Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

My troubles with an arcade stick

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Gambit

Well since my fightpad crapped out i've been forced to use my arcade stick. So far my worse trouble with it has been hitting buttons with my fingers. Doing motions with the joystick hasnt been a problem. But doing some combos, ex moves, and ultras has been my main trouble with it. Anyone had this problem and have any advice.

Also to everyone on the forums to help me get better with it send me some invites and whoop my ass for awhile. Its better then me sitting in training mode the whole time im on the game.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jeffsekai

Just keep practicing dude, I remember when i fight got my stick I could not hit HK to save my life.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By turbomonkey138

I was in the same position as you mate haha . 

Just keep at it  and remember drink water 
    EvilGreenDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EvilGreenDevil
    @Gambit:
    Is it a matter of just pressing the buttons with your fingers? I would think the hardest thing to really pick up on a stick would be the joystick movements.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By lordofultima

Hitting buttons shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I will beat you up a little bit and you can elaborate on the issue then if you like. It's just like hitting buttons on a keyboard, palm down, fingers hovering/resting over certain buttons (home row), and assigning a finger to a button. I wouldn't recommend hitting every button with the same finger.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By napalm
    @Gambit: Whaa? How long have you been using a FightPad?
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Renahzor

I use my middle three fingers for just about everything, except throw which i use my forefinger and thumb.  Focus, I even hit both buttons with my middle finger.  Keep your palm down as much as you can.  Remember that arcade buttons register an input when you release as well(negative egde, does not show up on inputs screen in training), so try not to press and hold buttons unintentionally.  For doing special moves and ultras, hitting the buttons and releasing quickly expands the window in which the move can go off by doubling up the input (hitting them twice gives 4 inputs etc).  SF4 has a big window for inputs, and it always picks the "stronger" attack from the inputs it sees in that window.  

I acttually found that the easiest transition to make, because having all 6 face buttons near more fingers allows you some leeway in how you do the inputs.  If you're already able to do the joystick motions then you should be really close to adjusting completely.  :)

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AniMoney

Press the buttons with your elbows.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Driadon
    @AniMoney:
    True players know how to piano using only their forearms.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stang
    @Renahzor said:
    " I use my middle three fingers for just about everything, except throw which i use my forefinger and thumb.  Focus, I even hit both buttons with my middle finger.  Keep your palm down as much as you can. "
    I hit my inputs the exact same way.

Gambit, stop being a bitch. I have told you for a while to stop using that damn pad and start using your fight stick, if you would have used it consistently months ago LIKE I TOLD YOU TO you would have no issues. Remember, father knows best. 

But I fell ya, I was missing short and jab all the time when I was getting use to it, and for whatever reason I had the tendency to somehow jump when I was throwing fireballs.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AniMoney
    @Driadon: These guys have the proper technique. 

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Stang
    @AniMoney: That is where I learned to do my online jab block strings.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By napalm
    @AniMoney: LMAO, what a HUGE waste of energy.
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @turbomonkey138 said:

" I was in the same position as you mate haha . 

Just keep at it  and remember drink water  "
    Man that is one deep voice you got there. Reminds me of myself when im REEAALLY tired.
    Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gambit

The way I use my fingers on the stick may be the problem. I use my index on LK, middle on LP, ring on MP, pinky on HP, and I use my thumb to hit MK and HK. I try to hit all the buttons without moving my hand.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mmmslash
    @AniMoney: I'd like to point out that, of course, that's a Vs. cabinet. Considering what they're playing, that's probably just as effective!
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lordofultima
    @Gambit said:

" The way I use my fingers on the stick may be the problem. I use my index on LK, middle on LP, ring on MP, pinky on HP, and I use my thumb to hit MK and HK. I try to hit all the buttons without moving my hand. "

That's generally what I do too, minus the thumb part of course. Don't ever use my thumb for anything. 

LP = Middle  MP = Ring  HP = Pinky (or ring sometimes)
    LK = Index  MK = Index HK = Ring 

When I play a handslap character or Balrog (TAP Charging) I have to do: 

LP = Index  MP = Middle  HP = Ring 

Only because the pianoing is easier like that, and I charge 3K tap with the bottom of each finger. My advice though is to do what's comfortable, your hands will automatically develop a comfort zone that works for you, so try not to think too much about it.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AniMoney

I have it as 

LP = index   MP = middle   HP = ring 
    LK = thumb MK = thumb (sometimes middle) HK = pinky 

Japanese layout btw. 

@Mmmslash said:

" @AniMoney: I'd like to point out that, of course, that's a Vs. cabinet. Considering what they're playing, that's probably just as effective! "
    Lol yeah you got a point. Looks like it's a CvS2 cab, never played that game actually, but if it's like the other vs. games then yeah mashing is probably a part of it.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lordofultima
    @AniMoney: CVS2 is not a goofy versus game like Marvel, it is serious business. I really wish it would come to XBLA...sigh.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AniMoney
    @lordofultima said:
    " @AniMoney: CVS2 is not a goofy versus game like Marvel, it is serious business. I really wish it would come to XBLA...sigh. "
    I wish they would put 3s on xbla, I've been playing it a bit on ggpo and it's a lot of fun, but ggpo isn't very reliable. I have it on xbox but nobody else does and they're dropping live support for original xbox games anyways.
    Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gambit
    @AniMoney said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @AniMoney: CVS2 is not a goofy versus game like Marvel, it is serious business. I really wish it would come to XBLA...sigh. "
    I wish they would put 3s on xbla, I've been playing it a bit on ggpo and it's a lot of fun, but ggpo isn't very reliable. I have it on xbox but nobody else does and they're dropping live support for original xbox games anyways. "
    Yeah I use to play both like crazy back in the day on the original xbox. I would say I played CvS2 more then I have played SFIV. I wish both would get put on the arcade that would be         awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.