Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Rufus: In Training

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By AndrewJD

I posted a little while ago about how I was attempting to learn how to play with Dhalsim. Needless to say that didn't go so well, hence the title of this blog. Whatever the reason I couldn't get to grips with his play style. His defensive nature and having to plan moves in advance proved to be hard for me to master. Also his crappy health, bad ultra and slow movement doesn't help matters. However, I am sure there are plenty of people who have a play style more suited to him (in fact I've played plenty online and know if you play well with him, you can really annoy your opponents)

No Caption Provided

So, onto Rufus!

Up until now, the only time I'd really spent using Rufus was in the normal trial mode. I was getting bored with playing as Dhalsim so I decided to try a few characters out. I found that I could do most of Rufus's combos pretty easily and finished his hard trials pretty quickly. Now I know that being able to do combos in training doesn't mean you can do them in a match, but it's a start. Over the last week or so I've been playing with the Rufus in championship mode with pretty good results. I think a large part of this is to do with people not knowing how to play him, and (hopefully) a little part is played by my ability with him.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Tell me what you think. Embedded below is a game I played against GiantBomb user lggins. I start off pretty badly (or he started well?) in the first round, but get better as it progresses.

This is the 3rd match of 5 in a playlist which you can view here

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AndrewJD

I posted a little while ago about how I was attempting to learn how to play with Dhalsim. Needless to say that didn't go so well, hence the title of this blog. Whatever the reason I couldn't get to grips with his play style. His defensive nature and having to plan moves in advance proved to be hard for me to master. Also his crappy health, bad ultra and slow movement doesn't help matters. However, I am sure there are plenty of people who have a play style more suited to him (in fact I've played plenty online and know if you play well with him, you can really annoy your opponents)

No Caption Provided

So, onto Rufus!

Up until now, the only time I'd really spent using Rufus was in the normal trial mode. I was getting bored with playing as Dhalsim so I decided to try a few characters out. I found that I could do most of Rufus's combos pretty easily and finished his hard trials pretty quickly. Now I know that being able to do combos in training doesn't mean you can do them in a match, but it's a start. Over the last week or so I've been playing with the Rufus in championship mode with pretty good results. I think a large part of this is to do with people not knowing how to play him, and (hopefully) a little part is played by my ability with him.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Tell me what you think. Embedded below is a game I played against GiantBomb user lggins. I start off pretty badly (or he started well?) in the first round, but get better as it progresses.

This is the 3rd match of 5 in a playlist which you can view here

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By super_machine

Cool, I hope as time goes on the kens and Ryus get weeded out of competition. Not that I dont mind a good ken or ryu fight, but due to all the noods, it was all I fought against for the first month. Maybe now the more serious players will start using more variety of characters like you are doing.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AndrewJD
    @super_machine:

I think people are starting to use different characters, but obviously you still get a lot of kens, Sagats, Ryus etc. Nothing wrong with that of course, they are good characters (in the right hands)
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @mubress: Ive been a long time Rufus player and he is the character ive played the most matches with. Id be happy to give you some tips if your willing to take them.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Stang
    @SpecialBuddy said:
    "@mubress: Ive been a long time Rufus player and he is the character ive played the most matches with. Id be happy to give you some tips if your willing to take them. "

Only if you want to get worse!

All kidding aside, SpeicalBuddy's Rufus is fucking ruthless. If I had any intention to use that fat bastard I would defintely go to him.
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AndrewJD
    @SpecialBuddy said:
    " @mubress: Ive been a long time Rufus player and he is the character ive played the most matches with. Id be happy to give you some tips if your willing to take them. "
    I am willing to take any tips dude. Lay them on me!
    Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I have never played a Rufus online. You'll definitely have an advantage because no one will know how to play against him. ;)

Iggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Iggins

I started well, but you got better too... I miss the ultra at 2:10 and 3:30 from the exact same set up. He's not my main but i find i have the most fun playing as fuerte (but hate playing against him). Almost got a perfect too, that ex messiah kick is like a get out of jail free card.

EDIT: Also if you prefer the english voices your'e a bad person, sorry pal.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AndrewJD
    @Iggins:  Yeah, ex messiah kick is very useful.

I have the british and american characters set to english, so cammy and... Ken, Guile, Rog, Rufus and Viper. The rest are jap. I just prefer it like that :)

Anyway, good matches. Don't get to play many fuerte players so good practise.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Scooper
    @mubress said:
    " @Iggins:  Yeah, ex messiah kick is very useful.I have the british and american characters set to english, so cammy and... Ken, Guile, Rog, Rufus and Viper. The rest are jap. I just prefer it like that :)Anyway, good matches. Don't get to play many fuerte players so good practise. "
    Yeah, same here. The Japanese Balrog shouting "MY FIGHT MONEY!!!" just isn't the same.
    Iggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Iggins
    @Scooper: Dude... He neighs like a horse everytime you do a headbut! Only the japanese could come up with that
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @mubress: Well it might make it easier if we actually played a few matches. Are you on 360 or ps3?
    Iggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Iggins
    @SpecialBuddy: The match was on ps3, shame cause i'd love to try out your gen.
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SpecialBuddy

Well if your playing on the ps3. Ill just tell you some tips based on the matches you posted.

• Most other Rufus players that ive seen turtle a little too much with him. You seem to be in that catagory so start getting up in peoples asses. Rufus is all about pressure pressure pressure! If you give people the chance to reset their position on screen you might lose getting in on them.
    • Start lowering your dive kicks. If you dont know already if you do them at the height that you are doing them now people will start throwing you right after you do it. So start dive kicking as soon as you jump. This will lower your chance of getting thrown and increase your chance of getting a combo.
    • Know all of Rufus ultra setups. He has over 8 ultra setups which puts him up there with ryu. And if you cant hit with the target combo to ultra dont keep doing it. Its best used as a punish so there is no need to do random ultras also. If you hit the target combo at least you know its a 100% hit.
    • As for Fuerte. I think he is one of rufus' counter picks and the only real way to get out of his splash is to back dash out of that shit. Or you could go for a ex jesus kick if you can.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AndrewJD
    @SpecialBuddy: Cheers!

I guess it depends who I'm playing as to whether I get pressure straight on them, but i'll try to work on that.

I have noticed that It's possible to be thrown after high dive kicks, and have taken to just trying to throw them after, which works against people who don't play Rufus much but usually results in a tech. I'll try to avoid it though :)

As for ultra setups the only ones I feel confident in doing in a match atm are his target combo, after jumping heavy kick at opponent in air and cancelling out of EX messiah kick. On a couple of occasions I've done "dive kick - low light kick - EX messiah kick - FADC - ultra" but I'm not well practised enough at that yet.
    EDIT: Oh, and after heavy galactic tornado in the corner.

Thanks anyway. All good stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.