Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

TRIALS help!

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By bed

hello all you crazy bastards! i'm AjayRaz if none of you knew me! I'm having a bit of trouble doing Sakura's trials on SF IV. could anyone care to give me a tip or two on my inconvenience?  

I'm on NORMAL - third trial right now. now let me just go off and say that i'm not good at SF IV. I don't know much about anything, so i assume this would be a normal problem for someone like me. 

anyway, i'm on the third trial and I can't seem to pass the first challenge. it tells me to do Medium Punch + Hadoken. after I do the medium punch, it just resets the combo. I'm not sure what it's asking me to do because doing the medium punch gives me no time to do my hadoken, therefore reseting the combo :(.  i assume i'm too slow, but Dan likes to block my hadoken too. hmm.. 

when i'm in the trials menu, it says it helps me with my canceling. mind if I ask what the hell canceling is? it gives me no help on what canceling is, or how I do it. I tried looking online for some help, but that didn't do me any good :\.  maybe i'm looking too deep into this. 

so my questions are:  

• what's canceling, and how do I do it? 
    • how exactly can I complete this challenge? may god help me if there's something like this later on.

please go easy on me.. i'm not really a SFIV fanatic, so i have no idea what they're going on about.  

thank you ^^. 
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Stang

Canceling is simply when you do a normal move and instantaneously do a special move after. For instance, with Ken, I can do a crouching fierce and cancel it into hadouken, srk or tatsu.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bed
    @Stang: ah, I knew i was looking into it too deep.. it seems to be a personal problem then, since when I do a medium punch into hadouken, it doesn't really do it fast enough no matter how fast i do it. i assume i'll get it eventually? 
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Stang
    @AjayRaz: Yeah, just keep practicing. For the medium punch xx hadouken (xx means cancel), begin the quarter circle motion as soon as you hit medium punch. Once the animation is near complete for the medium punch, hit what ever punch the game asks you to hit and you will get your hadouken.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @AjayRaz said:

" @Stang: ah, I knew i was looking into it too deep.. it seems to be a personal problem then, since when I do a medium punch into hadouken, it doesn't really do it fast enough no matter how fast i do it. i assume i'll get it eventually?  "

It is a timing thing. It takes a little practice at first. :)
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fwylo

Whats srk stand for?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @fwylo: Shoryuken.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stang
    @fwylo: Shoryuken

@AjayRaz: Just to make sure, you don't mean fadc right, like I am doing at 1:31? 

jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By jaycee13
    @AjayRaz: for that trial just hold medium punch instead of pressing it twice.
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bed
    @Stang: not that I know of.. it just tells me to do a medium punch + hadouken. timing isn't my thing so this is a bitch right now. 
    jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jaycee13
    @AjayRaz:  are you doing it close so its an elbow and not a punch?
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bed
    @jaycee13: yeah. is that a problem? i've been wondering that :\ 
    jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jaycee13
    @AjayRaz: no thats the way to do it. just keep the stick/thumbstick in the centre, hold y then do a quarter circle forward as fast as you can. took me a while my first time too.
    edit: forgot to say let go of y once you finish the motion
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By napalm
    @Stang: Oh, you self promoting son of a bitch!

"HAI DID YOU MEAN THIS SUPER AWESOME FADC MOVE YOU SEE ME PULLING OFF AMAZINGLY HERE?!"

And to stay on topic (lol), yes, you begin the motion for the Special move as soon as you hit the button for the punch. You have to do it very fast in order for it to connect properly.
    Pixelzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pixelzombie

Something that might help with understanding the timing:

Hit the training mode, choose Ryu, and try to do crouching medium kick into hadouken. It's basically the same as the trial you are doing, but since you start off crouching, the quarter circle forward motion can be done quicker - you can actually begin the QCF motion a little in advance, before you even do the medium kick, but it isn't necessary. It should be easier to experiment with different speeds that way, and gain a feel for the timing. It's also a nice move to be able to do by muscle memory if you play shoto characters :)

If you get a "2 hit combo!" on the screen, you've done it right.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By DanielJW

Dude... I'm trying to learn Street Fighter and this entire thread reads like gibberish to me.

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fRAWRst

the giantbomb street fighter 4 begginers guide has a video on how to cancel, i find that a pretty good way to show you atleast what your hands should be doing

http://www.giantbomb.com/street-fighter-iv/61-20456/giant-bombs-street-fighter-iv-beginners-guide/35-232950/

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Plasma
    @AjayRaz:
    People are being too complex. 

What you need to know is you don't have to wait for the punch to finish. 

You CANCEL it before it ends, so the Hadoken hits before Dan can block. If you watch the punch, after she does it she takes a small amount of time to return to normal stance, you cancel that happening by doing a Hadoken. This then combos, and your well on your way to learning the basics of Street Fighter. 

I remember thinking exactly the same as you, but I had to do trial and error trying to copy Youtube videos back with 3rd Strike. Hope this helps.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stang
    @Napalm: He didn't know what normal canceling was, so I was not quite sure if he was going on about an fadc or just typical blah xx blah. Don't hate son.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By napalm
    @Stang: I'm just busting your balls, dude!
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By NinjaHunter

Also remember that sakura's fireball can be charged so you have to just tap the button. If you hold it she'll start charging and you'll miss your window.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Stang
    @Napalm: I know. Im just moody today. Think I am on my man period. Who knows :\
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bed
    @NinjaHunter said:
    " Also remember that sakura's fireball can be charged so you have to just tap the button. If you hold it she'll start charging and you'll miss your window. "
    yeah, it's hard not to charge it since I always do in a match.. hehe.  

thank you for the help everybody! you guys are helpful :). I'm still having difficulty, but i'll try what everyone said and i'll get it eventually! also, thanks for not.. being harsh since i didn't know the basics of canceling :) 
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Stang
    @AjayRaz said:
    " @NinjaHunter said:
    " Also remember that sakura's fireball can be charged so you have to just tap the button. If you hold it she'll start charging and you'll miss your window. "
    yeah, it's hard not to charge it since I always do in a match.. hehe.   thank you for the help everybody! you guys are helpful :). I'm still having difficulty, but i'll try what everyone said and i'll get it eventually! also, thanks for not.. being harsh since i didn't know the basics of canceling :)  "
    This isn't srk, we are not elitist assholes who will make fun of you for trying to learn. Well...I am, but that is beside the point.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm
    @Stang: You should probably stay off the forums for the night before you say something you regret! :p
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Stang
    @Napalm:I regret every post I make, including this one.

Stop with the bold GB, it is getting old.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.