DLC Gems on the Disc as well (Video)

#1 Edited by WebOfSomething (51 posts) -
#2 Posted by TooWalrus (12976 posts) -

*shrug*

#3 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

not surprised, but i dont really care either way, gems dont interest me at this point lol

#4 Posted by Jeff (3336 posts) -

Everything that shows up in a multiplayer match needs to be on both ends of the connection, even if one player hasn't paid for it. Would you rather everyone go download a bunch of compatibility packs (like Mortal Kombat) just to get online at all?

The larger problem is that some of the DLC gems are better than the default gems, which is something they said wouldn't be the case.

Staff
#5 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

I can understand why but they need to sell them earlier.

#6 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1543 posts) -

Capcom should just start selling the Taito card reader from those Vewlix cabinets with the game so they can sell you cards as well. Like Skylanders: CAPCPOM Edition.

#7 Edited by WebOfSomething (51 posts) -

@Jeff said:

The larger problem is that some of the DLC gems are better than the default gems, which is something they said wouldn't be the case.

That's my issue too I just wanted to show them. I understand why they're on the disc. Shitty title on my part I guess.

#8 Edited by Drakoji (216 posts) -

@Jeff: I see the point, and it's valid, but it's hard to not feel cheated by Capcom when you can prove with a little "hacking" that all thoses things are on the disk that I already paid for.

I don't know, maybe it's because I remember the days where finishing an arcade mode on a very hard setting would give me something special to show off to my friends, this on disc DLC give a really sour taste to the whole deal. If I pay for the disc, what they sell me is it's content no? Why can't I access all of the content that I already brought with the disk.

If MK forced you to download that content before letting you go in, with a sort of Checklist to be sure that everyone have that content on their hard drive. It's nothing new to players, I remember downloading a lot of things when I played Counter-Strike (like sound files or custom textures) before entering a server. I think it's just a lazy/safe way to justify their way to lock content and make easy money. And I know that a PC and a Xbox 360 is 2 platforms and they work nothing alike, but there's way I'm sure to make this all work and feel honest.

As you said, the Pac-Man and Megaman issue is really ridiculous. And they are on disk, people have been able to select them If I recall, people found files linked to Pac-Man and Megaman even on the 360 version...

Edit: I know it's a different medium, but if I would buy a book or a CD... people would freak out if they asked you to pay more to have the whole book/CD even if it's a spin-off of the main plot or a B-Side.

#9 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@Jeff said:

Everything that shows up in a multiplayer match needs to be on both ends of the connection, even if one player hasn't paid for it. Would you rather everyone go download a bunch of compatibility packs (like Mortal Kombat) just to get online at all?

I guess gems shouldn't matter (don't know what they are), but I can understand the complaint against DLC characters. If it was made before the games release, then why sell it? Sounds like a greedy way to make a quick buck IMO.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (13869 posts) -

@Drakoji said:

@Jeff: I see the point, and it's valid, but it's hard to not feel cheated by Capcom when you can prove with a little "hacking" that all thoses things are on the disk that I already paid for.

I don't know, maybe it's because I remember the days where finishing an arcade mode on a very hard setting would give me something special to show off to my friends, this on disc DLC give a really sour taste to the whole deal. If I pay for the disc, what they sell me is it's content no? Why can't I access all of the content that I already brought with the disk.

If MK forced you to download that content before letting you go in, with a sort of Checklist to be sure that everyone have that content on their hard drive. It's nothing new to players, I remember downloading a lot of things when I played Counter-Strike (like sound files or custom textures) before entering a server. I think it's just a lazy/safe way to justify their way to lock content and make easy money. And I know that a PC and a Xbox 360 is 2 platforms and they work nothing alike, but there's way I'm sure to make this all work and feel honest.

As you said, the Pac-Man and Megaman issue is really ridiculous. And they are on disk, people have been able to select them If I recall, people found files linked to Pac-Man and Megaman even on the 360 version...

Edit: I know it's a different medium, but if I would buy a book or a CD... people would freak out if they asked you to pay more to have the whole book/CD even if it's a spin-off of the main plot or a B-Side.

See, thats where your wrong. They are selling you a licence to a product called "Street Fighter x Tekken" they get to dictate what you get to access for that 60$ the disc is just the delivery method. Just because its on the disc doesn't mean you have the right to access it or paid to access it. And as Jeff said I'd rather they do this stuff this way for fighting games because Mortal Kombat got all sorts of fucked up. Once the DLC came out you had to actively search for rooms with people who HAD the DLC and spending 10 minutes trying to hunt out a room to play in was no goddamn fun.

#11 Posted by Demoskinos (13869 posts) -

@pw2566ch: I don't understand why people automatically assume Company trying to find ways to make money = evil. I mean... thats what companies do they make money they have in many cases share holders they report to if your not making money your a shitty fucking business. As long as they aren't being skeezy about WHAT your money is buying then theres no real problem. Sure, you could say its not in the spirit of the game but when it comes down to it the videogame industry is still at its core a business and things that make money take priority over everything else.

#12 Posted by hwy_61 (910 posts) -
@Demoskinos

@Drakoji said:

See, thats where your wrong. They are selling you a licence to a product called "Street Fighter x Tekken" they get to dictate what you get to access for that 60$ the disc is just the delivery method. Just because its on the disc doesn't mean you have the right to access it or paid to access it. And as Jeff said I'd rather they do this stuff this way for fighting games because Mortal Kombat got all sorts of fucked up. Once the DLC came out you had to actively search for rooms with people who HAD the DLC and spending 10 minutes trying to hunt out a room to play in was no goddamn fun.

Couldn't have put it better myself good sir!
#13 Edited by Drakoji (216 posts) -

@Demoskinos: I don't say it's evil, I say that it feels cheap and not honest. I know they have to make money, but if it's on disc, it means that it was made during the development process of the game, it's ready on launch right? They just try to milk their DLC service overtime, why release it with the vita release and not all at once? Because they would look reaaally bad to release DLC at Day-1 with all on disc DLC.

And I don't say it's illegal and they stole my money. But I still feel like they stole it. I know they are not in the wrong law wise, but it feels bad as a consumer to know that I gave them the full-price for a retail game, and they don't give me the full game. And like I said, for MK, forcing people to download the free content to make your game up to date with a checklist ran server side would have fixed that. There's way to fix that beside hidding content on the disk, it's just the easiest way to do so.

They can't make cheap cash-in like that and always justify it because the medium/platform cause problems.

If they still pull shit like that on the next generation of console, I'll flip my shit.

Sorry for my poor english, it's late here and I'm french canadian. I feel bad to be tied to Phil Fish. I like japanese games.

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (13869 posts) -

@Drakoji: Well all I can say is buckle up then. Cause like it or not the industry has changed. Either your ok with that or your not but its not going to go back at this point. If you don't feel its worth your money to invest then thats your call. I just don't see them quitting this anytime soon.

#15 Posted by Drakoji (216 posts) -

Well, I don't care if it's not on the disc, if it's on the disc it just feel wrong for me. I hate giving 5$ to see a 128kb download file...

#16 Edited by kindgineer (2486 posts) -

@Drakoji said:

Well, I don't care if it's not on the disc, if it's on the disc it just feel wrong for me. I hate giving 5$ to see a 128kb download file...

You sound like you're just stubborn on the topic when clearly information that severely disproves your opinion has been given. It doesn't make sense for people to think that they are entitled to the product on the discs when clearly it states such a thing in their EULA. They didn't have this kind of thing "back in the day" because DLC and the internet were not solid platforms like they are today. As much as the Gems are nothing special, putting DLC guest-fighters on disc enables an incredible headache to be avoided while also protecting people who have small hard drives from having to purchase a larger drive ($60+) just to play with the content they purchased.

It's a win-win scenario for both the consumer and the developers, really.

#17 Edited by HerbieBug (3844 posts) -

DLC gems improved versions of existing gems? Wow. Capcom doesn't care about their long term reputation anymore, huh? Short term cash grabby maneuvers with concentrated quantities of smarm.  
If you purchase that particular DLC, you are a fool. 

#18 Posted by StarvingGamer (7565 posts) -

I was totally prepared to give Capcom the benefit of the doubt when they said that DLC gems and on-disc gems would be balanced. What the fuck happened?

It's probably naive to hope that the DLC gems will eventually be released for free and that the pre-order "bonus" is simply a few weeks time. I can't wait to hear some official response from Capcom about this since they made such bold promises. Fuuuck.

#19 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

Good on Capcom for putting DLC on the disc. It's as off-putting as fuck to most people, but if it helps avert a Mortal Kombat-esque scenario of DLC incompatibility, then great. That shit was a nightmare and until consoles get to the point where games can be patched over 6MB's, then this is the reality we live in.

Shame on Capcom for planning on selling gems that imbalance that game for those who don't want to pony up extra money for a $60 game, especially considering that we were told this exact scenario wasn't going to happen by Capcom themselves.

#20 Posted by DarthOrange (3498 posts) -

This game is fun as hell in local multiplayer. That's all I wanted, so unbalanced game play be damned! Also I totally bought all the Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 dlc costumes. Guess what, I really enjoyed that game and had no problem paying for them and I would love for them to release more costumes.

@HerbieBug said:

DLC gems improved versions of existing gems? Wow. Capcom doesn't care about their long term reputation anymore, huh? Short term cash grabby maneuvers with concentrated quantities of smarm. If you purchase that particular DLC, you are a fool.

Don't like it, don't buy it, but don't insult your fellow gamers. Yo, video games are entertainment and are meant to be fun. Some of you people follow shit too closely and probably spend more time pissed off then having fun with video games. Just take a step back and, if it's not for you, walk away. All the anger is just going to lead to you getting cancer.

#21 Posted by psylah (2153 posts) -
@Jeff said:

Would you rather everyone go download a bunch of compatibility packs (like Mortal Kombat) just to get online at all?

I don't understand how this is such a nightmare scenario, when half of the time I boot up my 360 to play a game (which isn't often) I need to download a patch to connect to XBL while playing it. Same thing on the PS3, if the game has a patch and I haven't downloaded it, I am not permitted to play it online.  This HAPPENS ANYWAY. The Netherrealm guys just got it wrong.

It's more likely to me that Capcpom wants to double dip here. They want the benefits of selling their customers DLC, while not having to pay Microsoft or Sony the costs of uploading data.
#22 Posted by Drakoji (216 posts) -

@DarthOrange: He's right, you are buying power with real money, it will break the game online. No game should offer power for money it's poor game design and pure greed.

#23 Edited by StarvingGamer (7565 posts) -

@psylah said:

@Jeff said:

Would you rather everyone go download a bunch of compatibility packs (like Mortal Kombat) just to get online at all?

I don't understand how this is such a nightmare scenario, when half of the time I boot up my 360 to play a game (which isn't often) I need to download a patch to connect to XBL while playing it. Same thing on the PS3, if the game has a patch and I haven't downloaded it, I am not permitted to play it online. This HAPPENS ANYWAY. The Netherrealm guys just got it wrong. It's more likely to me that Capcpom wants to double dip here. They want the benefits of selling their customers DLC, while not having to pay Microsoft or Sony the costs of uploading data.

There are size limits for patches. The amount of data you would need to add a full DLC character would be drastically larger than what Microsoft would allow as a mandatory patch. Also what do you do about consoles that have no hard drive (as rare as that might be)? Both of these problems are completely avoided by putting a majority of the content on-disc before the game is released.

#24 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

@psylah said:

@Jeff said:

I don't understand how this is such a nightmare scenario, when half of the time I boot up my 360 to play a game (which isn't often) I need to download a patch to connect to XBL while playing it. Same thing on the PS3, if the game has a patch and I haven't downloaded it, I am not permitted to play it online. This HAPPENS ANYWAY. The Netherrealm guys just got it wrong. It's more likely to me that Capcpom wants to double dip here. They want the benefits of selling their customers DLC, while not having to pay Microsoft or Sony the costs of uploading data.

Yeah MK wasn't that bad and they could have handled it better.

Getting free additional costumes wasn't bad and they could have just locked people out of ranked online matchmaking until they downloaded those free packs, pretty sure Halo 3 did that.

#25 Posted by psylah (2153 posts) -
@StarvingGamer said:

@psylah said:

@Jeff said:

There are size limits for patches. The amount of data you would need to add a full DLC character would be drastically larger than what Microsoft would allow as a mandatory patch. Also what do you do about consoles that have no hard drive (as rare as that might be)? Both of these problems are completely avoided by putting a majority of the content on-disc before the game is released.

You're just making me equally as upset with Microsoft... what is the size limit on their patches? And why is there a size limit on  patches for a network whose system has a paying userbase? Perhaps these are questions probably best posited on a different board...
#26 Posted by StarvingGamer (7565 posts) -

@psylah: I want to say 4MB? And I'm sure one of the reasons for the limit, at least retroactively, is because of the Arcade which has no hard drive and only... 256MB flash storage? Something like that.

#27 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@pw2566ch: I don't understand why people automatically assume Company trying to find ways to make money = evil. I mean... thats what companies do they make money they have in many cases share holders they report to if your not making money your a shitty fucking business. As long as they aren't being skeezy about WHAT your money is buying then theres no real problem. Sure, you could say its not in the spirit of the game but when it comes down to it the videogame industry is still at its core a business and things that make money take priority over everything else.

Sure, they have to answer to shareholders. just like how I answer to my wallet. Do you honestly think that I'll just stop and realize "hey, they're a business. So they have every right to profit off of my stupidity"? I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way when it comes to me as a customer. I have every right to say that this is a shitty way to make money and I have every right to convince people to not buy the game.

To say that it's just business is a crappy excuse.

#28 Posted by Demoskinos (13869 posts) -
@pw2566ch Its not an excuse its reality. Either embrace it or don't but it wont change either way.
#29 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@pw2566ch Its not an excuse its reality. Either embrace it or don't but it wont change either way.

Then companies will need to start understanding that if they keep this up, that there will be angry customers. And where will you be? On the forums saying "It's business. Blah blah blah shareholders. Yap yap yap stocks".

Talk to me when you get your manhood back from these dick companies. Till then, I'll be playing indie games on Steam. You know, where they don't try to rape me.

#30 Posted by HerbieBug (3844 posts) -
@DarthOrange said:

This game is fun as hell in local multiplayer. That's all I wanted, so unbalanced game play be damned! Also I totally bought all the Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 dlc costumes. Guess what, I really enjoyed that game and had no problem paying for them and I would love for them to release more costumes.

@HerbieBug said:

DLC gems improved versions of existing gems? Wow. Capcom doesn't care about their long term reputation anymore, huh? Short term cash grabby maneuvers with concentrated quantities of smarm. If you purchase that particular DLC, you are a fool.

Don't like it, don't buy it, but don't insult your fellow gamers. Yo, video games are entertainment and are meant to be fun. Some of you people follow shit too closely and probably spend more time pissed off then having fun with video games. Just take a step back and, if it's not for you, walk away. All the anger is just going to lead to you getting cancer.

Anger?  Please don't assign an emotional quality to my original post that was not intended.   I have no vested interest in this game.  I did not buy it. 

I didn't mean to say that people who wish to get a leg-up on their competition by paying extra are fools.  I am saying that if you purchase this DLC, you are sending a message to Capcom that you endorse a pay-to-win product, which I believe is a foolish thing to do if you care at all about the integrity of competitive gaming. 
#31 Posted by Demoskinos (13869 posts) -
@pw2566ch Yeah, cause I don't get bent out of shape over petty things. The game I bought on the disc I'm happy with so what does it matter that there is DLC?
#32 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@pw2566ch Yeah, cause I don't get bent out of shape over petty things. The game I bought on the disc I'm happy with so what does it matter that there is DLC?

You're getting bent out of shape right now and apparently this is a petty argument. So your argument is invalid.

Anyway, im going to be over here playing games that matter by companies that rely on caring about their customers instead of shareholders.

#33 Posted by Demoskinos (13869 posts) -

@pw2566ch: Not getting bent out of shape over anything just responding to a post. Thats what ya do on a forum.

#34 Edited by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Here's my opinion of people bitching about this sort of stuff even though they weren't going to buy the game anyway because they don't play fighting games.

#35 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@pw2566ch: Not getting bent out of shape over anything just responding to a post. Thats what ya do on a forum.

You Americans baffle me sometimes.

#36 Edited by chrissedoff (2041 posts) -

If what Jeff said about DLC gems being better than the regular ones is true, then I sure am glad I haven't bought this game yet.

#37 Posted by DarthOrange (3498 posts) -

@HerbieBug said:

@DarthOrange said:

@HerbieBug said:

Anger? Please don't assign an emotional quality to my original post that was not intended. I have no vested interest in this game. I did not buy it. I didn't mean to say that people who wish to get a leg-up on their competition by paying extra are fools. I am saying that if you purchase this DLC, you are sending a message to Capcom that you endorse a pay-to-win product, which I believe is a foolish thing to do if you care at all about the integrity of competitive gaming.

I said some people follow things too closely, no need to be defensive. What are you doing on the Street Fighter X Tekken forum if you don't have the game and (appear) to not want it? Did you hope to convince some people not to buy this game as a way of sticking it to the man?

Your like that student that got so angry at his teacher he popped a blood in class and died. And the pictures for that were gruesome. Don't look at them if you are faint of heart!

#38 Edited by handlas (2546 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.