Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Where to start learning?

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MisterMollusk

So I've never played a Street Fighter game in my life (ok, so I rented SF2 when I was six and all hadokens were on accident). Where should I start to really learn the mechanics of the game? And what should I practice to become competitive online? To me it seems the only way is to just jump in headfirst and keep playing, but I was wondering if any of the veterans had some healthy advice to make it easier for the newbs among us.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Although I am only half-decent in SFIIHDR, all I can say is just practice practice practice. It's like playing a guitar (which I ironically just started to). I sucked pretty bad last week, but now my fingers have grown accustom to the strings and I can actually play some tunes.

How this relates to your thread you ask? It doesn't :P

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Pepsiman

Yeah, the best way to practice is to just go in and keep on trying. Personally, I try to learn the moves of one character (or more if there are some who play pretty similarly) and then once I know them down pat just experiment with situations to see whether they work in such a scenario or not. It doesn't necessarily get you to the level of a pro at that rate, but it can get you on the path to being accustomed to some of the more subtle nuances, at least.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

Umm...the practice mode?  Maybe?

Seriously, though...you just gotta play it...a lot.
    MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MisterMollusk

yeah i here ya. i see this prima guide on amazon that says it'll teach you some of the complexities of the game. can anyone comment on that?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By PureRok

Just play the mode that teaches you all of the combos and moves for your character. You don't need a guide (and if you do... the internet is free after your ISP).

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dipstick

http://operationsurvive.com/think-like-a-professional-street-fighter-4-player/

Great list of resources

Darklyte510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Darklyte510

I think that at first, you should test out which character(s) you like playing in the training mode. Once you've done that, I'm jump into the Trial mode and learn a few combos just to get the feel of how to perform them.

After that, I'd start by mixing it up by playing against some friends who are at the same level as you. Once you grasp the main concepts and think you're getting good, jump online, get humbled (I speak from experience here lol) and then keep on plugging :). I think that when you first get online, the most important part is playing against 'cheap players' and thinking of ways to counter them.

I dunno if that'll help but that's how I did it, and it's worked out pretty well for me. I was really, REALLY terrible when I first got the game but now I manage to win about 1 out of every 4 or 5 matches online which is a huge improvement for me lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.