Will people still play this after Super comes out?

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -

I was wondering If I should get it. I don't to wait for Super so all the pros can beat me every game I play. I've never had a fighting game before.

#2 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -

First one to make a general discussion joke gets stabbed.

#3 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

im guessing you mean Street Fighter 4, and no, everyone (or about 95%) will move on to super, its the same game with 10 more characters, more ultras, more stages and better online... why would anyone still play SF4 :P

#4 Posted by animateria (3259 posts) -

Er, the forums bugs are at it again!
 
I'm assuming you are talking about Street Fighter IV.
 
Just get Super, it's only $40. SFIV  is obsolete since the arcades are getting an upgrade to SSFIV.

#5 Posted by Godwind (2596 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
"First one to make a general discussion joke gets stabbed. "

So two forum discussion sections walk into a bar, General Discussions and Off Topic and .... *Stabed*
#6 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -

I guess I won't be playing Street Fighter unless super comes straight to XBLM. That's too bad.

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19386 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" I guess I won't be playing Street Fighter unless super comes straight to XBLM. That's too bad. "
With that attitude, it doesn't seem that you would like it even if it was given to you for free.  The only way you'll get fun out of it is if you have others to play with you locally.  If not, you'd need to face online random people and, when that happens, you'd need to dedicate yourself to the game or else you'll get "owned hardcore".  It doesn't seem like fighting games are for you.
#8 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

I will still be on IV occasionally.

#9 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

Most people will move on when Super comes out.

#10 Edited by Brake (1126 posts) -

I would imagine that pretty much everybody moves over. Unless there's an unerground cult of IV purists.

#11 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Yeah, most people will move to Super of course, but I am sure there are a lot of people like me who will keep their copy and visit IV from time to time, just like they do with a lot of older titles. IV is truly special, yes homo, and deserves to be played even though it is outdated.

#12 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

I'll play it until i buy Super i guess. 
 
I'll wait a while though, because I'm trying to save money lately. Gotta buy a new car, and college fees for next year :S
 
And have to have some money for Red Dead: Redemption! :D

#13 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" I guess I won't be playing Street Fighter unless super comes straight to XBLM. That's too bad. "
With that attitude, it doesn't seem that you would like it even if it was given to you for free.  The only way you'll get fun out of it is if you have others to play with you locally.  If not, you'd need to face online random people and, when that happens, you'd need to dedicate yourself to the game or else you'll get "owned hardcore".  It doesn't seem like fighting games are for you. "
I used to be good at fighting games when I was a wee youngin. I really do enjoy them alot, but I don't know if I would be good anymore. As long as there's a few people online, I'll be good. 
 
After for comes out, even if there's like 2,000 people a day that play, I'll be happy. Do you think there would be that much?
#14 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

This is one thing I've always hated about Street Fighter. They release a game, then their sequel is basically a repackaging with 5-6 new characters. It would have been in everyone's best interest if it was just like a GOTY packaging like Fallout 3, where people that own the original SF4 could just download the new stuff as DLC for like $20. Instead, all the SF4 fans are going to need to cough up another $60 for Super Street Fighter IV, which is lame.

#15 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
" This is one thing I've always hated about Street Fighter. They release a game, then their sequel is basically a repackaging with 5-6 new characters. It would have been in everyone's best interest if it was just like a GOTY packaging like Fallout 3, where people that own the original SF4 could just download the new stuff as DLC for like $20. Instead, all the SF4 fans are going to need to cough up another $60 for Super Street Fighter IV, which is lame. "
Super is $40. There is too much new content for it to be DLC. All the frame data is different, new stages, etc. That is not realistic.
#16 Edited by Mr_Faraday (241 posts) -

@TheGreatGuero:
SSF4 is $40 actually but i agree with you i wish it could have been DLC.

#17 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" This is one thing I've always hated about Street Fighter. They release a game, then their sequel is basically a repackaging with 5-6 new characters. It would have been in everyone's best interest if it was just like a GOTY packaging like Fallout 3, where people that own the original SF4 could just download the new stuff as DLC for like $20. Instead, all the SF4 fans are going to need to cough up another $60 for Super Street Fighter IV, which is lame. "
Super is $40. There is too much new content for it to be DLC. All the frame data is different, new stages, etc. That is not realistic. "
They couldn't put new stages and characters in DLC? Episodes From Liberty City was very, very different, and it managed to be DLC or disc.  Why can't Street Fighter do that!?
#18 Posted by Brake (1126 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry: Because IV wasn't programmed with this kind of added content in mind.
#19 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -
@ChineseTea: Huh? That was clear as mud to me.
#20 Posted by drac96 (673 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
" This is one thing I've always hated about Street Fighter. They release a game, then their sequel is basically a repackaging with 5-6 new characters. It would have been in everyone's best interest if it was just like a GOTY packaging like Fallout 3, where people that own the original SF4 could just download the new stuff as DLC for like $20. Instead, all the SF4 fans are going to need to cough up another $60 for Super Street Fighter IV, which is lame. "
It's only $40, so it's a little less lame.
#21 Posted by vinsanity09 (212 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry:
I think that they've tweaked the fighting engine, can't really put that as DLC

#22 Posted by Brake (1126 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry: There was no way to add everything they're adding with Super via DLC, due to the way Street Fighter 4 was programmed.
#23 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -

Wow...

#24 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

My guess is no. People will still play it, but not many.

#25 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" I guess I won't be playing Street Fighter unless super comes straight to XBLM. That's too bad. "
With that attitude, it doesn't seem that you would like it even if it was given to you for free.  The only way you'll get fun out of it is if you have others to play with you locally.  If not, you'd need to face online random people and, when that happens, you'd need to dedicate yourself to the game or else you'll get "owned hardcore".  It doesn't seem like fighting games are for you. "
This guy does this all the time on these forums. He says a game is garbage then when someone calls him on it his response is usually 'well I haven't played it...but it looked crappy'
#26 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -
@mazik765 said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" I guess I won't be playing Street Fighter unless super comes straight to XBLM. That's too bad. "
With that attitude, it doesn't seem that you would like it even if it was given to you for free.  The only way you'll get fun out of it is if you have others to play with you locally.  If not, you'd need to face online random people and, when that happens, you'd need to dedicate yourself to the game or else you'll get "owned hardcore".  It doesn't seem like fighting games are for you. "
This guy does this all the time on these forums. He says a game is garbage then when someone calls him on it his response is usually 'well I haven't played it...but it looked crappy' "
Dude, what!? When the hell did I say this game was crappy!? I have MS points, not real moneys. My local store won't accept MS points, so if it's not on the marketplace I can't buy it. 
 
What do you mean "all the time!?" When did I say that!? 
 
Also, you have 57 posts, so I wouldn't be talking like you've even been here long enough to know. 
 
 
You cunt.
#27 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry: Post count doesn't mean jack shit. I've been here since day one. Now look at my post count.
#28 Posted by Raakill (845 posts) -

Just wait for MvC3. I am.

#29 Posted by lordofultima (6280 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
" This is one thing I've always hated about Street Fighter. They release a game, then their sequel is basically a repackaging with 5-6 new characters. It would have been in everyone's best interest if it was just like a GOTY packaging like Fallout 3, where people that own the original SF4 could just download the new stuff as DLC for like $20. Instead, all the SF4 fans are going to need to cough up another $60 for Super Street Fighter IV, which is lame. "
Look at the development costs for all of this, and keep in mind that it's a 40 dollar game. 
  
  • Ten new characters
  • Game enging re-balancing, tweaks (this is the huge one)
  • Additional ultras and new moves for existing SF4 characters
  • New stages
  • Complete online restructuring, including 8 player lobbies, team battle mode, free tournament mode dlc, and the ability to save and view any match replay, also in an 8 player lobby.
  • New art assets, story arc, cutscenes (people put in a lot of man hours for this)
 
It seems to me that the only people that complain about Super Street Fighter IV not being DLC, are, you know -- the people that don't play Street Fighter. It's sort of a non-issue, because I can't think of a better value for a game with that many added features, and most people on the sf4 boards will agree.
#30 Posted by Jeffsekai (7052 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" This is one thing I've always hated about Street Fighter. They release a game, then their sequel is basically a repackaging with 5-6 new characters. It would have been in everyone's best interest if it was just like a GOTY packaging like Fallout 3, where people that own the original SF4 could just download the new stuff as DLC for like $20. Instead, all the SF4 fans are going to need to cough up another $60 for Super Street Fighter IV, which is lame. "
Look at the development costs for all of this, and keep in mind that it's a 40 dollar game. 
  
  • Ten new characters
  • Game enging re-balancing, tweaks (this is the huge one)
  • Additional ultras and new moves for existing SF4 characters
  • New stages
  • Complete online restructuring, including 8 player lobbies, team battle mode, free tournament mode dlc, and the ability to save and view any match replay, also in an 8 player lobby.
  • New art assets, story arc, cutscenes (people put in a lot of man hours for this)
 
It seems to me that the only people that complain about Super Street Fighter IV not being DLC, are, you know -- the people that don't play Street Fighter. It's sort of a non-issue, because I can't think of a better value for a game with that many added features, and most people on the sf4 boards will agree.
"
Truth
#31 Posted by StaticFalconar (4850 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
" This is one thing I've always hated about Street Fighter. They release a game, then their sequel is basically a repackaging with 5-6 new characters. It would have been in everyone's best interest if it was just like a GOTY packaging like Fallout 3, where people that own the original SF4 could just download the new stuff as DLC for like $20. Instead, all the SF4 fans are going to need to cough up another $60 for Super Street Fighter IV, which is lame. "
Try 10 new characters and eveybody else gets new moves, and you only pay 40. You are the one that's lame. 
#32 Posted by Belonpopo (1822 posts) -

I'll play until i save for Super.

#33 Posted by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry: Haha man just because he doesn't have a lot of post doesn't mean he hasn't been on giantbomb less then you have, i don't have a lot of post and i have been on this website for over 1 year and a half.
#34 Posted by lordofultima (6280 posts) -

To answer your question, I know that I personally will never play SFIV again. I imagine the feeling is mutual for a large majority of people.

#35 Posted by lilbigsupermario (842 posts) -

I guess I might go back to SF4 just for the survival and time attack modes (it's missing in SSF4 right?) and if a friend wants to have a match with me online & he/she hasn't bought SSF4 yet. :)

#36 Edited by lilbigsupermario (842 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:

" This is one thing I've always hated about Street Fighter. They release a game, then their sequel is basically a repackaging with 5-6 new characters. It would have been in everyone's best interest if it was just like a GOTY packaging like Fallout 3, where people that own the original SF4 could just download the new stuff as DLC for like $20. Instead, all the SF4 fans are going to need to cough up another $60 for Super Street Fighter IV, which is lame. "

This has always been the never ending argument ever since Super Street Fighter 4 was announced.  There is too much added content for it to be a DLC.  And it's a re-balancing of the whole game, not just a re-package. 
 
Just curious, if you hate Street Fighter, why are you even checking out the Street Fighter 4 forum? <-- forget about this :D
 
@TheGreatGuero : My bad, I misread your post about hating Street Fighter, sorry about that. :)
#37 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19386 posts) -
@lilbigsupermario said:
" Just curious, if you hate Street Fighter, why are you even checking out the Street Fighter 4 forum? "
He never said he hated Street Fighter.
#38 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -
@ricetopher: @DAFTPUNK: Alright, fair enough. Still, it doesn't give him the right to say what he did because I said nothing of the sort.
#39 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

PC players without a console will but the general consensus is that IV will be dropped! All tournaments are dropping IV too in favour of Super.
 
No reason to play IV anymore really aside from Super not being out on PC, that and if you have a hard on for Sagat being god tier. :p

#40 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry:  Just because I don't voice my opinion on every topic everyone ever brings up so i can increase my magical internet forum epeen does not make me somehow a 'cunt', and it's hard to take you seriously when you qualify your responses with words like that. If you are any age over 12 than I am emberassed for you.
 
On the topic, perhaps you did not say you hate it but you are certainly talking it down. If you don't like the way the game has implemented it's features than don't play it, problem solved. It is a lot of content that wouldn't have seen the light of fay without a new game.
#41 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @Stang said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" This is one thing I've always hated about Street Fighter. They release a game, then their sequel is basically a repackaging with 5-6 new characters. It would have been in everyone's best interest if it was just like a GOTY packaging like Fallout 3, where people that own the original SF4 could just download the new stuff as DLC for like $20. Instead, all the SF4 fans are going to need to cough up another $60 for Super Street Fighter IV, which is lame. "
Super is $40. There is too much new content for it to be DLC. All the frame data is different, new stages, etc. That is not realistic. "
They couldn't put new stages and characters in DLC? Episodes From Liberty City was very, very different, and it managed to be DLC or disc.  Why can't Street Fighter do that!? "
Sure they could but the thing is, it's added hassle for tournament runners and Capcom are known for their tournament support.
 
It's already annoying having to make sure all the characters are unlocked, it would be worse if people had to make sure the DLC was in place on all systems and that they were connected to the net so the DLC actually functions. (not being connected to Live makes a lot of DLC unplayable)
#42 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

I'd like to say that I'd still whip out the old SFIV from time to time just for shits and giggles, but to be honest, I doubt I'd go back after SSFIV comes out.  SSFIV just has too many new additions to balance, the roster, and modes for me to really want to go back after I get my hands on it.

#43 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

Only a few new characters, and i don't play online anyway. I can't justify buying another copy, however cheap it is.

#44 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -
@mazik765 said:
" @AlwaysAngry:  Just because I don't voice my opinion on every topic everyone ever brings up so i can increase my magical internet forum epeen does not make me somehow a 'cunt', and it's hard to take you seriously when you qualify your responses with words like that. If you are any age over 12 than I am emberassed for you.  On the topic, perhaps you did not say you hate it but you are certainly talking it down. If you don't like the way the game has implemented it's features than don't play it, problem solved. It is a lot of content that wouldn't have seen the light of fay without a new game. "
I'm not talking down to it dude! Why would you be embarrassed if I was over 12!? I think you're just trolling though, so that makes it better.
#45 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -
@Ygg said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @Stang said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" This is one thing I've always hated about Street Fighter. They release a game, then their sequel is basically a repackaging with 5-6 new characters. It would have been in everyone's best interest if it was just like a GOTY packaging like Fallout 3, where people that own the original SF4 could just download the new stuff as DLC for like $20. Instead, all the SF4 fans are going to need to cough up another $60 for Super Street Fighter IV, which is lame. "
Super is $40. There is too much new content for it to be DLC. All the frame data is different, new stages, etc. That is not realistic. "
They couldn't put new stages and characters in DLC? Episodes From Liberty City was very, very different, and it managed to be DLC or disc.  Why can't Street Fighter do that!? "
Sure they could but the thing is, it's added hassle for tournament runners and Capcom are known for their tournament support.  It's already annoying having to make sure all the characters are unlocked, it would be worse if people had to make sure the DLC was in place on all systems and that they were connected to the net so the DLC actually functions. (not being connected to Live makes a lot of DLC unplayable) "
I see I see. 
 
Yeah, definitely not a fighting games expert. I'm trying to expand my horizons. Fighting games, RPGs, all that stuff.
#46 Posted by lilbigsupermario (842 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @lilbigsupermario said:
" Just curious, if you hate Street Fighter, why are you even checking out the Street Fighter 4 forum? "
He never said he hated Street Fighter. "
Oh okay, it was just one thing he hated about Street Fighter hehe! My bad! Sorry :D
#47 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@lilbigsupermario: Heh, okay. I'm glad you caught that. Yeah, I definitely don't hate Street Fighter, it just annoys me that they've been doing this same thing since back with Street Fighter II. I remember hating that when I was a kid. Especially considering I couldn't buy the games myself back then, so I'd get the game and then they'd release a slightly updated version of it that I wouldn't be able to get.  
 
@lordofultima: Well, as for the gameplay balancing tweaks, I don't think we should have to pay for that. That's something they should have got right the first time, so they shouldn't expect us to have to pay for fixing their mistakes. Same goes with the new online system. Most games fix these kind of things as automatic updates. 
 
I will agree that ten new characters is a lot, but dude, if you take all that stuff and combine it, it still doesn't seem like it'd be worth more than paying $20 for. I think an Episodes from Liberty City style of approach would be great. If you already own SFIV, you should be able to download the stuff for $20. If you don't have SFIV, then you'll have to buy Super Street Fighter IV by itself (which is $40, and would be reasonable considering I believe you can buy SFIV for just $20 new today).
#48 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
" @lilbigsupermario: Heh, okay. I'm glad you caught that. Yeah, I definitely don't hate Street Fighter, it just annoys me that they've been doing this same thing since back with Street Fighter II. I remember hating that when I was a kid. Especially considering I couldn't buy the games myself back then, so I'd get the game and then they'd release a slightly updated version of it that I wouldn't be able to get.  
 
@lordofultima: Well, as for the gameplay balancing tweaks, I don't think we should have to pay for that. That's something they should have got right the first time, so they shouldn't expect us to have to pay for fixing their mistakes. Same goes with the new online system. Most games fix these kind of things as automatic updates.   I will agree that ten new characters is a lot, but dude, if you take all that stuff and combine it, it still doesn't seem like it'd be worth more than paying $20 for. I think an Episodes from Liberty City style of approach would be great. If you already own SFIV, you should be able to download the stuff for $20. If you don't have SFIV, then you'll have to buy Super Street Fighter IV by itself (which is $40, and would be reasonable considering I believe you can buy SFIV for just $20 new today). "

We  are not paying for them "fixing their mistakes." There were no mistakes in IV. Some balancing issues, yes, but that happens in all games. We are paying $40 for basically a new game. If you feel all this is only worth $20, then that is fine. Most of us are more then happy forking over $40 though.
#49 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

I would imagine that there'd be alot of newbies to Super once it comes out as well as pros. I'm sure there'll be a significant number of people who passed on the original IV and see picking up Super as a good deal. I'm sure you won't be alone when it comes to being new to the game.

#50 Posted by Gellrock (381 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry: Trust me mazik is anything but a person who trolls on forums, and he only  responds to people or posts when he truly believes in a subject.  he's legit dawg, plus he's got toad, and toad gets all da bitches!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.