Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

jesus christ, I'm getting raped on easiest difficulty :|

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By clubsandwich

any tips? seriously, I love street fighter but I just can't stand this anymore, I suck so hard, I'm trying to complete arcade mode but oh surprise, I can't even beat the first fight, I'm literally getting raped on the easiest difficulty, any advice to improve or atleast something to help me beat the game at least? :| this is seriously getting on my nerves.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Coombs

That's why I stopped playing after about 2 hours

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

It happened to me too.  All I can say is keep an eye out for cheap moves on your opponents.  For the final boss, sometimes just simply walking up and spamming punch or kick works far better than any actual strategy for those of us that suck.
    yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By yetiantics

Ken + Flowchart = instawin.
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By frankxiv

go through training/challenge modes for the characters you use, learn moves and try to get a basic feel for them in a safe setting.

then go play online. come back to the offline vs cpu modes (or don't!) once you feel like you've gotten better against actual people.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Ineedaname
    @PantyshotMQN said:
    " Ken + Flowchart = instawin. "
    Stang + ken + flowchart = questionable

(Jokes, I have no sf knowledge =()
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

If you are losing on easiest... I really can't help you, considering that the computer fails to do certain things on that difficulty. Like block. Or attack. Learn to do special moves and such in training mode.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By DanielJW

Spend time in training mode is all I can suggest to you. Pick a character you like and try to nail his moves consistently, then try your hand in Arcade. 

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By clubsandwich

so I thought I was doing ok, beated the first 3 fights, then fought against zangief and he just made a perfect, :|

and he just did it again. :|

jesus fucking christ, will this fucking guy ever stop using that violent roll in the air? :|

I think I'll just leave this game for good. :(

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Geno

Zangief + spinning lariat = beat arcade mode on any difficulty. 

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By emkeighcameron

I absolutely cannot beat Seth on Normal difficulty in that game, so don't feel alone buddy

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AURON570

check the GB sf4 guide?

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Ineedaname
    @clubsandwich: Just go one character and go on very easy or training and get a couple of moves down, and go from there.
    yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14  Edited By yetiantics
    @Ineedaname said:
    " @PantyshotMQN said:
    " Ken + Flowchart = instawin. "
    Stang + ken + flowchart = questionable   (Jokes, I have no sf knowledge =() "

i lol'd
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @clubsandwich: Practice, SF4 (or ANY fighting game) has a very steep learning curve and unless your training smart you won;t get better. Theres a differance between fumbling around with the controls in Arcade mode and sitting in Training/Challenge mode and trying some things.  Its gonna be hard and everyone was there at some point. Just keep trying and working on it. Also take a look at the SF4 guide here on giantbomb its useful for beginners.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Quacktastic

Pick Zangief and use Lariat for easy cheesy wins.  I beat the game on hardest and unlocked Gouken pretty much with one hand.  It's reaaaally doable.

@Geno said:

" Zangief + spinning lariat = beat arcade mode on any difficulty.  "

This guy knows what's up.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ryax
    @clubsandwich said:
    "... I'm literally getting raped ... "
    no way... they programmed those animations?!
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Quacktastic said:
    " Pick Zangief and use Lariat for easy cheesy wins.  I beat the game on hardest and unlocked Gouken pretty much with one hand.  It's reaaaally doable. "
    @Geno said:
    " Zangief + spinning lariat = beat arcade mode on any difficulty.  "
    That's not going to help him get better, horrible advice to give a new player.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Quacktastic
    @Jeffsekai: I find that being good in SP really doesn't translate to online.  If you want to get good at online you have to practice, no doubt.  For unlocking characters though, I say cheese it.
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By clubsandwich

well I finally beated it with c. viper, seth wasn't as hard as zangief, that fucking russian is insane, thanks for all the advice, I need a lot of practice. :q

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Quacktastic said:

" @Jeffsekai: I find that being good in SP really doesn't translate to online.  If you want to get good at online you have to practice, no doubt.  For unlocking characters though, I say cheese it. "

Do you mean SP as in Arcade Mode? Of course not if you want to compete online you need to play online that goes without saying. But for someone who just got the game Arcade mode is a good place to start learning moves n stuff. Not much else tho. 

lariat spam is good of course but NOT when someone is just learning it teaches bad habits that are hard to get ride of later. After you have a grasp of the game/wanna  get the achievement for beating it on Hardest or something sure fine  lariat  spam but any other time its just dumb.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I did alright with Balrog, Abel and Ryu on the easiest difficulty (beat most people first try) up until Seth.  That motherfucker is a straight up cheater.  I finally took him down after 10 - 15 tries.  I think I would do a lot better with a fightpad or fightstick, my problem was I couldn't use the stupid ass D-pad on the 360 to reliably execute moves.

I still don't own the game... I really want it and a fightstick though D:

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Coombs

Thats the issue with this game, The learning curve is pretty steep.
    Most games you can get through the easy settings with just a good understanding of the basic attacks,
    Not here, Here you HAVE to know the special attacks or you will get spanked
    repeatedly.

Even most of the active SFIV players say that they lose more than they win,
    And to me that's just not fun, Don't get me wrong I don't mind losing I'm no Rage-Quitter
    but losing over & over & over just gets old really fast.
    Could be that it's not that hard, 
    And that I just suck and didn't give it a second chance after hours of being pummeled with almost no wins.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Coombs: That's not just SF4 its ANY fighting game, or Sports (NHL 10) game. You need o know what your doing to win and thats the point the hell does a win mean if you can get it by hitting random buttons? even against the computer. In SF4 the computer are so fucking easy it retarded all you have to do is do a jumping attack (with heavy punch or kick) and then sweep and the computer will never block it right. 

Seriously I know where this is going to go "That fighting games need some kind of god like tutorial blah blah blah" we have had this discussion before and NO other game in ANY Genera has what people want from a fighting game. Personally I play FPS's being so god damn simple.
    Lilja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lilja

All you have to do to beat arcade on easiest with every character, is to walk toward you opponent and spam standing HK. 

That's what I did to beat it on my first day playing the game. 

Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Korone
    @Coombs said:

" That's why I stopped playing after about 2 hours "

are you a teacher

edit:

be straight with me
    Korosive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Korosive
    Yes. Just practice, practice, practice. Just like any other game, but more so. Under challenges, do the normal trails. They will do wonders to your playability. Also, check out the GB guide: 
    http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/beginners-guide-to-moves-combos-and-fighting-strategies/902/

If you want to hop online, avoid Ranked mode for now. Takes all the fun out.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Coombs
    @Jeffsekai said:

" @Coombs: That's not just SF4 its ANY fighting game, or Sports (NHL 10) game. You need o know what your doing to win and thats the point the hell does a win mean if you can get it by hitting random buttons? even against the computer. In SF4 the computer are so fucking easy it retarded all you have to do is do a jumping attack (with heavy punch or kick) and then sweep and the computer will never block it right.   Seriously I know where this is going to go "That fighting games need some kind of god like tutorial blah blah blah" we have had this discussion before and NO other game in ANY Genera has what people want from a fighting game. Personally I play FPS's being so god damn simple. "

Not really, Mind you I havnt played a ton of fighting games on the current gen,
    But the ones I have played you can get through easy without knowing many (if any) of the special moves,
    Just well timed basic attacks and blocks, SFIV I found to be very unforgiving.
    I wouldn't want a more detailed tutorial or anything, It's just about time practicing. 
    Time i personally was not willing to put in.
    But that could be just because SF was never one of my favorite fighters anyway. No offense to you guys of course lol, I just always preferred MK, Killer Instinct, Tekken, Virtua Fighter (kinda), Soul Calibur, Battle Arena Toshinden, ect......
    Which is probably the main reason I didn't want to spend the time getting good at this one.   
    Wow..... It's been a long ass time since I have really played a fighter......

@Korone

said:

" @Coombs said:

are you a teacher  edit:  be straight with me "
    Ummm..... Yes?
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By lordofultima
    @Coombs: What fighting games have you played this generation? I don't think there's a simpler fighting game out on the market today other than maybe Smash Bros. (I classify that as baby game, not fighting game). That's just it, Street Fighter is all about normal attacks and learning how to use them, and it's completely possible to win with smart simple play that is useful across many Street Fighter games, i.e. fundamentals.  

The games you mention rely less on normal moves or are way more hardcore than Street Fighter.  

• Mortal Kombat = All special moves, later dial-a-combos.
    • Killer Instinct = All ridiculous combos that take dumb memorization.
    • Tekken = Crazy footwork and awareness, juggle combos / wall carries.
    • Virtua Fighter = Doesn't get any more hardcore then VF. Enough said.
    • Soul Calibur = This fighter has a lot of systems in place to make it complicated.
    • Toshinden = Man that game just sucked.

I'd pretty much agree with Jeff. I can't play sports simulation games worth a crap, I enjoy watching football or hockey, but don't ask me half the rules because I won't know them. 
    Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofultima said:
    " @Coombs: What fighting games have you played this generation? I don't think there's a simpler fighting game out on the market today other than maybe Smash Bros. (I classify that as baby game, not fighting game). That's just it, Street Fighter is all about normal attacks and learning how to use them, and it's completely possible to win with smart simple play that is useful across many Street Fighter games, i.e. fundamentals.  

The games you mention rely less on normal moves or are way more hardcore than Street Fighter.  

• Soul Calibur = This fighter has a lot of systems in place to make it complicated.

I'd pretty much agree with Jeff. I can't play sports simulation games worth a crap, I enjoy watching football or hockey, but don't ask me half the rules because I won't know them. 
    "
    Super Smash Bros? A baby game? The competitive community begs to differ.  

Sure, you can get through the single player without knowing what you're doing. But there are skill gaps between players, just like in SF4. The better player who's practiced more will always win.

But everyone's entitled to their opinion...sorry.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scooper

If you can't beat anyone on easy try pressing buttons. Nahh, seriously. Go into training mode. Pick a character you like the look of and then open up the movesets and practice the special and normal moves that character's got. Every character's special moves are easy to do once you know how. Don't just go into arcade mode and spam every button on the controller not knowing what they do even after you've pressed them a million times. That gets old fast. It's what I used to do when I was like 6 and my brother handed me the controller. It was boring and I never ever got any better.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Plasma
    @clubsandwich: C.Viper? The game was too hard but C.Viper made it easy? Maybe you should try Guilty Gear or Blazblue ha ha. 

@SuperSecretAgenda: That's EXACTLY what were talking about, easy to understand basics, no one said "I'm so sick at being a pro Street Fighter 4 player, Justin Wong just beats me all the time". Seems like someone's a bit sensitive about Smash Bros. being a joke of a fighting game.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @SuperSecretAgenda said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @Coombs: What fighting games have you played this generation? I don't think there's a simpler fighting game out on the market today other than maybe Smash Bros. (I classify that as baby game, not fighting game). That's just it, Street Fighter is all about normal attacks and learning how to use them, and it's completely possible to win with smart simple play that is useful across many Street Fighter games, i.e. fundamentals.  

"
    Super Smash Bros? A baby game? The competitive community begs to differ.   Sure, you can get through the single player without knowing what you're doing. But there are skill gaps between players, just like in SF4. The better player who's practiced more will always win. But everyone's entitled to their opinion...sorry. "
    WOMBO COMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By rjayb89

Use M. Bison.  Slide kick the whole way.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By GunstarRed

the arcade can be beaten with most characters using  jumping kick-sweep (been said a billion times before) on the easiest setting... but that makes the game really dull...even seth can be beaten this way...a couple of characters have problems using this method though like dhalsim and elfuerte... so instead just keep doing slidey moves and he will die. 

or zangief lariat spamming.... 

(don't do that)
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lordofultima
    @SuperSecretAgenda: I know it's a fighting game, you smash people are so defensive. Sheesh. I am thankful for smash for one reason:

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofultima: It's easy to be on the defensive when everyone else is on the offensive. In fact, some would say it's the -best- time to be defensive.
    tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tooPrime
    @Geno: I played Street Fighter 4 for about 30 minutes with my friends, which was long enough to figure out spinning = win.  I the bought then game and the first thing I did was beat the game without continues on hardest by just spinning.  Pretty much anyone can do it.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with the CPU in SFIV is it doesn't really use any kind of strategy. Even on the hardest difficulties it just kinda walks up to you and throws out a random move, it doesn't fight like a real person at all. Case in point, I have very little trouble beating pretty much any CPU opponent besides Zangief on the highest difficulty, but the second I go online I get my ass handed to me because playing the CPU didn't teach me how to play well, it just taught me how to beat the CPU (E.G. stay far away because it can 360 throw you faster than the speed of light and when in doubt, sweep). It will also get caught by random ultras you would never hit a real player with...

Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gahzoo
    @xobballox said:
    "I did alright with Balrog, Abel and Ryu on the easiest difficulty (beat most people first try) up until Seth.  That motherfucker is a straight up cheater.  I finally took him down after 10 - 15 tries.  I think I would do a lot better with a fightpad or fightstick, my problem was I couldn't use the stupid ass D-pad on the 360 to reliably execute moves.  I still don't own the game... I really want it and a fightstick though D: "

Using the analog stick is the closest thing to an actual stick. 
    I have no idea why people would try to use that horribly broken piece of crap d-pad. 

Also, I thought on easiest the CPU barely did anything. I know for sure that it rarely blocks.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lordofultima

CPU has never fought like humans, if you're going in with the intention of learning something playing the AI, good luck. The computer opponent is a robot, it has the best reactions in the world, but can't understand a mind game and also never blocks.

Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gahzoo
    @lordofultima said:
    "CPU has never fought like humans, if you're going in with the intention of learning something playing the AI, good luck. The computer opponent is a robot, it has the best reactions in the world, but can't understand a mind game and also never blocks. "

Yeah reading button-inputs is kind of ridiculous.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By GunstarRed
    @lordofultima:
    have you ever played King of fighters XII?.. playing against the computer is like somebody smashing all of the buttons as randomly as possible...even on the easiest modes of that game  you will see your opponent across the other side of the stage  just  randomly kicking and punching.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Chokobo

Zangief + Double Lariat = CPU destruction of the highest caliber.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MikeFightNight
    @clubsandwich said:

" well I finally beated it with c. viper, seth wasn't as hard as zangief, that fucking russian is insane, thanks for all the advice, I need a lot of practice. :q "

You gotta learn to keep distance and chose your attacks carefully against Geif, or else he will pummel you into the ground every time.  As you start to play more and more you learn how each character behaves and then change your strategy accordingly.  But as a side note, realize that games against the cpu and against real life players are totally different.  I play on the Hardest setting while waiting for matches online and the computer does the same thing over and over, a real player learns 
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By spankingaddict
    @Coombs said:
    same here, try tekken or soul caliber!
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Plasma

The problem with SF threads being on the main page, is all sorts of idiots come, like people who admit they played it for 2 hours, so their opinion must be very well informed.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hockeymask27

Im convinced that Blanka and zangief have no diffuculty settings. I mean Ive seen blanka use focus attacks on my fireballs on easy and also been zangief perfected. Just keep practicing,and if training mode gets boring play with a friend to help build your skills.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lordofultima
    @spankingaddict said:

" @Coombs said:

same here, try tekken or soul caliber! "
    Yeah try those much more difficult games! Woo! 

@Hockeymask27 said:
    " Im convinced that Blanka and zangief have no diffuculty settings. I mean Ive seen blanka use focus attacks on my fireballs on easy and also been zangief perfected. Just keep practicing,and if training mode gets boring play with a friend to help build your skills. "
    I'd probably say Blanka is the easiest AI character in the entire game, because he focuses over and over again. You just use a two hit move or armor breaker over and over and he will focus that shit. Balrog is easily the most annoying, turn punching over and over again.
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ventilaator

True story - My then 4 year old brother saw me playing Street Fighter IV and wanted to try, and beat the first 2 matches on easiest on his first try by just mashing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.