Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Why do the Character's Give Away their Attacks?

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I mean, think about it. Would anyone in a real life fight yell "PUNCH!!" "KICK!!" or "CROTCHSHOT" before actually doing their attack?

This seems pretty silly to me, as well as annoying. Hearing "TIGER TIGER TIGER" as I try to do my combos pisses me off after about 2 minutes of play. And all of the "HADOUKEN!" or, god forbid, the endless "SHORYUKEN!!1!1!" don't help either.

And it's not like hearing the attacks are really beneficial to the opposing player. I don't really pay attention to what the character's say, just the actions that are performed on screen.  And the said commands aren't ahead of the actual actions, they're executed at the same time (well, except for the Ultra's, but you can tell when an Ultra is coming).

Anyone else agree, or am I just hitting the sauce too much again?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

2 much sauce. They're not really giving it away as they yell it right as they do it, you can see the animation anyway. And it's just the SF trademark. They don't yell @ every kick and punch do they? They tend to leave it for more special stuffs. Don't spam hadokens peoples, it's lame!

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Gambit

Thats just street fighter tradition. If I started playing a street fighter and didn't hear hadouken and shoryuken I would be pissed just wouldn't be the same.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By keyhunter

That's what Japanese people do. It's impolite to do something without asking, or telling their adversary beforehand.

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gambit

I don't know if its so much that but the fact that if I could shoot fireballs out of my hands I would say something cool while doing it also.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

In a real life fight I suppose shouting "PUNCH" could potentially intimidate your opponent, besides they don't know where you're gonna hit them. But whether beneficial or a hindrance, what would the world be without "HADOUKEN!"?

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mercator

I was always under the impression that the shouting is required to perform the move.

They are incantations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing that always weirded me out is vaguely related to this. If bosses have an awesome attack that can totally destroy you, why wouldn't they keep doing it?

I know it's a video game and that would be lame, but it's something I've found weird since, like, Sonic 2.

Edit: After a good five minutes of thinking about it, this really isn't related at all. It reminded me of it somehow.

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gambit

SNK fighting game bosses do that and it sucks. Theres not a whole lot of fun in a boss fight that makes your curse and throw things lol. Boss gotta have that fine line of tough to beat but not unstoppable.

CursaKuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By CursaKuma

KAaaaa MEeee HAaaa MEeeee HAAAAAAAAA

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gambit
    CursaKuma said:
    "KAaaaa MEeee HAaaa MEeeee HAAAAAAAAA"
    Yes he went there!
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    CursaKuma said:
    "KAaaaa MEeee HAaaa MEeeee HAAAAAAAAA"
    lmao isn't that DBZ :P

**Also, I know this isn't really related, but I'm gonna start to record some of my matches and post them on Youtube. I'll be sure to make a blog in case anyone gets bored and wants to watch ;)**
    NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NukeGoBoom

Becouse a bunch of 0 and 1s arent really that smart.

HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HiroSeven

When a grenade is thrown we'd generally say something like 'frag out!' or 'heads up!'; I think this is similar in some ways.

Plus, in real life we don't usually say "KICKASS!" before kicking ass, but we still tend to intimidate using our voice along with our attacks. It's one of the first things you'd learn in martial arts in fact.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By JJOR64

Don't know.  That's like in YuGiOh (anime) when they scream every move they do.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    HiroSeven said:
    "When a grenade is thrown we'd generally say something like 'frag out!' or 'heads up!'; I think this is similar in some ways. Plus, in real life we don't usually say "KICKASS!" before kicking ass, but we still tend to intimidate using our voice along with our attacks. It's one of the first things you'd learn in martial arts in fact. "
    No but see, people yell "frag out" generally to worn others, such as their partners etc. so they won't be hurt in the process of the frag grenade exploding. And do you mean "KICKASS" as in "I'm gonna kick your ass!"? Because you say that prior to the actual attack, not during it.

And people in martial arts don't say anything like that either. They may grunt or exclaim a high vocal sound in order to ready themselves for a heavy blow or powerful attack (i.e before breaking wood, bricks etc.)

Don't mean to sound like an ass, but this whole "I"M GONNA YELL WHAT I"M GOING TO DO NEXT SO BE READY HERE I COME HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS LOLOL" just seems a bit odd to me.

:P
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    "I mean, think about it. Would anyone in a real life fight yell "PUNCH!!" "KICK!!" or "CROTCHSHOT" before actually doing their attack?

This seems pretty silly to me, as well as annoying. Hearing "TIGER TIGER TIGER" as I try to do my combos pisses me off after about 2 minutes of play. And all of the "HADOUKEN!" or, god forbid, the endless "SHORYUKEN!!1!1!" don't help either. And it's not like hearing the attacks are really beneficial to the opposing player. I don't really pay attention to what the character's say, just the actions that are performed on screen.  And the said commands aren't ahead of the actual actions, they're executed at the same time (well, except for the Ultra's, but you can tell when an Ultra is coming).Anyone else agree, or am I just hitting the sauce too much again? "
    What...? So you find it annoying, but... you never listen to it anyways...
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Jolly_Lolly said:
    "I mean, think about it. Would anyone in a real life fight yell "PUNCH!!" "KICK!!" or "CROTCHSHOT" before actually doing their attack?

This seems pretty silly to me, as well as annoying. Hearing "TIGER TIGER TIGER" as I try to do my combos pisses me off after about 2 minutes of play. And all of the "HADOUKEN!" or, god forbid, the endless "SHORYUKEN!!1!1!" don't help either. And it's not like hearing the attacks are really beneficial to the opposing player. I don't really pay attention to what the character's say, just the actions that are performed on screen.  And the said commands aren't ahead of the actual actions, they're executed at the same time (well, except for the Ultra's, but you can tell when an Ultra is coming).Anyone else agree, or am I just hitting the sauce too much again? "
    What...? So you find it annoying, but... you never listen to it anyways..."
    Just because I don't pay attention to them, doesn't mean that I can't hear them.

It's sort of like the sound a dying cat makes in the alleyway while you're trying to get some sleep.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "Jolly_Lolly said:

What...? So you find it annoying, but... you never listen to it anyways..."
    Just because I don't pay attention to them, doesn't mean that I can't hear them. It's sort of like the sound a dying cat makes in the alleyway while you're trying to get some sleep. "
    Way to paint an image. But seriously after a while, you don't even notice anymore. At least I don't. It doesn't serve a gameplay function. It's just there because they sound cool. It should have drowned away by now.
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By REDRUN

"Pikachu, I choose you!!! .... Pikachu, Lightening Bolt Attack now!!!"

If an attack took that long to do, a simple Hadouken would done the job better than looking like you are suffering from a hemorrhoidal Kamehameha. Think of calling out your move like a "Did you get that memo i sent you?".

HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HiroSeven
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    "HiroSeven said:
    "When a grenade is thrown we'd generally say something like 'frag out!' or 'heads up!'; I think this is similar in some ways. Plus, in real life we don't usually say "KICKASS!" before kicking ass, but we still tend to intimidate using our voice along with our attacks. It's one of the first things you'd learn in martial arts in fact. "
    No but see, people yell "frag out" generally to worn others, such as their partners etc. so they won't be hurt in the process of the frag grenade exploding. And do you mean "KICKASS" as in "I'm gonna kick your ass!"? Because you say that prior to the actual attack, not during it. And people in martial arts don't say anything like that either. They may grunt or exclaim a high vocal sound in order to ready themselves for a heavy blow or powerful attack (i.e before breaking wood, bricks etc.)Don't mean to sound like an ass, but this whole "I"M GONNA YELL WHAT I"M GOING TO DO NEXT SO BE READY HERE I COME HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS LOLOL" just seems a bit odd to me.:P"
    I guess my post could be a bit misunderstanding, let me explain further:

I never said that martial artists say something like 'kickass' before they punch. What I meant was exactly what you explained, we're taught to grunt or to make a loud noise during ie. a final blow in a combination or finishing off a pattern relegated towards an offensive or defensive nature(and like you said, upon the breaking of objects). I used KICKASS as a form of comparison with saying Hadoken in real life before they attacked 'during' a fight and then contrasted with what I just explained in the previous scentence.

As for the logic behind the grenade throw: I realize that phrases such as 'fire in the hole' are meant to warn others, but it's something that  someone is 'probably' trained to say whether there are other people there or not.

Perhaps it's all just an honor among warriors thing going on or maybe its just an involuntary vocal outburst of the manifestation of energy that they are building up for the attack. Obviously certain attacks dont need words, like Balrog's or Blanka's specials... then again some are over emphasized like Cammy's or Ken's specials. Then again, I tend to agree with others in saying that it's tradition and it gives the characters a certain personality that they wouldn't have otherwise. I would not like playing a Street Fighter game without those vocals... then again if SF had been without vocals for special attacks and it was something just introduced I wouldn't know what I'd think then.

There are other cases to draw this sort of vocal outward nature of fighting. For instance, In many of the kung fu movies they always say something like 'Witness the Flying Crane Eagle stance!' before and during the fight then someone counters by describing what attack they are using; almost as if to challenge the other fighter in trying to break their defenses using whatever style of fighting they know. Bruce Lee had a special way of expressing his attacks which people probably thought strange at first, especially people who were foreign to the type of fighting style, however those vocals accompanied by his attacks is one of his lasting charms and that was just one of the reasons he was so well known.

When it all comes down to it I think one has to realize that it is a fantasy world based on fantasy things which aren't meant to be realistic in any way, shape or form.
    bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bjorno

COBRA-STRIKE!!

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By papercut

Kamehameha.

nuff said

EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 46

#25  Edited By EpicBenjamin

"Get ready to jump! HADOKEN!"

It would't be a proper Street Fighter game without it.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By REDRUN

"Land on my fist as i go up SHORYUKEN"

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StaticFalconar

That doesn't explain why when Balrog does a move he just laughs at his opponents. I'm pretty sure the move is called rush punch not "ha ha ha ha ha."

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    StaticFalconar said:
    "That doesn't explain why when Balrog does a move he just laughs at his opponents. I'm pretty sure the move is called rush punch not "ha ha ha ha ha.""

He only laughs when he does the Crazy Buffalo, and he laughs because he knows his opponent's gonna get hurt bad when that hits. 

Anyways, almost every single action-based anime (Gundam, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh...) has characters yelling out their attack before/while they perform it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.