Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Just finished Abel and Fuerte 5....

Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jake_K

Fuerte didn't take me nearly as long as I thought it would; I had never tried his loop before, but I just got the rhythm and it was easy, took me about 20 minutes total. Abel on the other hand took forever.... hitting the dash kick to fierce link twice in the same combo is just stupid, as a not abel player I don't know the timing and it showed. Probably about 20 times I got to the freaking last hit and missed the link, I wanted to cry each time. Took me about an hour to complete... which seems like a waste of time looking back, but I feel alright about it.

Now all I have left is Ken 4 and 5, Viper 3 4 and 5, and Gen 5. Uggh. Any suggestions on those?

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Stang

Ken 4 and 5 aren't that bad, 5 is cake compared to 4. Just make sure to hold down back when doing your crouching links so you don't accidentally throw out a super when you have to dragon punch.

Viper, well she is a dirty bitch. 3 is not bad in my opinion, 4 is not hard at all. 5....well yeah. That made me rage like a fat 10 year old who wants his 15th meal. It will take some work, but you will get it.

Gen 5 is not bad either....if you are using a stick. I don't care what anybody says, turbo the hell out of it.  If you are on a pad, I will say a prayer for you.

Good job on getting Fuerte's 5 down quickly, that took me like an hour. The motions become all jumbled if you attempt it too long.

Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jake_K

With Ken's 4th I just can't get the Ultra to connect; I think I'm a bit too slow on my focus cancel (I play Ryu, I take it a little slower so the ultra connects) so even with the strong srk hitting hes already too low.'

With Viper 3 I just haven't spent time on it, I don't know the motion for high jump to ultra. I'll get it eventually.

With Gen 5... yeah, I'll just turbo it; it's just tough because I've never played Gen before yesterday when I did his first 4, so stance dancing is still ackward.  

Actually, apparently I haven't done Blanka 5 either, not sure why, it doesn't look too bad.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Stang

Ya, I main Ken, so the timing is natural for me obviously :p Right after the second hit of the srk, fadc. Once the dash ends, hit mp srk IMMEDIATELY. Of course, you want to do this in the corner. You will only have a fraction of a second to pull the ultra from there, your timing really has to be perfect.

For Gen, I mapped ppp to a single button (I mapped it to where my fierce punch was, since I did not need fp at any time during the combo), so I could quickly switch stances after the target combo. The only real challenge after that is canceling hands into super, but you will get it....just don't break anything on the way there.

And fuck Blanka 5. That one took me longer then I care to admit. The timing is really strict.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Scooper

Yep, Blanka 5's a bitch. Good luck getting the rest, Jake.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By bicycleham

What?

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Stang
    @Xolare: Thanks for your sagely insight. This thread would have been incomplete without you sharing your knowledge.
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By bicycleham
    @Stang said:
    " @Xolare: Thanks for your sagely insight. This thread would have been incomplete without you sharing your knowledge. "
    I'm saying what? more as a question than anything else. I'm wondering what you mean by Fuerte 5 and so on and so on.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Scooper
    @Xolare said:
    " @Stang said:
    " @Xolare: Thanks for your sagely insight. This thread would have been incomplete without you sharing your knowledge. "
    I'm saying what? more as a question than anything else. I'm wondering what you mean by Fuerte 5 and so on and so on. "
    Hard Trial 5. Basicaly a hard combo you've got to do and some character's in particular are fairly obtuse in what you've got to do.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Stang: Meow Stang ....
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stang
    @turbomonkey138: Don't get close to me, I spray!
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Flushes

You aren't the only one to hate Abel hard #5. I generally only do the step kick > fierce link after I see that the step kick landed as a counter hit so that it gives me two extra frames to link the fierce. You can play funny-looking Abel footsies to fish for whiffed moves to step kick to get the counter hit and get the party started. Otherwise, that link is tough to do online without plinking it very accurately.

Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jake_K

Update - I just finished Blanka 5.... took me literally about 5 minutes; not sure what people have trouble with one that one.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Stang
    @Jake_K: Different strokes for different folks! Ken's were not bad for me, yet they give most people headaches.
    Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jake_K
    @Stang: Amen to that... and on that note I have finished up Ken 4 - working on 5 now. After that it's just Viper and Gen...

Edit on Ken 5 -  what a freaking impractical combo... you spend 2 extra meter doing like 80 more damage than just doing an ex srk would do. -.- I hate these trials.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stang
    @Jake_K: But it is pricless is you do combo->srk->fadc->air ex tatsu->ultra in a match. The damage is poor, and like you said it is impractical as all hell....but you can't deny it is stylish. I have done it a few times, and even if I end up losing, I call it a win.
    Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jake_K

Looking through Ryu's trials these are surprisingly solid combos that you should know (with the exception of his 5th, but if you just did an ultra instead of the FADC'd ex srk it would be good) which is why I'm suprised some characters just have bat shit insane combos. Same for 'rog; those are all things you will actually use. (But I may be talking out my ass; Marn hit vipers crouching jab to high kick to ultra in bar fights 2....)

Maybe I'm just too used to online play, but it feels like any time I try to do something too complex ken ends up just blasting me with an ex srk the instant I miss a link or something... spam is fun; so I try to play safe and clean... although I do miss my links a bit....

With Ryu I cannot manage to hit my cr. jab -> cr. forward consistently (but I can hit cr. strong instead 90% of the time......), and f. fierce -> cr. fierce after a focus is like 50/50.... I don't know where I'm going with this. Just rambling now so I'll shut up...

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Stang
    @Jake_K: If you are on the 360, add me if you want to face a clean Ken....I don't mash srk's. Alright, I do once in a blue moon, but you would never feel like you have to pause after a crouching jab out of fear an srk is coming.

I have the same problem as you. My main stun combo is crouching short, crouching jab, standing jab, crouching forward, ex tatsu. I can do that fine. But, if I do crouching short, 2x crouching jab, crouching forward ex tatsu, I will miss the crouching forward more then half the time. If it is not too slow, I just miss the input all together. You can try to plink it, I have better success doing that, but I still miss it a lot. I just suck I guess!
    Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jake_K

I've been internet-less on my xbox for a few months now; only online play I get is mooching off friends. Most of my playing is with bros and soon to be at arcades if I can grow a pair and not be intimidated by the arcade rat crowd. I'll be getting internet back on my console by the end of the month though, we can mess around then.

Also... the even stranger thing is... with Ken/Akuma I can hit cr. jab -> cr. forward nearly every time; it's just with Ryu that I miss it. I mostly just keep it simple and use cr. short -> cr. jab -> fierce srk; doing a cr. strong to a fireball instead of a srk if they are blocking my string, simple yet effective and I can get an ultra out if I have the meter so if works great for me.  I like how many things Ryu can link together, and I'd love to casually be able to pull out crazy shit, I just don't have the timing for it.

I also love Ken's that don't spam; when I try to mix up a tick throw and a srk comes out as soon as I let them out of blockstun I facepalm. I then of course bait that shit and make them cry, but it's still annoying because I don't feel like I get to improve as a player when I have to wade through that garbage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.