Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Revenge Throws.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By NinjaHunter

OK I admit it, I use throws a lot and from my experience there seems to be a pattern with just about every single person I've played against. After I throw an opponent they will attempt to throw me within the next two moves they do. I'm finding this kind of hilarious because whenever they go for the "revenge throw" I always picture them saying "Oh OK, you threw me well guess what!?" I've seen very few people to use the throw but every single time I do it, it's almost as if they just remembered you can throw in the game. This seems to be the only move that has this reaction, I've never seen anybody try to revenge shoryuken or hadoken somebody after they've been hit by one which is surprising seeing as how may people use shoto characters. I'm not exactly sure why it's like this. Possibly because the throw is so infamous in being a "cheap" move to most people? Which causes a "fight fire with fire" reaction. I don't know but I just find it funny.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By NinjaHunter

OK I admit it, I use throws a lot and from my experience there seems to be a pattern with just about every single person I've played against. After I throw an opponent they will attempt to throw me within the next two moves they do. I'm finding this kind of hilarious because whenever they go for the "revenge throw" I always picture them saying "Oh OK, you threw me well guess what!?" I've seen very few people to use the throw but every single time I do it, it's almost as if they just remembered you can throw in the game. This seems to be the only move that has this reaction, I've never seen anybody try to revenge shoryuken or hadoken somebody after they've been hit by one which is surprising seeing as how may people use shoto characters. I'm not exactly sure why it's like this. Possibly because the throw is so infamous in being a "cheap" move to most people? Which causes a "fight fire with fire" reaction. I don't know but I just find it funny.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By REDRUN

The cheap throw excuse was finished in 1997 since the release of SF3, all throws except for special throws and grabs could be "Technical" aka "Tech" canceled or countered.

a neutral throw would beat a back throw. back throw cancels back throw. nuetral throw cancels neurtal throw. jab beats grab. I like to see a revenge throw on Zangief after a spinning piledriver.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

Um, not really. While you may have a point that your opponent may not have even remembered they can throw until you threw them, the only way you can counter a throw is by doing a throw yourself. It may not even be them trying to revenge throw you, but rather them trying to make sure they don't get thrown again.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ImperiousRix

I don't use too many throws except to punish whiffed specials and supers, and I frequently use the air throw when characters have it.  It's a pretty high-priority anti-air attack.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NinjaHunter
    StaticFalconar said:
    "Um, not really. While you may have a point that your opponent may not have even remembered they can throw until you threw them, the only way you can counter a throw is by doing a throw yourself. It may not even be them trying to revenge throw you, but rather them trying to make sure they don't get thrown again. "
    Yeah, I know that but they aren't using the throw as a defensive move they are actively pursuing me and attempting to throw me. Often missing because I'm just out of reach. And that's not the only way, jabs work well too.

REDRUN said:
    "The cheap throw excuse was finished in 1997 since the release of SF3, all throws except for special throws and grabs could be "Technical" aka "Tech" canceled or countered.a neutral throw would beat a back throw. back throw cancels back throw. nuetral throw cancels neurtal throw. jab beats grab. I like to see a revenge throw on Zangief after a spinning piledriver."
    I'm not saying that it's cheap I'm just saying that a lot of people still have the mindset of it being cheap.
    Mr_Ahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Mr_Ahh

What I HATE and I mean HATE. I people who only know how to throw it really pisses me off to be honest. Last game I played this guy was playing Sagat like Abel, all he did was crouch and I walk towards him looking for a uppercut then he goes for a throw.  It was like he didn't know how to do special moves, he won the match and when you looked the guy had like 6000 battle points. Which would mean he was doing that crap for days now and winning to boot.

logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By logson

I'm sure there are people who, just as you imagined, think to themselves "THROW ME? YEAH? CHECK THIS OUT!", but I think this "revenge" throwing is also a function of people being wary of you throwing them again. As you know,  LP+LK nullifies a throw, so they could very well just be thinking that you were going to throw them, so they decide to LP+LK.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By slinky6

Haha I know what you mean I totally used to do that.   Or revenge focus attacks.   Someone would hit me I'd be like "oh right there are focus attacks in this game" so I'd try to hit them with one.   But I like to think I'm not that stupid anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.