Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Regular 360 controller vs. Acrade stick , unfair advantage ?

cimaraHD33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cimaraHD33

Do you guys think a player with a 360 controller can beat another player who is using a stick, if they are about the same skill or is it uneven?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

I have not played Street Fighter 4 yet, but a friend of mine has an arcade stick and he used it whenever we played SF2 and he wasn't super amazing because of it.  Then again he isn't really good at games in general so that may have factored into it

cimaraHD33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cimaraHD33

I see, I plan to pick the game up, but not the arcade stick. Hopefully I'll do ok :D

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheFreeMan
    cimaraHD33 said:
    "I see, I plan to pick the game up, but not the arcade stick. Hopefully I'll do ok :D "
    As do I. It's more so just because I can't afford the stick right now.
    cimaraHD33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cimaraHD33
    TheFreeMan said:
    "cimaraHD33 said:
    "I see, I plan to pick the game up, but not the arcade stick. Hopefully I'll do ok :D "
    As do I. It's more so just because I can't afford the stick right now.
    "
    Same reason actually.
    PowerBombYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By PowerBombYo

I bought the Standard Fightstick and have to say that it really does help to pull off the moves faster. I was never any good in the arcades but using a stick just seems way more responsive. I own the 360 version so using the d pad might be a tad more difficult than the ps3 version. I guess it's all a matter of practice.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By fr0br0

I use a stick and I'm sure I got my ass handed to me by people using just a controller. So no, not unfair.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By clarke0

I'd say the person with the fight stick has a huge advantage, providing they have a decent stick. The normal Xbox 360 D-pad is pathetic.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By clarke0

I'd say the person with the fight stick has a huge advantage, providing they have a decent stick. The normal Xbox 360 D-pad is pathetic.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By MichaelBach

I want to get SFIV, but I don't plan to invest in a stick. Is the game playable with the normal 360 controler for casual gamers?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Actually dont know but from what i'm hearing is that the 360 digital pad on this game isn't as bad as you'd think though its not the best but its not as bad as people make out to believe.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12  Edited By wefwefasdf

I just started playing it tonight with a normal 360 controller and it really isn't that bad. I may get one of the fight pads later on but they controls seem more responsive than Turbo Remix.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MichaelBach

Maby they would release a demo at some point to give doubters the chance to try it

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Karmum
    cimaraHD33 said:
    "Do you guys think a player with a 360 controller can beat another player who is using a stick, if they are about the same skill or is it uneven?
    "
    Well, I'm going to assume it is supposed to be unfair. Unless you are playing somebody who is really good on the controller (which is entirely possible), but the "unfair advantage" is there to entice you to buy the fighting stick, then prepared to still get owned.
    ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShiroMe

I don't even understand how anybody plays with a stick. There is a reason we evolved beyond joysticks.

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fracture

It depends on who you are really. I suck with the arcade sticks. In the arcade I was good with a stick but the setup is different in terms that the stick is bolted to the system, your home controller sits in your lap and throws it all off for me. I ended up getting good with the joysticks starting with the Super Nintendo versions and later on the PS2 controller. HD Remix helped me get more accustomed with the 360 joypad, but I'd avise not using it's D-Pad, it's actually easier to throw thigns off with the analogue.

I'd be interested in seeing how the actual fight pad stacks up against how I've gotten with the 360 controller. The buttons arranged how they did on there might be better but I'm almost getting used to using the triggers for my attacks now that switching again might just be a new learning curve all over again.

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fracture
    ShiroMe said:
    "I don't even understand how anybody plays with a stick. There is a reason we evolved beyond joysticks."
    Some people like them because there's more to grab onto, makes some of the mostions easier for them. I've gotten past that but some people have problems pulling off precise commands with their thumb.
    gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By gearhead

You raise a good point.
    For most people(most) the arcade stick will help a player with his moves, getting them out faster, and usually with less tries. With the controller, it seems to me that the best choice is to just use the joystick, as I can barley pull moves on the thing because I finger is so bigger. Though I have found Shryokuns, or any other tough movement that is supposed to be pulled off the the stick, or at least a good d-pad is near impossible to do.
    So short answer- Yes, if you are new. No, if you have used the 360 controller for other fighters.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By RHCPfan24

I wouldn't say it is unfair, considering all of the extra money that is required to buy one of these sticks and the user deserves a bit of an advantage. However, as Fr0Br0 pointed out, any good player will own another with any type of controller. That counters the point.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Red

It's not unfair, it just makes you play better. Only the really good SF4 players would lay down the money for a stick so, they'd still probably beat you otherwise.

You could also see it as using the Analog Stick as an unfair disadvantage for them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.