Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

The Fighting Game Fever! (Not Swine Flu Related)

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico

THE FIGHTING GAME FEVER! (NOT SWINE FLU RELATED)

Welcome to my Blog folks, 

It's a rather pleasant rainy Sunday afternoon here in dear old England, I've had a quite delicious sunday roast and I watched me some Formula One. Nothing out of the usual and that's for the best, but today much of my thoughts have been taken up with the wonderful genre of the beat-em up. This classic and much beloved genre of videogames, as seen quite a resurgence of late with titles such as Street Fighter IV bringing fighting games back to the forefront of gamers minds. Now I shall be the first to admit that compare to most, I'm rather poor at fighting games. But I have always been fond of them, even if I usually find myself at the end of a heavy beating when I take my skills online. But this reawakening of the genre as also reawoken my interests in the many franchises available. 
    Technology as allowed 2D fighters to look better then ever.

I'm not the biggest Street Fighter fan, while I've always appreciated it's generalized few of being the best fighting franchise in existance. That doesn't mean I have to be massively fond of the franchise, I own a few Street Fighter games including the latest entry. But it's a series which as never pressed my buttons and one that as never truly captured my imagination. While I don't personally have a favourite fighting game franchise, the first true fighting game I fell in love with was Soul Blade on the Playstation One. Soul Blade (or Soul Edge as it was known in the US) was a wonderful fighter that of course began the Soul Calibur series, but even I have developed my needs from a fighting game and require something a little bit more nowadays. I did enjoy the latest Soul Calibur game though, but I have found myself more and more interested in the wonders of the 2D fighter. 

When talking about 2D, I'm mostly speaking of it in graphical terms rather then the platform of battle. Afterall Street Fighter 4 is a 2D fighter with 3D graphics, but I'm talking about 2D graphical fighters such as King of Fighters, Guilty Gear and BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger. There's actually quite the fine collection out there and more then enough to please even the most dedicated fighting game fan. I shan't act like I know everything about fighting games, infact compared to even some of you on Giantbomb I know very little. But you don't need to know everything to appreciate a good fighting game and everyone as their different tastes. It's because of this that I have never really had the ultimate fighting experience with Street Fighter, it's usually games such as King of Fighters that I've felt more at home with. Character design is of course also key and while the Street Fighter cast are irreplaceable, they simply don't excite me.

Some of you may judge me for saying such a thing, but that's fine. To truly start enjoying fighting games (especially online) you need to realize that there are much better players then you out there, some of you are simply stunning to play against and know a hell of a lot more then me. Anyway, so my thoughts have been very much on the latest beat-em ups to hit the market. This afternoon I bought an asian version of BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger as it's one of the few fighting games to really excite me and my needs, for one I adore the unique style the game as and having played a short spell of it, I enjoy it's gameplay. But there is more to get excited about, as next week we lucky Xbox 360 and PS3 owners get to play us some Marvel vs Capcom 2 for XBLA and PSN. I've just bought me some Microsoft points to make sure I had enough for this truly special title, even though it's one of the fighting games I truly suck at the most. But what a fighting game it is. 

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger in all it's insane, cute anime and Japanese beauty
    I'm sure many of you have strong views on fighting games, afterall it's one of the few genres to have such a dedicated and competitive following. I will shamefully admit to loving it's return to the limelight and while it's true future is still unclear, I can't wait to see more developers take on the fighting kings of Street Fighter, Tekken and so many others. There is a game out there for everyone, be it the anime superfan or the fans who see fighting games as a form of art. There are folk out there who probably do take it a little 'to' seriously but you have to love even that it an odd sort of way, it's all about finding your comfort zone and fighting folk who you can have fun with. I have had many a match with friends who have been far better then I, but I still had an absolute blast playing. It's a videogame afterall and videogames are there for pleasure rather then pain. 

So any fighting fans out there have much to look forward to in the coming weeks, while we Europeans don't yet have an estimated release date for BlazBlue (one of the reasons I decided to purchase a PS3 version) we do get us some King of Fighters XII at the end of August. Infact it won't be long before we run into the busy months of gaming, better start saving up my pounds and pennies. Hope you do the same, because the next few months are going to be insane for some top games. But there are of course still some fighting games to enjoy and Marvel vs Capcom 2 hits XBLA and PSN next week being part of the Xbox Live's Summer of Arcade. I'm not totally sure how many points it's going to be sold for right now but my guess would be around the 800-1200 mark. I highly recommend a purchase of this arcade game, as it's indeed something special. So for now, keep on fighting the good fight. 

Thanks for Reading, 

Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent)
    (Twitter: JosephBayliss)

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

THE FIGHTING GAME FEVER! (NOT SWINE FLU RELATED)

Welcome to my Blog folks, 

It's a rather pleasant rainy Sunday afternoon here in dear old England, I've had a quite delicious sunday roast and I watched me some Formula One. Nothing out of the usual and that's for the best, but today much of my thoughts have been taken up with the wonderful genre of the beat-em up. This classic and much beloved genre of videogames, as seen quite a resurgence of late with titles such as Street Fighter IV bringing fighting games back to the forefront of gamers minds. Now I shall be the first to admit that compare to most, I'm rather poor at fighting games. But I have always been fond of them, even if I usually find myself at the end of a heavy beating when I take my skills online. But this reawakening of the genre as also reawoken my interests in the many franchises available. 

I'm not the biggest Street Fighter fan, while I've always appreciated it's generalized few of being the best fighting franchise in existance. That doesn't mean I have to be massively fond of the franchise, I own a few Street Fighter games including the latest entry. But it's a series which as never pressed my buttons and one that as never truly captured my imagination. While I don't personally have a favourite fighting game franchise, the first true fighting game I fell in love with was Soul Blade on the Playstation One. Soul Blade (or Soul Edge as it was known in the US) was a wonderful fighter that of course began the Soul Calibur series, but even I have developed my needs from a fighting game and require something a little bit more nowadays. I did enjoy the latest Soul Calibur game though, but I have found myself more and more interested in the wonders of the 2D fighter. 

When talking about 2D, I'm mostly speaking of it in graphical terms rather then the platform of battle. Afterall Street Fighter 4 is a 2D fighter with 3D graphics, but I'm talking about 2D graphical fighters such as King of Fighters, Guilty Gear and BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger. There's actually quite the fine collection out there and more then enough to please even the most dedicated fighting game fan. I shan't act like I know everything about fighting games, infact compared to even some of you on Giantbomb I know very little. But you don't need to know everything to appreciate a good fighting game and everyone as their different tastes. It's because of this that I have never really had the ultimate fighting experience with Street Fighter, it's usually games such as King of Fighters that I've felt more at home with. Character design is of course also key and while the Street Fighter cast are irreplaceable, they simply don't excite me.

Some of you may judge me for saying such a thing, but that's fine. To truly start enjoying fighting games (especially online) you need to realize that there are much better players then you out there, some of you are simply stunning to play against and know a hell of a lot more then me. Anyway, so my thoughts have been very much on the latest beat-em ups to hit the market. This afternoon I bought an asian version of BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger as it's one of the few fighting games to really excite me and my needs, for one I adore the unique style the game as and having played a short spell of it, I enjoy it's gameplay. But there is more to get excited about, as next week we lucky Xbox 360 and PS3 owners get to play us some Marvel vs Capcom 2 for XBLA and PSN. I've just bought me some Microsoft points to make sure I had enough for this truly special title, even though it's one of the fighting games I truly suck at the most. But what a fighting game it is. 

I'm sure many of you have strong views on fighting games, afterall it's one of the few genres to have such a dedicated and competitive following. I will shamefully admit to loving it's return to the limelight and while it's true future is still unclear, I can't wait to see more developers take on the fighting kings of Street Fighter, Tekken and so many others. There is a game out there for everyone, be it the anime superfan or the fans who see fighting games as a form of art. There are folk out there who probably do take it a little 'to' seriously but you have to love even that it an odd sort of way, it's all about finding your comfort zone and fighting folk who you can have fun with. I have had many a match with friends who have been far better then I, but I still had an absolute blast playing. It's a videogame afterall and videogames are there for pleasure rather then pain. 

So any fighting fans out there have much to look forward to in the coming weeks, while we Europeans don't yet have an estimated release date for BlazBlue (one of the reasons I decided to purchase a PS3 version) we do get us some King of Fighters XII at the end of August. Infact it won't be long before we run into the busy months of gaming, better start saving up my pounds and pennies. Hope you do the same, because the next few months are going to be insane for some top games. But there are of course still some fighting games to enjoy and Marvel vs Capcom 2 hits XBLA and PSN next week being part of the Xbox Live's Summer of Arcade. I'm not totally sure how many points it's going to be sold for right now but my guess would be around the 800-1200 mark. I highly recommend a purchase of this arcade game, as it's indeed something special. So for now, keep on fighting the good fight. 

Thanks for Reading, 

Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent)
    (Twitter: JosephBayliss)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is going to be sold for 1200 Microsoft Points, but I hate when people call Fighters Beat 'em Ups.  Beat 'em Ups are games like Final Fight, Little Fighter or Ninja Gaiden to a greater extent.  In Fighters, you're always against opponents that are of the same power as you, not lots of minions or giant bosses.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper

I loved the Soul Blade game on my Dreamcast, I used to play it for ages even though I didn't know alot of the combos. It captured my imagianation when I was younger. I never played another fighting game 'til about 2 years ago when I bought a Super Street Fighter II SNES cart at a junk shop.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By StarFoxA
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is going to be sold for 1200 Microsoft Points, but I hate when people call Fighters Beat 'em Ups.  Beat 'em Ups are games like Final Fight, Little Fighter or Ninja Gaiden to a greater extent.  In Fighters, you're always against opponents that are of the same power as you, not lots of minions or giant bosses. "
    If you're talking about the original Ninja Gaiden arcade game, then sure.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @StarFoxA said:
    "@FluxWaveZ said:
    " Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is going to be sold for 1200 Microsoft Points, but I hate when people call Fighters Beat 'em Ups.  Beat 'em Ups are games like Final Fight, Little Fighter or Ninja Gaiden to a greater extent.  In Fighters, you're always against opponents that are of the same power as you, not lots of minions or giant bosses. "
    If you're talking about the original Ninja Gaiden arcade game, then sure."

No, I was referring to the recent Ninja Gaiden games.  They are primarily "Action" games but you can call them Beat'Em Ups because you are a powerful ninja against many less powerful minions or way more powerful bosses.  That's the essence of a Beat'Em Up.
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StarFoxA
    @FluxWaveZ: They're more hack and slash games than beat 'em up.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @StarFoxA said:
    "@FluxWaveZ: They're more hack and slash games than beat 'em up."

Are those not synonyms?
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By StarFoxA
    @FluxWaveZ: No, hack and slash games are more usually more like God of War, Devil May Cry, and the recent Ninja Gaiden games, while beat 'em ups tend to be games like Streets of Rage, Final Fight, etc. At least that's what I've always thought.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @StarFoxA: Well, by those examples, hack and slash is just a beat 'em up where the character you control has a sword and slices stuff up.  The gameplay isn't all that different.  A beat'em up can be 3D as well, such as MadWorld or Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.  But from the Wikipedia article, the games you mentioned are considered Hack and Slash games indeed.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

Your first sentence made me feel all warm and cozy inside. I felt like we could sit down with a small racer and have some fun... After that, I fell apart, I suck and don't play fighting games. Oh well, back to my dream.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By animateria

KOF 12... Honestly, I don't care for. It's missing a bunch of characters... A lot, considering it is supposed to be a "dream" match of some sorts, that's just iffy.

BlazBlue... Won't those characters ever shut the hell up? That is my only, yet reason to not purchase, gripe. I think it looks and plays interestingly enough but the sound designer needs to be fired.

Tekken 6... What's this? A better looking Tekken 5 DR? So far my impressions are underwhelming. But its Tekken, I'm probably buying it anyways.

MvsC2 is a no-brainer. Day 1 purchase!

I think SF4 put up a high benchmark for a lot of fighting games coming out this year.  It lost some of the overtly hardcore aspects of Third Strike (3S is a extremely technical game yes, but its also very unfriendly towards newbies), but adds its own gimmick that newbies and hardcore alike can easily use, yet mastering it still requires hours and hours of practice.

High level tournament matches are just as unbelievable as 3S, putting it at the top of any fighting game tournament. What's also interesting is that Capcom got it as near perfection on its first try. (SF3 took 3 iterations for example) The 2nd SF4 will have a big mountain to climb to impress.

For someone who casually enjoys most fighting games, (Golden years KOF (98-2K imo), MvsC,GGXXAC, SF2-3 and A3, TK5DR, SC4... Sadly no VF5 since PS3 version is gimped), I really think Capcom pushed all the right buttons with SF4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.