Is Zangief an easy character?

• 61 results
#1 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

I'm not trying to start a flame war, nor trying to find an excuse for losing to zangief players. But, a few months ago when I was playing championship mode I started to play as zangief after playing with c.viper for about a month, and after playing for 2 days I got to G2 on a fresh account after being stuck in G1 forever with c.viper. I'm not really that good at fighting games, I still have trouble with links that are less than 3 frames wide, but I sort of understand the mind games part of the genre. 

So I was wondering, is zangief really easy to win with, or did I just find a character that suited my style better? I'm not really that in tuned to the SF4 community, so I don't really know which characters have a reputation of being cheap, other than sagat.

#2 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

Zangief is fun to eat scrub kens alive...wake up shoryuken block -> spinning pildriver...and they do it AGAIN right after :P

#3 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

he's really good,  but he can't win tournamants because he loses to sagats who know when to press roundhouse

#4 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -

Gief has generally easier execution than viper, who is a very execution heavy character.  Gief's gameplay is relatively simple, he wants to be in close, threaten with command grabs, and use crossup/poke/grab mixups which dominate characters at close range.  Viper on the other hand is imo a footsie oriented character, and she requires a lot more mind games to land her damage than geif does.  She makes up for this with the fact that she has more options than geif, but also requires more difficult combos to safely land damge from sweep range ad closer.  

They're 2 entirely different characters, gief has less bad match-ups, and has an easy/relatively safe reversal in his lariats.  I would not say he is easier, but he has tools that make him a little more straightforward to learn than viper, who is widely considered to be a very execution heavy character. 

#5 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

I'd say he's a very hard character to play as since 70% of champ mode is Ryu and if that Ryu knows how to zone Gief properly you'll have a very hard time getting in. Against G2 and G3 guys he'll win all the time because most people don't know what zoning even means at that stage.

#6 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
" Zangief is fun to eat scrub kens alive...wake up shoryuken block -> spinning pildriver...and they do it AGAIN right after :P "
No.
#7 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @Rhaknar said:
" Zangief is fun to eat scrub kens alive...wake up shoryuken block -> spinning pildriver...and they do it AGAIN right after :P "
No. "
yes. I didnt say all Kens, nor am i hating on Ken in any way...i said scrub kens, and scrub kens do exactly that when i play as gief :P
#8 Posted by Vade (393 posts) -

He's hard because anyone can just counterpick with Seth.

#9 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Rhaknar: If that is level of quality found in people you play, you need to find some new competition!
#10 Posted by Necrotrophic (261 posts) -

Zangief is easy at the bottom levels of play, because it usually consists of lariat spamming

once you play people who actually know how to beat Zangief, youhave to actually learn him, and i would say hes pretty tough.

#11 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @Rhaknar: If that is level of quality found in people you play, you need to find some new competition! "
aye :(
#12 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -
@Thrawn said:
sagats who know when to press roundhouse "
always
#13 Posted by lordofultima (6237 posts) -

Zangief is a hard character to learn, not easy at all.

#14 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

He's pretty hard because you have to be extremely patient and make the most of every time you get inside.  His power and resilience makes it so he can stay in matches even after taking a beating, but he's by no means an easy character to learn.

#15 Posted by Necrotrophic (261 posts) -

I cant do most of his moves without jumping lol.

When I scrub it out in challenge mode to unlock colors etc I have to jump and do the motions on the way down.

#16 Posted by Shadow (4979 posts) -

I main Bison and Cammy and man is it fun to piss those guys off.  Zangief is by far my least favorite fighter and I just love out-cheaping the cheapest character in the game.

#17 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@Renahzor said:
"  Viper on the other hand is imo a footsie oriented character, and she requires a lot more mind games to land her damage than geif does.                                            "
Bullshit!!!!!!! 

Viper is like akuma, takes a lot of time and practice to get combos down, but when you do, just rush down. You obviously don't know what footsie is since Justin Wong had picked Rog (a way better footsie character) and beat a viper that took him down to loser's bracket. The general censuses for why justin wong won cause C viper can't deal with footsies at all (probably explains why Japanese players pick akuma, he's he's rush down and able to do footsies.) 

To the OP: 

Zangief is easy if your opponent doesn't know the match up, which is why he's a great scrub killer. But anybody that has played against a gief before would eventually know, that his overall game plan is to get in close and make you sad. How he does this makes him very hard to use and requires a lot more mind games than the rush down style of C viper of block left/right or up/down. 
#18 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

My buddy mains Zangief, and he will eat some people up.  I've seen him rip apart some damn good Kens and Ryus, but it's mostly because he's got excellent timing on his neutral jumps and his Banishing Flashes are fucking fast!  He's got a 50/50 shot against a Sagat, and I've also watched him tear into a really good El Fuerte a couple times. 

He's difficult to learn in that he's a typically slow character, so you have to figure out the moves necessary to get his speed going.  Learning when to use his Focus and mix that into an Ultra or Super is key if you want to win.  What he lacks in chip damage, he makes up for with his throws and massive level of damage.  If you're at half health, and Zangief lands that Focus/Ultra, it's over for you. 

His biggest weakness is projectiles, especially fast Tiger Shots.  Zangief just can Lariat all those to save his life. 

In terms of LEARNING Zangief, he's one of few characters that uses full stick rotations to pull off his moves, and the only characters tougher to learn IMO would be Guile or Vega.

#19 Posted by lordofultima (6237 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
" @Renahzor said:
"  Viper on the other hand is imo a footsie oriented character, and she requires a lot more mind games to land her damage than geif does.                                            "
Bullshit!!!!!!!  Viper is like akuma, takes a lot of time and practice to get combos down, but when you do, just rush down. You obviously don't know what footsie is since Justin Wong had picked Rog (a way better footsie character) and beat a viper that took him down to loser's bracket. The general censuses for why justin wong won cause C viper can't deal with footsies at all (probably explains why Japanese players pick akuma, he's he's rush down and able to do footsies.)    To the OP:  Zangief is easy if your opponent doesn't know the match up, which is why he's a great scrub killer. But anybody that has played against a gief before would eventually know, that his overall game plan is to get in close and make you sad. How he does this makes him very hard to use and requires a lot more mind games than the rush down style of C viper of block left/right or up/down.  "
Akuma's footsies are fine, and if you're constantly rushing down with Akuma you're bound to fail. Viper is a character where fundamentals don't apply, no more anti-airs, zoning -- she has so many ways of destroying that type of game.
#20 Posted by Necrotrophic (261 posts) -

I think Viper is a very good character for mind games, if you arent good at that, then you cant be good at viper, which might explain why so many of them arent very good.

#21 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@lordofultima: hence my point that viper is better rush down, but akuma can rushdown and do other stuff like zone, footsies, etc. All Guilty Gear players that just love to rush down and generally get in ppls face should just go with viper
#22 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Viper is really easy to anti air. Well, not really easy. But decently so. People I've played usually spam the hell out of her air boost and the cross fire kick. Not many people use C. Viper online, though. Maybe you should?

#23 Edited by lordofultima (6237 posts) -
@Napalm said:

" Viper is really easy to anti air. Well, not really easy. But decently so. People I've played usually spam the hell out of her air boost and the cross fire kick. Not many people use C. Viper online, though. Maybe you should? "

Really. So when I throw a fireball, and she jumps over it, and then I uppercut, and she changes her trajectory with flame kick and evades the uppercut completely, getting free punish. That's the easy part. EASY FOR YOU TO SAY WITH THE BEST ANTIAIR IN THE GAME.
#24 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@lordofultima said:

" @Napalm said:

" Viper is really easy to anti air. Well, not really easy. But decently so. People I've played usually spam the hell out of her air boost and the cross fire kick. Not many people use C. Viper online, though. Maybe you should? "

Really. So when I throw a fireball, and she jumps over it, and then I uppercut, and she changes her trajectory with flame kick and evades the uppercut completely, getting free punish. That's the easy part. EASY FOR YOU TO SAY WITH THE BEST ANTIAIR IN THE GAME. "
She boosts at me, insta backbreaker. She does her flame kick, I can usually anti air.

That's a lie, actually. I never try to anti air that shit. That move has some horizontal range. I don't fuck with that. I think I could probably anti air it with a Somersault Kick. Honestly? I haven't fought that many C. Vipers. They're a difficult character to pursue, I am told. Not many people use her. She seems like Gen. There's some badass players of Gen and C. Viper, but a lot of them have a tendency to move spam. Not always, but it's what I come across. High level C. Viper and Gen play is exciting, though. Such different and unique characters.

@lordofultima: I also thought you might find it funny that Zangief's j.LK can stuff my c.FP. I find that particularly funny. And not in a sarcastically frustrated kind of way.
#25 Posted by dan168 (40 posts) -

i think gief is like any other character... easy to just do the best moves he has. and he has alot of life so i guess that makes it easier... but when it comes down to mastering him just like any other character its a hard task.

#26 Posted by lordofultima (6237 posts) -
@Napalm: Well, that is mildly humorous.
#27 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@Rhaknar: I am the best player on these forums ..play me ..........(looks around defiantly)
#28 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
" @Renahzor said:
Bullshit!!!!!!!  Viper is like akuma, takes a lot of time and practice to get combos down, but when you do, just rush down. You obviously don't know what footsie is since Justin Wong had picked Rog (a way better footsie character) and beat a viper that took him down to loser's bracket. The general censuses for why justin wong won cause C viper can't deal with footsies at all (probably explains why Japanese players pick akuma, he's he's rush down and able to do footsies.)    To the OP:  Zangief is easy if your opponent doesn't know the match up, which is why he's a great scrub killer. But anybody that has played against a gief before would eventually know, that his overall game plan is to get in close and make you sad. How he does this makes him very hard to use and requires a lot more mind games than the rush down style of C viper of block left/right or up/down.  "
Damn dude, no need to be a dick.  First, that was supposed to say a "more footsie oriented...." to indicate the difference in play between the 2 characters that I have seen.  I was just goin off personal experience with how our only local viper player plays.  But yeah, you're right, I obviously have no idea what footsies are based on something justin wong did that applies to about 5% or less of the entire community.   Yes, rog has better footsies, wtf is your point, exactly?  Take your elitist arrogant bullshit somewhere else, SRK is right around the corner if you really feel the need to be an asshole for no reason, they tend to respect that there.
#29 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@turbomonkey138 said:
" @Rhaknar: I am the best player on these forums ..play me ..........(looks around defiantly) "
Do you play on the ps3?
#30 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

While trying to play SF4 drunk last night I realized something, Geif is stupied easy against people who don't know how to play. Mostly because hes a grappler and his lirait...but mostly his lirate.

Against high level players...or people who know what they are doing Geif is just as hard as anyone else.

#31 Posted by lordofultima (6237 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" While trying to play SF4 drunk last night I realized something, Geif is stupied easy against people who don't know how to play. Mostly because hes a grappler and his lirait...but mostly his lirate.  Against high level players...or people who know what they are doing Geif is just as hard as anyone else. "
Spell much in Canada?
#32 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1110 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" While trying to play SF4 drunk last night I realized something, Geif is stupied easy against people who don't know how to play. Mostly because hes a grappler and his lirait...but mostly his lirate.  Against high level players...or people who know what they are doing Geif is just as hard as anyone else. "
Spell much in Canada? "
He cant spell at all. I can confirm this.
#33 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
Spell much in Canada? "
He cant spell at all. I can confirm this. "
It's true I can't spell. I blame switching between 2 keyboards all the time. that and I really don't care :)
#34 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: Keep it up, you are making the American school system look good.
#35 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @Jeffsekai: Keep it up, you are making the American school system look good. "
There's a school system in America? Wow.
#36 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@Renahzor: better have a right answer around than everybody playing along to your wrong info. Maybe you should back it up your own statements next time with examples so you'll find out you're wrong when you're writing instead of changing your topic to hating on me. You can call me out if I'm wrong, even if its debatable stuff like tier list. I know this ain't SRK, but that don't mean we gotta start praising wrong info and have a big group hug. 
#37 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@StaticFalconar: Chill out man, no need to get hot and bothered.
#38 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Never mind everybody, this is how Street Fighter should be played. Instead of tournaments trying to prove each other wrong, we'll all pitch in the pot and do a big group hug. Last person to hug the hardest gets the pot. 
#39 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
" @Renahzor: better have a right answer around than everybody playing along to your wrong info. Maybe you should back it up your own statements next time with examples so you'll find out you're wrong when you're writing instead of changing your topic to hating on me. You can call me out if I'm wrong, even if its debatable stuff like tier list. I know this ain't SRK, but that don't mean we gotta start praising wrong info and have a big group hug.  "
You're missing the point entirely.  I don't care when people correct me, in fact I enjoy learning something new.  However your post had no relevance whatsoever except to say "I saw justin beat a viper once".  Im sorry, but that has no relevance to really anything, and that coupled with your overall dickhead attitude so far lets me write you off pretty easily.  

The only skilled viper I've had the pleasure to play against in person dominated me from about sweep range over the course of a couple dozen matches, using footsies to land cr.short or cr.mk and cr.mp, which if they were blocked he could cancel into feint and start some nasty mixups.  Her cr.short seems to have more range than cammy's, which makes closing to appropriate range for safe blockstrings a pain in the ass.  More often than not  a whiffed or stuffed cr.mk would lead to big damage for him.  But of course, lets discount the fact that different people and different matchups are...  well.... different.  Justin Wong (not only one of the best payers, but regarded as one of THE best footsie players in the game) beating someone with a character that has some of the best pokes in the game does not make a blanket statement true.  The fact that this is the only viper I've had much trouble with leads me to believe he either knew the viper/cammy matchup very well(this was a good 8 months ago), or just knew how to play a good poke game against characters who arent as dominating as a 'rog played by J.Wong.  

Anyway, congrats, you've managed to derail the thread into discussion of your right to be a fuckwad on internet forums.  Rest assured, you have that right.

To the OP, the main thing to remember is Geif will beat bad players very quickly.  As your competition gets harder, so does getting close to land your damage.  You have to really use his tools well, and sometimes just plain get lucky or make someone mess up to get close in a lot of match ups. 
#40 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:

"

Never mind everybody, this is how Street Fighter should be played. Instead of tournaments trying to prove each other wrong, we'll all pitch in the pot and do a big group hug. Last person to hug the hardest gets the pot. 
"
What comic is this from, anyway?

@Stang said:
" @StaticFalconar: Chill out man, no need to get hot and bothered. "

Lol. You used that phrase wrong!
#41 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@Napalm:  http://questionablecontent.net/ 

Anytime you see me use a post from that comic though, its obviously out of context but i feel makes me feel more original than posting all the other random meme pics out there.  

@Renahzor: Yes, I have derailed a SF4 thread. This means I'm a real member of the forum since every other thread about SF4 gets derailed pretty easily as well, I think the majority of us have A..... D....... .......... Ohh a something shiny. 

Get a sense of humor, go get a group hug or something since you still can't accept i called you out and even from your detailed explanation, its obvious you still don't know what footsies are. Come on lolultima, work on that video already. 
#42 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
" @Rhaknar: I am the best player on these forums ..play me ..........(looks around defiantly) "
Do you play on the ps3? "
Real players use iPhone.
#43 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@StaticFalconar: Renahzor knows footies. Trust me.

Ps. It is loltima. Or Lord of Free.
#44 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @StaticFalconar: Renahzor knows footies. Trust me.  Ps. It is loltima. Or Lord of Free. "
Or just straight up free for short.
#45 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@Stang: alright i'll take you for your word for it, I know certain things can be hard to accurately write out and part of me egged him on just to see how much sand was in his vagina. But that's why there's vids explaining SF4 like from loftima (thats Lord of Free tima)
#46 Posted by lordofultima (6237 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
" @Stang: alright i'll take you for your word for it, I know certain things can be hard to accurately write out and part of me egged him on just to see how much sand was in his vagina. But that's why there's vids explaining SF4 like from loftima (thats Lord of Free tima) "
Your username is so uninteresting that it's not even worth the effort of putting free into it. THAT AINT FALCO!
#47 Edited by Stang (4726 posts) -
@lordofultima said:

" @StaticFalconar said:

" @Stang: alright i'll take you for your word for it, I know certain things can be hard to accurately write out and part of me egged him on just to see how much sand was in his vagina. But that's why there's vids explaining SF4 like from loftima (thats Lord of Free tima) "
Your username is so uninteresting that it's not even worth the effort of putting free into it. THAT AINT FALCO! "
Too easy, Static Free (hahahahaha....no). On the other hand, my name is too stupid to even come up with something clever :/
#48 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

ha ha, ok. i certainly deserve that since i made fun of you guys and i am pretty free, but somebody explain the meme, that ain't falco?

#49 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -
@StaticFalconar: sweet, I get to post it this time. "My dick hurts!"

#50 Posted by jonathansloan (1 posts) -

Zangief rocks simply because he does way too much damage. Some of his moves are easy, the combos and ultra bit difficult.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.