Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

SF IV hows online holding up for you?

Niko23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Niko23

just wanting to know hows the online for everyone is for 360 and PS3. Also can you state what system you're playing SFIV on.

i picked up the ps3 version since i like the d-pad better, online is a very playable but its a bit laggy especially when me and the other person use mics.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By granderojo

Just hit 2034 battle-points in ranked, I am happy as hell.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Randolph

It runs great on average.  Which it shouldn't, since most times the connection indicator shows everyone at no bars, despite how smooth they run.  Those indicators only work sporadically for some reason.  It's also way more of a pain in the ass to actually get a match started sometimes than it should be.  "Unable to play" is the result of about eight of ten selections I make from an opponent list, then for some reason the people I am mysteriously unable to play, are still on my search results.  When you get to fighting, it's great.  But it's getting to the fighting that is way too much work.  I'm also not thrilled with the lack of standards for ranked play. (no double blind, and Akuma players using one round 30 second matches to steal wins and boost their BP) But despite the issues getting a fight started, and the typical online shenanigans, the gameplay and presentation are so rock solid that i can't help but enjoy it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

(Unable to Play)
    (Unable To Join Because The Room Was Already Full)
    (repeat)

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By End_Boss

So. Many. Kens.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Illmatic

Playing the games has actually been very smooth with little games experiencing lag. Getting into games is the killer. Don't know what possessed them to force me to choose a game rather than putting me into a match when I choose quick ranked match, resulting in constant messages of "Game is full" or "Unable to join." What's worse is that if I don't choose custom matches to limit the games to same skill I'm constantly put into games with relatively new players spamming firy shoryukens that I blandly counter with a block and tiger uppercut. Picking Dan to go against these Kens can only entertain me for so long.

Edit: Playing on Xbox 360.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince
    End_Boss said:
    "So. Many. Kens.
    "
    That, but connection wise, well.
    Niko23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Niko23

btw what system are you playing SFIV on?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Randolph
    Illmatic said:
    "Playing the games has actually been very smooth with little games experiencing lag. Getting into games is the killer. Don't know what possessed them to force me to choose a game rather than putting me into a match when I choose quick ranked match, resulting in constant messages of "Game is full" or "Unable to join." What's worse is that if I don't choose custom matches to limit the games to same skill I'm constantly put into games with relatively new players spamming firy shoryukens that I blandly counter with a block and tiger uppercut. Picking Dan to go against these Kens can only entertain me for so long.
    "
    Block and throw, then stand right beside them and block the wake up fierce shoryuken and do it again.  That gets SO much rage.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By fr0br0

I only have one problem. Why can't I play people with similar ranking to me? Is this feature broken or does nobody have 700 points anymore? I mean, I a pretty good player, but it doesn't help my skill develop if everybody I face has 2000 more points than me...

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By KingBroly

It's gotten a little more laggy for me over the past week.  It might be because my connection has been getting worse since the start of the year.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By gla55jAw

It's okay, for the most part I don't run into laggy matches on 360. I can't seem to get over 1200 points though, when I'm on a roll I usually lose to someone with like 200 points which makes me lose 100 of my own! annoying!

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By BoG

I just hate how after 5 or so matches I somehow lose my fighting edge. I do really well until I lose, when subconsciously everything goes downhill. Other than that, I hate Ryu and Ken, but I'd much rather everyone play them then Sagat or Balrog, who are much worse.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By ImperiousRix

On my 360, the online works great when I can get into a match.  It takes a bit of effort to find a custom match, but if I create a match or just give me the matches the quick match search gives me, I can get into a match rather quickly.  Regardless of the supposed connection bars, I've seen zero to few hiccups during matches and have been having a blast playing Player Matches against my fellow students of the game.  I've only sporadically done Ranked Matches, as the competitive one off matches don't excite me too much, but overall I'm having a blast with the online experience.

Snake_Eyes_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snake_Eyes_Ex

Been great so far. The slew of Ken's and Ryu's is annoying, but they are mostly beatable so no worries.

As mentioned by many: The unable to join stuff is a little maddening, but that's about it.

satseb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By satseb

online is great on the 360, except for the lack of double blind that Randolph mentioned. I bypass the joining issues by playing in Arcade mode with request ON. I get a live match in less than a minute everytime. It's strange that the Arcade Request works better than the Xbox Live Match menu, but it does.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By damswedon

not bad had only 3 ken matches, 2 really close matches and 2 Dan vs Dan matches.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By breadfan
    MB said:
    (Unable to Play)
    (repeat)
    That has been happening to me non stop since I got the game.  Aside from the frustration of finding a game sometimes, I am enjoying Street Fighter 4 a whole lot. 
    Kaineda77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kaineda77

I got this
    (Unable to Play)
    (repeat)
    as well, and started creating matches, works much better. And, like Satseb said, Arcade Requests are very frequent, though I often get bad match-ups this way, points-wise.

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Naughton

I'm enjoying it a lot, but I have a few issues with the way the matchmaking is handled.

Like some others have said, being unable to connect to most games is a huge bummer. I'm still getting used to the game as I haven't ever been really into Street Fighter until now. Most of the time when searching for games created by similarly skilled players, I am given a list of games that, for whatever reason, I can't connect to. So then I go to create a game, and there's no way to make it so only similarly skilled players can join. It can be a little frustrating.

And of course it would be nice to have a double-blind character selection as well.

In spite of these issues, I'm still having fun playing online, and hopefully these issues will be addressed in the near future.

Playing on 360, by the way.

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Naughton

I'm enjoying it a lot, but I have a few issues with the way the matchmaking is handled.

Like some others have said, being unable to connect to most games is a huge bummer. I'm still getting used to the game as I haven't ever been really into Street Fighter until now. Most of the time when searching for games created by similarly skilled players, I am given a list of games that, for whatever reason, I can't connect to. So then I go to create a game, and there's no way to make it so only similarly skilled players can join. It can be a little frustrating.

And of course it would be nice to have a double-blind character selection as well.

In spite of these issues, I'm still having fun playing online, and hopefully these issues will be addressed in the near future.

Playing on 360, by the way.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By StaticFalconar

Well when its 3 in the morning and I can't find a match I'm not surprized. However even the people I know that I play with at bet get 4 bars (they live in the same city). I swear you need a lan conection for 5. Other than the ranked games mess, when I play player matches, it does get fun .

I'm on PSN.

Fr0Br0
    said:

"I only have one problem. Why can't I play people with similar ranking to me? Is this feature broken or does nobody have 700 points anymore? I mean, I a pretty good player, but it doesn't help my skill develop if everybody I face has 2000 more points than me...
    "
    I'm about 800 points so if you wanna face me to develop your skills just PM me.
    Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kratos81
    Br3adfan said:
    "MB said:
    (Unable to Play)
    (repeat)
    That has been happening to me non stop since I got the game.  Aside from the frustration of finding a game sometimes, I am enjoying Street Fighter 4 a whole lot. 
    "
    I used to have the same problem until, I just set for people to join my game as I play the arcade mode. I usually cant even play 1 match with out someone joining in. You can do this ranked or unranked. No more wasting time trying to join games.
    dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dj

From what I can tell a large majority of the matches are perfect. That's way better than I expected.

jmr1500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jmr1500

I'm playing on PS3 and loving the hell out of this game. The fights I've had online are nearly flawless, only 1 or 2 out of the 275 (roughly) I've played have had any lag at all.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By SSbabel
    MB said:
    "(Unable to Play)(Unable To Join Because The Room Was Already Full)(repeat)"
    Same
    DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    2844BP but but im sick of facing guys with 0-500 BP which only increase the BP by 20 or so, but if you lose its minus ~200BP. Just wish the matching making was better.
    Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Stealthoneill

I am around 500BP on the PS3, holds up ok although as you say can lag sometimes depending on connection speeds. Although that has only happened to me a couple of times in the 10 hours of game time!

Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hulk

Xbox 360 recently took a shit and is being sent in for repair soon.  Game plays great online when in matches.  The problem is people either booting or quitting on Hulk after a match or two.  Playing Arcade mode with requests on gets games going very quickly, but it's of questionable connection stability.  Hulk then tries searching custom matches for stability and it takes a lot of luck to get into a game before it fills up or is just "unable to play".  When Hulk does make it in the person usually plays one or two matches and then quits, if not quitting right away which starts the process all over again.

Got all of the ranked achievements and have just been sticking with player matches now since on occasion it's possible to find someone that will stick around for 10-15 matches.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By suneku

I've been playing on the PS3 and online isn't bad. Searching straight up for matches seems to suck on both systems. I do fight requests and juts play arcade mode, usually get at least 1 online opponent for every cpu opponent. I don't use my mic so it probably helps the latency.

Cynical_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cynical_Gamer

I'm enjoying online on 360 a lot. Matches load up fast. Almost lag free. Not so much on PS3. The load time between online matches is painful.  I bet 95% of PS3 SFIV players don't bother installing the game on their hard drives.  I found the quickest way to find matches is to start your own matches rather than searching for them.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By suneku

I installed my SF4 onto my PS3, and the offline loading is sooooooooooo much faster.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.