Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Why play any character other than a shoto?

• 64 results
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Scooper
    @Napalm: Yeah, I've had that alot lately. They jump over you and your first hit gets them and you miss everything else. They don't have much time to punish you though, which isn't too bad.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By kmdrkul

When I played SF4, I played as El Fuerte simply because he was fucking hilarious to use.  His moveset is very much controlled chaos; and at my best I was able to wreck most people using shotos.  Unfortunately fighting games make me furious, and as such I have retired :P

lemon__fresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By lemon__fresh
    @Scooper said:
    " @Napalm: Yeah, I've had that alot lately. They jump over you and your first hit gets them and you miss everything else. They don't have much time to punish you though, which isn't too bad. "
    You guys actually try and catch ppl with it? I forget it even exists most of the time.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By napalm
    @lemon__fresh said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " @Napalm: Yeah, I've had that alot lately. They jump over you and your first hit gets them and you miss everything else. They don't have much time to punish you though, which isn't too bad. "
    You guys actually try and catch ppl with it? I forget it even exists most of the time. "
    When I feel the opportunity is right, only. Usually that's about once ever 15-20 matches.
    Gunner_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Gunner_Thor

I play as Vega because I love the sound of the claw and that he is low tier.  If you play Vega right, you can annoy the crap out of a shoto and that'll cause mistakes to happen.  I know he's weak as hell and his mask and claw DO fall off, but I really don't care because it's too much fun.  It's because of these shortcomings that I have to fight a certain way with Vega even though sometimes I want to do some Rog style rushdown.  I play it snake style, coiled in a defense stance and allways ready to strike at any and all mistakes.  So every DP you wiff, every Hurricane kick NOT in a combo is getting punished.  I also like usig taunts throughout my match to get them even more steamed so that they give me more to punish.  You can see from my words that I'm having a ball.

Speaking of Balls, Blanka is another thorn in the side of shotos.  If you have a grasp of his normals and have good timing on the balls, all he really has to do is atack for the first 20 seconds, then just sit back and wait.

Shotos have the dissadvantage of being overexposed so if you ARE going to play one, you have to be good and you have to know that basics.  That's another thing, screw all the FADC into etc, if you can't nail basics like throw techs, spacing, blocking, footsies, etc, you're going to lose regardless of who you play with.  If a scrub beats you with jump kicks and sweeps, then you aren't much better than they are.

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @Gunner_Thor said:

"Shotos have the dissadvantage of being overexposed so if you ARE going to play one, you have to be good and you have to know that basics.  That's another thing, screw all the FADC into etc, if you can't nail basics like throw techs, spacing, blocking, footsies, etc, you're going to lose regardless of who you play with.  If a scrub beats you with jump kicks and sweeps, then you aren't much better than they are."

I totally agree with this. People pick shotos because they feel they can just win off default because everyone else is winning with them. If someone was to pick a character that wasnt a shoto and learned in and out what that charater can do then there shouldnt really be a problem with beating certain characters. Now that being said I do think some shoto traits are complete bullshit. Like dragon punches only having a 3 frame start up so they can counter anything and ryu being able to use this to get an easy ultra or super. But players have to learn to deal with this. I hate shotos just as much as the next guy but i can live with them. And its great showing a shoto player that there is more to the game than uppercuts and fireballs. :P
    biggblack86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By biggblack86

those last two posts said it on the money pretty much. any character has the potential to clean house. its the player behind the sticks that matters most when it comes down to it though.  

but most shotos are just HELLA scrubs. nothing but get-up SRKs and screen hadoukens the whole match.

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Flushes

There is statistically no reason not to play Ryu or Sagat (and perhaps Akuma) if all you're interested in is winning. Neither have a single bad matchup according to the current Japanese charts. Both have perfect anti-air, strong zoning, respectable health, high mobility, a fast projectile, easy-to-link ultras, and safe ways to easily hit-confirm into damaging combos. A character's ability to win in SFIV is basically defined by how many of Ryu and Sagat's tools they have.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By napalm
    @Flushes said:
    " There is statistically no reason not to play Ryu or Sagat (and perhaps Akuma) if all you're interested in is winning. Neither have a single bad matchup according to the current Japanese charts. Both have perfect anti-air, strong zoning, respectable health, high mobility, a fast projectile, easy-to-link ultras, and safe ways to easily hit-confirm into damaging combos. A character's ability to win in SFIV is basically defined by how many of Ryu and Sagat's tools they have. "
    Hm. Good point, but this leaves me a little puzzled. You're basically saying that Ryu and Sagat are the blueprint for how Street Fighter IV plays?
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Flushes

Think of it like this: a character's overall effectiveness can be calculated in most games by looking at what character wins the most over time in high-level play, and then seeing what tools that this highly effective character has that the rest of the cast either partially or totally lacks. Considering what I've said about Ryu and Sagat, take a look at Abel: poor anti-air, no ability to zone, no easily hit-confirmed combos (his longest is two hits), limited ways to juggle with ultra, no projectile, and no fast, get-off-me move (like a dragon punch). Abel may have lots of health, do tons of damage, and be one of the fastest characters in the game on the ground, but his offense is based around unsafe guessing games and trickery, whereas Ryu and Sagat can engage in comparatively safe zoning. In SFIV, good zoning and footsies beats good offense in most cases; think about Zangief, who has the most effective in-your-face offense in the game, but still has bad matches against Seth, Dhalsim, Akuma, Sagat, and arguably Ryu. The game's best offensive character will probably end up being Akuma simply because of how well he can slam on the brakes and switch from his crazy good rushdown and high-percentage okizeme games to exceptional keep-away so quickly. 

While other characters may make up for some of their deficiencies with strengths in other areas, none have the perfect storm of options and strengths that Ryu and Sagat have. That isn't to say that you shouldn't play other characters, but you will absolutely have to work a little harder; maybe not as hard as in any other fighting game, well, ever, but the difference is still there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Flushes said:
    While other characters may make up for some of their deficiencies with strengths in other areas, none have the perfect storm of options and strengths that Ryu and Sagat have. That isn't to say that you shouldn't play other characters, but you will absolutely have to work a little harder; maybe not as hard as in any other fighting game, well, ever, but the difference is still there. "
    So, what you are basically saying is that SFIV is an imbalanced POS. Charming.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By lordofultima

I was about to reply to Stang and be like, dude Akuma has so much up his sleeve that you can never quite know what he's going to do -- VORTEX BRAH, but then I realized this is a thread resurrected from the dead that is 57 years old. WHY.

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Gambit

( . Y . )

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Plasma

No Caption Provided
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Flushes

Why must you engage in shameless thread necromancy. Also: Ultima, fuck your various vortices. I wish I could hate Akuma to death.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.