Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter X Tekken

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

The two leaders in the fighting game genre collide in this ultimate tag-team mash-up. Will you cross the line?

For anyone who has it... online netcode... how is it?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

I've heard all kinds of terrible about the SFxT netcode. Had a few people tell me that they had yet to find a playable match. So people of the interwebs how is it? I've got about 4 hours to decide if I wanna buy this. Currently at work (WalMart) and was going to pick it up as I left possibly... just wanna be convinced the online isn't garbage as I'm hearing.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By jimi

This is relevant to my interests, netcode can make or break a fighting game for me. Don't want MK all over again.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By musubi

Nobody? =(

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BisonHero

Give it a day or two. It just came out, plus everybody is still busy playing Mass Effect 3 for 72 hours straight without sleeping.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By handlas

...find out tonight!

I think it was IGN that said the online runs good. And then I watched the Gamespot review and they said the complete opposite. Funny.

I never had an issues with SF4 so I don't see why this would be much different...right?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By musubi
    @handlas Yeah...you would think. I've heard opinions all over the place. Which is the confusing thing.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

To me it seems like it's around the same level as Super 4. When playing with another player with a good connection, it's fine. When playing with another player with a bad connection, there is button lag.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By handlas

well i did no online matches tonight. Sorries. Singleplayer runs smooth as a baby's butt tho!.....of course....

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By MrMazz

So far its solid when your both on White level connections things are pretty sweet. When there is lag though the sound cuts out and i'm not sure if thats a bug or if thats just a way to compensate for the lag or something.

Still if you play someone with a good connections its great if your on white and they are red its pretty crap but what would you expect.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

Why can't more games use BlazBlue's netcode? From what I remember, that thing ran amazing no matter what connection you found. Maybe I'm just waxing "nostalgic" or something on that and it was worse than I could've imagined, but I remember it being solid.

Either way, I'm interested to know how the SFXT netcode is as well.

FulgoreSenpai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By FulgoreSenpai

Ya its like SF4's netcode, meaning it has nothing on SCV's netcode. It has sound issues right now, like how when you are fighting somebody online you can hear thier moves but you can here your own. Its pretty annoying but they are working to fix it. I only felt slow down when I played scramble mode with 3+ people. It's really early so it'll only get better.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By toowalrus

It.can be laggy if the opponents connection is bad, but unlike the previous incarnations of SF I've yet to run into a "cannot connect to lobby" error. Every time you hit "find match", it fuckin finds one.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel

I'll let you know as soon as I manage to actually get into a match. I couldn't find anyone to play in ranked.

StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StrawHatLaw13

I watched my friend play a few rounds online tonight on the 360. The most notable issue was sound cutting off, where it was the characters voices or the sound of you getting hit, etc. So there is that. Aside from that the connection was good. Occasional lag matches, but for the most part okay.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@FulgoreSenpai said:

It has sound issues right now, like how when you are fighting somebody online you can hear thier moves but you can here your own.

Yeah- along with these sound issues, the general consensus I've seen on the netcode hasn't been too good so far.

IGN are actually the only ones I've seen speaking positively on the netcode so far- that and a few of the posters in here. :P

BUT...

@FulgoreSenpai said:

Ya its like SF4's netcode

Do you mean just from your personal experience- or can you tell how similar SFxT's netcode is to SF4's? :P

Cause unless Capcom blatantly lied to us earlier...

http://shoryuken.com/2011/11/08/street-fighter-x-tekkens-netcode-is-brand-new-no-super-sfxt-discs/

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/12/ono-sfxtekken-uses-new-netcode-dont-expect-a-super-version/

SFxT's netcode is supposed to be brand new. >_>

But that's just me being nitpicky- take it how you will. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a few endless battles on PSN and had no problems with it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#17  Edited By StarvingGamer

I played a total of one match against a friend and it seemed like typical fighting game netcode.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Sooty

Maximilian thinks it's better than SFIV. It's definitely different.

FulgoreSenpai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FulgoreSenpai

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka: Its just from personal experience. actually its been way worse today.

as far as it being new netcode, Its definitely not better :(

I wanna like this game so bad but the online is preventing me. I went back to A.E. and had no problems so I know its not my connection.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Commisar123

Its been pretty good for me so far, but the strange audio issue is pretty awful and I hope they fix it soon

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@FulgoreSenpai said:

I wanna like this game so bad but the online is preventing me. I went back to A.E. and had no problems so I know its not my connection.

It's a fighting game on release date, I'm sure they will fix it soon so it's as good as A.E.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By AndrewJD

@Commisar123 said:

Its been pretty good for me so far, but the strange audio issue is pretty awful and I hope they fix it soon

The sound problem is really terrible yes, I've had it in every game so far. Also my connection has been uniformly bad against anyone and I know it isn't my end so I'm not sure what to make of it. Just going to play through the trials and stuff and hope they fix it I guess......

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By MysteriousBob

@jakob187 said:

Why can't more games use BlazBlue's netcode? From what I remember, that thing ran amazing no matter what connection you found. Maybe I'm just waxing "nostalgic" or something on that and it was worse than I could've imagined, but I remember it being solid.

Third Strike Online Edition and Soul Calibur V set the benchmark.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VicRattlehead

did they move away from the list of people from sf4? or is it hit ranked and it searches a game for you and dumps you in like in marvel 3?

bunnypot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bunnypot

Sit down and let me school you duders.

It's currently using GGPO which is 'better'. By better it means that a fair match can still be had on a laggy connection by doing intermittent rollbacks. the fighting game community has been fighting for years to get this implemented in the latest capcom games because if you want to talk about unplayable matches, the online lag from SFIV uses a slow down technique.

Now If I'm in offline mode and I've got a character with very delicate timing. A frame slowdown would let me completely drop my links.

GGPO means that I can use the same timing as if I were offline. But they have not let it degrade gracefully which makes system look really clunky and shit, Implemented in skullgirls and SF 3rd Strike it's implemented a lot better with the tearing not so obvious because.. y'know. the sound doesn't cut out randomly.

Matches run fine and I'm in Australia, where the internet is upside-down and I've been able to hit my crispy Lili links. Try it out at a friends house first and see if it's too bad for you.

GGPO is made by fighting game fans and I'm happy it's finally there.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Xeiphyer

Its definitely a lot worse than SFIV/SSFIV. 

My group of people I play fighting games with is pretty spread out, so when the netcode is sub par, its extremely noticeable. Even playing with people in the USA (From Canada, close to border, Calgary specifically), its sometimes choppy. 

Hopefully its just servers needing to be smoothed out and all that. It is the launch of an online focused title, and there's always problems. Hopefully they fix it soon though, I really wanna play the game properly.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Syndrom

Capcom is looking to improve Street Fighter x Tekken's online play, which fans have reported suffers from sound issues.

The Japanese company explained these problems were the result of the game's netcode, which is completely different to Street Fighter 4's.

"The new netcode implemented in Street Fighter X Tekken allows for up to four players to have a smooth online experience, however depending on the connection stability between players, things like 'spontaneous match rollback,' 'voice effects cutting out,' and 'sound effects cutting out' also are occurring," assistant producer Tomoaki Ayano said.

"This netcode is written in a completely different way than the Street Fighter 4 series netcode, and that is why these problems are occurring.

"As Street Fighter X Tekken is a tag battle game, the amount of data that is exchanged between player connections is a lot more than the normal 1v1 battles of the Street Fighter IV series. In order to compensate for this and provide a smooth gameplay experience, the netcode was written the way it currently is. Unfortunately, this has also brought on the sound problems we are having now.

"In order to completely fix all the sound issues, the smoothness of the online gameplay has to be traded off, so it is a very complicated and difficult balancing act. We would like everyone to know that the development team is currently looking at various ways to improve the sound issues."

Ayano promised an update soon. "Thank you all for your understanding," he said.

Fans seem unconvinced, however, with some claiming the crossover fighting game is unplayable on both PS3 and Xbox 360 online.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-09-capcom-looking-to-improve-street-fighter-x-tekken-online-sound-problems

This all sounds pretty bad, so in order to fix the sound issues they have to tamper with the online smoothness, lol.

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bravestar

it's worse than SSFIV netcode. I'm not surprised if they use GGPO, because in my experience GGPO is worse than the SSFIV netcode. yeah yeah offline timing inputs, whatever, I'd rather have consistent delay(you just have to play with some foresight), than a match slowing down and speeding up randomly.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By yates

@Kuraform said:

Sit down and let me school you duders.

It's currently using GGPO which is 'better'. By better it means that a fair match can still be had on a laggy connection by doing intermittent rollbacks. the fighting game community has been fighting for years to get this implemented in the latest capcom games because if you want to talk about unplayable matches, the online lag from SFIV uses a slow down technique.

Now If I'm in offline mode and I've got a character with very delicate timing. A frame slowdown would let me completely drop my links.

GGPO means that I can use the same timing as if I were offline. But they have not let it degrade gracefully which makes system look really clunky and shit, Implemented in skullgirls and SF 3rd Strike it's implemented a lot better with the tearing not so obvious because.. y'know. the sound doesn't cut out randomly.

Matches run fine and I'm in Australia, where the internet is upside-down and I've been able to hit my crispy Lili links. Try it out at a friends house first and see if it's too bad for you.

GGPO is made by fighting game fans and I'm happy it's finally there.

I don't think it's actually GGPO, it's just a similar technology. I could be wrong though, but I haven't seen anywhere stating that it is GGPO.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By lordofultima

@MysteriousBob said:

@jakob187 said:

Third Strike Online Edition and Soul Calibur V set the benchmark.

I'd say BlazBlue is the benchmark. No fighting game online ever been as good as that.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By AndrewJD

@VicRattlehead said:

did they move away from the list of people from sf4? or is it hit ranked and it searches a game for you and dumps you in like in marvel 3?

Yeah it just automatically selects one for you, no list which is annoying. I'd be fine with it if I could play a match which doesn't lag and the sound doesn't freak out on me though ;(

Korosuzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Korosuzo

I thought it was way worse than SF4. Out of 16 matches I can't remember one that wasn't fucked. Not just sound but blocking and getting hit straight up and other nonsense. Feels awful and I'm really upset b/c SF4 is my most played game on Xbox 360 over the past few years and I was really hoping this would be my new "go to" fighting game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.