Giant Bomb Review?

#1 Posted by therepublicanguy (87 posts) -

Hey guys!

Since I am in Kuwait, I have not had the opportunity to play SFXT yet. Reviews across the community do not go into enough detail regarding balance, control scheme, and replayability. How is it for you guys? Will this game have long term replayability in tournaments like EVO? Most importantly, is Giant Bomb doing a review? Thanks for the help!

#2 Posted by Bestostero (2750 posts) -

I've wondered that myself, I'm sure GiantBomb will do a quick look or review eventually... at least i hope so...

looking at the reviews tab, only one user posted their own review of the game so far... personally i cant really give a decent review since i havent played through much of it yet...but i really enjoy it so far.

#3 Posted by Solh0und (1850 posts) -

I think Jeff might hold off a bit before reviewing it because of the online sound issues and GDC occupying his time.

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (19069 posts) -

@Solh0und said:

I think Jeff might hold off a bit before reviewing it because of the online sound issues and GDC occupying his time.

That and his family thing he had to take care of as well.

#5 Posted by therepublicanguy (87 posts) -

Besides online connectivity, how is the gameplay? Is the gameplay solid with balanced characters, interesting additions, reminiscent of CvS2 (Capcom vs. SNK 2) but creating its own identity as well?

#6 Posted by mrburger (103 posts) -

Been playing kind of non-stop for the past few days (even bought ME3, but only played for a couple hours before coming back to SFxT). This Cross roster is to me both interesting and puzzling. Street Fighter without Blanka? Tekken without Jack? Still, the characters they did bring in are tight, dynamic fits for the hyperactive SF style of play, and balance-wise some of them seem like they shouldn't succeed half as well as they do. Kuma, for instance, was always for me kind of an off-puttingly cumbersome character to use back in my Tekken days, and plus beyond being a bear he had no real personality to set him apart; but here in SFxT he's got some great new speedy moves, and this hilarious combination of mania and sass that gives him a thousand times more charm than he's ever had before. Ten years from now I think this whole locked on-disc content, DLC-heavy business trend will have evolved so dramatically that what SFxT is doing right now will seem like small potatoes. And if there's any justice in the gaming world, this title will instead be remembered for doing one really difficult thing well: merging the fighting styles of two stylistically different fighting games into a brightly polished, deeply engaging, and purely likable package.

#7 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

@therepublicanguy said:

Hey guys!

Since I am in Kuwait, I have not had the opportunity to play SFXT yet. Reviews across the community do not go into enough detail regarding balance, control scheme, and replayability. How is it for you guys? Will this game have long term replayability in tournaments like EVO? Most importantly, is Giant Bomb doing a review? Thanks for the help!

For questions that actually require some in-depth knowledge of the genre, you'd probably be better off looking for opinions on a dedicated site. Jeff plays some fighting games, but none of the staff really know very much about them.

I know I'm being "that guy", but it's cringe-worthy when they're trying to talk mechanics and/or balance and have literally no idea what they are talking about.

#8 Posted by BBQBram (2294 posts) -

@GetEveryone: Well to be fair, they'd be the first to admit that, and their comments never really go beyond "the balance was changed in version X and the community seems to feel..." etc.

#9 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1247 posts) -

Jeff might review it. I think the gems would totally mess up the balances and tiers.

#10 Posted by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

@therepublicanguy said:

Besides online connectivity, how is the gameplay? Is the gameplay solid with balanced characters, interesting additions, reminiscent of CvS2 (Capcom vs. SNK 2) but creating its own identity as well?

So far the engine seems very solid with a lot of room for creativity. Balance-wise, I think it's a bit premature to say since new tech is being continually discovered and that's likely to continue for a very long time. I will say that some of the Tekken characters did not translate well, Xiaoyu and Kuma spring to mind, as they have very limited range. Also Zangief seems to have an advantageous match-up against the entire Tekken cast, I have yet to see a convincing answer for his standing strong.

But like I said, it's too early to really say how balanced the game is. Some of the damage is obscene, especially when boosted by gems. You gain meter at a really high rate, and I've seen some characters like Kazuya do 50% damage with just one meter. Yes, the game is reminiscent of CvS2, but it really is its own beast. The game is incredibly fun and challenging, and the complex combo system means there is a high skill ceiling for execution. As an overall fighting game enthusiast and proud member of the FGC, I think this game is going to have some long legs.

#11 Posted by Agent47 (1892 posts) -

@therepublicanguy said:

balanced characters

regarding balance

I think it's still too early to judge something like that.Like most people who made streams the first week "It will be fun for a month then people will start to find the bullshit." I think it's too good to be true right now.There has to be major exploits just waiting to be found.

#12 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

With how they didn't do much to fighting games recently, I don't see a review from GB unless it has MK on it.
Personally, it plays fine so far.

#13 Posted by Bravestar (382 posts) -

my first impression and the one thing I heard from other people is: it's weird.

I think people will keep playing it for quite some time and it seems like a really well made and fun fighting game. but I'm not feelin it. this is only my opinion, but imagine if every character in SSF4 was as strong as 2011 yun. it kinda feels like that. it's hard to describe. it's weird.

#14 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Jeff said in the Gamespot video that he's halfway through writing the review, but the acquisition of GB by CBS pulled him away. He'll finish it up and post it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.