Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

SFIV with Xbox 360 Controller

Ally264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Ally264

Hey i used to play SF Alpha 3 years and years ago and definately thinking about buying this cause frankly it looks awesome though im kinda worried that the Xbox 360 controller won't be good enough to play it with, as the D-pad is shockingly bad and i dunno how well a SF game with play with an analog stick? What do you think?

Btw i suck at the game last time i checked - still fun though :)

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kmdrkul

The analog stick works well with shoto's... charge characters not so much.  This is in my experience; hell, the first couple of weeks playing with the analog stick I couldn't even properly dash forward/backward because it is so awkward. 

It pretty much benefits certain moves and nerfs others.  Like doing a hadouken is a lot easier and more fluid, but doing a Guile's sonic boom is more difficult. 

IMO, of course

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Eelcire

While I was able to play with the controller, I ended up getting a fightpad and prefer to use that for my fighting games (as well as some of my XBLA games). Truely a shame, as the 360 controller is perfect for me in every other respect; just the d-pad that really sucks.

Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By VitaminWaterYum

The controller won't impair your playing too much unless you're using the d-pad.

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gambit

If your use to playing with a controller you can made due with it. Its not as good as a playstation controller but its alright

Ally264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ally264

Is one of those gamepad things advised for someone like me - a casual player?

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kmdrkul
    Ally264 said:
    "Is one of those gamepad things advised for someone like me - a casual player?"
    Nah- it's way too big of an investment for a casual player... unless you really want one.
    Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gambit

I love the gamepad but the problem is finding one. Also ally if you want to play a few matchs sometime send me a FR tag is Gambit1986.

Ally264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ally264

Maybe when i get the game Gambit lol I've got a birthday coming up so i might get it with the money i get

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The analogue stick works fine. It's designed to work well with it, and it does that. Obviously it's not going to be as good as using an arcade stick or decent D-Pad, but it is fine. When I started playing it I was surprised at how I just picked up the controller and started using the analogue stick. I didn't realize I was doing it. After about an hour I realized and was so surprised at how natural it felt. I'm sure this is partially due to me not being a huge hardcore fighting game fan, but since you've not already got SFIV, I'm guessing you're not either.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By REDRUN

zangief + xbox 360 controller = profit

its not bad on the gamepad, just can't play for long sessions without getting blisters.

Try the t-shirt/thumb trick and try to avoid the battery release button on the top. Hate to lose a battery during a ranked match.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    kmdrkul said:
    "The analog stick works well with shoto's... charge characters not so much.  This is in my experience; hell, the first couple of weeks playing with the analog stick I couldn't even properly dash forward/backward because it is so awkward.  It pretty much benefits certain moves and nerfs others.  Like doing a hadouken is a lot easier and more fluid, but doing a Guile's sonic boom is more difficult.  IMO, of course"

Really?  For me it's the contrary.  Manipulating charge characters is pretty easy to do with the analog stick compared to Shoto characters.
    Avatar image for adamantiumfiend
    adamantiumfiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By adamantiumfiend

personally don't care for the 360 controller for SFIV and instead have one of the fightpads...however my preference is certainly colored by the fact that i have had a fightpad type controller on every system that i've ever played street fighter on since the SNES days (of course way back then the default controller was basically a fightpad) :)

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheKidNixon

As a fairly casual SFIV player, I don't find the regular analog stick to be too much a burden for playing with. The only thing that I can't do with 100 percent accuracy is Guile's Ultra. But I don't know how much of that is me, the controller, or the damn move itself.

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Eelcire

While I'm more of a casual player myself, I justified the fightpad price due to me owning several different fighters. If all you're looking for is for Street Fighter IV, the standard 360 should be good enough using the analog stick or even the d-pad. Rumor abounds about new fightpads coming out for the XBLA/PSN release of Marvel vs Capcom, so hopefully those won't be as rare as the SFIV fightpads.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I decided on ordering my Electric-Trouble arcade stick custom because I'm getting wayy into fighting games again.  It's well worth it for all these fighting games like SF IV, DoA 4, Soul Calibur 4, BlazBlue, Tekken 6, KoF XII, Street Fighter HD and maybe there's that rumor that there's gonna be the MvC 2 on XBLA because of those achievements. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By toowalrus

I actually got my hands on a fightpad and came back disappointed. I find that the analog stick is fine, but then again, I usually play Ryu.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By ImperiousRix

I'm still playing with the 360 controller's d-pad.  I don't know how I manage to win matches with it, but it just suits my playstyle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.