Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Your go to combos with your main?

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Serker

For my Zangief at the moment it's
    (When enemy is in air) Quick Lariat + EX Banishing Flat
    Jump HP + [crouch]LP/LP/LP/LP + Banishing Flat

I'll usually throw in a piledriver at the end of that second combo if the enemy falls for it. That's pretty much what I'm always striving for.

Mine are super uninteresting, but I'm sure you guys have some impressive ones you can pull off.

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SpecialBuddy

Matters who im maining at the time. If im using Rufus I use: Dive kick->hp->hp tornado just because thats the easiest combo to do on my stick. If im playing Gen i use: jump MK->hp->hp hands which is my b.a.b. crossup combo. If i land in front with the Jump MK ill do a MP or a crouching MK then a HK Dragon Kick.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By keyhunter

Jumping Heavy Punch, Crouching Heavy Punch, Gadouken, Shoryuken/Ultra/Super

And in Guiles case, I just wait for people to jump at me and then flash kick them, the rest of the time I throw sonic booms.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By fr0br0
    @keyhunter said:
    " Jumping Heavy Punch, Crouching Heavy Punch, Gadouken, Shoryuken/Ultra/SuperAnd in Guiles case, I just wait for people to jump at me and then flash kick them, the rest of the time I throw sonic booms. "
    Haha, classic Guile right here.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

Don't want to share my combos.  It's a secret.    :-)

c0ncubine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By c0ncubine

As Akuma, you're basic c.LP>c.LK>Fireball or c.LP>c.LK>c.MP>Light Tatsu>Heavy Shoryuken

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrGetBonus

How much did you guys have to practice to get your combos down? I main boxer but I can never get the timing down on most things. Even simple stuff like just crouching jab jab short headbutt I manage to fuck the timing up all the time. I feel like such a scrub because I can't do much to punish missed attacks.

Damotello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Damotello
    @MrGetBonus:  Not too much, but the thing is you shouldn't have to place that much effort into getting the combos down - except maybe with links which can be difficult at times - it's knowing when to use them in context that should be the trickier part. Forgive me for being presumptious but it sounds like you're not really clicking with Balrog, and maybe you should try out some other characters who play differently. I used to have trouble with combos in pressure situations till I switched to M. Bison.

Anyway, I tend to use the simple yet effective ones. With Bison, it's a jump in MK > crouching MP > heavy scissors kick or that with punches and a heavy pyscho crusher if I wanna put some distance in afterwards, like if I'm in a corner. Also the lv. 2 focus > standing MP > crouching MK > light psycho crusher is a go to as well.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By ImperiousRix

As a Vega player, I'm not super inclined to long combo strings as I'm more focused on my mix-up game and wall shenanigans. 
    As it is, I do like to *crouching light punch + crouching light punch + crouching medium punch + rolling crystal flash*  as a way to turtle up guys for my various wall moves, as well as for chip damage late in the round.
    I also like to do variations of a jump in kick/sweep combo, and I've also found a good *crouching downfoward strong kick + sweep* for more option on pushing Vega's offense.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By lordofultima

Well, as you may know I play Akuma mainly. Akuma has like 1900 combos and I love ALL OF THEM equally. But I'll list a couple keepers.

Fierce

These start with Fierce (obviously). You can opt for a hit-string instead, but keep in mind you'll have to probably substitute the second s.HP(c) for a s.HK(f) and finish with the Roundhouse link instead.
    • s.HP(c) -> LK Tatsu, HP Shoryuken
    • s.HP(c) -> LK Tatsu, LP Shoryuken -> FADC, HP Shakunetsu
    • s.HP(c) -> Fireball -> FADC, s.HP(c) -> LK Tatsu, HP Shoryuken
    • s.HP(c) -> Fireball -> FADC, s.HP(c) -> LK Tatsu, LP Shoryuken -> FADC, HP Shakunetsu

Knockdowns

Just a couple simple knockdowns to live by, which set up the all important wake-up game.
    • c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> EX Fireball
    • crossup Tatsu (air), c.HK

Roundhouse

One of the best pokes in the game, it has deceiving range, good startup and recovery, hits twice and is mad easy to combo into.
    • s.HK(f), c.LK~LP or c.LP~MP -> LK tatsu, HP Shoryuken
    • s.HK(f), c.LK~LP or c.LP~MP -> LK tatsu, LP Shoryuken -> FADC, HP Shakunetsu

Pressure

These are your basic hit/block strings that you can start off most of Akuma's combos with. Depending on if your opponent gets hit or blocks them, you may want to do different things out of them.
    • c.LK-c.LP, c.MP
    • c.LP-c.LP, c.LP
    • c.LK-c.LP, c.MP
    • c.LK-c.LP, c.MK
    • c.LK-c.LP-c.LP, c.MK

Corners

These are highly situational combos that involve you or your opponent being at either end of the stage (the "corners," obviously).
    • crossup j.MK (into corner), c.MP -> EX Tatsu, HP Shoryuken
    • crossup j.MK (into corner), c.MP -> EX Tatsu, LP Shoryuken -> FADC, HP Shakunetsu
    • j.HK (opponent in corner), c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> EX Tatsu, HP Shoryuken
    • j.HK (opponent in corner), c.LK-c.LP, c.MP -> EX Tatsu, LP Shoryuken -> FADC, HP Shakunetsu
    • c.MK (back to corner) -> EX Tatsu, HP Shoryuken
    • c.MK (back to corner) -> EX Tatsu, LP Shoryuken -> FADC, HP Shakunetsu

@MrGetBonus: A lot. You have to practice a lot. I suppose it depends on the character, but for me to understand my link timings and FADC's, I had to bang them out HOURS at a time to get them into muscle memory. That way I don't have to think about using them, I just use them when the opportunity presents itself. Since you're using Balrog I can definitely say you NEED to know jab jab short -> headbutt. So knock that crap out in training mode until it makes you sick.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By PureRok

I don't use combos. Everything happens au naturel and on the fly; I'm a 100% reactionary player.

No intentional combos. I'm more of a hit 'n run kind of player. Seems to work all right so far.

Edit to elaborate on maybe the main reason as to why I don't do combos:

Grab your arcade stick (or controller). Now spin the stick around in one of the bottom corners in a circular motion. That's what I'm doing the whole time I'm fighting. Unless I'm not moving, but as soon as I react I guarantee that stick spins around at least once before I do a move.

It probably has something to do with the fact that I hold the stick like this (sorry if the quality is bad, I took the picture with the camera in my mouth):

No Caption Provided

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lordofultima
    @PureRok: Cross-handed? Eww! But seriously, it's fine being a reactionary player, but if you can't maximize your damage output when the opportunity is available, then that's questionable play. You don't think that me getting a 7-hit combo in Ken for whiffing a Shoryuken is reaction? On the contrary, it's all muscle memory. It's certainly better than just doing a throw when he lands.

You might as well just make a custom arcade stick with a joystick on the right side instead of the left, I've never understood cross-handed play.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PureRok
    @lordofultima said:
    " @PureRok: Cross-handed? Eww! But seriously, it's fine being a reactionary player, but if you can't maximize your damage output when the opportunity is available, then that's questionable play. You don't think that me getting a 7-hit combo in Ken for whiffing a Shoryuken is reaction? On the contrary, it's all muscle memory. It's certainly better than just doing a throw when he lands.You might as well just make a custom arcade stick with a joystick on the right side instead of the left, I've never understood cross-handed play. "
    I can't play without crossing my arms. If the stick were on the right I'd just cross my left hand over.

I hate combos and think they are retarded. I also hate throws. I only throw if nothing else is working. If Ken whiffs a shoryuken, I won't throw him. I'll probably cannon spike him or spiral arrow.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ImperiousRix

I tend to just throw Ken if he whiffs a shoryuken, simply because I fear he'll be able to interrupt my combo with an EX Shoryuken or something.  I dunno, it's a psychological thing.
    If I have the EX meter, I'll use Vega's EX wall-dive into Izuna Drop.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lordofultima
    @PureRok: This attitude won't get you far in Street Fighter. Everybody thought throws and chip damage were cheap when they were 8 years old playing Turbo on their SNES. It seems counter-productive when you're trying to win to refuse to combo someone just because you 'hate' combos. You don't play a character where combos are prolific, but that shouldn't stop you from learning to punish opponents properly.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PureRok
    @lordofultima said:
    " @PureRok: This attitude won't get you far in Street Fighter. Everybody thought throws and chip damage were cheap when they were 8 years old playing Turbo on their SNES. It seems counter-productive when you're trying to win to refuse to combo someone just because you 'hate' combos. You don't play a character where combos are prolific, but that shouldn't stop you from learning to punish opponents properly. "
    I win enough. You know what else I hate? People telling me how I should play a game. The last person who tried to tell me how to play I shut the fuck up and never played with again.

Edit: Also, I never said anything about anything being cheap. I just don't do them.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lordofultima
    @PureRok: I debated putting "no offense but.." before my last post, but I knew it would be pointless since you'd take offense to it either way. If you don't welcome advice, I'd recommend not taking part in a "forum," you know a place where people discuss things. It seems counter-productive to even post in a topic about your go-to combos simply to say "I hate them, look at me I play cross-handed woo!" At the very least, you should probably be expecting someone to reply to said comment with said opinion of ONE'S OWN.

I hate forums, Street Fighter just happens to be such a passionate subject for me that I endure the pain and suffering to spread the word. I can tell you how you should play the game. I can tell people how to do all kinds of things, doesn't mean they'll have the aptitude to do so.
    DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    @PureRok said:
    I hate combos and think they are retarded. I also hate throws. I only throw if nothing else is working. If Ken whiffs a shoryuken, I won't throw him. I'll probably cannon spike him or spiral arrow. "
    Whats the point in playing then?
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @PureRok:  Man PureRok if you hate combos so much you should try out Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 cause that game is all about not comboing to win or you might enjoy Smash Bros more. Its a toss up.
    Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gambit

I like cake.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Stang

PureRok lets play! It seems I stand a chance against you!

:p

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By jakob187

Well, given that I'm using Cammy most of the time, I'm not a fan of most of the combos that are in her arsenal.  The main reason is because none of them seem to present themselves well in any given situation.  Much like PureRok, I'm a reactionary player...but at the same time, I'm also a person who knows the value of a well-thrown combo.  I have nothing against them, but I just don't really like the "combos" that Cammy has available to her.

My two biggest go-to's:

Against Hadokens:  When you are screen-length away -  EX Hooligan --> Focus --> j.MK --> c.MK --> Spiral Arrow (and if you have it available, follow this up with a cancel into Super or Ultra)
    General use combo:  Cannon Strike, c.LK, s.LK, s.HP(f), Spiral Arrow

Then again, my "combos" with Cammy aren't really "combos" in the traditional sense, but more a setup of framework that I've been able to tick down over the time that SFIV has been out (remember, I played Blanka and Dhalsim back in the SFII days, so Cammy is still pretty new to me).  Cammy doesn't really have anything that's super flashy, but her stuff does pack a whallop if you time it all right.  It can be very hard to recover from her, and she has some excellent range between her Cannon Spike AA, Spinning Knuckle standing D, and Spiral Arrow low ground.  Unfortunately, if you don't know how to use all three regions of the screen, then you get a pretty bland Cammy that gets her ass handed to her.  She's all special moves and little else, but that's the one thing that makes her tough to master.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PureRok
    @SpecialBuddy said:
    " @PureRok:  Man PureRok if you hate combos so much you should try out Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 cause that game is all about not comboing to win or you might enjoy Smash Bros more. Its a toss up. "
    I don't like either of those games.

@Stang said:
    " PureRok lets play! It seems I stand a chance against you! :p "
    I doubt it.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Stang

I am down to play pretty much any time after 3:00 pm pst, just let me know. I will play cross handed also to make things fair.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ImperiousRix

Hey... I love Super Smash Bros.!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.