Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

SF IV Online

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By gla55jAw

I read and saw the review, It has ranked and player matches, but does player matches include "quarter match" and touraments like SSFIITHDR? If it doesn't thats pretty lame.

NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By NateDogg

I don't see a "quarter match" type under the player matches... Unless i'm blind.  You can play the same person in player matches over and over again if you like without exiting to lobbies after a player match..  

But it is basically like HD Remix where its quick match, custom or create.. under ranked or player match types.

I hope someone corrects me cause I also like the quarter matches.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gla55jAw

Yea,, I mean I mostly play ranked matches anyways, but from time to time I would dable in quarter matches and tourny's, I just see it as taking a step back if they don't have it and SSFIITHDR does.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have the game. And there is no quarter matches or anything. It's just 2 players. It's really disappointing. Online is one of the main reasons I got the game and I had fun playing 2+ players online in games like Hyper Fighting, HD Remix, DOA, and SC. It's a shame because this game is so great in every regard except online, which is one of the most important things.

Jeff should've gone into slightly more detail about the online on this game.

NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By NateDogg

I agree.. It does kind of suck that there isn't a tournament mode online or even the quarter player matches.

Maybe DLC? :S 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope so, but I feel doubtful. Japanese developers usually aren't too up on updating their online games.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gla55jAw

Yeah I don't understand this, (I'm also surprised Jeff didn't say anything about it in the review) It's basically a bare bones game without these, I mean the whole reason everyone is pumped about this is because we can play eachother. And to not have a mode that HD Remix has doesn't really make sense. I found that to be a big reason why I couldn't get into the online in VF5.

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Kratos81

The online kinda of sucks on psn. It always takes 5 or 6 tries before I can get in to a game. Then when I get in one, If I whoop the guys ass he quits the session and I have to go trough the process all over again. There should have atleast been a tournament mode or some thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay I found out there's gonna be some DLC called "Championship Mode" which will be for free, and it will add replays and some sort of tournament matching system? I don't really know what that is, but it sounds like there may be some hope yet for DLC to improve online.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By MAST

This is exactly why in another thread on this forum, i said that Street Fighter 4 is absolutely not worth 60 bucks. It's not a full game. Other fighters have shown what all you can put into a fighting game. It doesn't just have to simply be 1 player fighting another player, or computer controlled player. Games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl has tons of other stuff you can do in it, as well as a story/adventure mode. MK vs. DC has a story mode. Etc.

You can get the same Street Fighter experience for only 15 bucks if you buy Super Street Fighter HD Remix. Street Fighter 4 doesn't offer anything that makes it worth 60 bucks. Do yourself a favor, and buy SSFHDRemix and stick it to Street Fighter 4. We should be demanding more from game developers, not less. I guess that's the reason why there are so many terrible, low content games that come out every year. Because people will just take whatever developers regurgitate into their mouths.
    Street Fighter 4 is nothing but an expansion pack, and should be priced the same. It's not a completely new game. It's Street Fighter 2, with a few new characters and power meters. It should be 30 bucks at most. The same as MMORPG's do with their expansion packs. MMO Xpacks add new content, and sometimes change the gameplay experience quite a bit, but they don't charge 60 bucks for it. They charge 30. Street Fighter 4 falls into that same model.

Here's the other thread where i talked about the same thing:
    http://www.giantbomb.com/street-fighter-iv/61-20456/fighters-without-a-story/35-226089/#16

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf
    MAST said:
    "This is exactly why in another thread on this forum, i said that Street Fighter 4 is absolutely not worth 60 bucks. It's not a full game. Other fighters have shown what all you can put into a fighting game. It doesn't just have to simply be 1 player fighting another player, or computer controlled player. Games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl has tons of other stuff you can do in it, as well as a story/adventure mode. MK vs. DC has a story mode. Etc.

"
    Did you just compare Street Fighter to Super Smash Bors.? That deserves a lol right there...
    bandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By bandro

I'm shock that you can't do a winner-stays-on mode on this.  With simple 1-on-1 lobbies you'll be bound to have people quitting out on you left right and centre.  Nothing beats the community spirit of being in a room of 5 people, with everyone systematically trying to challenge the winner - who most of the time is murdering everyone... I don't even care that in these modes I always go up against the best, because it's fun and is uncannily like being at the arcade.

I'm literally waiting for this game to arrive in the post, and now i'm pretty down on it.  If this continues i may not even bother buying a fight stick.  Personally, I don't want to have to go on a personal date with a stranger to get my SFIV competitive thrill.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MAST
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Did you just compare Street Fighter to Super Smash Bors.? That deserves a lol right there.."

Nope, read it again. I compared the content... Besides, whether or not a hardcore Street Fighter fighting fanboy like yourself wants to admit it. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is in the same league, and same genre as Street Fighter. The SSB fighting games have had a competitive scene for a long, long time. It's a fighting game with just as much depth, and technique as Street Fighter. So don't try to start this little quibble again. It's all semantics, and has been discussed to death already, with people on each side of the fence.

Street Fighter vs. Super Smash Bros.
    Halo vs (Insert other FPS game)
    PS3 vs. 360

All the arguments are the same, and just as pointless. So get over you personal preference, and let's talk about the actual point i was making.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Hopefully that comes out eventually for free DLC, just really started getting playing SF2HDR. Fuck, before playing SF2HDR the real last time I had really played any Street Fighter game was back in the day on the SNES.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alex_Murphy
    MAST said:
    You can get the same Street Fighter experience for only 15 bucks if you buy Super Street Fighter HD Remix. 
    Lies !
    Sakura isn't in HD remix and neither are focus attacks, ultra combos or the third dimension.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I am disappointed by the online, I can't agree with you on the rest, MAST. I still feel that SFIV is a great game and a lot of fun, and it's different enough from previous Street Fighters. I like the Ultra Combos and EX moves they added in and such. It's a great game, and definitely one of my favorite fighters ever. The online is the only thing I'm disappointed about - unfortunately that's a pretty important factor.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's a shame, such a shame.

I hope the EVO  peeps arrange tournaments on private servers on the PC version.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By wefwefasdf
    MAST said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Did you just compare Street Fighter to Super Smash Bors.? That deserves a lol right there.."

Nope, read it again. I compared the content... Besides, whether or not a hardcore Street Fighter fighting fanboy like yourself wants to admit it. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is in the same league, and same genre as Street Fighter. The SSB fighting games have had a competitive scene for a long, long time. It's a fighting game with just as much depth, and technique as Street Fighter. So don't try to start this little quibble again. It's all semantics, and has been discussed to death already, with people on each side of the fence.

Street Fighter vs. Super Smash Bros.
    Halo vs (Insert other FPS game)
    PS3 vs. 360

All the arguments are the same, and just as pointless. So get over you personal preference, and let's talk about the actual point i was making.

"
    I'm not a Street Fighter fanboy. This is the first SF game I have ever played. The way both games are played are entirely different and I really don't understand how you can even compare them.
    Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Fracture

I think some things that were said in the review are confusing some people. There's nothing called a "quarter match" but there is a way to get the old arcade feel. At the main menu if you hit the right bumper button (on the 360) you can edit your stats. It says this on the bottom of the screen for PS3 users as I don't know what button you guys need to press. Anyhow after you bring up that menu you can pick your title and Icon, but you can also set the game to allow live players to join your arcade games. You can set it to player or ranked match and what your preferences are for length and what not. Now when you play arcade games you will from time to time get a random person jumping in while your playing.

Regardless if you won the VS live match you get sent back to your arcade at whatever step you were on at the time, and people can still keep joining you as you play through. You can turn this feature off through the status screen whenever you want. Also when you start the vs match you get to pick a new character, when the match is over you go back to whatever character you were using before the jump in.

Hope that helps.

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By bagmanforhire

what about the arcade mode jump in thingy where it puts you in a quick match queue, i think that's brilliant it gives you some thing to do while you wait.

What fracture said :)

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    bandro said:

Bunk is da man!
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By get2sammyb

Quote from an article I wrote for my site a couple of weeks ago:

"Also confirmed for the Japanese audience is a free download entitled “Championship Mode”. The free download will offer “tournament style network play”. High ranked players will also have replays of their matches uploaded and saved to the Street Fighter serves for other gamers to study."

It's confirmed for Japan but it will almost definitely come to the West.

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bagmanforhire

@Kratos81: you play on ps3 and you have problems finding games i play on the ps3 and i have no such problems in fact it took me an hour to finish arcade mode cause i was getting in so many ranked matches!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The "tournament style network play" sounds cool, but I wonder how that will work. Can you do it with just your friends? Either way though, I still want a quarter-type mode. Playing tournament brackets over and over isn't as exciting.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MAST
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "MAST said:
    I'm not a Street Fighter fanboy. This is the first SF game I have ever played. The way both games are played are entirely different and I really don't understand how you can even compare them.
    "

Because they are both fighting games..? Is this really that confusing? Am i speaking in riddles?

Quake and Unreal Tournament FPS games are very different from Call of Duty, or Counter-Strike. But that doesn't mean you can't compare them, or that they don't fall into the same genre just because they play differently. They are still FPS games... The same goes for Street Fighter and Super Smash Bros. You don't have to agree, but this is the fact of the matter.

And again... I wasn't even really comparing the two games. I was talking about the amount of content in one, versus another. Not the gameplay, or style of one vs. another.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sickVisionz
    What is quarter play?  Does it have anything to do with 1/4 (like 1/4 a match or health bar) or do you mean something where its like a bunch of people in a lobby and the game is setup to where it just cycles through that list of players in a winner stays, loser goes to the back of the queue style?

I think the Arcade mode where you can get interrupted is cool, but I really wish there was a way to turn it on and off in between matches or by going to the pause menu.  Its very annoying to get interrupted when you're about to win a match, only to go online and the person leaves the match.  That seems like it could be patched though.

SpikeSpiegel
    said:
    "MAST said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:

Nope, read it again. I compared the content.
    The way both games are played are entirely different and I really don't understand how you can even compare them.
    Dude, he's not talking about the fighting engines or anything at all.  He's not even talking about the game play.  He saying that there are more features in Smash than SF4.  I can agreee.   I think the ability to record a match should be standard.  If a Wii  game can record like 5 minutes of any match, I don't know why a 360 or PS3 fighter can't record a max of 99 seconds of button presses.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quarter Match AKA Winner Stays, is just a mode where...well, the winner stays. People are in a lobby and keep trying to take their turns beating the winner until he loses. Then the former winner goes to the back of the line while the new champion takes on challengers. Repeat.

And I forgot to mention, the free "Championship Mode" DLC will include an ability for replays.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MAST
    sickVisionz said:
    Dude, he's not talking about the fighting engines or anything at all.  He's not even talking about the game play.  He saying that there are more features in Smash than SF4.  I can agreee.   I think the ability to record a match should be standard.  If a Wii  game can record like 5 minutes of any match, I don't know why a 360 or PS3 fighter can't record a max of 99 seconds of button presses."

Thank you. Finally someone gets it. I thought i was speaking spanish or something, without realizing it.

I could seriously write up a page long list of features that games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Soul Calibur, MK vs. DC, etc. have that Street Fighter IV doesn't have. And Super Smash Bros. was even 10 dollars cheaper then Street Fighter IV. Plus it's a Wii game.

That's just... Sad.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ImpendingFoil

I thought this game was going to pair you in ranked matches with players around your skill level.  Yesterday I got matched against a guy that had almost 2000 points more then me and I was at 98. 

He  then  destroyed me.

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bagmanforhire

@ImpendingFoil: most of the time it does but every once in awhile it will do that

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.