Zangief's Ultra (and other related moves)

#1 Posted by Meltbrain (2969 posts) -

Hey guys.
I was just wondering about something and thought you could help me out, I'm a fairly decent SF player, not great, not terrible, but one of things I've never been able to do is moves that either involve a double semi-circle back/forward (like Dhalsim's super in HD Remix) and particularly, Zangief's Ultra/Super in SF4.

I can do regular piledrivers A OK, one full rotation of the stick and a punch button I can do fine, but every damn time I try to do a double rotation, I always end up making Zangief jump. Is there something about the timing that I'm getting wrong or something?

#2 Posted by efebayor (20 posts) -

I found that I could pull it off if I jumped into the person and whilst in mid-air, completed the first full circle, so when I landed I can do the second. I still have trouble pulling it off but it does work on occasion.

#3 Posted by Meltbrain (2969 posts) -
efebayor said:
"I found that I could pull it off if I jumped into the person and whilst in mid-air, completed the first full circle, so when I landed I can do the second. I still have trouble pulling it off but it does work on occasion.
"
That sounds like a wise move, I could probably do that too, I've seen a few good Zangief players just walk up to me and do it though, and I can't do it. =(
I've tried inputting the double 360 rotation really fast but it always ends up making him either jump or do something equally useless. Oh well, hopefully someone will tell us how it's done.
#4 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

I was wondering this as well - i cant seem to get either circle done without jumping xD

#5 Edited by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

I'll just start doing the circle until I notice I do two in a row without jumping, which means I usually need 3 rotations before I get it right.  Zangief's ultra is awesome but I really hate that despite him having giant arms his ultra has very little reach.

#6 Posted by Meltbrain (2969 posts) -
ImpendingFoil said:
"I'll just start doing the circle until I notice I do two in a row without jumping, which means I usually need 3 rotations before I get it right.  Zangief's ultra is awesome but I really hate that despite him having giant arms his ultra has very little reach.
"
That's because if his reach was any longer he'd be the most devastating character in the game without question, he's already pretty mean!
#7 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

Yeah my brother just recently started playing the game and got really good with Ken.  I shocked the hell out of him when I started spinning around his fireballs and keeping him on the ground with the double lariat.  He would even get more furious when I stopped using the double lariat and would just do the ultra instead.  I really had no idea Zangief was such a beast in SF4 until I played in the Gamestop Tournament yesterday and got absolutely rolled by a Zangief player.  I'm glad the kid ended up winning the entire tournament since I always respect losing to the guy who takes first place.

#8 Posted by DirrtyNinja (715 posts) -
A Zangief player won a tournament. Damn , doesnt say much for the other players.
#9 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -

Try performing a quick move e.g light kick/punch before doing the the two 360 pad rolls. This way you won't have to jump at your opponent.

#10 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -
DirrtyNinja said:
"A Zangief player won a tournament. Damn , doesnt say much for the other players.
"
That is what I thought and he probably would have lost if the really good Ryu player didn't lose the first round.  But he plowed through the Sagats winning each 3-2.  So it was close but in the end that Zangief kid was just ridiculous.  I asked why he picked Zangief in the end  and he said it was to compensate for not having an arcade stick and knowing that the quality of the kiosc controllers would be terrible.  If he had been allowed to use his stick I'm sure he would have picked someone else. 

The controllers at the tournament were pure garbage and he compensated for it.
#11 Posted by Meltbrain (2969 posts) -
ImpendingFoil said:
"DirrtyNinja said:
"A Zangief player won a tournament. Damn , doesnt say much for the other players.
"
That is what I thought and he probably would have lost if the really good Ryu player didn't lose the first round.  But he plowed through the Sagats winning each 3-2.  So it was close but in the end that Zangief kid was just ridiculous.  I asked why he picked Zangief in the end  and he said it was to compensate for not having an arcade stick and knowing that the quality of the kiosc controllers would be terrible.  If he had been allowed to use his stick I'm sure he would have picked someone else. 

The controllers at the tournament were pure garbage and he compensated for it."
That's a pretty smart move. Still though, you guys don't seem to think much of Zangief?  I've seen some absolutely ferocious Zangief players online, and he seems fairly popular on the lower end tournament scene too. That Jared Rae guy seems a big fan of Zangiefs.
#12 Posted by Serker (520 posts) -

easiest way to do it in my opinion is to focus attack and then punch in the ultra or super command while hes crumpled... zangief will still be in the focus animation so he wont respond to the jump command... also try and punch in the command if the other player is stupid enough to stand over you when youve been knocked down.

#13 Posted by Meltbrain (2969 posts) -
Serker said:
"easiest way to do it in my opinion is to focus attack and then punch in the ultra or super command while hes crumpled... zangief will still be in the focus animation so he wont respond to the jump command... also try and punch in the command if the other player is stupid enough to stand over you when youve been knocked down.
"
Good pointers dude, the general jist i'm getting from all of you is tha Zangief will pretty much always end up jumping unless you effectively combo the Ultra/Super in there right behind a move with a long animation. =P I'll definitely give that a try.
#14 Posted by TabooTongue (113 posts) -

I had (and still do have some) difficulty doing the Super\Ultra for Zangief but what works for me is to do the charge attack to at least lvl 2 then while Zangief is throwing his clothes-line to start circling.

#15 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

These are all helping me alot as well. Ever since SFII I've been an avid Zangief player. He's a great character, just watch his intro and outro animation for SFIV, and I love professional wrestling. While I've been able to hold my own just doing basic moves I really want to bust out his ultra on some of my buddies. I'm going to have to practice these tricks for pulling it off.

#16 Edited by TheSixthHorseman (96 posts) -
DirrtyNinja said:
"
Zangief is a top tier character in SFIV.

And to do his ultra/super, i don't know. I just do circles very quick and I have yet to jump by accident.
#17 Posted by DirrtyNinja (715 posts) -
TheSixthHorseman said:
"DirrtyNinja said:
"
Zangief is a top tier character in SFIV.

And to do his ultra/super, i don't know. I just do circles very quick and I have yet to jump by accident.
"
Maybe , but you only have to keep him at distance. Which is easily done.
#18 Posted by _samboy (4 posts) -
@Serker said:
" easiest way to do it in my opinion is to focus attack and then punch in the ultra or super command while hes crumpled... zangief will still be in the focus animation so he wont respond to the jump command... also try and punch in the command if the other player is stupid enough to stand over you when youve been knocked down. "
Thanks Serker, pretty much got it down for me..
I'm a beginner as well and have found that the best tactic to pickup and use is buffering your attacks - still a lot to learn though ...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.