Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Time to hang up the gloves?

• 55 results
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Pessh

So I've been playing on and off for a few months, switched characters a few times due to the lack of progress, played a decent amount online, and have always enjoyed it despite losing almost every match I play. Now I'm contemplating just giving up and not even bothering with Super which I was previously really looking forward to. I came into it fully expecting to get my ass beat, which has happened...a lot, and I wouldn't mind that if I was making progress but I honestly don't think I am. It doesn't help that most of people who play are assholes, and the extreme difficulty in finding a game. Only dudes from here I've managed to play are Geteveryone and Mubress which was cool, they tried to help me a bit. Dunno, probably just my time of the month...

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By napalm
    @Pessh: 

1. What characters are you playing with the most?

2. Are you opting to join existing games or starting your own room?

3. What controller are you playing on? (curiosity)
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By bed

well i certainly got my ass beat in SF several times until i started improving.

..then again, i learned from Symphony and jlrm01 so maybe it was them.  

you can't be playing as bad as me though. my online win percentage is 19% - 20% :P 

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pessh
    @Napalm: 

1. At first Abel, but for the last month (at least) I've been playing Rog. Played more Rog, and I'm more comfortable with him. Tried out other dudes too but wasn't feeling them. Spent a little time on Sagat and Ryu. 

2. I'll host sometimes against dudes from GB, just join games when I'm playing randoms though.

3. Dualshock 3, thought about a stick but they're ridiculously overpriced here, and sucking with the stick at first would drive me crazy, just how I am. I'm pretty comfortable with the pad, can execute most of my shiz like headbutt into ultra
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pessh
    @AjayRaz: We played the other day and I'm pretty sure you pwned me
    newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By newmarcom

If you can convince one friend to join you on your road to EVO, I'm sure you can find that Street Fighter spark again.

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gambit

There are quite a few people on here that would be happy to give you advice and play. All you have to do is ask. As for you lack of progress its all a matter of how much time and practice you put in as with everything else in life.  You can't make strides in this game playing off and on I know that first hand. For about the first 6 months or so after this game came out I use to could hang with most everyone on here, but between me taking time off playing other games and trying to learn to play stick I get my ass handed to me by pretty much everyone .

Which is frustrating sometimes but all I gotta do is keep at it and i'll get better again. As for the assholes in this game most of the randoms I play don't even talk and I really haven't even gotton much hate mail lately ( but that could just be due to my drop in skill level and me losing more often), I find far more trash talking and assholes in MW2 then in SFIV. As for not finding game I don't know how long its been since you played but I haven't had much of a problem with that in a while. Between championship mode and the GB match setup thread finding people to play shouldnt be all to hard.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bed
    @Pessh said:
    " @AjayRaz: We played the other day and I'm pretty sure you pwned me "
    er.. oh. right.  

street fighter is for sure frustrating when things don't go your way (i must of ragequit 3-4 times today) but if you enjoy the game, there's no reason to stop playing. you said it yourself that despite losing a lot you still find the game enjoyable. it's pretty much the same for me. i get my ass beat in tons of matches but that's how it is in every fighting game except DoA, heheh.  

well.. i have nothing to say that will help but all i can say is that you can quit playing if you want to, but don't quit what you enjoy :P 
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pessh
    @newmarcom: lol

@Gambit: I'm on PS3 and seems like there's only two other dudes who check the thread, everyone else plays 360. Might try and record some of my awfulness and get some feedback, Thanks though,

@AjayRaz: I'm pretty good at SC, unfortunately none of those skills seem to carry over into SF
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bed
    @Pessh said: 
    @AjayRaz: I'm pretty good at SC, unfortunately none of those skills seem to carry over into SF "
    of course not as i find SC to be much slower than SF.  

skills from tekken and DOA don't exactly translate well into SF either.. 
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By napalm
    @Pessh said:
    " @Napalm:   1. At first Abel, but for the last month (at least) I've been playing Rog. Played more Rog, and I'm more comfortable with him. Tried out other dudes too but wasn't feeling them. Spent a little time on Sagat and Ryu.   2. I'll host sometimes against dudes from GB, just join games when I'm playing randoms though.  3. Dualshock 3, thought about a stick but they're ridiculously overpriced here, and sucking with the stick at first would drive me crazy, just how I am. I'm pretty comfortable with the pad, can execute most of my shiz like headbutt into ultra "
    I ask for this simple response:

1. If you're comfortable with Balrog, play him more and watch pro videos of top players using him. It's easy to hit a wall with SFIV and plateau for awhile. I was like that too. When I started using Guile I was all about Sonic Booms, failed anti air Flash Kicks and j.FK > c.FK. One day man, I just watched some pro videos of people, and I started learning more about zoning, target combos, proper anti airs and Guile's one frame link combos. It took me awhile to improve even the slightest, but I eventually started getting better. You need to constantly be challenging yourself to get better. If you don't you will plateau and get bored, as I got early on.

Also, don't try to change multiple things at once. Do baby steps. The first thing I committed to doing was using Guile's c.FP as an anti air instead of reverting to a Flash Kick and having it get stuffed every time. I then learned more about basic zoning normals, Guile's c.MK, c.MP and his two standing fierce punch attacks. I started learning more about how to use a Sonic Boom to zone players and to apply pressure with fierce normal attacks. I've improve in these areas in six or seven months that I have been playing, but I've also played at least 50% less than guys like Stang and Ultima who have 400+ hours dedicated to the game. That's not to say I am a quick learner because I am not, but this game requires patience and it requires repetition to get used to new attacks and new ways of doing things.

2. Host games with randoms. Joining randoms is a pain in the ass, but if you host, you will get a lot more games. Also, don't play people unless they have at least three bars, or two as long as it doesn't go down to one bar, ever.

3. If you don't want to use a FightStick, use a FightPad. It's the same basic principle as using an analog stick, but it is a lot more precise and flexible for attacks, and it's way more comfortable in your hands. A FightPad is guaranteed to improve your game no matter what. I've been able to use Sonic Booms and pull off Ultra and Super attacks more quickly and successfully than I would ever be able to with the crappy Xbox 360 controller.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pessh
    @Napalm: Did get a madcatz pad a while back but it broke after five minutes out of the box. Thanks.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lilbigsupermario

keep playing! i suck at SF4 too, but I still have fun even if I lose a lot and swear a lot hehe! :) I play SF4 in PS3 too, so if you want to play, add me up :) 

PSN ID: ogaitnas_nj

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pessh
    @lilbigsupermario: Nice one dude, I'll add you next time I'm on.
    misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By misterpope

It all comes down to experience. I've played for a couple hours per day for a few months now and the improvements have been slight, but I am improving. 

But man, it's pretty awesome and satisfying when you finally win matches against people. Yeah. Rog's pretty cool by the way, and I would recommend a fight pad. 

And hosting games. That's good too. Good luck to you man.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By napalm
    @Pessh: Not sure how. I've had mine for three months and it's worked fine.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pessh
    @Napalm: Think it was to do with the wireless shiz. 

Anyone know if 360/PC pads work on the PS3?
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Illmatic

Yeah, I considered hanging up the gloves a while back too but for a different reason. I played Sagat ever since I first played Street Fighter 2 at my neighbor's house. Coming into 4, I expected to just transfer over to him with no problem. The problem didn't arise from skill but from player reactions. Once it was realized Sagat was a somewhat overpowered monster, players who were beaten by me would call me things over Xbox Live messaging that conveniently rhymed with Sagat while those who did manage to beat me wouldn't waste the opportunity to let me know how much I deserved to be beaten. This has led to me trying out other characters, which did end up being a good thing as Sagat is not the only character I can hold my own with now but the nerfs to Sagat in Super actually have me excited. Anything that'll show that I'm not just exploiting the "best" character in the game is welcome. 

As for skill, I know people say the trials aren't too helpful and that many of these moves are made even more difficult to pull off over the wildcard that is the internet, but I learned some basic combos and links with different characters using trials. Attempting the trials over and over for hours ingrained button combos into my brain that I pull out without much thought. Again, I"m not an expert at the game either. I get my ass beat plenty of times but I'm definitely not the same scrub I was when I first popped the game in.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By napalm
    @Pessh: FightPad ain't wireless bro. No idea what controller you were using.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pessh
    @Napalm: PS3 ones are
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napalm
    @Pessh said:
    " @Napalm: PS3 ones are "
    They should sell wired ones for both consoles. Get those instead. They are 100% reliable.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pessh

I will if someone knows whether or not it would work

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By napalm
    @Pessh said:
    " I will if someone knows whether or not it would work "
    Did I not just say wired ones are fine and 100% reliable?
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pessh
    @Napalm said:
    " @Pessh said:
    Did I not just say wired ones are fine and 100% reliable? "
    I meant whether a 360/PC one would work with a PS3
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm
    @Pessh said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " @Pessh said:
    Did I not just say wired ones are fine and 100% reliable? "
    I meant whether a 360/PC one would work with a PS3 "
    No. PS3 - PS3. Xbox 360 - 360, PC.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pessh

Can't get wired then, thanks anyway

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By napalm
    @Pessh: And why not?
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pessh
    @Napalm: PS3 pads are all wireless
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By napalm
    @Pessh said:
    " @Napalm: PS3 pads are all wireless "
    Ooh. I just Googled that fro confirmation. That's kind of messed up. I think they should be wired anyway so there aren't any connectivity issues.
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Keeng

I'm on PS3. I play whenever I can. I'm all in.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By killroycantkill
    @Pessh:  Man I got you on my PS3 friends list. If you ever want to play send me an invite. I'm not that good but I would say I'm decent. Maybe I'll show you a few combos.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Pessh: I would be totally interested in how you have improved since you "mained" abel by doing a lot of sweeps against me way back then. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pessh, I think (like Napalm or whoever said), hit up the trials to learn some of his basics, then watch a few pro-videos to see how these things are implemented. A couple of hours in training should set you straight as to links etc, and then from there its all feel and experience. I might be on this afternoon if you want to play. 

@Killroycantkill: Couple of PS3 players I never noticed before. Get on over to the tournament thread

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SamStrife

Pessh mate...don't give up. And defo get super. 

I'm glad you're on the PS3, it means i cn help you...although I'm, not a 'Rog player I know how to utilise charge charecteres so if you ever need any help, I have no problem slapping on My Mic, jumping into a game with you seeing where you can improve. 

My PSN Name is SamStrife...add me and I'll help.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Scooper

Get someone who's at your skill level and has a mic (makes discussing what each other's doing wrong ect. and makes the matches much less boring as they go on) and just play alot of matches. There's this one dude I've been playing SFIV and HDR with lately and I've gotten much much better execution then I had before I played him. We both keep playing super fast and high octane matches mostly with Akuma mirrors and Seth mirrors and things like that and just experiement alot of stuff and some of it works and it really wierd. I swear when I play this dude I see at least 1 new thing I've never seen before and I'm like "whaaaaat!?" It's funny and cool. And I met him in a random player match and he just happens to be aout my skill level, talk on mic and uses the exact same characters as me (Akuma, Gouken, Cammy, Seth and Ryu) but we also play a couple other charcters at basic level which mixes it up a bit.

Also watch some matches and look up some guides so you make sure you're not always doing the same combos and same mixups ect.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Scooper: Mix-ups just don't work online :( Too many mashers.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pessh
    @Keeng: What's your PSN?
     @Killroycantkill: okie dokie
     @StaticFalconar: Alright but conn. will probably suck
     @SamStrife: I'll add you now
     @GetEveryone: Do that already which makes the lack of improvment even worse. Should be on in a bit though

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By AndrewJD
    @Pessh: Don't give up!!!

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SamStrife
    @Pessh:   Awesome stuff, may not be on till the weekend, I need to go collect my PS3 from a mates, but as soon as you're online at the same time just fire me off a message and I'll see how I can help you.
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By Keeng
    @Pessh: My PSN ID is Keeng. I'm finally sending my PS3 off to get it fixed by Sony today so I probably won't be back until after SSFIV is out, unfortunately.
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#41  Edited By VicRattlehead

dont give up dude... i see you online the odd time we should play

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CharlieTuna

I'm actually going to go against what people are saying here and say that if you're not having fun, you should stop playing. I think it really helps though if you have local friends to play with, that's what keeps me coming back to Street Fighter. But forcing yourself to like a game is stupid.

I'm way more casual than most people on these boards though if you want to fight someone, check my profile for the gamertag (some name on PSN).

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pessh
    @VicRattlehead: Yeah that'd be good

@Killroycantkill: Thanks for the inv earlier, feeling much better about super now.
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By killroycantkill
    @Pessh:  No problemo, it was fun. The last round I won with Gouken I still don't understand how I hit you while you were in the air behind me and I was low punching. Saw you were trying to do jab's to sweep link. That link is crazy hard. I've done it ONCE and thats it lol. Hopefully once I get my stick ready I'll face you again, should be setting it up tmr.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By yakov456

Seems to be like any competitive online game, those who play and practice hardcore seem to rise above the rest. The casual gamer (myself included) is left confused, frustrated, and deflated after a gaming session with said people. It also seems like a lot of those people have an inflated ego and a sense of entitlement. I have not played this game online, but I can imagine the experience.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By Stang
    @yakov456 said:
    " Seems to be like any competitive online game, those who play and practice hardcore seem to rise above the rest. The casual gamer (myself included) is left confused, frustrated, and deflated after a gaming session with said people. It also seems like a lot of those people have an inflated ego and a sense of entitlement. I have not played this game online, but I can imagine the experience. "
    I don't appreciate you talking about me like that. Not cool.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By lordofultima
    @yakov456 said:
    " Seems to be like any competitive online game, those who play and practice hardcore seem to rise above the rest. The casual gamer (myself included) is left confused, frustrated, and deflated after a gaming session with said people. It also seems like a lot of those people have an inflated ego and a sense of entitlement. I have not played this game online, but I can imagine the experience. "
    Do not play competitive games if you don't want competition. Problem solved.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By yakov456
    @lordofultima said:
    " @yakov456 said:
    Do not play competitive games if you don't want competition. Problem solved. "
    The problem is not with competition, it's with matching players of equal skill.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By lordofultima
    @yakov456 said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @yakov456 said:
    Do not play competitive games if you don't want competition. Problem solved. "
    The problem is not with competition, it's with matching players of equal skill. "
    No arguments with that, I guess. But at some point you want to fight people better than you, so you can get better. It's very difficult to rate skill based on some online statistics as well.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @yakov456 said:
    No, I've met many a scrub spammers that catches me off guard for a game and they still message me about how big their e cock is for beating me that one time thinking they are naturally good at the game.  

Even when two hardcore gamers face each other, there is only going to be one winner so the other one would still be left frustrated, deflated (but not necessarily confused since they are hardcore enough to know why they lost) regardless. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.