so i just got SFIV...

  • 55 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by NevereatNirnroot (72 posts) -

why is this game sooo freakin hard?   
i can barely get through it on easiest, am i missing something?
 
#2 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

Err...just practice like any other fighting game...
 
There's a practice/training mode.  Learn the moves, supers, ultras, combos, etc.

#3 Posted by Spacetrucking (943 posts) -

Nope, the game just has a very steep learning curve. You should start with this guide by the GB community for noobies. It's very helpful in learning the basics of SF or any fighting game in general. Once you are comfortable with the controls, take your game online and learn from the community - the computer AI in SF is just cheap and dumb at the same time.
 
Also, spend some time going through the trials. They help a lot.

#4 Posted by lordofultima (6247 posts) -
@NevereatNirnroot said:
" why is this game sooo freakin hard?   i can barely get through it on easiest, am i missing something?  "
You're missing a lot. Play actual people, seek out knowledge.
#5 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -

It comes with time. As other people said, practice moves and get comfortable.

#6 Posted by pornstorestiffi (4914 posts) -

Hard is good, means you have to adapt.

#7 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

Congrats . practice makes perfect :)

#8 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I always get confused when people buy something that requires skill, patience and perseverance to become good at and question why they aren't good within the first day of playing it. It boggles my mind, really. Most of us have put in at least 200+ hours and we still suck. Hell, I've put in at least 250 hours and I'm still relatively crappy.

#9 Posted by JJOR64 (18989 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @NevereatNirnroot said:
" why is this game sooo freakin hard?   i can barely get through it on easiest, am i missing something?  "
You're missing a lot. Play actual people, seek out knowledge. "
What he said.
#10 Posted by xionpunk (366 posts) -

SFIV was my first street fighter game, so it was a bit intimidating at first.  I'm happy to say I've gone from pathetic to slightly sucky with my online SF skillz   XD. 

#11 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@NevereatNirnroot: It just takes a long time man. Even the basics I couldn't figure out for months. It wasn't until I started watching youtube videos and hitting up SRK that I even had the slightest bit of understanding. Random fireballs, and wake-up shoryukens turned into zoning and mind games (giving myself way to much credit here; I'm a full screen ultra kinda guy). But yeah, you get the gist. If you are interested, work at it - there's a lot to discover.
 
In fact, given that last part, look at one of the new threads today: somebody just discovered Gen has a make-shift parry. Its been out for a year! Craziness...
#12 Posted by Heartagram (1182 posts) -

You should add me and we'll play some games i'm fairly new as well only have about 230 matches played 
 
Heartagram1028 on XBL

#13 Posted by Gunner_Thor (74 posts) -
@xionpunk said:
"SFIV was my first street fighter game, so it was a bit intimidating at first.  I'm happy to say I've gone from pathetic to slightly sucky with my online SF skillz   XD.  "

wow, I can't begin to see your point of view.  I started playing street fighter before street fighter 2 came out.
#14 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

Welcome to the fold!
 
But umm... you can beat Easiest by just spamming roundhouse kicks. Seriously. Even Seth walks right into them...

#15 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

For the sole reason of beating the computer, I used Zangief on medium and went through without losing once. His spinning pile driver is awesome.

#16 Edited by lordofultima (6247 posts) -
@Gunner_Thor said:

" @xionpunk said:

"SFIV was my first street fighter game, so it was a bit intimidating at first.  I'm happy to say I've gone from pathetic to slightly sucky with my online SF skillz   XD.  "
wow, I can't begin to see your point of view.  I started playing street fighter before street fighter 2 came out. "
I played pretty much every iteration of Street Fighter, but I was absolute garbage at all of them. Random fireballs and uppercuts, ONLY fierce attacks, full screen super activation. Not until Street Fighter IV did I start learning fundamentals and try to understand anything. Ignorance is bliss and all that though. I have a ton of fun playing BlazBlue locally with friends, and all we do is just mash buttons and watch crazy things happen.
#17 Posted by EvilGreenDevil (199 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
"@Gunner_Thor said:

" @xionpunk said:

"SFIV was my first street fighter game, so it was a bit intimidating at first.  I'm happy to say I've gone from pathetic to slightly sucky with my online SF skillz   XD.  "
wow, I can't begin to see your point of view.  I started playing street fighter before street fighter 2 came out. "
I played pretty much every iteration of Street Fighter, but I was absolute garbage at all of them. Random fireballs and uppercuts, ONLY fierce attacks, full screen super activation. Not until Street Fighter IV did I start learning fundamentals and try to understand anything. Ignorance is bliss and all that though. I have a ton of fun playing BlazBlue locally with friends, and all we do is just mash buttons and watch crazy things happen. "

I need to pick me up a cheap copy of Blaze Blue. I was thinking KOF too.  
 
Back on topic...SF4 is a great and refreshing fighting game because it allows someone who hasn't really played figters much to pick it up and learn how to get better. The fundamentals are there and a great start is going throug challenge mode to see some of the character specific combos. Other than practice the best way to learn is to keep playing real people. You'll get it. 
#18 Posted by Gunner_Thor (74 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
"@Gunner_Thor said:

" @xionpunk said:

"SFIV was my first street fighter game, so it was a bit intimidating at first.  I'm happy to say I've gone from pathetic to slightly sucky with my online SF skillz   XD.  "
wow, I can't begin to see your point of view.  I started playing street fighter before street fighter 2 came out. "
I played pretty much every iteration of Street Fighter, but I was absolute garbage at all of them. Random fireballs and uppercuts, ONLY fierce attacks, full screen super activation. Not until Street Fighter IV did I start learning fundamentals and try to understand anything. Ignorance is bliss and all that though. I have a ton of fun playing BlazBlue locally with friends, and all we do is just mash buttons and watch crazy things happen. "

I was the exact same as you.  The only reason I even used light attacks was when I noticed computer Ryu doing it.  I remember every arcade had an unwritten rule that you couldn't throw people, lol.  But like you, SF4 was the first version where I cared to learn tactics and fundamentals.  The cool part is that I'm enjoying this game more than any street fighter I've played because we really are goinig way deeper.   
  
We tried playing Blazeblue, but my one friend is mad advanced and dominates us all so we converted him to SF4, he's a pretty sick Akuma player now.
#19 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @Gunner_Thor said:

" @xionpunk said:

"SFIV was my first street fighter game, so it was a bit intimidating at first.  I'm happy to say I've gone from pathetic to slightly sucky with my online SF skillz   XD.  "
wow, I can't begin to see your point of view.  I started playing street fighter before street fighter 2 came out. "
I played pretty much every iteration of Street Fighter, but I was absolute garbage at all of them. Random fireballs and uppercuts, ONLY fierce attacks, full screen super activation. Not until Street Fighter IV did I start learning fundamentals and try to understand anything. Ignorance is bliss and all that though. I have a ton of fun playing BlazBlue locally with friends, and all we do is just mash buttons and watch crazy things happen. "
This totally sounds like me. Those many many hours I put into my Genesis version of Super Street Fighter II where mostly just spent hitting the C button over and over again until I beat the game. I eventually learned some of the special moves, which helped my transition to SF4, but never learned when to use them right until now.
#20 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

I have played for 600 hours and still can't beat he computer on easiest, welcome to the scrub club.

#21 Posted by deathface123 (81 posts) -

you suck nimroot... ;)

#22 Edited by FLStyle (4693 posts) -
@NevereatNirnroot: I can't believe no-one has pointed this out yet, but why have you bought SFIV now when Super SFIV is only a month or two away?
Online
#23 Posted by AjayRaz (12427 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @NevereatNirnroot said:
" why is this game sooo freakin hard?   i can barely get through it on easiest, am i missing something?  "
You're missing a lot. Play actual people, seek out knowledge. "
What he said. "
what they said
#24 Posted by lordofultima (6247 posts) -
@FLStyle said:
" @NevereatNirnroot: I can't believe no-one has pointed this out yet, but why have you bought SFIV now when Super SFIV is only a month or two away? "
Because that's 2 more months of experience playing SF4 that he can have that other people with your outlook will not.
#25 Posted by onimonkii (2441 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @FLStyle said:
" @NevereatNirnroot: I can't believe no-one has pointed this out yet, but why have you bought SFIV now when Super SFIV is only a month or two away? "
Because that's 2 more months of experience playing SF4 that he can have that other people with your outlook will not. "
what if you plan on playing juri? can't exactly practice that now.
#26 Posted by lordofultima (6247 posts) -
@onimonkii said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @FLStyle said:
" @NevereatNirnroot: I can't believe no-one has pointed this out yet, but why have you bought SFIV now when Super SFIV is only a month or two away? "
Because that's 2 more months of experience playing SF4 that he can have that other people with your outlook will not. "
what if you plan on playing juri? can't exactly practice that now. "
You can still learn match-ups and fundamentals that well certainly carry over.
#27 Posted by onimonkii (2441 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @onimonkii said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @FLStyle said:
" @NevereatNirnroot: I can't believe no-one has pointed this out yet, but why have you bought SFIV now when Super SFIV is only a month or two away? "
Because that's 2 more months of experience playing SF4 that he can have that other people with your outlook will not. "
what if you plan on playing juri? can't exactly practice that now. "
You can still learn match-ups and fundamentals that well certainly carry over. "
i suppose you're right, but as you already pointed out, he's going about it all wrong playing against the ai. all that will teach him is bad habits.
#28 Posted by FLStyle (4693 posts) -
@lordofultima: You don't really think that he shares your way of thinking, do you? I doubt it. It's much more likely that he decided to join the party late by buying a game that he doesn't realise will be out-dated soon because he heard a lot of buzz about it.
Online
#29 Posted by sfighter21 (798 posts) -
@FLStyle said:
" @lordofultima: You don't really think that he shares your way of thinking, do you? I doubt it. It's much more likely that he decided to join the party late by buying a game that he doesn't realise will be out-dated soon because he heard a lot of buzz about it. "
But, I can't imagine they are going to cut-off SFIV online and only support SSFIV online.  He may not get ssfiv immediately and will still find people playing sfiv online.  Not as many, but still plenty.  G2 ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon...
#30 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

@NevereatNirnroot: 

why is this game sooo freakin hard?   
i can barely get through it on easiest, am i missing something?

 

Just do a lot of Haidukens

#31 Posted by lordofultima (6247 posts) -
@sfighter21 said:
" @FLStyle said:
" @lordofultima: You don't really think that he shares your way of thinking, do you? I doubt it. It's much more likely that he decided to join the party late by buying a game that he doesn't realise will be out-dated soon because he heard a lot of buzz about it. "
But, I can't imagine they are going to cut-off SFIV online and only support SSFIV online.  He may not get ssfiv immediately and will still find people playing sfiv online.  Not as many, but still plenty.  G2 ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon... "
No they aren't EA, there is no server support in a one-on-one fighting game anyway. But he's right, the game will be out-dated and mostly everyone will move on to Super SFIV, that's just the way these things work.
#32 Posted by Ninjalaw (26 posts) -

It's best to play people online once you get familiar with the basics, whether it's a character or just in general. Your going to lose ALOT!  You'll probably get frustrated as well, but the more you go at it, the better you'll get over time. Just hit up training mode alot to work on your combo's, execution, and whatnot. Do the trial mode with whatever character is your favorite. You'll learn alot from it. Good luck! : )
#33 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -
@Belonpopo said:
"

@NevereatNirnroot: 

why is this game sooo freakin hard?   
i can barely get through it on easiest, am i missing something?

 

Just do a lot of Haidukens

"
Yeah totally dude. Haidukens.
#34 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -
@NevereatNirnroot said:
" why is this game sooo freakin hard?   i can barely get through it on easiest, am i missing something?  "
Everyone does this same topic when they first get it and then later on says how easy arcade is.
#35 Posted by nobull6 (238 posts) -

Do many of you use a fighting stick, or do you stick with the regular controller?
 
And if you use a regular controller, do you use the D-pad or the analog stick?

#36 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@nobull6 said:
" Do many of you use a fighting stick, or do you stick with the regular controller?  And if you use a regular controller, do you use the D-pad or the analog stick? "
Most of us use TE sticks. Use Analog Stick
#37 Posted by lordofultima (6247 posts) -
@nobull6 said:
" Do many of you use a fighting stick, or do you stick with the regular controller?  And if you use a regular controller, do you use the D-pad or the analog stick? "
Majority use stick, but a pad won't hold you back. If you play 360, I'd give the analog stick a shot -- the dpad is poopy on the normal controller.
#38 Edited by Bloopa79Aus (119 posts) -
In my opinion if i select very easy , it should hold my hand and walk me through the game. if i want frustrating game play i would pick hard . I cant for the life of me defeat c viper playing as dalsim . that damn cheaop ground pound and fast as hell flying kick . I felt like throwing my disc down the street . that is on very easy. Then the game could have really fought the street
#39 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
@Bloopa79Aus said:
" In my opinion if i select very easy , it should hold my hand and walk me through the game. if i want frustrating game play i would pick hard . I cant for the life of me defeat c viper playing as dalsim . that damn cheaop ground pound and fast as hell flying kick . I felt like throwing my disc down the street . that is on very easy. Then the game could have really fought the street
"
On very easy you can win with Jumping Hard Kick , to Sweep. How much more hand holding do you want?
#40 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

reading topics like this i forget not everyone is 30 years old like me and has the SF gameplay in their genes by now

#41 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@Bloopa79Aus said:
" In my opinion if i select very easy , it should hold my hand and walk me through the game. if i want frustrating game play i would pick hard . I cant for the life of me defeat c viper playing as dalsim . that damn cheaop ground pound and fast as hell flying kick . I felt like throwing my disc down the street . that is on very easy. Then the game could have really fought the street
"
Press standing hard punch as Dhalsim all day and you'll win on very easy. The enemy never blocks.
#42 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" @Bloopa79Aus said:
" In my opinion if i select very easy , it should hold my hand and walk me through the game. if i want frustrating game play i would pick hard . I cant for the life of me defeat c viper playing as dalsim . that damn cheaop ground pound and fast as hell flying kick . I felt like throwing my disc down the street . that is on very easy. Then the game could have really fought the street
"
Press standing hard punch as Dhalsim all day and you'll win on very easy. The enemy never blocks. "
Lol, you can actually win that way?
#43 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" @Scooper said:
" @Bloopa79Aus said:
" In my opinion if i select very easy , it should hold my hand and walk me through the game. if i want frustrating game play i would pick hard . I cant for the life of me defeat c viper playing as dalsim . that damn cheaop ground pound and fast as hell flying kick . I felt like throwing my disc down the street . that is on very easy. Then the game could have really fought the street
"
Press standing hard punch as Dhalsim all day and you'll win on very easy. The enemy never blocks. "
Lol, you can actually win that way? "
Probably.
#44 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Scooper: Haha, that's pretty funny. I should try that. It'd be the most I will have ever played Dhalsim.
#45 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@Napalm: It was just an example. I've never tried it either. I was pretty much saying that if you attack you will inevitably win on very easy.
#46 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Scooper: Oh, okay. Well, regardless: OMG WAKEUP ULTRA FTW.
#47 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

I have like 16 hours logged in and i still suck a big one.

#48 Posted by Scullinator (513 posts) -

 
Gamertag:    Scullinator
 
Ill be off work till Tuesday.  Plan on doing nothing but sit around the house watching a few movies and play video games.  (kind of a mini vacation)  Hit me up.  Im average at best.  Im playing Mass Effect 2 currently but will quit out for a game of SF4.

#49 Posted by NevereatNirnroot (72 posts) -
@FLStyle said:
"@NevereatNirnroot: I can't believe no-one has pointed this out yet, but why have you bought SFIV now when Super SFIV is only a month or two away? "


i got it for 10 quid used so i just figured i'd try it out, i was well aware that super was coming out but didnt really care at that price.

 
thanx for the good advice peeps, i've been training hard lately and after losing several dozen times in a row  won my first match online with ryu and i kid u not i jumped up and shouted i was so happy the other guy had like 2000bp and i was still at 0. 
 
i see what everyone means by the ai being fickle as hell its like some time he just doesnt bother to block and other times will punish u for the smallest mistake, anyway i need to get bettter now the next step is focus cancells i feel like ryus srk fadc to ultra is the reason everone says he's a good choice and without i think my game is lacking.

#50 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Easy way to do fadc ultra
 
Do an srk, hold forward at the end of the motion. Hit mk +mp while still holding forward, as soon as the cancel animation begins tap forward one more time. Go make a sandwich then come back and do the ultra, god knows you have about 3 hours to enter the inputs with Ryu.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.