Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Joystick Tips, Vol. 1 & 2

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

I got a couple questions regarding this so I figured I'd make a video on arcade stick hand placement/style. I personally use a modified wine glass, the straight buttons, and index/middle finger for throws. Feel free to make a video or text response of your own showing how you use your arcade stick, since as I said in the vid, no right or wrong way to do it. Video is two parts, let us get on with the innuendos!  

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

I got a couple questions regarding this so I figured I'd make a video on arcade stick hand placement/style. I personally use a modified wine glass, the straight buttons, and index/middle finger for throws. Feel free to make a video or text response of your own showing how you use your arcade stick, since as I said in the vid, no right or wrong way to do it. Video is two parts, let us get on with the innuendos!  

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Tiwi

Not bad.
    getting a stick soon, so thx for at least some advice.
    so... thx i guess.

also not a bad video, and random analogies are awesome!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper

You're a funny guy, LOU!

I wish I could get a octagonal gate for the 360 controller lmao. The circle nonsense is a real pain in the butt, I sometimes get hit thinking I'm blocking in the down back position but when I look at the thumbstick it's between downback and down just enough to loose charge and stop blocking ;(.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Do you notice a difference between the tournament stick and the normal one? (obviosly not just in size)
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lordofultima
    @DirrtyNinja: There is definitely a difference in feel between the TE and SE. Everything feels better on the TE, despite my SE having the exact same parts installed. Even when they were brand new, the sanwa JLF and buttons just felt stiffer on the SE, and the casing made a louder noise when pressing buttons (probably because it was mounted directly onto metal unlike the TE). I imagine when I install artwork and custom plexi, that the buttons and stick will feel slightly different yet again, so I'm prepared for it. 

@Scooper: They already make octagonal gates for video game controllers, look at everything Nintendo has done to their analog sticks for instance. Ever since the N64 those poopy edges have been poopy, but if there's one thing they would have been good for, it was probably street fighter.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scooper
    @lordofultima said:
    @Scooper: They already make octagonal gates for video game controllers, look at everything Nintendo has done to their analog sticks for instance. Ever since the N64 those poopy edges have been poopy, but if there's one thing they would have been good for, it was probably street fighter. "
    I kinda just want the original 360 controller (because I'm most used to that and although I've tried I can't adapt to my SE even though I put all the same parts you put into yours except for the buttons) but with an octagonal gate. It's probably possible but hey whatever, I still manage to do Guile's moves well. I've just got to make sure I know where the 8 directions are on the circle, although sometimes I've got to make sure I'm not tilting the controller because then what I think is back could be up-back and make me jump and what I think is downback could be close to down and I'll get hit.
    Neon941

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Neon941

I'm weird with joysticks, I always find my execution improves (barring ultras, I have a tough time getting that double fireball motion going) but my speed drops dramatically. I think I have a strange fear of doing damage to an arcade stick by being too rough with it, which is never something that bothers me with a d-pad. Good video though, i'm gonna try and take these tips to heart.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.