Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Thoroughly Disappointed with FightPad.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

So I drove 16-17 miles last week and bought the last Chun-Li FightPad at GameCrazy, and yesturday my X360 finally came in from repair.

I plugged the pad in, and started testing it out. Here are the results..:

Pros:

• Nice art on faceplate
    •  Wire is nice and long
    • 6 buttons on front
    • Focus cancelling with Sagat in much easier, and I could actually perform his Uppercut -> Focus Cancel -> HK -> Ultra combo very effectively.

Cons:
    • The shoulder buttons are bit stiffer than they should be, need to press in a certain spot in order to be comfortable.
    • D-Pad, although better than the strandard 360's, doesn't work as well as it should. During a heated battle, I try to pull off certain combos fairly quickly, thusly pressing pretty hard on the D-Pad. When this happens I hear tearing/crakling noises coming from it, as if something is breaking inside.
    • 2 out of 5 times my character refuses to jump diagonally. This is really irritating especially when you've got someone cornered but jump straight up instead of forward, leaving you completely open.
    • Doesn't work well with charge characters. Pulling off Balrog's specials/moves/ultra is difficult, although admittedly not impossible.

So, overall, the selling point for the FightPad turns out to be its only major flaw. After 3 hours of forcing myself to like it, I decided to take a break and play with the X360 controller. I thought maybe I was just rusty as hell, maybe it was me not the FightPad.

But, unfortunately, I was playing pretty fiercely and playing like I used to with the xbox controller. Balrog's moves were significantly easier to pull off (although still not as smooth as I'd like).

I know that I probably need to give the FightPad more than 3 hours to get used to, but there is a difference between not being used to the controls and the thing just not working the way it should.

I am pretty disappointed, but I might give it another chance later on.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

Nice way to spend $40. You could have bought two orders of Shamwows, or two sets of Slapchops.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By myke_tuna

There are problems with some fightpads. Over on the Shoryuken forums there is a thread about it. People seem to just return or exchange them. Those that exchanged usually got a working one on the second try. Those that don't get a refund or exchange again until one works. Something about certain directions not working unless under constant, hard pressure or something. I've heard a lot about the diagonals being the main ones that don't work. I say try to exchange it for another Chun-Li pad if you don't get used to it. Might be a bad one. As someone who bought the Standard Edition FightStick from MadCatz, their shit wasn't really top of the line.  The TE stick is the only thing I've heard that really keeps working, but even then I've been reading about some button sticking issues on that too, not because of the Sanwa buttons that come with it, but because of the PCB inside. Anyway, wow this post is long.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Thanks for the heads up. Still don't know if I'll get a proper fightstick or this or maybe dare to stick with a 360 controller.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ParanoidFreak

At least it must be better than a 360 controller. I've been waiting for the Mad Catz stick in Canada for months and I'm stuck with the controller.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    ParanoidFreak said:
    "At least it must be better than a 360 controller. I've been waiting for the Mad Catz stick in Canada for months and I'm stuck with the controller."
    Well, I don't know how well you play or anything, but I think play very aggressively with my X360 pad. I have gotten so used to it that I know how long certain moves take to play out, and how the timing works with various buttons.

I think I am just going to stick with the regular controller. I just wanted to try out the FightPad in order to truly know if I was missing out or not....and in this case I'm not.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By c1337us

I was in the same situation. I am not a super player, though I go alright, and I was playing with a regular controller. I spent the money hoping it would make it more enjoyable for the game play and easier to pull off moves etc only to find myself going back to a regular controller and doing much better. Since then the other one I bought (which I must have got about 4-5 hours time out of) has been sitting on my bench collecting dust. I only keeo it their in case family or friend prefers it.

Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Farley_Lives
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    ...but I think play very aggressively with my X360 pad. I have gotten so used to it that I know how long certain moves take to play out, and how the timing works with various buttons.
    I think that's what happened with your situation. My personal experience with the fight pad has been very positive, and I could see a lot of your issues with fight-pad may be with you still getting use to it. I made my switch over very early on and I can say, even then, it had taken me a while to get use to it before I liked it. I would say keep practicing with it, give it a week or so to get familiar with it. It is a different controller and your hands need  to relearn how much your thumb has to move to regain a muscle memory.  To me it's a real nice controller worth the asking price, but it's not the best that's out there. Ether way I hope your story has a happy ending.
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

**Update**

Well, I decided to give it another chance today, and, for some odd reason, this thing is working (near) perfectly now!

I can pull off Balrog's moves very well and I'm almost as good with Sagat with the FightPad as I am with the X360 controller. This was very surprising, especially since jumping diagonally works 80% of the time now.

I don't know whether the Street fighter gods came into my room last night and switched controllers, or I finally adjusted to the controls, but either way: fuck YES.

Sorry to everyone for all the mixed reactions, I honestly don't know why it is working so well all of the sudden oO

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By carlthenimrod

Maybe you just needed to break it in. When I first started using an arcade stick I couldn't throw a friggin' fireball. Took a while for me to get used to it.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By ImperiousRix

I'm glad to hear your problems are subsiding.  I imagine it takes a brief transition period, but I'm certain that you'll be better off with a Fightpad than a standard 360 controller.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By CL60
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    "**Update**

Well, I decided to give it another chance today, and, for some odd reason, this thing is working (near) perfectly now!

I can pull off Balrog's moves very well and I'm almost as good with Sagat with the FightPad as I am with the X360 controller. This was very surprising, especially since jumping diagonally works 80% of the time now.

I don't know whether the Street fighter gods came into my room last night and switched controllers, or I finally adjusted to the controls, but either way: fuck YES.

Sorry to everyone for all the mixed reactions, I honestly don't know why it is working so well all of the sudden oO"
    :( should have just sent to it me before trying it again.
    slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By slinky6
    Vinchenzo said:
    "Nice way to spend $40. You could have bought two orders of Shamwows, or two sets of Slapchops."
    You're going to love my nuts.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By keyhunter

I'm still getting 20 win streaks in Ranked with Zangief on a normal 360 controller. I'd like to see how much damage I could do with some sort of made for fighting game peripheral.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sfighter21

Haha, I thought I was the only one that didn't enjoy my fightpad.  It feels very uncomfortable to me...

waxdart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By waxdart
    keyhunter said:
    "I'm still getting 20 win streaks in Ranked with Zangief on a normal 360 controller. I'd like to see how much damage I could do with some sort of made for fighting game peripheral."
    To be fair, the PPP/KKK shoulder buttons are pretty similar between the two controllers, so you probably wouldn't notice much difference. </snark>
    Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Only usable to the hard-core virgins-- players i mean

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By bagmanforhire
    Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mercator

I LOVE mine and I have 2 friends who bought and have loved theirs.

I am glad to hear its working for you now...I use Honda and can time his Ultra near perfect with the fightpad.

I am considering getting a stick but being a person whom has played street fighter on pads my entire life it would be quite a chore to learn a stick.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By toowalrus

I've got the fightpad and the 360 controller. I'd gotten used to the analog stick on the controller, so my Fightpad is gathering dust.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakob187

And you know what?  The Fightpad is disappointed in you, too.  = D

Seriously, though...my roommate got one of the Blanka ones.  I hate it.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By JoelTGM
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    "So I drove 16-17 miles last week and bought the last Chun-Li FightPad at GameCrazy, and yesturday my X360 finally came in from repair.

I plugged the pad in, and started testing it out. Here are the results..:

Pros:
    • Nice art on faceplate
    •  Wire is nice and long
    • 6 buttons on front
    • Focus cancelling with Sagat in much easier, and I could actually perform his Uppercut -> Focus Cancel -> HK -> Ultra combo very effectively.

Cons:
    • The shoulder buttons are bit stiffer than they should be, need to press in a certain spot in order to be comfortable.
    • D-Pad, although better than the strandard 360's, doesn't work as well as it should. During a heated battle, I try to pull off certain combos fairly quickly, thusly pressing pretty hard on the D-Pad. When this happens I hear tearing/crakling noises coming from it, as if something is breaking inside.
    • 2 out of 5 times my character refuses to jump diagonally. This is really irritating especially when you've got someone cornered but jump straight up instead of forward, leaving you completely open.
    • Doesn't work well with charge characters. Pulling off Balrog's specials/moves/ultra is difficult, although admittedly not impossible.

So, overall, the selling point for the FightPad turns out to be its only major flaw. After 3 hours of forcing myself to like it, I decided to take a break and play with the X360 controller. I thought maybe I was just rusty as hell, maybe it was me not the FightPad.

But, unfortunately, I was playing pretty fiercely and playing like I used to with the xbox controller. Balrog's moves were significantly easier to pull off (although still not as smooth as I'd like).

I know that I probably need to give the FightPad more than 3 hours to get used to, but there is a difference between not being used to the controls and the thing just not working the way it should.I am pretty disappointed, but I might give it another chance later on."

Well if you didn't want to play with a D-Pad why did you buy one?
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "Well if you didn't want to play with a D-Pad why did you buy one?"
    ..did you even read my post? The D-Pad wasn't working properly at first, I never said I didn't want or didn't like D-Pads.
    Avatar image for adamantiumfiend
    adamantiumfiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By adamantiumfiend

the fight pad does seem to take some getting used to.  but now that i am accustomed to it, ultras seem much more natural and easy to pull off.  :)

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By CL60
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    "DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "Well if you didn't want to play with a D-Pad why did you buy one?"
    ..did you even read my post? The D-Pad wasn't working properly at first, I never said I didn't want or didn't like D-Pads. "
    I think a lot of people have completely missed your second post saying it seems better now lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.