Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Should there be more to personal actions?

Galrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Galrick

A very simple question really, but I was wondering if there should be more to personal actions than just an on-screen taunt. Maybe drain some of the EX bar for example?

What do you think?

Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Reale

watch the pro players play and there isnt time to throw out a taunt, you only do it to show off... if you want personal actions that do something i.e damage or health loss / ex loss... then thats more of a move than a personal action and your going back to sfIII with sean having the basket ball and dudley with the rose (ended up being used as a move over a taunt as they hit the opponant and stop there jumpins/attacks) so in reality your not asking for personal actions but more moves...

why would you have an action that lowers ex? (i am assuming you mean the opponants ex meter) it upsets the gameplay from the get go...

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By End_Boss

As Reale said, personal actions that lower an opponent's EX meter would just upset gameplay flow. Street Fighter IV does not need that.

Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Reale

in an ideal world i would welcome minor updates to sfiv... lobby issues to be sorted out / net code to be better, tournament mode / league mode, new characters added over time (instead of having to buy a new version of the game) and have the infinite Fei long combo taken out.

we can all dream!

Galrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Galrick
    Reale said:
    "watch the pro players play and there isnt time to throw out a taunt, you only do it to show off... if you want personal actions that do something i.e damage or health loss / ex loss... then thats more of a move than a personal action and your going back to sfIII with sean having the basket ball and dudley with the rose (ended up being used as a move over a taunt as they hit the opponant and stop there jumpins/attacks) so in reality your not asking for personal actions but more moves... why would you have an action that lowers ex? (i am assuming you mean the opponants ex meter) it upsets the gameplay from the get go... "

Well, personal actions are moves. If it happens on the screen, it's a move. It's just that personal actions just don't do anything and as such, there's no reason for a player (pro or otherwise) to use them. Why would anyone use a useless move if it means getting a fireball in the face? On the other hand, if said action does something extra, then it might be worth the risk.

And I personally don't think that personal actions reducing the EX bar would upset the gameplay. It can easily be argued that EX, Supers and Ultras are upsetting the game balance in the first place. There has been pros and cons for and against EX, Supers and Ultras since the beginning, so it's pretty much down to a matter of personal opinion by now. Having personal actions reduce the EX bar would be about risks vs rewards. And in this case, considering how easily it is to gain EX, the risks are probably higher than the reward.

Obviously, personal actions reducing EX is just an option, an example. There are others. It's just that having moves that doesn't do anything, and that nobody use because of it is a bit of a no-sense to me.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ImperiousRix

I dunno about this idea.
    Really, the personal action is kinda useless unless you're completely destroying somebody to show off, OR if you're trying to bait an opponent into attacking you.  About 90% of the matches I never use the personal actions.

Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Reale

a "move" would consist of something that can inflict damage to your opponent...  fucking walking isnt considered a move is it... "oh man, what a move... did you see that? he walked forward!", also there are moves that are considered useless or to the point that they are easily punished so they go hardly unused...

and yes the ex reducing idea WOULD upset the game play... take this for an example, you down to 25% hp and your opponent has 75% hp, he decides to turtle as the timer counts down, you know you have to make a move but getting close will probably result in some form of health loss.. you have 2 bars on your ex meter and thats it! you decide to use one and you manage to get inside and course some damage, you retreat and concider doing somthing similar in an attempt to close the gap before time runs out... but oh wait you just got -EX taunted... you now dont have the last ex bar, theres 12 seconds on the clock and your oppanent is dancing a jig trying to bait you in... that is upseting the ballence of the game!

and dont tell me supers upset the game... they are the staple in most/all fighting games, fireballs/charges/grabs... and the only people that easily arguee it are usually WRONG...

you talk about risk vs reward play as fucking zangief...

your so quick to deffend your opinion even though its trivial, i dont even know why i am bothering with this thread...

SFIV is one of the most ballenced games in the franchise, its not like sfIII were you either play as either chun or yun! just have fun with the game and stop asking "should there be..." because i can tell you the answer now and its NO... not going to happen...

/taunts and leaves...

Galrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Galrick
    Reale said:
    you talk about risk vs reward play as fucking zangief... your so quick to deffend your opinion even though its trivial, i dont even know why i am bothering with this thread...

Woah there kid. Back up a little and take a deep breath. There's no need for you to get upset about this.

I'm defending my opinion because it's my opinion, and you're doing exactly the same with yours. That being said, I'm not wrong simply because I state an opinion and I'm not wrong simply because we don't see eye to eye. The EX reducing thing was an example, one of many I'm sure. Considering how long the game has been out in arcades or on consoles, any changes to personal actions would upset the perspective players have of the game, of how they play, and that wouldn't be a good thing.

Obviously, we're not going to see any changes to personal actions. They're rarely ever used, so there's really no reason to patch them up. The most I can see happening is shorter animation sequences so that player can actually use them while playing. Other than that... I don't think so.
    Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Reale

kid? don't patronize me, no one is upset here, just because i used a few expletives dont take that as an indication of me crying in my chair in a darkened room.

my point is simple, even if we cant agree on the theoretical question at hand and that point now is - why ask "should there be  (x) in the game?"  i get its a gaming forum and we can debate on the what ifs and maybe i attacked back in my last post, however surely we should be praying on the important things NEEDED in Street Fighter 4, from the Double Blind select to the Fei Long infinite combo or lobby issues ect.

but feel free to drop by my "Should there be a crotchless Chun-li costume?" thread

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By REDRUN
    Galrick said:
    "

A very simple question really, but I was wondering if there should be more to personal actions than just an on-screen taunt. Maybe drain some of the EX bar for example?

What do you think?

"
    isn't that what you describe snk's art of fightingbattle system? i though that is what we have Dan for on the roster. Learn Dan's Legendary Taunt, epic!
    Galrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Galrick
    Reale said:
    <snip>
    however surely we should be praying on the important things NEEDED in Street Fighter 4, from the Double Blind select to the Fei Long infinite combo or lobby issues ect.

Well I wouldn't consider personal actions an issue in any way. It's really more of a "Is this game mechanic working as it should, or should there be more to it".

That being said, the double blind, infinite combo and general matchmaking problems are definite issues and hopefully Capcom is working on those. I certainly wouldn't want them to work on other stuff while there are important gaming issues to deal with.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By StaticFalconar

I do think personal actions could be a bit more than just a taunt (ala 3rd strike stuff).

but draining an ex bar is by far the stupidest thing I ever ever heard. even in 3rd strike the taunt attacks even if they hit was so minor that it was the cherry on the top of the combo you did (or opener), that it matter very little (yes I know countless matches have gone down to the last little pixel of life left that the taunt attack does count)  and was still ultimately for style. the Ex bar and EX moves are so integrated in the game that having a move that takes it away, you might as well not even implement the ex bars in the first place.

I'm not even against fei longs infinite since he wasn't that powerful in the first place. Now if somebody found an infinite with a top tier character like Sagat, then we might have a problem. Bugs and glitches that make low tier characters better are much welcomed.

Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Reale

well i dont play as abel or seth anyways so its all good :P still, i think any infinite combo should be taken out at once.. but the more little neich things you add (such as the 3s type taunt) it makes the game less apealing to newer players and capcom wanted to make noobs (myself included in that remark) welcome...

the technicality of s3 was so great that it didnt sell and only the hardcore stayed with it... i think the level its at now is perfect! even with the scrubs!

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By PureRok

The taunt is there for mind games, nothing more.

Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Reale

after going over this thread last night i decided to use the taunt in a match, i ended up baiting people with it on there get ups because they thought i was trying to do phyco crusher (Dictator) when all he does is shake his purple hands lol

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By ImperiousRix

I play a very defensive Guile which really works in my favor against aggressive opponents.  Sometimes, however the guy is just hanging back and after pelting his guard with Sonic Booms and he's still turtling up, I try the personal action.  Sometimes it's enough to hurt the guy's pride and make him go on the offensive so I guess personal actions have that going for them.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By REDRUN
    Galrick said:
    "

What do you think?

"
    Try unlocking the "No Sweat" achievement first. That is proof that you have all the personal actions before you ask for more. There are ten for each character, that is a total of 250 personal actions in the game. Is that enough for you?
    Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Reale
    REDRUN said:
    "Galrick said:
    "

What do you think?

"
    Try unlocking the "No Sweat" achievement first. That is proof that you have all the personal actions before you ask for more. There are ten for each character, that is a total of 250 personal actions in the game. Is that enough for you?"
    oh snap... wish i knew that info before hand! jesus, thats alot of Personal Actions right there...

Galrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Galrick
    REDRUN said:
    "Galrick said:
    "

What do you think?

"
    Try unlocking the "No Sweat" achievement first. That is proof that you have all the personal actions before you ask for more. There are ten for each character, that is a total of 250 personal actions in the game. Is that enough for you?"

Yes, I'm aware of the 'No Sweat' achievement. My point however wasn't that I wanted more personal actions, but that I wanted to know if people would have liked to see more to personal actions: some extra, tangible effect or feature to there taunts.

That being said, it's interesting to hear of people who used personal actions in-game and were actually able to taunt the other player.
    Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Reale

i use taunts now while the other player is dizzy... pisses them right off

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By REDRUN

Galrick,
    The game "Art of Fighting" from SNK did have a taunt feature in the fighting system. They also stole alot of ideas and move sets from the original Street Fighter and SF II. Its like comparing Saints Row to GTA. SNK's AoF had of course the wandering protagonist and  a son of a billionaire as the two main characters. They took almost every thing about SF and try to call it there own. In SNK's defense was the claim of being an "original" fighting game was to slap in taunts which does drain their spirit meter which was used for a special attack. This game came out already after Super SF 2 Turbo.

Capcom was infuriated for this being an unmistakeably a rip off, while SNK still hides behind the taunts, Capcom's solution, enter "Dan" in SF Alpha which debuts a Ken and Ryu wannabe. Dan's facial feature was take from the "Ken" version of SNK's AoF fighter, Robert Garcia. The uniform Dan sports is of the protagonist hero Ryo Sakazaki of AoF. Dan was complete with almost all the exact move set AoF had to offer and of course, the Legendary Taunts.

If Capcom, did make the taunts effect the super meter in anyway, then its a pure rip off from the counterfeit.

Galrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Galrick

That's an interesting bit of info Redrun. Thanks.

REDRUN said:

"If Capcom, did make the taunts effect the super meter in anyway, then its a pure rip off from the counterfeit."

Yah, I can see the irony in that. Then again, it wouldn't really make sense for Capcom to borrow game mechanics from competing franchises. At least for the Street Fighter serie, they have always been known as being innovative. In a way, they have that reputation to uphold.
    agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By agent_lost

yep, It call Dan Super Taunt, you lose all your super meter. It also a good way to see if the other guy is a jackass. If it let you finish the taunt then is alright but if is hit then we got a loser in your hand.

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NukeGoBoom

But some taunts affected stats in Third Strike,no?
    Increase defense or attack by half of the normal.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kmdrkul

I actually think the aspect of the taunt is in itself rewarding enough.  Case in point:  I just got done playing as my man El Fuerte, against a clearly newer player playing as Ken.  He immediately jumped and turtled up in the corner; no hadoukens, nothing.  So I proceed to first feign my run before doing my taunt multiple times; he got up, came to me, and that was the end of him from there...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I find taunts to be frequently useful, actually.  For example: when the opponent's in a tight spot or losing and I knock him down, if he doesn't perform a quick wake-up I'll taunt with my character.  The person might perform an ultra thinking it'll hit but it's already too late and I can block out of the taunt, proceeding to counter his ultra with mine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.