This is the part where I ask really dumb questions

#1 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -

I've thought about getting into this game for a few days now, but I have some questions, mainly regarding whether or not I will enjoy it. I've never really played a fighting game in my life, and I usually play FPS and RPGs. Will I have trouble liking the game because of this? Also, if I do end up getting it, will I be fine playing with a normal controller? I've read about people getting all fancy with these joysticks or whatever you call them (forgive, for I am but a noob), so that's got me concerned since I don't really plan on paying extra just to get something to play the game with. Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

It really just depends on if you like the game or not.  There's not really any discerning of it by personal taste (unless you dislike fighting games, which would obviously mean you wouldn't like this).  I will say that you will do fine with the Xbox 360 controller in the beginning and if you want to play casually, but if you want to get competitive you'd really need to go for something better because your execution wouldn't be as good as it could.
 
Thing is, if you want to get competitive there's some 'learning' involved.  It's not like playing MW2 where everything is straight forward and you just need to get good at those things.  With Street Fighter IV, you need to learn the combos, the combo strings, learn the various techniques and lingo, learn the matchups and if you want to be hardcore, study stuff like the frames and crap.  You don't need to particularly do those to get good at the game, but if you don't you probably won't be.

#3 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

Hey, I'm a SFIV noob and this was the first fighting game I got heavily into in years. I get my ass kicked regularly online and love every minute of it. The gameplay is super easy to get into and I'm fine with just the Xbox 360 controller cause I ain't that dedicated enough to shell out hundreds for a stick. Although this game and this game alone made me contemplate building one from scratch. 
 
Hope this helps.
#4 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

I've never skydived before. Do you think I will like it? I mean, I've flown in planes and even took a tour of the city in a helicopter, but will that affect my opinion of whether or not I like skydiving?
 
Sorry, I'm being facetious, but that's not exactly something someone else can answer for you -- you'll never know until you try it yourself. I will say that if you jump right into online play with no clue of what you're doing and get your ass handed to you repeatedly, chances are you'll walk away with a sour taste in your mouth. So after getting used to the single player, your best bet is to find a friend (or even someone here on GB) who can help ease you into the online by letting you practice with them and building up confidence. Sure you'll still get your ass handed to you when you jump into fighting strangers most likely, but at least you'll be a lot more prepared and raise your chances of not only winning, but actually enjoying the game.
 
And the regular controllers are fine (360 at least, dunno about PS3). I HIGHLY recommend sticking with the joystick instead of D-Pad, but then there are people out there who would say the exact opposite. Try both and see which feels better.
 
If you do get it, hopefully you enjoy it, and I'd be happy to help ya practice if you happen to get the 360 (or PC) version.

#5 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

you don't need a fancy joystick fight pad thing those are only for people that are more comfortable with then controllers.
I have not been to an arcade in 15 years so I'm much better at playing with controller than I would be with a fight pad.

#6 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Symphony said:

" I HIGHLY recommend sticking with the joystick instead of D-Pad, but then there are people out there who would say the exact opposite. Try both and see which feels better. "

So did you manage to stick with your arcade stick it and finally get used to it?
 
Edit: Oh wow, just realized I'm not even following you... Rectifying that.
#7 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6987 posts) -

I don't play fighting games much and I enjoyed SFIV. I had fun playing on my PS3 controller, though since you're on 360, there could be a difference.

#8 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Symphony said:

" I HIGHLY recommend sticking with the joystick instead of D-Pad, but then there are people out there who would say the exact opposite. Try both and see which feels better. "

So did you manage to stick with your arcade stick it and finally get used to it?  Edit: Oh wow, just realized I'm not even following you... Rectifying that. "
Hahaga...haha.... ha.... yeeeaa...no.
 
I practice with it for a bit each time I play till I get frustrated and switch back. I'll get used to it one day!
#9 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -

Is there a demo or anything out there that I can try?

#10 Posted by aerious (124 posts) -

try the SF2 turbo HD remix demo and imagine the combos being a bit easier and there you go haha.

#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@natetodamax: No, but you could play the Street Fighter II HD Turbo Remix demo on XLA, connect a player two controller and experiment with that to see if it's your thing...  Not really the same thing but whatevs.  An alternative could be to search for a local arcade having an arcade cabinet of SF IV and play that a little.
#12 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

I'm a big fighting game fan so of course i adore Street Fighter IV. You just have to try it, and it's totally affordable today.  
 
Street Fighter IV is more user friendly than a lot of fighters. You won't have a problem playing with the standard 360 controller. Maybe with the D-Pad, though, since it's total garbage on the 360's controller.  
 
I can't really help here, but I say go for it. as Flux said, you could try the SSFIITHDR demo on XBLA. If it's your thing, then go for it. 

#13 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
Maybe with the D-Pad, though, since it's total garbage on the 360's controller.
Do I HAVE to use the D-Pad, because if so that sucks.
#14 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I play with my Ps3 controller and it's fine, I'm not very good at it, but I can do all of the moves consistantly and I can pull off some combos 
It's basically about practicing, eventually you'll get good at it, also the game is pretty cheap, I got it for 30$, you can probably find it for less

#15 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" @AjayRaz said:
Maybe with the D-Pad, though, since it's total garbage on the 360's controller.
Do I HAVE to use the D-Pad, because if so that sucks. "

Dude no. I much prefer the analogue stick on the 360 controller. Hardcore SF players may deem that insane, but it works.
#16 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" @AjayRaz said:
Maybe with the D-Pad, though, since it's total garbage on the 360's controller.
Do I HAVE to use the D-Pad, because if so that sucks. "
At first, when I use to play on the 360 controller, I was using the D-Pad because that's what everyone seemed to be saying to play with.  But later on, I found myself being much, much better with the left analog stick so I suppose it's personal preference.  The 360's D-Pad is total shit for fighting games, though.
#17 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -
@Rayfield said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @AjayRaz said:
Maybe with the D-Pad, though, since it's total garbage on the 360's controller.
Do I HAVE to use the D-Pad, because if so that sucks. "
Dude no. I much prefer the analogue stick on the 360 controller. Hardcore SF players may deem that insane, but it works. "
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @AjayRaz said:
Maybe with the D-Pad, though, since it's total garbage on the 360's controller.
Do I HAVE to use the D-Pad, because if so that sucks. "
At first, when I use to play on the 360 controller, I was using the D-Pad because that's what everyone seemed to be saying to play with.  But later on, I found myself being much, much better with the left analog stick so I suppose it's personal preference.  The 360's D-Pad is total shit for fighting games, though. "
Phew. People were making it seem as if you had to use the D-Pad, which, if that was the case, I would have just said screw it and pushed this game out of my mind.
#18 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @AjayRaz said:
Maybe with the D-Pad, though, since it's total garbage on the 360's controller.
Do I HAVE to use the D-Pad, because if so that sucks. "
At first, when I use to play on the 360 controller, I was using the D-Pad because that's what everyone seemed to be saying to play with.  But later on, I found myself being much, much better with the left analog stick so I suppose it's personal preference.  The 360's D-Pad is total shit for fighting games, though. "
Yup. Moving from using the PS3's D-Pad to the 360's D-Pad was awful. the 360's D-Pad is awful for fighting games. I switched to the analog stick and I improved greatly.  
 
I don't know, it might be your thing, but I hated using the d-pad. 
#19 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11495 posts) -
@natetodamax: I would say just wait for Super Street Fighter IV to come out before you try to commit yourself to anything, but I'm sure that you could find vanilla SFIV somewhere for $20ish. 
 
I'm in a weird position where I'm not bad at the game, but not good enough to compete with the rest of the GB SFIV community on a serious level (although playing with someone like Stang has definitely helped me get better). Whatever your decision is, I will be willing to play with you.
#20 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" @Rayfield said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @AjayRaz said:
Maybe with the D-Pad, though, since it's total garbage on the 360's controller.
Do I HAVE to use the D-Pad, because if so that sucks. "
Dude no. I much prefer the analogue stick on the 360 controller. Hardcore SF players may deem that insane, but it works. "
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @AjayRaz said:
Maybe with the D-Pad, though, since it's total garbage on the 360's controller.
Do I HAVE to use the D-Pad, because if so that sucks. "
At first, when I use to play on the 360 controller, I was using the D-Pad because that's what everyone seemed to be saying to play with.  But later on, I found myself being much, much better with the left analog stick so I suppose it's personal preference.  The 360's D-Pad is total shit for fighting games, though. "
Phew. People were making it seem as if you had to use the D-Pad, which, if that was the case, I would have just said screw it and pushed this game out of my mind. "

Good. SFIV is probably the most straight up video game fun I had in 2009. The first time I finally beat Seth in Arcade Mode was fist-pumpingly awesome and I usually don't react like that to such things. Plus it's got all the sweet, sweet unlocking stuff aspect going for it too.
#21 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" @natetodamax: I would say just wait for Super Street Fighter IV to come out before you try to commit yourself to anything, but I'm sure that you could find vanilla SFIV somewhere for $20ish.   I'm in a weird position where I'm not bad at the game, but not good enough to compete with the rest of the GB SFIV community on a serious level (although playing with someone like Stang has definitely helped me get better). Whatever your decision is, I will be willing to play with you. "
Thanks!
#22 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" Is there a demo or anything out there that I can try? "
I believe you can get a demo for the PC and I bought the full version online for $15.
#23 Posted by lilarchie232 (728 posts) -
@natetodamax: 
I recently have thought about getting into fighting games as well.  Fighting games are the only genre I've never really given a chance, and they always seemed like an impenitrable genre if you weren't with them from the beginning. 

After seeing that Super Street Fighter IV would be coming out fairly soon and replacing Street Fighter IV because of the updates made, I realized that it'd be kinda pointless to purchase it, despite the fact that SF IV on the hella cheap.
 
So just to get my feet wet in the genre, I went ahead and got Super Street Fighter II: Turbo HD remix on XBLA.  Now, I'm well aware that HD Remix and SF IV are vastly different games, but I figured that this would be a good way just to learn the basics of how Fighting games work.
 
I must say, going into the game blind was very scary (not knowing how to throw a fireball is shameful, I know).  But, I've played the game for about a week know, and I must say I've finally got the just of how things work and could see myself getting into it.
 
Just thought you might be interested in hearing how I went about it.
#24 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@natetodamax: I have used a regular 360 controller with ease. 
 
As for liking the game... sure! I hadn't played a fighting game since killer instinct, because I lost all interest in them, well I did play a little MvC here and there, but not regularly. 
 
Anyways, it is a great game to re-introduce and introduce you into fighting games. 
 
BUY IT.
#25 Posted by PhaggyBigNastyMcKill (564 posts) -

You do know there are other guides on this website even that explains the stuff that the begginner guide didn't

#26 Posted by lordofultima (6213 posts) -
@Symphony said:
" I've never skydived before. Do you think I will like it? I mean, I've flown in planes and even took a tour of the city in a helicopter, but will that affect my opinion of whether or not I like skydiving?  Sorry, I'm being facetious, but that's not exactly something someone else can answer for you -- you'll never know until you try it yourself. I will say that if you jump right into online play with no clue of what you're doing and get your ass handed to you repeatedly, chances are you'll walk away with a sour taste in your mouth. So after getting used to the single player, your best bet is to find a friend (or even someone here on GB) who can help ease you into the online by letting you practice with them and building up confidence. Sure you'll still get your ass handed to you when you jump into fighting strangers most likely, but at least you'll be a lot more prepared and raise your chances of not only winning, but actually enjoying the game.  And the regular controllers are fine (360 at least, dunno about PS3). I HIGHLY recommend sticking with the joystick instead of D-Pad, but then there are people out there who would say the exact opposite. Try both and see which feels better.  If you do get it, hopefully you enjoy it, and I'd be happy to help ya practice if you happen to get the 360 (or PC) version. "
On the contrary, I've never skydived before but I am absolutely sure I would love it.
#27 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" On the contrary, I've never skydived before but I am absolutely sure I would love it. "
Good for you. I'm not sure if I would or not.
#28 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" @natetodamax: I would say just wait for Super Street Fighter IV to come out before you try to commit yourself to anything, but I'm sure that you could find vanilla SFIV somewhere for $20ish.   I'm in a weird position where I'm not bad at the game, but not good enough to compete with the rest of the GB SFIV community on a serious level (although playing with someone like Stang has definitely helped me get better). Whatever your decision is, I will be willing to play with you. "
The skill spread of the GB community is pretty wide; its not like everyone's a pro. So regardless of one's own skill level, they should be able to find at least a handful of people that provide a challenge but won't trounce them.
#29 Posted by JokerClown88 (1051 posts) -
@Symphony said:
" @ArbitraryWater said:
" @natetodamax: I would say just wait for Super Street Fighter IV to come out before you try to commit yourself to anything, but I'm sure that you could find vanilla SFIV somewhere for $20ish.   I'm in a weird position where I'm not bad at the game, but not good enough to compete with the rest of the GB SFIV community on a serious level (although playing with someone like Stang has definitely helped me get better). Whatever your decision is, I will be willing to play with you. "
The skill spread of the GB community is pretty wide; its not like everyone's a pro. So regardless of one's own skill level, they should be able to find at least a handful of people that provide a challenge but won't trounce them. "

It really is a wide skill spread.  I suck eggs at the game.
#30 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Are you ok with losing....a lot? If so, pick it up. Once you get through the initial ass sucking period where you get dominated by everybody, the game can be quite fun. Playing with the 360 controller in completely doable, if you want visual proof go find some of the older matches of Ultima vs WestAB, West was using pad back then and was a monster. Some of us (me) just don't have pristine execution and stick helps in that department. Besides, it is on like $20 now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.