jesus christ, I'm getting raped on easiest difficulty :|

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -

Why are we talking about arcade mode? Just beat it with whatever cheese technique you prefer to get the characters and then forget about it. 

This game is about one on one competition against another human opponent.

#52 Posted by spankingaddict (2660 posts) -
@lordofultima: i had a much easier time with tekken and soul caliber than SF4, just speaking my mind...
#53 Posted by agentboolen (1757 posts) -

Ryu or Ken are probably the best character's to start with. Oh and don't depend on only special moves jump kick sweep combo was my first real combo.

#54 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@agentboolen said:
" Ryu or Ken are probably the best character's to start with.
Oh god, not this again.

Arcade mode is a joke, you are doing it wrong if you are judging your skill by how well you do against the computer. Daigo probably gets owned playing the computer on the hardest difficulty.
#55 Posted by lordofultima (6228 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @agentboolen said:
Oh god, not this again.  Arcade mode is a joke, you are doing it wrong if you are judging your skill by how well you do against the computer. Daigo probably gets owned playing the computer on the hardest difficulty. "
Daigo must be a noob then, I pwn hardest on arcade mode.
#56 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@lordofultima: You are most definitely a better man then me then. You think my  Antarctican triple srk combo is bullshit? How about Viper pulling off an ultra at the same time she gets hit with a jab. Or Ryu blasting you with an ultra through a block string ala JR. The rules of SFIV do not apply to the computer. Combos are useless, this is probably why you see so many jump kick sweep scrubs online.....that is the only fucking way to beat arcade mode on higher difficulties. Seth on hardest is a fucking nightmare, the nut loving bastard knows what you are going to do before you even know what the hell you are going to do.
#57 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1478 posts) -
@Coombs said:
" Thats the issue with this game, The learning curve is pretty steep. Most games you can get through the easy settings with just a good understanding of the basic attacks, Not here, Here you HAVE to know the special attacks or you will get spanked repeatedly.  Even most of the active SFIV players say that they lose more than they win, And to me that's just not fun, Don't get me wrong I don't mind losing I'm no Rage-Quitter but losing over & over & over just gets old really fast. Could be that it's not that hard,  And that I just suck and didn't give it a second chance after hours of being pummeled with almost no wins. "
I don't know about that, I mean sure, certain players here will destroy others (Stang, Ultima, j0hnny), but against randoms I'd predict we do pretty well as a whole.

My personal advice would be to pick Ryu, try some moves in Training, do some combos in Challenge, and then try Championship online so hopefully you'll be matched up with people in the same situation as you.
#58 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@OwnlyUzinWonHan: Will you be playing tonight? I have not touched the game in a while and I have been lacking with the youtube vids, want to help me clear off the rust?
#59 Posted by Driadon (2996 posts) -

Glad yo hear you got passed that. As some others have said, a smart thing to do is give the challenge modes a go. I'd also add that you take a look at this tutorial on Street Fighter II Turbo. It may be a different game, but it teaches a lot of really important concepts that are true in fighting games as a whole that you might not have thought about.

#60 Posted by MikkaQ (10276 posts) -
@Coombs said:
" That's why I stopped playing after about 2 hours "

Yep, this completely. I've never had so much trouble with a fighting game. I was even decent as SF2... I dunno what went wrong with this game but it just didn't feel great.
#61 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

I have 600ish hours of play time and still struggle, expecting to whoop ass after 2 hours is ridiculous. I don't think I even knew how to throw 2 hours in.

#62 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@lordofultima said:

" @spankingaddict said:

" @Coombs said:

" That's why I stopped playing after about 2 hours "

same here, try tekken or soul caliber! "
Yeah try those much more difficult games! Woo! 

I played a little Tekken 6 and I actually did find it easier than SFIV, But like I said I was never a huge SF fan to begin with, But Tekken I put a ton of time into 1-4.

@Plasma

said:

" The problem with SF threads being on the main page, is all sorts of idiots come, like people who admit they played it for 2 hours, so their opinion must be very well informed. "

The Problem with posting anything in the SFIV threads is all the elitist douchebags who think they are pro because they play SFIV , So their opinion must be the right one....
 The fact that so many people come in and state that they found it to have a ridiculous learning curve,
Obviously just means that their all wrong because YOU enjoy the game.
#63 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Coombs: Nobody here acts if they are pro. Since we provide insight based on our experience we are douchebags? What the hell?
#64 Posted by Korone (402 posts) -

it's also they're not their

#65 Posted by EvilGreenDevil (197 posts) -
@Coombs: Thats a pretty douchebaggy comment in itself. If you actually read some of the posts on this board, you'll see that almost everyone is here to help other players get better. Any bragging or "elitist" talk is most likely sarcasm at it's finest. As long as someone is enjoying the game and playing it, who cares?
#66 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@Stang said:

" I have 600ish hours of play time and still struggle, expecting to whoop ass after 2 hours is ridiculous. I don't think I even knew how to throw 2 hours in. "

Thats my whole point,
HUGE learning curve.

@Stang

said:

" @Coombs: Nobody here acts if they are pro. Since we provide insight based on our experience we are douchebags? What the hell? "

I wasn't trying to insult you Stang, Most of you guys are fine, You simply defend you position and do so vigorously, Which is fine, I do on games I really enjoy to.
But there are several people in the SFIV boards who do come across as elitist douchebags,
And if you have anything to say about SFIV thats not "OMG best Game Ever" then they treat you like your a complete fucking moron, Which is why I almost never post in the SFIV threads.  I have never said that SFIV is a bad game or anything like that, All I have ever said about it is that  I found it to be very difficult, And I did not enjoy it, But each time I have ever said anything I get guys like Plasma who charge in with the "You didn't like it?  You must be a fucking moron" attitude, Which well deserves a elitist douchebag comment IMO.
#67 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@EvilGreenDevil said:
" @Coombs: Thats a pretty douchebaggy comment in itself. If you actually read some of the posts on this board, you'll see that almost everyone is here to help other players get better. Any bragging or "elitist" talk is most likely sarcasm at it's finest. As long as someone is enjoying the game and playing it, who cares? "
Word.
#68 Edited by Driadon (2996 posts) -
@Coombs: Plasma's comment was more based on a "So, why post that? How is that helping?" reaction. Saying right off the bat that you didn't like the game in a thread asking for help to get better could be considered trolling. That, said, however, both parties need to relax.
#69 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Coombs said:
" @Stang said:

" I have 600ish hours of play time and still struggle, expecting to whoop ass after 2 hours is ridiculous. I don't think I even knew how to throw 2 hours in. "

Thats my whole point,
HUGE learning curve.

@Stang

said:

" @Coombs: Nobody here acts if they are pro. Since we provide insight based on our experience we are douchebags? What the hell? "

I wasn't trying to insult you Stang, Most of you guys are fine, You simply defend you position and do so vigorously, Which is fine, I do on games I really enjoy to. But there are several people in the SFIV boards who do come across as elitist douchebags, And if you have anything to say about SFIV thats not "OMG best Game Ever" then they treat you like your a complete fucking moron, Which is why I almost never post in the SFIV threads.  I have never said that SFIV is a bad game or anything like that, All I have ever said about it is that  I found it to be very difficult, And I did not enjoy it, But each time I have ever said anything I get guys like Plasma who charge in with the "You didn't like it?  You must be a fucking moron" attitude, Which well deserves a elitist douchebag comment IMO. "
I understand Coombs. There is a small minority of people here who rub others the wrong way (I can be one of them at times, I admit it), but for the most part we are here to help each other. Look at Ultima, he spends countless hours putting together tuts for Akuma players, he even recently made a vid explaining footsies, a concept we all can use. 99% of the time we are just bullshitting each other when we talk shit, I know it may not come off that way, but we all play/bullshit with each other over live regularly so we know it all jokes.

I am willing to help any Ken player improve. I am by no means the greatest thing since sliced bread, but with all the hours of my life wasted with this game I have learned a thing or two, and I would be happy to share my thoughts so those new to the game will not feel like giving so soon, it sucks but you must take your lumps to learn. When I started out my win rate was horrible, with 2000 games played I probably had a 50% win rate. Now with 8000+ games played I have over a 70% win rate, it just takes a lot of time and a lot of effort. 

Just put on your blinders and take everything you read with a grain of salt. It is typically those who talk the most shit who lose the most.

Longest post ever. I don't even know what my original reply was focused on :(
#70 Edited by lordofultima (6228 posts) -
@Stang said:

" @lordofultima: You are most definitely a better man then me then. You think my  Antarctican triple srk combo is bullshit? How about Viper pulling off an ultra at the same time she gets hit with a jab. Or Ryu blasting you with an ultra through a block string ala JR. The rules of SFIV do not apply to the computer. Combos are useless, this is probably why you see so many jump kick sweep scrubs online.....that is the only fucking way to beat arcade mode on higher difficulties. Seth on hardest is a fucking nightmare, the nut loving bastard knows what you are going to do before you even know what the hell you are going to do. "

Well, the AI is incredibly easy to exploit, I wouldn't say that combos don't work on them since they don't block at all. Everyone just has a pattern that was burnt into my retina through challenge mode. Blanka focuses forever, Balrog turn-punches forever, cammy will keep doing spiral arrows and blow her ultra as soon as she gets it -- and seth you beat by blocking until he does something punishable, at which point you sweep or combo. Also, it's Hit-Confirming, I didn't do the footsies one yet (although I'm working on it). Thanks for the props. 

@Coombs: I can understand your position, but really you can't put two hours into anything and expect to be good at it. A fighting game is constantly evolving and thus you have to keep up with all the other players who are playing 6 hours a day if you want to stay competitive. This is just the nature of competitive video games. If you try to go play Counterstrike right now for the first time, you will quit the game forever in like 5 minutes flat. That game is so hardcore after years of the community evolving as a whole, that it is impenetrable by the common player. I am saying for a fighting game, a game with this very nature -- you can come into the scene a SF4 noob and win with very basic strategy, and make up for shortcomings in one area with expertise in another.
#71 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @Coombs said:
" @Stang said:

Thats my whole point,
HUGE learning curve.

@Stang

said:

I wasn't trying to insult you Stang, Most of you guys are fine, You simply defend you position and do so vigorously, Which is fine, I do on games I really enjoy to. But there are several people in the SFIV boards who do come across as elitist douchebags, And if you have anything to say about SFIV thats not "OMG best Game Ever" then they treat you like your a complete fucking moron, Which is why I almost never post in the SFIV threads.  I have never said that SFIV is a bad game or anything like that, All I have ever said about it is that  I found it to be very difficult, And I did not enjoy it, But each time I have ever said anything I get guys like Plasma who charge in with the "You didn't like it?  You must be a fucking moron" attitude, Which well deserves a elitist douchebag comment IMO. "
I understand Coombs. There is a small minority of people here who rub others the wrong way (I can be one of them at times, I admit it), but for the most part we are here to help each other. Look at Ultima, he spends countless hours putting together tuts for Akuma players, he even recently made a vid explaining footsies, a concept we all can use. 99% of the time we are just bullshitting each other when we talk shit, I know it may not come off that way, but we all play/bullshit with each other over live regularly so we know it all jokes. I am willing to help any Ken player improve. I am by no means the greatest thing since sliced bread, but with all the hours of my life wasted with this game I have learned a thing or two, and I would be happy to share my thoughts so those new to the game will not feel like giving so soon, it sucks but you must take your lumps to learn. When I started out my win rate was horrible, with 2000 games played I probably had a 50% win rate. Now with 8000+ games played I have over a 70% win rate, it just takes a lot of time and a lot of effort.   Just put on your blinders and take everything you read with a grain of salt. It is typically those who talk the most shit who lose the most.   Longest post ever. I don't even know what my original reply was focused on :( "
I know, Even though I didn't get into the game I have read quite a few of your guys tuts,
They really have made me want to pick it up and try again, But I just don't have the time to devote to it. 
The majority of the SFIV community are amazing, So long as you want to get better, I have NEVER seen a gaming community more willing to help out a new player, But If (like me) you just said "nope, too hard" your met with a ton of attitude
#72 Posted by Plasma (931 posts) -

I wish that fighting communities were as helpful as GB, but believe me, this is the exception. After you put hours into a game, and someone asks a really basic question, it just feels like a waste as it would be so easy to look for a guide or just google it.

I admit even SFIV is pretty intimidating, even after playing lots of Street Fighter 3, Seth was really hard. But you just gotta stick it out, not give up and make a thread, you think your the only one? If every new person who found SF hard made a thread instead of just lurking / researching it... Seriously just play on Live, and try to imitate the people who beat you.

#73 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@Gahzoo said:

" @xobballox said:

"I did alright with Balrog, Abel and Ryu on the easiest difficulty (beat most people first try) up until Seth.  That motherfucker is a straight up cheater.  I finally took him down after 10 - 15 tries.  I think I would do a lot better with a fightpad or fightstick, my problem was I couldn't use the stupid ass D-pad on the 360 to reliably execute moves.  I still don't own the game... I really want it and a fightstick though D: "
Using the analog stick is the closest thing to an actual stick. I have no idea why people would try to use that horribly broken piece of crap d-pad.  Also, I thought on easiest the CPU barely did anything. I know for sure that it rarely blocks. "
I tried the analog stick and had worse results than the D-pad for the most part : /.  Anyways, while I'm on the topic on controllers for SF4...  Does anyone know if the Hori stick that comes with the Tekken 6 LE is good?  It's only 65 bucks on Amazon.com right now. 
#74 Posted by agentboolen (1757 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @agentboolen said:
Oh god, not this again.  Arcade mode is a joke, you are doing it wrong if you are judging your skill by how well you do against the computer. Daigo probably gets owned playing the computer on the hardest difficulty. "
Huh?!?!  A guy with a Ken avatar is saying my comment isn't good??  For arcade mode yes I agree I played it just enough to unlock all the characters then I just played against people online.  Either way not sure what your complaining about in my comment.
#75 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@agentboolen: I disagree with the "Ryu or Ken are the best character's to start with." All characters minus Gen are good characters to start with. To somebody fresh to the game, there is no difference.  The only difference is some characters are charge while others are input, if a beginner can use Ryu he/she will also be able to use Sagat/Akuma/Cammy/Ken/Sakura/Dan/Seth/Rufus/Rose at an extremely basic level.

What does my Ken avatar have to do with anything anyways? I main Ken, how does that change anything?
#76 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @agentboolen: I disagree with the "Ryu or Ken are the best character's to start with." All characters minus Gen are good characters to start with. To somebody fresh to the game, there is no difference.  The only difference is some characters are charge while others are input, if a beginner can use Ryu he/she will also be able to use Sagat/Akuma/Cammy/Ken/Sakura/Dan/Seth/Rufus/Rose at an extremely basic level. What does my Ken avatar have to do with anything anyways? I main Ken, how does that change anything? "
What you should of said was "You have Mario in your avatar, everyone knows Falco's where it's at in Smash Bros!!".

In other news COMBO WOMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!
#77 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Scooper: I am not that witty sir. I have the iq level somewhere between that of a welcome mat and that of a door handle.
#78 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @Scooper: I am not that witty sir. I have the iq level somewhere between that of a welcome mat and that of a door handle. "
Touché.
#79 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @Scooper: I am not that witty sir. I have the iq level somewhere between that of a welcome mat and that of a door handle. "
What is between a door handle and a welcome mat? 

A: DOG DOOR 

Stang has the iq level of..a dog door?
#80 Posted by Partisan189 (78 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @agentboolen: I disagree with the "Ryu or Ken are the best character's to start with." All characters minus Gen are good characters to start with. To somebody fresh to the game, there is no difference.  The only difference is some characters are charge while others are input, if a beginner can use Ryu he/she will also be able to use Sagat/Akuma/Cammy/Ken/Sakura/Dan/Seth/Rufus/Rose at an extremely basic level. What does my Ken avatar have to do with anything anyways? I main Ken, how does that change anything? "
Not necessarily, I've always believed Ryu was most perfectly designed character and required the most balanced play style. His moveset encourages equal use of footsies and zoning which are the most fundamental skills in street fighter to have in my opinion. So I've always believed you learn Ryu first and the rest of the characters later if it's your first street fighter game.
#81 Posted by EvilGreenDevil (197 posts) -

::slow clap and forced smile::

#82 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

Well I tried to complete arcade mode today on medium and was doing fine.... until I fought with Seth.

That guy is just impossible, he knows what I'll do before I know what I'm going to do, seriously, when I'm about to kill him (while I'm about to hit him) he does an ultra and destroys me, he just makes the same thing over and over again and kills me with an ultra just before I give him the final hit, it was so frustrating so I decided to quit the game, I enjoy it when I play against my friends but when fighting against the CPU is just a different story, even using Zangief's massive grab Seth will do an ultra just before I'm about to kill him, I guess I'll stick to multiplayer once I get XBL Gold.

thanks for all the advice. :D

#83 Posted by agentboolen (1757 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" @Stang said:
What you should of said was "You have Mario in your avatar, everyone knows Falco's where it's at in Smash Bros!!".   In other news COMBO WOMBO!!!!!!!!!!!! "
Stang, I'm just saying that a person shouldn't over whelm themselves with every character in the game when they don't know how to play.  Like Partisan189 said Ryu/Ken is just a nice spot to start, then you can consider moving to other characters.  For your avatar I just thought it was kind of ironic...  well you know here I am recommending a new player to play as Ken and your going against it, just kind of funny if you think about it.
#84 Posted by agentboolen (1757 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" @Stang said:
What you should of said was "You have Mario in your avatar, everyone knows Falco's where it's at in Smash Bros!!".   In other news COMBO WOMBO!!!!!!!!!!!! "
I wouldn't even know that because I never was able to play Smash Bros...  Just seemed like a button smasher.  For Mario far as I'm concerned Mario should stay in Adventure/Platformer or friendly Kart Racing type games       ;)
#85 Posted by lordofultima (6228 posts) -
@Scooper:  COMBO WOMBO? YOU MEAN WOMBO COMBO. GET IT RIGHT OR I WILL BAN YOU.
#86 Posted by Plasma (931 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @Scooper:  COMBO WOMBO? YOU MEAN WOMBO COMBO. GET IT RIGHT OR I WILL BAN YOU. "
WOMBO COMBO/ COMBO WOMBO is almost as much fun to say as baby Samus backwards, Sumasy bab.
#87 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

did you just ask jesus christ for tips? 

#88 Edited by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@lordofultima: wombo to the combo!
#89 Posted by lordofultima (6228 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" @lordofultima: Wombo Combo. I do apologize Mr. lordofultima for being so inconsiderate to your feelings and will never step out of my place again. Please forgive my error. "
I'll never forgive you, in fact, I may put you on a forum suspension depending on how bad I feel tomorrow afternoon. I'll keep you posted!
#90 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

@Partisan189: I agree, Ryu is a great character to learn, he is the 2nd best character in the game. It still does not qualify the statement "Ryu or Ken are the best characters to start with." 

@CrazyManAndy: That honestly made me lol!

#91 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -
@clubsandwich said:
" Well I tried to complete arcade mode today on medium and was doing fine.... until I fought with Seth."
Yea he is a cheep bastard, like most fighting game bosses. But if you ever come across somebody playing him online you don't have to worry too much because he soaks up damage like a sponge.
#92 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1110 posts) -

I say start out with Gen. Once you get that bastard perfected everyone else seems like easy mode.

#93 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@clubsandwich said:
" any tips? seriously, I love street fighter but I just can't stand this anymore, I suck so hard, I'm trying to complete arcade mode but oh surprise, I can't even beat the first fight, I'm literally getting raped on the easiest difficulty, any advice to improve or atleast something to help me beat the game at least? :| this is seriously getting on my nerves. "
dont give up! 

#94 Posted by Driadon (2996 posts) -
@clubsandwich: Effing awesome, good to hear you're hanging on there. Seth is the definition of nerd rage, so no worries, eventually you'll be able to destroy him with ease, but, as with everything in this game, that comes with time. Keep at it man!
#95 Edited by Partisan189 (78 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy:  That's a good way to get someone to quit playing sfIV.
#96 Posted by Necrotrophic (261 posts) -

beating the cpu is easy. just hold in a focus attack until it lets its self go. the AI walks into it every time.

#97 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6396 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" @clubsandwich said:
"... I'm literally getting raped ... "
no way... they programmed those animations?! "

Yeah, but the ones in Rapelay are better.
#98 Posted by Necrotrophic (261 posts) -

the easiest way to beat Seth on any difficulty is to pick Ryu, Ken or Akuma and just do the hurricane kick. Seth is stupid and cant defend against it.

#99 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Lariat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CPU on even the hardest difficulty.

#100 Posted by baelrrogg (126 posts) -
@clubsandwich: I find the easiest way to beat seth...including on hardest is to play turtle and counter him. Wait for him to make an offensive move that can be countered. Be patient and he will ALWAYS open up by either jumping at you or trying to suck you in while your blocking or trying his weird-tatsu like kick. 

Don't try to do a wake-up move on him when he starts to teleport all over...backdash or jump and you will usually end up with another opportunity to punish. 

With any AI, you will be able to spot a very recognizable pattern if you look for it. Once you know how to force the AI to do what you want, it will not provide any challenge for you...

This however does not work with human opponents for obvious reasons.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.