Electric Wind God Fist Tutorial

Posted by lordofultima (6230 posts) -

Capcom doesn't want you to know, but the secret is out. Electric Wind God Fist exists in Street Fighter X Tekken. No really, they didn't even put it in the command list or the strategy guide.

The Input

While it looks identical to the normal Rising Uppercut follow-up from the Mist Step, the EWGF is a just-frame, meaning that the down/forward input must be hit simultaneously with MP or HP. No way around it, this move is pretty difficult to do consistently. But when you practice to efficiency, it has its benefits. EGWF is not a move cancelled from Mist Step, like Rising Upper. Because of this, you need a proper forward input, you cannot substitute for down/forward. You can shorten the input by removing the down input:

This will ease the use of the player 1 side input. It also prevents accidental Mist Stepping, since Mist Step requires proper Down input. This input allows piano/plinking methods to increase the chances of success, since an EX Rising Upper will not some out by skipping down (since EX Rising has to be cancelled from Mist Step).

The Data

MoveHit LevelDamageStartupActiveRecoveryHit Adv.Block Adv.Notes
Rising UpperHigh709f2f21fFloat-1Upper Body Invulnerability 1-10f
EX RisingHigh807f2f19fFloat+1Full Upper Body Invulnerability, Lower Body Crushes Stand Attacks 1-8f
EWGFHigh1007f2f19fFloat+1Full Upper Body Invulnerability, Lower Body Crushes Stand Attacks 1-8f

Other Differences from Rising Upper:

• Purple electricity instead of blue
  • Different sound on whiff, hit, and block
  • Juggle doesn't send opponent as far horizontally
  • Pushes back further on block

Applications

The applications are obvious, but they include any instance where a Mist Step/Rising Upper would be used:

• Anti-air (fairly invincible)
  • Counter Standing Pokes
  • Step under Projectiles
  • Hit-Confirm into high damage
  • Switch Cancel to your teammate

In Closing

I'm sure this just scratches the surface on EWGF, and more sick technology using it will be exposed in the near future of Street Fighter X Tekken. That said, this should be a pretty good starting point. If you want the execution tips, you have to watch the video. Kinda hard to explain it here in text form.

Music is "Nebulosa" by DJ Cam Quartet, off their 2009 release "Diggin'". Special thanks to Rebellijin1 for his Wavedash Lesson, and SRK Kazuya forums for alerting me to EWGF's presence in SFxTK. Hope you guys get something out of it, lemme know what you think. If you like this tutorial make sure you check out my youtube channel.

#1 Edited by lordofultima (6230 posts) -

Capcom doesn't want you to know, but the secret is out. Electric Wind God Fist exists in Street Fighter X Tekken. No really, they didn't even put it in the command list or the strategy guide.

The Input

While it looks identical to the normal Rising Uppercut follow-up from the Mist Step, the EWGF is a just-frame, meaning that the down/forward input must be hit simultaneously with MP or HP. No way around it, this move is pretty difficult to do consistently. But when you practice to efficiency, it has its benefits. EGWF is not a move cancelled from Mist Step, like Rising Upper. Because of this, you need a proper forward input, you cannot substitute for down/forward. You can shorten the input by removing the down input:

This will ease the use of the player 1 side input. It also prevents accidental Mist Stepping, since Mist Step requires proper Down input. This input allows piano/plinking methods to increase the chances of success, since an EX Rising Upper will not some out by skipping down (since EX Rising has to be cancelled from Mist Step).

The Data

MoveHit LevelDamageStartupActiveRecoveryHit Adv.Block Adv.Notes
Rising UpperHigh709f2f21fFloat-1Upper Body Invulnerability 1-10f
EX RisingHigh807f2f19fFloat+1Full Upper Body Invulnerability, Lower Body Crushes Stand Attacks 1-8f
EWGFHigh1007f2f19fFloat+1Full Upper Body Invulnerability, Lower Body Crushes Stand Attacks 1-8f

Other Differences from Rising Upper:

• Purple electricity instead of blue
  • Different sound on whiff, hit, and block
  • Juggle doesn't send opponent as far horizontally
  • Pushes back further on block

Applications

The applications are obvious, but they include any instance where a Mist Step/Rising Upper would be used:

• Anti-air (fairly invincible)
  • Counter Standing Pokes
  • Step under Projectiles
  • Hit-Confirm into high damage
  • Switch Cancel to your teammate

In Closing

I'm sure this just scratches the surface on EWGF, and more sick technology using it will be exposed in the near future of Street Fighter X Tekken. That said, this should be a pretty good starting point. If you want the execution tips, you have to watch the video. Kinda hard to explain it here in text form.

Music is "Nebulosa" by DJ Cam Quartet, off their 2009 release "Diggin'". Special thanks to Rebellijin1 for his Wavedash Lesson, and SRK Kazuya forums for alerting me to EWGF's presence in SFxTK. Hope you guys get something out of it, lemme know what you think. If you like this tutorial make sure you check out my youtube channel.

#2 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

Wow that seems strange that they don't mention it in any of the move lists, and that it seems better then the other attacks,

#3 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -

ELECTRIC

#4 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

GDLK.

#5 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

Nice post

#6 Edited by TechHits (1377 posts) -

Love it. I can't help but wonder if EWGF not included in the move list because it's so hard to explain how to do it in text form.

@lordofultima: Also this may be a stupid question but have you tried doing a EX EWGF, or does a ex raising upper come out?

#7 Edited by lordofultima (6230 posts) -

@TechHits: even if you hit mp+hp on the just frame, ewgf normal will still come out. If you mess up the timing then just ex rising comes out. an ex version would be another level of crazy.

#8 Posted by TechHits (1377 posts) -

@lordofultima: Awe to bad, at least it doesn't burn the meter anyhow.

#9 Edited by lordofultima (6230 posts) -

Apologies for pulling the video, a couple factual inaccuracies I wanted to change, they were eating me alive. If you create stuff you know how it is. New version is up, now with 100% less being wrong. In case you're wondering what I changed:

• Electric does NOT need a down input, but it does need a forward input. It is not mist step, it is technically separate from mist step. (unlike rising)
  • Updated the crouching cancel to reflect that you must hit clean forward. New method as suggested by user, works well.
#10 Posted by leroyrockwell (49 posts) -

@lordofultima: As always you are scholar and a saint. Thanks for this and all your tutorial videos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.