Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

My Descent into Street Fighter IV

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By C0V3RT
    Prior to the release of Street Fighter IV, I was moderately uninterested in it's release.  While various gaming sites gushed about it prior to it's release, to me, it was still what I despised - a fighting game.

I'd read snippets here and reasons why the game was awesome, but the one that sticks in my head is, "For anyone that's ever thrown a fireball, Street Fighter IV is for you!"  That's the problem though, I never threw a fireball.  As a kid I loved Street Fighter II.  I'd watch in awe while my cousin would work me and anyone else over with Guile.  I never had the patience to learn moves, spamming Honda's hand slap was enough for me.  As I grew older and became more of a video game enthusiast, I found my niche of shooters and sports games and became average at shooters and good at sports games.  However from afar, I always admired people who were good at fighters.  Something about good players separating themselves from button mashers and great players playing on their own level. I'd almost view it as an art form.

I dabbled around with fighting games over the years and get completely destroyed.  Dead or Alive, Mortal Kombat, SF IV & HD Remix, it didn't matter as the end result was the same, me getting owned.  I never won a match online in DOA and have since stayed away from trying to play fighting games.  I had no intention of buying Street Fighter IV.  Why spend money to get frustrated?  After watching some of the IGN videos on Marketplace, hearing about some of the strategy and terminology pushed me even further away.

I picked up SF IV on an impulse, really.  I was picking up Killzone 2 when on my way out of the store, decided to pick up SF IV while I was out.

I have no regrets.

I played in arcade mode on the easiest setting and was struggling. I thought I'd only get better if I took my lumps and took my game online and, as expected, got worked over.  I got worked over to the point of really being embarrassed.  I knew I was bad when I played my co-worker who I own at every other game we play and lost 9 of 10 matches. 

After about 10 to 15 hours, Abel and El Fuerte weren't doing it for me.  So I made the switch to Blanka and haven't looked back since.  Suddenly, everything clicked.  I won't get into why, but finding a character that could fight how I wanted to fight was huge.  I took the next step and bought a fightpad and was pulling off ultras and supers with ease.  The first match I won online felt like a huge monkey was off my back.  I'm at the point now where I can't stop playing Street Fighter IV.  I tell myself I want to play other games however always end up back at Street Fighter.  I find my chain of thought being "just one more fight" to "I'll fight until I lose" to "I can't go to bed on a losing note" until I look at the clock to see it's 4AM.

40 hours later, I've got about 50 ranked wins and 170 total.  It's been quite the evolution in the matter of weeks.  While I'm not proud of the time I've spent with this game, I am proud I stuck with it and feel more then equipped to hold my own.  Kudos to Capcom for making such an awesome game - now I just need Mad Catz to make their Tournament Edition Fight Sticks more readily available.
    C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By C0V3RT
    Prior to the release of Street Fighter IV, I was moderately uninterested in it's release.  While various gaming sites gushed about it prior to it's release, to me, it was still what I despised - a fighting game.

I'd read snippets here and reasons why the game was awesome, but the one that sticks in my head is, "For anyone that's ever thrown a fireball, Street Fighter IV is for you!"  That's the problem though, I never threw a fireball.  As a kid I loved Street Fighter II.  I'd watch in awe while my cousin would work me and anyone else over with Guile.  I never had the patience to learn moves, spamming Honda's hand slap was enough for me.  As I grew older and became more of a video game enthusiast, I found my niche of shooters and sports games and became average at shooters and good at sports games.  However from afar, I always admired people who were good at fighters.  Something about good players separating themselves from button mashers and great players playing on their own level. I'd almost view it as an art form.

I dabbled around with fighting games over the years and get completely destroyed.  Dead or Alive, Mortal Kombat, SF IV & HD Remix, it didn't matter as the end result was the same, me getting owned.  I never won a match online in DOA and have since stayed away from trying to play fighting games.  I had no intention of buying Street Fighter IV.  Why spend money to get frustrated?  After watching some of the IGN videos on Marketplace, hearing about some of the strategy and terminology pushed me even further away.

I picked up SF IV on an impulse, really.  I was picking up Killzone 2 when on my way out of the store, decided to pick up SF IV while I was out.

I have no regrets.

I played in arcade mode on the easiest setting and was struggling. I thought I'd only get better if I took my lumps and took my game online and, as expected, got worked over.  I got worked over to the point of really being embarrassed.  I knew I was bad when I played my co-worker who I own at every other game we play and lost 9 of 10 matches. 

After about 10 to 15 hours, Abel and El Fuerte weren't doing it for me.  So I made the switch to Blanka and haven't looked back since.  Suddenly, everything clicked.  I won't get into why, but finding a character that could fight how I wanted to fight was huge.  I took the next step and bought a fightpad and was pulling off ultras and supers with ease.  The first match I won online felt like a huge monkey was off my back.  I'm at the point now where I can't stop playing Street Fighter IV.  I tell myself I want to play other games however always end up back at Street Fighter.  I find my chain of thought being "just one more fight" to "I'll fight until I lose" to "I can't go to bed on a losing note" until I look at the clock to see it's 4AM.

40 hours later, I've got about 50 ranked wins and 170 total.  It's been quite the evolution in the matter of weeks.  While I'm not proud of the time I've spent with this game, I am proud I stuck with it and feel more then equipped to hold my own.  Kudos to Capcom for making such an awesome game - now I just need Mad Catz to make their Tournament Edition Fight Sticks more readily available.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoelTGM

Awesome post.  That's how it went for me too.  I never understood what it took to succeed in fighting games, and I didn't like memorizing combos like in Tekken, but SF4 looked very nice in 3D, and still very fast paced.  I felt like I was missing out, so I finally bought it the other day (it was sold out at EB games and futureshop, but managed to find it at walmart).  After spending a half hour in training, my brother joined in to fight me.  In the very first round after I explained the controls, he beats me.  He beats me in the next round, and the next round after that... very discouraging.  After several losses, something clicked and I have never lost against him since.  Of course he hasn't had any time to figure out the special moves and whatnot, but still it was improvement.  I still haven't played online yet, even though I've put in plenty of hours and have all the characters now.  I think I'll try online right now in unranked games, I just know I'm going to lose every game though.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

Damn, online is fun, battles last much longer (at least these did).  I did a player match with this guy and he beat me over and over for 3 games, then I beat him for 3 games, and on the last one he beat me.  I was using Akuma, but I just felt kinda cheap trying to spam those fireballs at him so I kept going up close where I'd get my butt kicked.  Then I started winning when I switched to Fei Long, who was my favourite before Akuma, and now I think he's my favourite again. 

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By C0V3RT

Thanks!
    Thats awesome!  Really looking forward to the tournament patch/update/dlc thats going to come out.  I think that it's going to add a whole new layer of depth.
    I'm the same way - I started with Abel then went to Blanka.  Having spent the time Abel before, I now feel as if I can go back to him and use him better then maybe some other secondary characters.  I can't seem to do squat with Zangief who also gives me the most problems online.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JoelTGM

What's the tournament update about?  Is that like in-game tournament support or something?  Sounds cool.
    By the way, after playing a whole lot more online, I finally got my first real lesson banged into my skull.  Block.  I'd keep getting owned by someone who wasn't using any fancy combos or doing anything that I wasn't doing, and I couldn't figure out why.  I learned it's simply because he was blocking my attacks, and then punishing me for exposing myself.  On the last match we played, it was 3 out of 5, he won the first two rounds already, and on the third round I finally got my act together and began blocking properly.  I won that round, and then I won the next one too.  On the fifth and final round, it was very close, but I managed to beat him by properly blocking.  I guess when the pros play they do the same thing, but a lot of it is just baiting eachother into making a mistake, and then punishing with a massive impossible combo.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By C0V3RT

I dont want to drive traffic away from GiantBomb, but if you were to Google "Street Fighter IV Championship Mode", that would give you some more details ;)

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By c1337us

Dude that was a good post. Good to hear that you are doing really well at the game now. I am an Ok player, enough that I dont totally embarrass myself online. I just got a new fighting stick and I am looking forward to seeing if that can take my game anywhere because I wasnt digging the controller.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By AndrewJD
    C0V3RT said:
    "I'm at the point now where I can't stop playing Street Fighter IV.  I tell myself I want to play other games however always end up back at Street Fighter.  I find my chain of thought being "just one more fight" to "I'll fight until I lose" to "I can't go to bed on a losing note" until I look at the clock to see it's 4AM."

Exactly the same for me as well. Great post.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.