Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Street Fighter IV Dilemma

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Edited By HairyMike87

Lately, my blogs have been full of rage and frustration toward games that I like. That stops right now. I am not going to have blogs that are all about the bad things about a game and will not bash anymore because it gets old pretty quick. So on a final note related to my previous blog, Burnout Paradise is a good game and I like it and it's worth $20.

Now, I need your help. I was recently looking on amazon.com at 360 arcade sticks and found out that if I wanted to purchase Street Fighter IV with the $80 stick, it will be around $140. $140?! This will be the most money that I ever spend to play a video game.  If I spend the rest of my Christmas money on that stuff, I will have $10 left. 

Now my question to you is, would it be worth the wait for that MadCatz stick or is there another alternative that you personally played with that matches the quality of actual arcade sticks?

Thanks for reading.
    HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By HairyMike87

Lately, my blogs have been full of rage and frustration toward games that I like. That stops right now. I am not going to have blogs that are all about the bad things about a game and will not bash anymore because it gets old pretty quick. So on a final note related to my previous blog, Burnout Paradise is a good game and I like it and it's worth $20.

Now, I need your help. I was recently looking on amazon.com at 360 arcade sticks and found out that if I wanted to purchase Street Fighter IV with the $80 stick, it will be around $140. $140?! This will be the most money that I ever spend to play a video game.  If I spend the rest of my Christmas money on that stuff, I will have $10 left. 

Now my question to you is, would it be worth the wait for that MadCatz stick or is there another alternative that you personally played with that matches the quality of actual arcade sticks?

Thanks for reading.
    Avatar image for eightbitwarrior
    EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By EightBitWarrior

It's worth it to get the mad catz fightstick, because if anything goes wrong with it in the future, not only does it have a 3 year warranty, but it's EXTREMELY easy to open up and switch out parts. Like as simple as snapping in and out buttons and connecting a wire directly into the button/board. No soddering.

I hear the Hori EX sticks are pretty unreliable, especially with my one friend who had two malfunction on him in a month.
    gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By gearhead

The Saturn esk controllers is where its at!

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By lordofultima

The MadCatz stick is going to be great, and the cheaper of the two is easily modifiable to better parts, unlike the Hori's which take a soldering gun or whatever. If you've never used a stick before or otherwise are pretty good with old school fight pads, I'd recommend the pad instead. A lot of people are going to get the sticks whom I imagine in the end won't really enjoy the feel of playing.

Avatar image for theworstplayerever
    TheWorstPlayerEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Im really looking forward to SFIV but im not competative enough to invest on a fight stick. Im just gonna stick with the regular controller

Usagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Usagi

I don't know if you play many downloadable arcade style games or not, but that is something that could be played with your arcade stick too.  These things aren't only good for fighters.

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HairyMike87

I do enjoy many arcade games. I have a ton of points left over from Christmas and will probably buy some games like Galaga and Pac-Man. I love fighting games but I want to be able to play them the way they are intended because the 360 controller is ass sandwich.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By myke_tuna

If you can afford it and really want that stick then get it. I joined the Shoryuken forums and the experienced people on there as well as lordofultima here say the regular FighStick will be really easy to upgrade, and I've never owned a stick in my life, let alone modded one. But I trust their word, and will probably end up modding mine in the future. Although, I don't know where you can preorder those things right now. Or if you're looking to find one at launch or post-launch, I'm not sure exactly what stores will have them in stock. I ordered mine from the Capcom Shop, and their preorders sold out 30 min. later. But again, in the end it's all up to you.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By AthleticShark

The question is is that if you are really going to use it. Are you going to get it, play SF with it until something new comes out and stop playing it because of all the other fantastic games coming out. The question is this, spend 140$ on one game, or spend that on at least if now 3 other great games coming out this year.

Ryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ryu
    eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By eric_buck

Not worth it. Either wait, get a cheaper one or don't get one at all IMO.

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HairyMike87
    HellBound said:
    "The question is is that if you are really going to use it. Are you going to get it, play SF with it until something new comes out and stop playing it because of all the other fantastic games coming out. The question is this, spend 140$ on one game, or spend that on at least if now 3 other great games coming out this year."
    Hmmm. I need to see what other games are coming out. I only know of Resident Evil 5 and I'm on the fence about that. 
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By lordofultima

I don't know, for me I pretty much assume I'll be playing SFIV day in and out for most of 2009. And beyond. That's the difference between Street Fighter and every other game that comes out...you DON'T forget about it, because it never gets old. In my opinion, anyway. 3rd Strike has been a staple for years, and people still play that.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Xandurson

I can't help you there but I would go with whatever you think is the best route. I know that sounds like I'm dodging the question, but that truly is my answer.

TJSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TJSmash

A Hori Real Arcade Pro EX ($130), is a good alternative to the Mad Catz $150 stick.  They come stock with a Sanwa stick, but the buttons are Hori.  The buttons are easily swapped out for Sanwas or whatever brand you like (you might even like the stock buttons /shrug) since they have quick disconnects.  No soldering required.  I have 2 of these sticks and I'm very happy with them.  Also, the stock button layout is weird.  But easily remedied.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Real-Arcade-Pro-EX/dp/B001GDONZS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1234421650&sr=8-1

Like others have said it all really depends if you, yourself can justify spending that much on 1 game.  You might be able to get by getting one of the Mad Catz fightpads for $40.  Me and my buds all love fighting games, and we get together all the time to play them, so I could justify getting 2 sticks for my setup.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gearhead said:
    "The Saturn esk controllers is where its at!"
    Yeah man, the second iteration of the Saturn controller was perfect for fighters

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.