Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Will people still play this after Super comes out?

• 66 results
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I was wondering If I should get it. I don't to wait for Super so all the pros can beat me every game I play. I've never had a fighting game before.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AlwaysAngry

First one to make a general discussion joke gets stabbed.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Rhaknar

im guessing you mean Street Fighter 4, and no, everyone (or about 95%) will move on to super, its the same game with 10 more characters, more ultras, more stages and better online... why would anyone still play SF4 :P

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By animateria

Er, the forums bugs are at it again!

I'm assuming you are talking about Street Fighter IV.

Just get Super, it's only $40. SFIV  is obsolete since the arcades are getting an upgrade to SSFIV.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Godwind
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    "First one to make a general discussion joke gets stabbed. "

So two forum discussion sections walk into a bar, General Discussions and Off Topic and .... *Stabed*
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I guess I won't be playing Street Fighter unless super comes straight to XBLM. That's too bad.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " I guess I won't be playing Street Fighter unless super comes straight to XBLM. That's too bad. "
    With that attitude, it doesn't seem that you would like it even if it was given to you for free.  The only way you'll get fun out of it is if you have others to play with you locally.  If not, you'd need to face online random people and, when that happens, you'd need to dedicate yourself to the game or else you'll get "owned hardcore".  It doesn't seem like fighting games are for you.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stang

I will still be on IV occasionally.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JJOR64

Most people will move on when Super comes out.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Brake

I would imagine that pretty much everybody moves over. Unless there's an unerground cult of IV purists.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stang

Yeah, most people will move to Super of course, but I am sure there are a lot of people like me who will keep their copy and visit IV from time to time, just like they do with a lot of older titles. IV is truly special, yes homo, and deserves to be played even though it is outdated.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I'll play it until i buy Super i guess. 

I'll wait a while though, because I'm trying to save money lately. Gotta buy a new car, and college fees for next year :S

And have to have some money for Red Dead: Redemption! :D

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " I guess I won't be playing Street Fighter unless super comes straight to XBLM. That's too bad. "
    With that attitude, it doesn't seem that you would like it even if it was given to you for free.  The only way you'll get fun out of it is if you have others to play with you locally.  If not, you'd need to face online random people and, when that happens, you'd need to dedicate yourself to the game or else you'll get "owned hardcore".  It doesn't seem like fighting games are for you. "
    I used to be good at fighting games when I was a wee youngin. I really do enjoy them alot, but I don't know if I would be good anymore. As long as there's a few people online, I'll be good. 

After for comes out, even if there's like 2,000 people a day that play, I'll be happy. Do you think there would be that much?
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero

This is one thing I've always hated about Street Fighter. They release a game, then their sequel is basically a repackaging with 5-6 new characters. It would have been in everyone's best interest if it was just like a GOTY packaging like Fallout 3, where people that own the original SF4 could just download the new stuff as DLC for like $20. Instead, all the SF4 fans are going to need to cough up another $60 for Super Street Fighter IV, which is lame.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Stang
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " This is one thing I've always hated about Street Fighter. They release a game, then their sequel is basically a repackaging with 5-6 new characters. It would have been in everyone's best interest if it was just like a GOTY packaging like Fallout 3, where people that own the original SF4 could just download the new stuff as DLC for like $20. Instead, all the SF4 fans are going to need to cough up another $60 for Super Street Fighter IV, which is lame. "
    Super is $40. There is too much new content for it to be DLC. All the frame data is different, new stages, etc. That is not realistic.
    mr_faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mr_faraday

@TheGreatGuero:
    SSF4 is $40 actually but i agree with you i wish it could have been DLC.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Stang said:
    " @TheGreatGuero said:
    " This is one thing I've always hated about Street Fighter. They release a game, then their sequel is basically a repackaging with 5-6 new characters. It would have been in everyone's best interest if it was just like a GOTY packaging like Fallout 3, where people that own the original SF4 could just download the new stuff as DLC for like $20. Instead, all the SF4 fans are going to need to cough up another $60 for Super Street Fighter IV, which is lame. "
    Super is $40. There is too much new content for it to be DLC. All the frame data is different, new stages, etc. That is not realistic. "
    They couldn't put new stages and characters in DLC? Episodes From Liberty City was very, very different, and it managed to be DLC or disc.  Why can't Street Fighter do that!?
    Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Brake
    @AlwaysAngry: Because IV wasn't programmed with this kind of added content in mind.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @ChineseTea: Huh? That was clear as mud to me.
    drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20  Edited By drac96
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    It's only $40, so it's a little less lame.
    vinsanity09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vinsanity09
    @AlwaysAngry:
    I think that they've tweaked the fighting engine, can't really put that as DLC

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Brake
    @AlwaysAngry: There was no way to add everything they're adding with Super via DLC, due to the way Street Fighter 4 was programmed.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Wow...

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CL60

My guess is no. People will still play it, but not many.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mazik765
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    With that attitude, it doesn't seem that you would like it even if it was given to you for free.  The only way you'll get fun out of it is if you have others to play with you locally.  If not, you'd need to face online random people and, when that happens, you'd need to dedicate yourself to the game or else you'll get "owned hardcore".  It doesn't seem like fighting games are for you. "
    This guy does this all the time on these forums. He says a game is garbage then when someone calls him on it his response is usually 'well I haven't played it...but it looked crappy'
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @mazik765 said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    This guy does this all the time on these forums. He says a game is garbage then when someone calls him on it his response is usually 'well I haven't played it...but it looked crappy' "
    Dude, what!? When the hell did I say this game was crappy!? I have MS points, not real moneys. My local store won't accept MS points, so if it's not on the marketplace I can't buy it. 

What do you mean "all the time!?" When did I say that!? 

Also, you have 57 posts, so I wouldn't be talking like you've even been here long enough to know. 

You cunt.
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ricetopher
    @AlwaysAngry: Post count doesn't mean jack shit. I've been here since day one. Now look at my post count.
    Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wait for MvC3. I am.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By lordofultima
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    Look at the development costs for all of this, and keep in mind that it's a 40 dollar game. 

• Ten new characters
    • Game enging re-balancing, tweaks (this is the huge one)
    • Additional ultras and new moves for existing SF4 characters
    • New stages
    • Complete online restructuring, including 8 player lobbies, team battle mode, free tournament mode dlc, and the ability to save and view any match replay, also in an 8 player lobby.
    • New art assets, story arc, cutscenes (people put in a lot of man hours for this)

It seems to me that the only people that complain about Super Street Fighter IV not being DLC, are, you know -- the people that don't play Street Fighter. It's sort of a non-issue, because I can't think of a better value for a game with that many added features, and most people on the sf4 boards will agree.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @lordofultima said:
    " @TheGreatGuero said:
    Look at the development costs for all of this, and keep in mind that it's a 40 dollar game. 

• Ten new characters
    • Game enging re-balancing, tweaks (this is the huge one)
    • Additional ultras and new moves for existing SF4 characters
    • New stages
    • Complete online restructuring, including 8 player lobbies, team battle mode, free tournament mode dlc, and the ability to save and view any match replay, also in an 8 player lobby.
    • New art assets, story arc, cutscenes (people put in a lot of man hours for this)

It seems to me that the only people that complain about Super Street Fighter IV not being DLC, are, you know -- the people that don't play Street Fighter. It's sort of a non-issue, because I can't think of a better value for a game with that many added features, and most people on the sf4 boards will agree.
    "
    Truth
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    Try 10 new characters and eveybody else gets new moves, and you only pay 40. You are the one that's lame. 
    Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Belonpopo

I'll play until i save for Super.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @AlwaysAngry: Haha man just because he doesn't have a lot of post doesn't mean he hasn't been on giantbomb less then you have, i don't have a lot of post and i have been on this website for over 1 year and a half.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By lordofultima

To answer your question, I know that I personally will never play SFIV again. I imagine the feeling is mutual for a large majority of people.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lilbigsupermario

I guess I might go back to SF4 just for the survival and time attack modes (it's missing in SSF4 right?) and if a friend wants to have a match with me online & he/she hasn't bought SSF4 yet. :)

lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @TheGreatGuero said:

This has always been the never ending argument ever since Super Street Fighter 4 was announced.  There is too much added content for it to be a DLC.  And it's a re-balancing of the whole game, not just a re-package. 

Just curious, if you hate Street Fighter, why are you even checking out the Street Fighter 4 forum? <-- forget about this :D

@TheGreatGuero : My bad, I misread your post about hating Street Fighter, sorry about that. :)
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @lilbigsupermario said:
    " Just curious, if you hate Street Fighter, why are you even checking out the Street Fighter 4 forum? "
    He never said he hated Street Fighter.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @ricetopher: @DAFTPUNK: Alright, fair enough. Still, it doesn't give him the right to say what he did because I said nothing of the sort.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By Sooty

PC players without a console will but the general consensus is that IV will be dropped! All tournaments are dropping IV too in favour of Super.

No reason to play IV anymore really aside from Super not being out on PC, that and if you have a hard on for Sagat being god tier. :p

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mazik765
    @AlwaysAngry:  Just because I don't voice my opinion on every topic everyone ever brings up so i can increase my magical internet forum epeen does not make me somehow a 'cunt', and it's hard to take you seriously when you qualify your responses with words like that. If you are any age over 12 than I am emberassed for you.

On the topic, perhaps you did not say you hate it but you are certainly talking it down. If you don't like the way the game has implemented it's features than don't play it, problem solved. It is a lot of content that wouldn't have seen the light of fay without a new game.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sooty
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Stang said:
    " @TheGreatGuero said:
    Super is $40. There is too much new content for it to be DLC. All the frame data is different, new stages, etc. That is not realistic. "
    They couldn't put new stages and characters in DLC? Episodes From Liberty City was very, very different, and it managed to be DLC or disc.  Why can't Street Fighter do that!? "
    Sure they could but the thing is, it's added hassle for tournament runners and Capcom are known for their tournament support.

It's already annoying having to make sure all the characters are unlocked, it would be worse if people had to make sure the DLC was in place on all systems and that they were connected to the net so the DLC actually functions. (not being connected to Live makes a lot of DLC unplayable)
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#42  Edited By ImperiousRix

I'd like to say that I'd still whip out the old SFIV from time to time just for shits and giggles, but to be honest, I doubt I'd go back after SSFIV comes out.  SSFIV just has too many new additions to balance, the roster, and modes for me to really want to go back after I get my hands on it.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Fallen189

Only a few new characters, and i don't play online anyway. I can't justify buying another copy, however cheap it is.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @mazik765 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry:  Just because I don't voice my opinion on every topic everyone ever brings up so i can increase my magical internet forum epeen does not make me somehow a 'cunt', and it's hard to take you seriously when you qualify your responses with words like that. If you are any age over 12 than I am emberassed for you.  On the topic, perhaps you did not say you hate it but you are certainly talking it down. If you don't like the way the game has implemented it's features than don't play it, problem solved. It is a lot of content that wouldn't have seen the light of fay without a new game. "
    I'm not talking down to it dude! Why would you be embarrassed if I was over 12!? I think you're just trolling though, so that makes it better.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Ygg said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Stang said:
    " @TheGreatGuero said:
    They couldn't put new stages and characters in DLC? Episodes From Liberty City was very, very different, and it managed to be DLC or disc.  Why can't Street Fighter do that!? "
    Sure they could but the thing is, it's added hassle for tournament runners and Capcom are known for their tournament support.  It's already annoying having to make sure all the characters are unlocked, it would be worse if people had to make sure the DLC was in place on all systems and that they were connected to the net so the DLC actually functions. (not being connected to Live makes a lot of DLC unplayable) "
    I see I see. 

Yeah, definitely not a fighting games expert. I'm trying to expand my horizons. Fighting games, RPGs, all that stuff.
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @lilbigsupermario said:
    " Just curious, if you hate Street Fighter, why are you even checking out the Street Fighter 4 forum? "
    He never said he hated Street Fighter. "
    Oh okay, it was just one thing he hated about Street Fighter hehe! My bad! Sorry :D
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @lilbigsupermario: Heh, okay. I'm glad you caught that. Yeah, I definitely don't hate Street Fighter, it just annoys me that they've been doing this same thing since back with Street Fighter II. I remember hating that when I was a kid. Especially considering I couldn't buy the games myself back then, so I'd get the game and then they'd release a slightly updated version of it that I wouldn't be able to get.  

@lordofultima: Well, as for the gameplay balancing tweaks, I don't think we should have to pay for that. That's something they should have got right the first time, so they shouldn't expect us to have to pay for fixing their mistakes. Same goes with the new online system. Most games fix these kind of things as automatic updates. 

I will agree that ten new characters is a lot, but dude, if you take all that stuff and combine it, it still doesn't seem like it'd be worth more than paying $20 for. I think an Episodes from Liberty City style of approach would be great. If you already own SFIV, you should be able to download the stuff for $20. If you don't have SFIV, then you'll have to buy Super Street Fighter IV by itself (which is $40, and would be reasonable considering I believe you can buy SFIV for just $20 new today).
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Stang
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " @lilbigsupermario: Heh, okay. I'm glad you caught that. Yeah, I definitely don't hate Street Fighter, it just annoys me that they've been doing this same thing since back with Street Fighter II. I remember hating that when I was a kid. Especially considering I couldn't buy the games myself back then, so I'd get the game and then they'd release a slightly updated version of it that I wouldn't be able to get.  

@lordofultima: Well, as for the gameplay balancing tweaks, I don't think we should have to pay for that. That's something they should have got right the first time, so they shouldn't expect us to have to pay for fixing their mistakes. Same goes with the new online system. Most games fix these kind of things as automatic updates.   I will agree that ten new characters is a lot, but dude, if you take all that stuff and combine it, it still doesn't seem like it'd be worth more than paying $20 for. I think an Episodes from Liberty City style of approach would be great. If you already own SFIV, you should be able to download the stuff for $20. If you don't have SFIV, then you'll have to buy Super Street Fighter IV by itself (which is $40, and would be reasonable considering I believe you can buy SFIV for just $20 new today). "

We  are not paying for them "fixing their mistakes." There were no mistakes in IV. Some balancing issues, yes, but that happens in all games. We are paying $40 for basically a new game. If you feel all this is only worth $20, then that is fine. Most of us are more then happy forking over $40 though.
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By Illmatic

I would imagine that there'd be alot of newbies to Super once it comes out as well as pros. I'm sure there'll be a significant number of people who passed on the original IV and see picking up Super as a good deal. I'm sure you won't be alone when it comes to being new to the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-608a5477560df
    deactivated-608a5477560df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AlwaysAngry: Trust me mazik is anything but a person who trolls on forums, and he only  responds to people or posts when he truly believes in a subject.  he's legit dawg, plus he's got toad, and toad gets all da bitches!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.