Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Since when has Sagat stopped being fair?

Infamousn89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Infamousn89

I have been maining Sagat since Super Street fighter and I was challenging people when I was like 7 years old. I have gotten very good with him, but now when I use him in a public competitive setting, I'm looked down upon and booed. I think this is extremely unfair, as I have come along way from not being able to do a tiger uppercut to being able to predict my opponents every move and act upon it appropriately.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Romination

I think he was overpowered in SFIV. At least, that's what I hear. He's rebalanced, along with everyone, in SSFIV so if you get that he may not be the so hated

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Tiwi
    @Romination said:
    "I think he was overpowered in SFIV. At least, that's what I hear. He's rebalanced, along with everyone, in SSFIV so if you get that he may not be the so hated "

hahaha... me not believe this.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By lordofultima
    @Infamousn89 said:
    " I have been maining Sagat since Super Street fighter and I was challenging people when I was like 7 years old. I have gotten very good with him, but now when I use him in a public competitive setting, I'm looked down upon and booed. I think this is extremely unfair, as I have come along way from not being able to do a tiger uppercut to being able to predict my opponents every move and act upon it appropriately. "
    So people JUST NOW started calling you lame for using Sagat, yet you've been playing since ST days? I'm pretty sure Sagat was 15 times as broken in ST.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Stang

This thread delivers.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lordofultima
    @Stang said:
    " This thread delivers. "
    I laughed, I cried!
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Stang
    @lordofultima: Do you still play online? I miss your Akuma/excuses/verbal abuse :(

NO HOMO
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lordofultima
    @Stang said:

" @lordofultima: Do you still play online? I miss your Akuma/excuses/verbal abuse :(  NO HOMO "

Xbox is in the shop, man! You're behind the times. I've retired from SFIV. Never playing that game again.
    Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Gambit

We all await ultima's Micheal Jordan like return in super SFIV. It will be......................... EPIC!!

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stang

You mean his final return where he quickly tarnished his what was historic career? 

HURRY BACK ULTIMA!

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Infamousn89: Sagat has been unfair since Street Fighter 2. 
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scooper

Sagat will be more balanced with the rest of the cast in SSFIV so wait for that and no one will have a reason to complain.

Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
    @Infamousn89 said:
    " I have been maining Sagat since Super Street fighter and I was challenging people when I was like 7 years old. I have gotten very good with him, but now when I use him in a public competitive setting, I'm looked down upon and booed. I think this is extremely unfair, as I have come along way from not being able to do a tiger uppercut to being able to predict my opponents every move and act upon it appropriately. "
    I think people who look down on ways of playing a game (same with "noob" weapons) to be hilarious.  The implication is that because you're using it, you're worse at the game than they are.  My feeling is that if they're so damn good at the game, they should be able to counter whatever "noobish"/"cheap"/etc. tactics a person employs.  Or they should just join what they can't beat.  
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lordofultima
    @Stang said:
    " You mean his final return where he quickly tarnished his what was historic career?    HURRY BACK ULTIMA! "
    That's what Gambit meant. Michael Jordan's return to BASEBALL! WOOOOO
    Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Elazul

If it's in the game, it ain't cheap. Sagat is the fuckin' MAN!!!!

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By SamStrife
    @Fish_Face_McGee:
    The thing with Sagat is that no matter how much countering they pull off, Sagat can hit them half the amount of times they hit them and still do more damage.  Along with his moves having some rather high priority and one of the best ultras....it means that if 2 players of equal skill played, the Sagat would win evey time because of how powerful he's been made.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Jeffsekai

Sagat is dumb.

misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By misterpope

Sagat's fine. If you win, you win. Tiger Uppercut them in real life if they say different. Thats all you need to do man.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By napalm
    @Fish_Face_McGee: Ah, the generic comment of somebody who doesn't play fighting games. You gotta love these. I know I do!

@lordofultima said:
    " @Stang said:

" @lordofultima: Do you still play online? I miss your Akuma/excuses/verbal abuse :(  NO HOMO "

Xbox is in the shop, man! You're behind the times. I've retired from SFIV. Never playing that game again. "

Yeah because SSFIV is out this month! AMIRITE. Get it? GET IT?! That joke was amazing! Boom! One for Napalm!
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CaptainObvious
    @Jeffsekai: I don't know, he looks like an educated man to me.
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By killroycantkill
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " Sagat is dumb. "
    This
    CanadianBaconX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CanadianBaconX
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " @Jeffsekai: I don't know, he looks like an educated man to me. "
    Sagat... Street Fighter and a brilliant Scientist most noted for his various Tiger related research... True story...
    Splitterguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 78

#23  Edited By Splitterguy

In most cases, especially in games as balanced as SFIV, even if a character is way higher tier than another, it still really comes down to player skill.  I think the reason why people hate Sagat so much is because his most powerful moves are easily accessible.  Sagat has flaws, they just aren't as immediately apparent, and a serious Sagat player is no less respectable than a serious Ryu player.  Or is Ryu also considered to be overpowerd?  Honestly, the SFIV character tiers matter so little to me I don't even know.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @CanadianBaconX said:
    " @CaptainObvious said:
    " @Jeffsekai: I don't know, he looks like an educated man to me. "
    Sagat... Street Fighter and a brilliant Scientist most noted for his various Tiger related research... True story... "
    Damn.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By demontium
    @Infamousn89 said:
    I have no problem with Sagat. 

I think some characters are too weak (like fei long and guile).
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By sfighter21
    @demontium said:
    " @Infamousn89 said:
    I have no problem with Sagat.  I think some characters are too weak (like fei long and guile). "
    What about my girl Rose!!?  Trying beating a good Sagat with her!!!  God d@l\/ln  IT!!!
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Keeng

Sagat's not my main but he's my favorite character in the entire Street Fighter series. I still don't know why everyone hates him and Ken in SFIV. I've fought both dozens of times and the outcome has always been the better player wins the fight.  That sounds perfectly normal.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Stang
    @Keeng: I have nothing against Sagat peronally. I do have a problem with the bullshit trade - forward roundhouse - ultra. Woohoo, 500+ damage with absolutely no effort, YOU ARE SOOOO GOOD!

I hate Ryu for the same reason. I don't discriminate.
    TrakMastaTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TrakMastaTom

Sagat has always been overpowered.  That doesn't mean you should stop playing him, just understand that people are going to get frustrated when they hit you twice as much as you hit them but they still lose.  It sucks.

Of course I main Vega, so I get destroyed in 3 hits no matter who I fight. 

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By demontium
    @sfighter21 said:
    " @demontium said:
    " @Infamousn89 said:
    I have no problem with Sagat.  I think some characters are too weak (like fei long and guile). "
    What about my girl Rose!!?  Trying beating a good Sagat with her!!!  God d@l\/ln  IT!!! "
    True, but when I used to use rose as a secondary I loved fighting noob sagats. 

I would reflect fireballs, slide and grab, and punish random srk all day long. 

Seriously though, yes, sakura and rose are also low tier.
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sfighter21
    @demontium said:
    " @sfighter21 said:
    " @demontium said:
    " @Infamousn89 said:
    What about my girl Rose!!?  Trying beating a good Sagat with her!!!  God d@l\/ln  IT!!! "
    True, but when I used to use rose as a secondary I loved fighting noob sagats.  I would reflect fireballs, slide and grab, and punish random srk all day long.  Seriously though, yes, sakura and rose are also low tier. "
    n00b Sagats are a different story...
    captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By captainfish

There is nothing more satisfying than taking apart a Sagat player with my Fei. I will admit that's its an uphill battle though. I got really cheesed when someone ex dp'ed into ultra and got like most of the hits and the final connection :( Fei doesn't have any easy combos like that.

j0nnyDiGITAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By j0nnyDiGITAL

I think that the higher level you play the more a problem Sagat becomes. Honestly tiers don't matter too much when you're just goofing around with your friends or online.

sho76und3wd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sho76und3wd

Who cares if people cheer you or revile you?  I mean you are already using one of the best characters in the game, do we have to submit to you as well.  WELL IM NOT GONNA BUDDY!

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By dbz1995

The problem you have duder is the fact that Sagat is top tier. Most people choose him because he is top tier. I know you don't-you have a history with him (not gay)-but still, you probably just look a tier whore playing with Sagat.

Better put like this:

No Caption Provided
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Keeng
    @Stang: Man, it's totally not like that for me. Maybe you can chalk it up to me not being that good with Sagat (or maybe it's because I don't play like a jackass) but I struggle to win with him. I don't think any character in the game is overpowered to the point of being hate-worthy, with the possible exception of Seth, who I beat on the regular. I still believe the main point is who's a better player. 
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Stang
    @Keeng: I don't think Sagat is overpowered, and I think he takes a of skill to use properly. He is a bit broke though, there is no logical reason why he should be able to destroy somebody off a trade, that is just ridiculous. Capcom rectified the situation in Super, all is good in my book.
    Heylook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Heylook

I think Stang is overpowered. 

HAYTAHS GUN HAYTE

Infamousn89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Infamousn89

Wow, this got a great response. I understand all criticisms too. I appreciate all the input from both sides of the discussion.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#40  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @Stang said:
    " @Keeng: I have nothing against Sagat peronally. I do have a problem with the bullshit trade - forward roundhouse - ultra. Woohoo, 500+ damage with absolutely no effort, YOU ARE SOOOO GOOD!  I hate Ryu for the same reason. I don't discriminate."
    I'm pretty sure in SSFIV, for Ryu anyway, if he trades an SRK now, he won't be able to follow up with an ultra.  They increased the recovery time on trade.
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Keeng
    @Stang:  Forgive me, but I don't spend nearly as much time as I should talking about SFIV in forums. What exactly is a trade? And for that matter, what's SRK? I'm thinking it might be Standing Roundhouse Kick, but I should probably be sure.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By chrissedoff

alls i know is, the only character that i almost always lose to online is sagat. i'm no street fighter scientist, but to me, he seems unfair.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Stang
    @Keeng:  You know when a person jumps in on you deep and you do a tiger uppercut late? Well, with Ryu and Sagat (and some cases Rog) your opponent stays in a juggleable  (is that a word?)  state and you can then do a forward + roundhouse kick and then do an ultra for massive damage. It is complete horse shit, even some of the top level players who use him agree on that.  

Here is an example of Ryu's

SRK is the abbreviation for shoryuken, with respect to Sagat, tiger uppercut.

Edit

@ ImperiousRix 

Psst, 3 posts before yours! :p
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Stang said:
    " @Keeng:  You know when a person jumps in on you deep and you do a tiger uppercut late? Well, with Ryu and Sagat (and some cases Rog) your opponent stays in a juggleable  (is that a word?)  state and you can then do a forward + roundhouse kick and then do an ultra for massive damage. It is complete horse shit, even some of the top level players who use him agree on that.  

Here is an example of Ryu's

SRK is the abbreviation for shoryuken, with respect to Sagat, tiger uppercut.

Edit

@ ImperiousRix   Psst, 3 posts before yours! :p "
    Add to it that sagats can kara everything as well so it doesn't even matter if he's slow he can still reach you wherever you are. 
    King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#45  Edited By King9999

Sagat's never been fair.  He's just had varying degrees of brokenness over the years.

Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Necrotrophic

Sagat sucks. Capcom doesnt seem to know how to not make him broken.

Granted I didnt play the alpha/crossover games much but... shit. Sagat kills Chun if she tries turtling, if she gets up close she can dominate him, but he can just mash out something that goes into ultra and boom 90% of your damn health is gone.

HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HotSauceMagik

Sagat has been OP to an extent in pretty much every game he's beein in, but there was an interview with either s-kill, or Onosan where they said the game is not perfectly balanced on purpose.   That said, he is particularly OP in 4, but you'll never hear me complain about it.

TheLastNeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheLastNeo

I dont know...    When I first came to these boards, I said right off the bat that I think i suck because I main sagat, and he's "god" tier.  But honest to god, "tiers" only mean so much, and alot of that shit really goes out he window when your in the middle of a match.  

At the end of the day it comes down to what you choose to do with your character at a given moment.   I've gotten my ass handed to me many times over by every character on the current SF roster, just as equally as i've kicked the same amount of ass. 

You win some you lose some, and while many times I might call bullshit during certain moments, in the end..if I lost..... I LOST, because of what I chose to do, or not do.  Not because someone used an exploit to gain a win. 

Sure you can blame it on  lag, or missed links, or some ass who consatantly mashes DP,but none of that matters. 

Every character has the ability to beat another character, Period. 

Sagat is Awesome!  ::

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.