Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Warming up to the evil of SF4

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sunjammer

Being a obsessive compulsive completist, i've been gritting my teeth through the experience of sucking at Street fighter 4, to the point where i now feel like i genuinely suck less. And that is pretty awesome in itself.

I guess i've become used to being cuddled by games. SF4 does not at any moment make you feel cool unless you make an effort to that end; This is as far from a button masher as you can get. Spending hours trying to perfect guile's low light kick-light punch-medium punch-flash kick combo is an exercise i wouldn't normally call fun. And it really isn't. What is fun is landing it in a fight.

This balance between ardous, painful practise of systems that sometimes feel difficult just to spite you, and the glorious sensation of actually learning a new skill and successfully applying it, is what i guess is what keeps people coming back again and again. But it's also, i expect, a huge detractor for beginners; I at least knew how to play Guile alright beforehand. Coming into this not even really knowing how a charge move works and how you can charge midair or mid-move, and meeting this brick wall of a game that assumes you DO know, it has got to be a profoundly painful experience.

I'm having a lot of fun mastering Guile. Even learning to enjoy pulling off his super after i realized cancelling out of a flash kick into it is actually easier than pulling it off clean.
    I had an awesome match against an E.Honda player who would consistently try to jump in to start combos, who i would simply airthrow the hell back down again and again. It put the fear in him so obviously it totally broke his style, and it was awesome to watch him try to revert back to moves he hadn't practised. That's what SF is about really; competition and fucked up psychology. I'm loving it. Though i really need a fightpad.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sunjammer

Being a obsessive compulsive completist, i've been gritting my teeth through the experience of sucking at Street fighter 4, to the point where i now feel like i genuinely suck less. And that is pretty awesome in itself.

I guess i've become used to being cuddled by games. SF4 does not at any moment make you feel cool unless you make an effort to that end; This is as far from a button masher as you can get. Spending hours trying to perfect guile's low light kick-light punch-medium punch-flash kick combo is an exercise i wouldn't normally call fun. And it really isn't. What is fun is landing it in a fight.

This balance between ardous, painful practise of systems that sometimes feel difficult just to spite you, and the glorious sensation of actually learning a new skill and successfully applying it, is what i guess is what keeps people coming back again and again. But it's also, i expect, a huge detractor for beginners; I at least knew how to play Guile alright beforehand. Coming into this not even really knowing how a charge move works and how you can charge midair or mid-move, and meeting this brick wall of a game that assumes you DO know, it has got to be a profoundly painful experience.

I'm having a lot of fun mastering Guile. Even learning to enjoy pulling off his super after i realized cancelling out of a flash kick into it is actually easier than pulling it off clean.
    I had an awesome match against an E.Honda player who would consistently try to jump in to start combos, who i would simply airthrow the hell back down again and again. It put the fear in him so obviously it totally broke his style, and it was awesome to watch him try to revert back to moves he hadn't practised. That's what SF is about really; competition and fucked up psychology. I'm loving it. Though i really need a fightpad.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PureRok

Yea. I fought a turtling Guile with my Cammy and I wasn't used to fighting turtlers. Since I'm more of an aggressive player, I got completely smashed in the first round. I managed to adjust and use guerrilla tactics and force the Guile player to do something (managed to tick his life down just low enough that I'd win in a time out). This was drastically different to how I usually play and was quite an exilarating experience.

That's a nice thing about this game: learning how to adapt to how the other guy plays.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sunjammer

I try not to play Guile defensively though.. It's tempting to back off and sonic boom over and over and use a diagonal back charge so you can break out a flash kick if the other guy jumps close enough, but since the really powerful stuff Guile does appears to be his standard moves in combos the result is it just doesn't seem to be a viable strategy, more a tactic against grapplers. It's like playing Dawn of War or any other game with emphasis on controlling points on a map really, if you settle into a defense the other guy is in charge of the situation and you're just reacting.

The really fun thing is that i haven't even started working Focus attacks into my style yet. I'll use them against other Guile players if they low heavy kick me (which is such a ridiculously punishable move), and i'd rather use the super bar for cancelling out of a flashkick with a focus attack->dash than save it up for a super combo. But remembering that stuff is an option for me isn't something i'm used to yet.

Speaking of Cammy, i keep fearing an airthrow after a blocked flash kick when i play against her. To the point where i'll rarely if ever do flash kicks unless they're out of a combo

I love this game. Sigh :-)

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By turbomonkey138

i like to play balrog only problem with him is its hard to get in close to people becuase his moves are really obvious

MikeyZeroG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MikeyZeroG

I'm with you on mastering Guile.  As I get up there in Battle Points (I reached over 3200 yesterday, but then started to sink again), I'm playing against really good fighters.  Yesterday I got beat by Cammy, Balrog, and Zangief -- all characters who I had previously had easy times with. 

Cammy's moves, when blocked are really punishable.  Her spinning backhand move is rarely effective.  But yesterday every time I'd take a jump back she'd get me with her rising kick move -- I had no idea the move had such horizontal range.  That was a close fight, but she got me with ultra chip damage. 

Against Zangief, I play very defensive.  I back-up, throw a slow fireball, and if he spins, I jump in with a hard kick and follow-up with a low hard kick.  I can anticipate the green fist and also seem to just get him with a few crouching light punches when he does it. 

Whenever Balrog comes in with a charge attack, I immediately flashkick.  I have no idea how that last Balrog player beat me. 

Sunjammer, I'd love to compare notes on Guile.  I haven't been encorporating dash cancels into my Guile -- I can't think of obvious scenarios where they're useful, unlike, say, Ken.  I also rarely use my super -- I'm always using my meter on my special moves. 

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ImperiousRix

I was in a REAL rut lately; I mean I lost almost ALL of my damn BP's and was almost tempted to just stop playing and pick up a new game to get my mind off it.
    However, I decided to stop pussy-footing around and actually get a bit serious.  I'd become so complacent in my playstyle that I forgot how to play the damn game efficiently.  So today, with only about 500 BPs starting out the day, I developed a turtling-style Chun Li along with my hit-and-run Vega and wrecked some guys online.  I seem to be pretty streaky, but the point is... you constantly have to be actively adapting to strategies and it honestly can be pretty exhausting sometimes.
    But oh... how satisfying each victory is.  At the end of the day today, I'm sitting pretty on over 1300 BPs, with renewed vigor for more fighting tomorrow.
    Damn you, Street Fighter IV... you're beautiful.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By turbomonkey138

guile kicks my ass both when i fight agaisnt him and when i try use him . I respect you for using him :)

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.