Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

so i just got SFIV...

• 55 results
    Avatar image for nevereatnirnroot
    NevereatNirnroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NevereatNirnroot

why is this game sooo freakin hard?   
    i can barely get through it on easiest, am i missing something?

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Err...just practice like any other fighting game...

There's a practice/training mode.  Learn the moves, supers, ultras, combos, etc.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By spacetrucking

Nope, the game just has a very steep learning curve. You should start with this guide by the GB community for noobies. It's very helpful in learning the basics of SF or any fighting game in general. Once you are comfortable with the controls, take your game online and learn from the community - the computer AI in SF is just cheap and dumb at the same time.

Also, spend some time going through the trials. They help a lot.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lordofultima
    @NevereatNirnroot said:
    " why is this game sooo freakin hard?   i can barely get through it on easiest, am i missing something?  "
    You're missing a lot. Play actual people, seek out knowledge.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Driadon

It comes with time. As other people said, practice moves and get comfortable.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MeierTheRed

Hard is good, means you have to adapt.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By turbomonkey138

Congrats . practice makes perfect :)

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalm

I always get confused when people buy something that requires skill, patience and perseverance to become good at and question why they aren't good within the first day of playing it. It boggles my mind, really. Most of us have put in at least 200+ hours and we still suck. Hell, I've put in at least 250 hours and I'm still relatively crappy.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JJOR64
    @lordofultima said:
    " @NevereatNirnroot said:
    " why is this game sooo freakin hard?   i can barely get through it on easiest, am i missing something?  "
    You're missing a lot. Play actual people, seek out knowledge. "
    What he said.
    xionpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By xionpunk

SFIV was my first street fighter game, so it was a bit intimidating at first.  I'm happy to say I've gone from pathetic to slightly sucky with my online SF skillz   XD. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@NevereatNirnroot: It just takes a long time man. Even the basics I couldn't figure out for months. It wasn't until I started watching youtube videos and hitting up SRK that I even had the slightest bit of understanding. Random fireballs, and wake-up shoryukens turned into zoning and mind games (giving myself way to much credit here; I'm a full screen ultra kinda guy). But yeah, you get the gist. If you are interested, work at it - there's a lot to discover.

In fact, given that last part, look at one of the new threads today: somebody just discovered Gen has a make-shift parry. Its been out for a year! Craziness...
    Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Heartagram

You should add me and we'll play some games i'm fairly new as well only have about 230 matches played 

Heartagram1028 on XBL

Gunner_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gunner_Thor
    @xionpunk said:
    "SFIV was my first street fighter game, so it was a bit intimidating at first.  I'm happy to say I've gone from pathetic to slightly sucky with my online SF skillz   XD.  "

wow, I can't begin to see your point of view.  I started playing street fighter before street fighter 2 came out.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14  Edited By Symphony

Welcome to the fold!

But umm... you can beat Easiest by just spamming roundhouse kicks. Seriously. Even Seth walks right into them...

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By dbz1995

For the sole reason of beating the computer, I used Zangief on medium and went through without losing once. His spinning pile driver is awesome.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lordofultima
    @Gunner_Thor said:

" @xionpunk said:

"SFIV was my first street fighter game, so it was a bit intimidating at first.  I'm happy to say I've gone from pathetic to slightly sucky with my online SF skillz   XD.  "
    wow, I can't begin to see your point of view.  I started playing street fighter before street fighter 2 came out. "
    I played pretty much every iteration of Street Fighter, but I was absolute garbage at all of them. Random fireballs and uppercuts, ONLY fierce attacks, full screen super activation. Not until Street Fighter IV did I start learning fundamentals and try to understand anything. Ignorance is bliss and all that though. I have a ton of fun playing BlazBlue locally with friends, and all we do is just mash buttons and watch crazy things happen.
    EvilGreenDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EvilGreenDevil
    @lordofultima said:
    "@Gunner_Thor said:

" @xionpunk said:

wow, I can't begin to see your point of view.  I started playing street fighter before street fighter 2 came out. "
    I played pretty much every iteration of Street Fighter, but I was absolute garbage at all of them. Random fireballs and uppercuts, ONLY fierce attacks, full screen super activation. Not until Street Fighter IV did I start learning fundamentals and try to understand anything. Ignorance is bliss and all that though. I have a ton of fun playing BlazBlue locally with friends, and all we do is just mash buttons and watch crazy things happen. "

I need to pick me up a cheap copy of Blaze Blue. I was thinking KOF too.  

Back on topic...SF4 is a great and refreshing fighting game because it allows someone who hasn't really played figters much to pick it up and learn how to get better. The fundamentals are there and a great start is going throug challenge mode to see some of the character specific combos. Other than practice the best way to learn is to keep playing real people. You'll get it. 
    Gunner_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gunner_Thor
    @lordofultima said:
    "@Gunner_Thor said:

" @xionpunk said:

I played pretty much every iteration of Street Fighter, but I was absolute garbage at all of them. Random fireballs and uppercuts, ONLY fierce attacks, full screen super activation. Not until Street Fighter IV did I start learning fundamentals and try to understand anything. Ignorance is bliss and all that though. I have a ton of fun playing BlazBlue locally with friends, and all we do is just mash buttons and watch crazy things happen. "

I was the exact same as you.  The only reason I even used light attacks was when I noticed computer Ryu doing it.  I remember every arcade had an unwritten rule that you couldn't throw people, lol.  But like you, SF4 was the first version where I cared to learn tactics and fundamentals.  The cool part is that I'm enjoying this game more than any street fighter I've played because we really are goinig way deeper.   

We tried playing Blazeblue, but my one friend is mad advanced and dominates us all so we converted him to SF4, he's a pretty sick Akuma player now.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Driadon
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Gunner_Thor said:

" @xionpunk said:

This totally sounds like me. Those many many hours I put into my Genesis version of Super Street Fighter II where mostly just spent hitting the C button over and over again until I beat the game. I eventually learned some of the special moves, which helped my transition to SF4, but never learned when to use them right until now.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Stang

I have played for 600 hours and still can't beat he computer on easiest, welcome to the scrub club.

deathface123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deathface123

you suck nimroot... ;)

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By FLStyle
    @NevereatNirnroot: I can't believe no-one has pointed this out yet, but why have you bought SFIV now when Super SFIV is only a month or two away?
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By bed
    @JJOR64 said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @NevereatNirnroot said:
    You're missing a lot. Play actual people, seek out knowledge. "
    What he said. "
    what they said
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lordofultima
    @FLStyle said:
    " @NevereatNirnroot: I can't believe no-one has pointed this out yet, but why have you bought SFIV now when Super SFIV is only a month or two away? "
    Because that's 2 more months of experience playing SF4 that he can have that other people with your outlook will not.
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By frankxiv
    @lordofultima said:
    " @FLStyle said:
    " @NevereatNirnroot: I can't believe no-one has pointed this out yet, but why have you bought SFIV now when Super SFIV is only a month or two away? "
    Because that's 2 more months of experience playing SF4 that he can have that other people with your outlook will not. "
    what if you plan on playing juri? can't exactly practice that now.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lordofultima
    @onimonkii said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @FLStyle said:
    Because that's 2 more months of experience playing SF4 that he can have that other people with your outlook will not. "
    what if you plan on playing juri? can't exactly practice that now. "
    You can still learn match-ups and fundamentals that well certainly carry over.
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By frankxiv
    @lordofultima said:
    " @onimonkii said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @FLStyle said:
    what if you plan on playing juri? can't exactly practice that now. "
    You can still learn match-ups and fundamentals that well certainly carry over. "
    i suppose you're right, but as you already pointed out, he's going about it all wrong playing against the ai. all that will teach him is bad habits.
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By FLStyle
    @lordofultima: You don't really think that he shares your way of thinking, do you? I doubt it. It's much more likely that he decided to join the party late by buying a game that he doesn't realise will be out-dated soon because he heard a lot of buzz about it.
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By sfighter21
    @FLStyle said:
    " @lordofultima: You don't really think that he shares your way of thinking, do you? I doubt it. It's much more likely that he decided to join the party late by buying a game that he doesn't realise will be out-dated soon because he heard a lot of buzz about it. "
    But, I can't imagine they are going to cut-off SFIV online and only support SSFIV online.  He may not get ssfiv immediately and will still find people playing sfiv online.  Not as many, but still plenty.  G2 ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon...
    Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Belonpopo

@NevereatNirnroot: 

Just do a lot of Haidukens

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lordofultima
    @sfighter21 said:
    " @FLStyle said:
    " @lordofultima: You don't really think that he shares your way of thinking, do you? I doubt it. It's much more likely that he decided to join the party late by buying a game that he doesn't realise will be out-dated soon because he heard a lot of buzz about it. "
    But, I can't imagine they are going to cut-off SFIV online and only support SSFIV online.  He may not get ssfiv immediately and will still find people playing sfiv online.  Not as many, but still plenty.  G2 ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon... "
    No they aren't EA, there is no server support in a one-on-one fighting game anyway. But he's right, the game will be out-dated and mostly everyone will move on to Super SFIV, that's just the way these things work.
    Ninjalaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ninjalaw

It's best to play people online once you get familiar with the basics, whether it's a character or just in general. Your going to lose ALOT!  You'll probably get frustrated as well, but the more you go at it, the better you'll get over time. Just hit up training mode alot to work on your combo's, execution, and whatnot. Do the trial mode with whatever character is your favorite. You'll learn alot from it. Good luck! : )
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AniMoney
    @Belonpopo said:
    "

@NevereatNirnroot: 

Just do a lot of Haidukens

"
    Yeah totally dude. Haidukens.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By demontium
    @NevereatNirnroot said:
    Everyone does this same topic when they first get it and then later on says how easy arcade is.
    nobull6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By nobull6

Do many of you use a fighting stick, or do you stick with the regular controller?

And if you use a regular controller, do you use the D-pad or the analog stick?

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @nobull6 said:
    " Do many of you use a fighting stick, or do you stick with the regular controller?  And if you use a regular controller, do you use the D-pad or the analog stick? "
    Most of us use TE sticks. Use Analog Stick
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By lordofultima
    @nobull6 said:
    " Do many of you use a fighting stick, or do you stick with the regular controller?  And if you use a regular controller, do you use the D-pad or the analog stick? "
    Majority use stick, but a pad won't hold you back. If you play 360, I'd give the analog stick a shot -- the dpad is poopy on the normal controller.
    Bloopa79Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Bloopa79Aus
    In my opinion if i select very easy , it should hold my hand and walk me through the game. if i want frustrating game play i would pick hard . I cant for the life of me defeat c viper playing as dalsim . that damn cheaop ground pound and fast as hell flying kick . I felt like throwing my disc down the street . that is on very easy. Then the game could have really fought the street
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Bloopa79Aus said:
    " In my opinion if i select very easy , it should hold my hand and walk me through the game. if i want frustrating game play i would pick hard . I cant for the life of me defeat c viper playing as dalsim . that damn cheaop ground pound and fast as hell flying kick . I felt like throwing my disc down the street . that is on very easy. Then the game could have really fought the street
    "
    On very easy you can win with Jumping Hard Kick , to Sweep. How much more hand holding do you want?
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rhaknar

reading topics like this i forget not everyone is 30 years old like me and has the SF gameplay in their genes by now

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Scooper
    @Bloopa79Aus said:
    " In my opinion if i select very easy , it should hold my hand and walk me through the game. if i want frustrating game play i would pick hard . I cant for the life of me defeat c viper playing as dalsim . that damn cheaop ground pound and fast as hell flying kick . I felt like throwing my disc down the street . that is on very easy. Then the game could have really fought the street
    "
    Press standing hard punch as Dhalsim all day and you'll win on very easy. The enemy never blocks.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By napalm
    @Scooper said:
    " @Bloopa79Aus said:
    "
    Press standing hard punch as Dhalsim all day and you'll win on very easy. The enemy never blocks. "
    Lol, you can actually win that way?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Scooper
    @Napalm said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " @Bloopa79Aus said:
    "
    Press standing hard punch as Dhalsim all day and you'll win on very easy. The enemy never blocks. "
    Lol, you can actually win that way? "
    Probably.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By napalm
    @Scooper: Haha, that's pretty funny. I should try that. It'd be the most I will have ever played Dhalsim.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Scooper
    @Napalm: It was just an example. I've never tried it either. I was pretty much saying that if you attack you will inevitably win on very easy.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By napalm
    @Scooper: Oh, okay. Well, regardless: OMG WAKEUP ULTRA FTW.
    Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Belonpopo

I have like 16 hours logged in and i still suck a big one.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Scullinator

Gamertag:    Scullinator

Ill be off work till Tuesday.  Plan on doing nothing but sit around the house watching a few movies and play video games.  (kind of a mini vacation)  Hit me up.  Im average at best.  Im playing Mass Effect 2 currently but will quit out for a game of SF4.

Avatar image for nevereatnirnroot
    NevereatNirnroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NevereatNirnroot
    @FLStyle said:
    "@NevereatNirnroot: I can't believe no-one has pointed this out yet, but why have you bought SFIV now when Super SFIV is only a month or two away? "

i got it for 10 quid used so i just figured i'd try it out, i was well aware that super was coming out but didnt really care at that price.

thanx for the good advice peeps, i've been training hard lately and after losing several dozen times in a row  won my first match online with ryu and i kid u not i jumped up and shouted i was so happy the other guy had like 2000bp and i was still at 0. 

i see what everyone means by the ai being fickle as hell its like some time he just doesnt bother to block and other times will punish u for the smallest mistake, anyway i need to get bettter now the next step is focus cancells i feel like ryus srk fadc to ultra is the reason everone says he's a good choice and without i think my game is lacking.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Stang

Easy way to do fadc ultra

Do an srk, hold forward at the end of the motion. Hit mk +mp while still holding forward, as soon as the cancel animation begins tap forward one more time. Go make a sandwich then come back and do the ultra, god knows you have about 3 hours to enter the inputs with Ryu.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.