as I think to win against it? 

(Btw, I'm going to play some SF4 right now so add me if you want to play a few matches. GT is xATHFxMrBubbles.)

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Noodlearms

I just played a match of SF4 against a player who ONLY spammed hadokens. I really don't see this much, but this isn't the first time I've encountered players that play like this. I mean, I'm just average at SF4, but I feel like this strategy is absolutely ridiculous. All you can do is jump/FAD through them, but it gets to a point where it just becomes overwhelming when the missile spam spans for entire matches. To make matters worse, every time I actually got close enough, I get a few hits in and am promptly L-HK'd until he gets enough distance to continue the spam. I'm guessing the best way around this is to keep pressure on the other player, but it's really hard to do when said other player has such an obscene play style. Any more seasoned players know a way around this strategy? Or is it as hard as I think to win against it? 

(Btw, I'm going to play some SF4 right now so add me if you want to play a few matches. GT is xATHFxMrBubbles.)

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

Yeah, fireball spam can be a good stratergy but it is very flawed. There are alot of ways to get around fireballs in this game unlike in the old days of SFII like hurricane kicks, wall dives, ex fireballs, ultras ect.

Also I'll play some :).

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Scooper

Ok I figured out why you're having a hard time.

You mash ultra when someone's attacking you.
    You mash all kinds of SRK on wakeup.
    You mash all kinds of SRK when someone's attacking you.
    You Ultra midscreen randomly which is easily countered with a reverse ultra or anything else.

That's probably why you're having a hard time.
    Good spirit though and at least you end a fight with a wink which is very important to me.

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Noodlearms
    @Scooper said:
    "Ok I figured out why you're having a hard time.  You mash ultra when someone's attacking you. You mash all kinds of SRK on wakeup. You mash all kinds of SRK when someone's attacking you. You Ultra midscreen randomly which is easily countered with a reverse ultra or anything else.  That's probably why you're having a hard time. Good spirit though and at least you end a fight with a wink which is very important to me. "

I'll try to work on not doing those things, haha. And yeah, good games :). I posted on your wall here btw, don't know if tou saw that. Thanks for the advice!
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Noodlearms: Well yes and no. There is a fireball game that even pros use but that mainly consist of altering the fireballs speed so just when you think you're mario and can jump over them, you jump right into them. But as soon as people get close enough, they usually stop and use something else. Chances are the people you play that spam fireballs don't know anything else. But most characters have some way of getting around them, but if you use a character that doesn't have much options against fireballs, you just have get really good with jumping and when you finally get in rush them down and not let a stupid sweep reset the whole situation. 
    sho76und3wd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By sho76und3wd

@Noodlearms: By itself, it isn't really a good strategy.  It is used mainly for zoning(keeping your opponent where you want them) and a little bit of damage.  You have to know proper anti-airs/punish combos for when your opponent gets in.  
    Honestly it seems like you just don't have a lot of time in the game yet.  The game probably seems really hectic and fast-paced right now.  Keep playing and the game will slow down and fireballs will not even bother you anymore.  
     Use @Scooper's advice and keep practicing and mostly, just have fun. 

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Renahzor

We all get plastered by a good zoning player now and then.  However, once you have some more time in the game you'll be able to show mediocre zone players that you can break it down quickly and get in their face (most the time).  A combination of focusing through fireballs, using whatever tools your character has to get through them in other ways, and punishing them for making a mistake in their zoning really deters them in the later rounds.  Its a tool that not many people use correctly online, but it can be really good if they play the mind game pretty well.

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Noodlearms

Thanks for the help everyone :)
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By lordofultima

If you can't detect a pattern to the projectile throwing, it's in your best interest to consider them a good player and respect the space a little more. It is what's called good zoning, and frustrated players usually call it spamming. If he was keeping you out successfully and backing out of danger, I'd say that's good zoning.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.