Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Street Fighter IV tips

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By LackLuster

I got Street Fighter IV when it first came out and didn't really play it much mostly because I suck so bad at it that  the frustration is just too much to handle.  When tekken 6 came out I got the special edition that  came with the wireless fighting stick, so Ive been using it for awhile with tekken and been enjoying quite a bit.  But after watching the live stream with super street fighter IV I really wanna get into it, but I'm still having a ton of trouble I'm just working on unlocking the characters right now I've unlocked Sakura and  Dan so far.  Now I'm working on beating arcade mode with C Viper, but I am having a ton of issues when I have to fight big guys like Zangief I just get absolutely crushed so if anyone has any tips for absolute street fighter noob I'm all ears. 

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Pessh

Don't play arcade for a start, the AI sucks and fighting it won't help you when it comes to playing real people. If you want to get better jump online and prepare to get your ass kicked again and again

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Symphony

There's a bunch of posts in the SFIV forum that are a good place to start for tips (assuming they're not buried in the back pages)...

General tips... lesse... start with the basics like learning how to throw fireballs and such ;P Try out different characters and find which feels right for you then start learning their combos and such. Experience is really the best teacher, though. When fighting characters like Gief, you'll learn that standing next to him is generally not a good idea. Once you're starting to get a feel for how the character(s) you want to main play, start reading up on how to FADC (assuming that's even useful for your character, some characters like Chun Li, don't get a ton of benefits out of FADCing, though it's still useful to know), and there are a ton of "advance technique" videos on youtube you can look up for any character that can give you an idea of fancier combos and such.

Overall though, practice, practice, practice. Play different people, learn what to expect and then come up with ways to counter those things. Good luck! And if you have it for the 360, I'd be more than happy to spar with ya -- GT: Lovely Sniper

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Gambit

well you can unlock the characters playing on the easiest difficulty. On that setting the AI is so dumb you can pretty much just sweep them to death. No really a tip to help you get better but you will be able to unlock the characters easier.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

If you are just trying to unlock the characters and don't care about achievements, play on Easiest so you can get all the characters and never have to play arcade mode again.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LackLuster
    @Symphony: Damn I have it on PS3 thanks for the offer though

@Gambit said:

" well you can unlock the characters playing on the easiest difficulty. On that setting the AI is so dumb you can pretty much just sweep them to death. No really a tip to help you get better but you will be able to unlock the characters easier. "

I'm doing that right now and I still got my shit kicked by Seth, but not as bad as i did on easy mode i suppose
    CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By CptChiken

easiest way to beat arcade mode is to put it on easiest and do nothing but jump in with a hard kick to low kick combo again and again... you get a perfect every time... thats what i did just so i could unlock everyone

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LackLuster

I must be like the worst player ever I'm still getting destoryed by seth

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CptChiken

seth is indeed a massive wanker... but that should work... works for me

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By raviolisumo

Isn't Seth super cheap regardless of difficulty?

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dbz1995
    @LackLuster said:
    " I must be like the worst player ever I'm still getting destoryed by seth "
    Add Pessh. He shall teach.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By jacksukeru
    @LackLuster said:
    " @Symphony: Damn I have it on PS3 thanks for the offer though

@Gambit said:

" well you can unlock the characters playing on the easiest difficulty. On that setting the AI is so dumb you can pretty much just sweep them to death. No really a tip to help you get better but you will be able to unlock the characters easier. "

I'm doing that right now and I still got my shit kicked by Seth, but not as bad as i did on easy mode i suppose "
    I think they mentioned on the Bombcast that there was some sort of bug in the "easiest" mode. I also kept getting my ass beat in that mode, especially against Zangeif. 

Getting humiliated off and online eventually just made me quit, not helping that the character I'd settled on, Vega, had a frikkin impossible ultra to pull of consistently. 

Will still probably pick up SSF4, and hate it.
    LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LackLuster
    @RockmanBionics said:

" @LackLuster said:

" @Symphony: Damn I have it on PS3 thanks for the offer though

@Gambit

said:

I'm doing that right now and I still got my shit kicked by Seth, but not as bad as i did on easy mode i suppose "
    I think they mentioned on the Bombcast that there was some sort of bug in the "easiest" mode. I also kept getting my ass beat in that mode, especially against Zangeif.  Getting humiliated off and online eventually just made me quit, not helping that the character I'd settled on, Vega, had a frikkin impossible ultra to pull of consistently.  Will still probably pick up SSF4, and hate it. "
    are you serious? cause i've never been destroyed so hard in a fighting game before, but it seems like they would have patched that

@CptChiken said:
    " seth is indeed a massive wanker... but that should work... works for me "
    I get in a few hits like that then Seth just grabs me and juggles me till i'm pretty much KOed
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Set it to one round, easiest, pick zangief & spam lariat. 

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By jacksukeru
    @LackLuster: Haven't played it in a while, just remember that thing from the Bombcast when it was released. No real confirmation, maybe we just suck.
    LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LackLuster
    @CptChiken: I just beat arcade using your tactic with Abel it was quite easy, but i couldn't get it too work with C Viper.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pessh
    @dbz1995 said:
    " @LackLuster said:
    Add Pessh. He shall teach. "
    No he won't.
    SofaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By SofaKing

Becoming good at Street Fighter IV requires a bit of research (as well as of course practice). You'll want to move away from Arcade mode once you unlock the characters. Try all the characters casually and pick ONE to focus one (at first at least). Not necessarily a high ranked character. Pick one you enjoy playing. If you want to compete online, you'll have to know your character inside and out. Read the forum http://shoryuken.com/ to pick up strategies and tips. Practice combos. But, at the same time, it's not all about combos. Knowing other characters and how to respond to them with your character is crucial. Reading the play. In higher-level matches, I find that losing even a bit of focus can turn the entire match in the opponent's favour. You want to know your character so well that your eyes are always focused on the opponent, anticipating and reading. Learn how to use openings to unleash combos. Punish.

SofaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SofaKing

And CROUCHJAB! 

edit: I have a good amount of experience with Blanka and Bison, so if you pick either of them, I can help you out if you want. Xbox gamertag is Sofa Cylon.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LackLuster
    @SofaKing said:

" And CROUCHJAB!   edit: I have a good amount of experience with Blanka and Bison, so if you pick either of them, I can help you out if you want. Xbox gamertag is Sofa Cylon. "

Shit I don't know why I buy fighting games for PS3 its clear that everyone plays on 360 (the curse of having all 3 systems)
    Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By Necrotrophic
    @LackLuster said:
    the easiest way to beat seth is to do a fierce hurricane kick like move.  it hits him every time. any kind of attack that keeps you moving is what you want 
    random ultras work too, especially when he teleports all over the place
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scooper
    @Necrotrophic said:
    " @LackLuster said:
    the easiest way to beat seth is to do a fierce hurricane kick like move.  it hits him every time. any kind of attack that keeps you moving is what you want  random ultras work too, especially when he teleports all over the place "
    Nahh, the best thing against Seth, even on the hardest differculty is to sit just outside his command grab range, the CPU buggs out and always seems to do his wierd spin kicks which you can block everytime and you'll have a massive window to do whichever combo of your choosing. Piece of piss. If you try and do mixups and stuff like that on his wakeup he'll guess right everytime and you'll have no chance of winning.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@LackLuster: I'll be online in two days if you want a few basic pointers etc. There are a few really good PS3 players here, just ask around. Sofaking said it best though: research. That is honstly the key; it sounds mad to put in that effort for a game, but once you breach a certain skill-barrier the game opens up in so many ways.
    LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LackLuster

Okay well Ive been using Fei Long since I unlocked him and I think I will use him as my main fighter.

@GetEveryone:
      Can try some pointers if you think it will help, but I'm already improving.  I think your right I just need to start researching and playing a lot of online matches which is what I am doing.  I must say though this game has  a much steeper learning curve than most other fighters I managed to get pretty good at tekken without putting half as much work as I'm planning on putting into this, but I am enjoying the idea of how much depth there is which is the main appeal of fighting games for me.   

SofaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SofaKing

I know I said don't necessarily pick a high-ranked fighter, but you should know that Fei Long continually ranks bottom tier. You just don't see a lot of good Fei Longs out there. I love playing as him in casual matches but I find he's a tough character to master. All the power to you if you want to focus on him though. You can check out the most recent rankings here.  

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/17/street-fighter-4-tiers-character-rankings/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.