Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter X Tekken

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

The two leaders in the fighting game genre collide in this ultimate tag-team mash-up. Will you cross the line?

How similar does this feel to Street Fighter 4?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I am thinking about getting the game but I don't want a game that feels like SF4. How do the SF characters feel in comparison to SF4? All there animations and character models are ripped from that game. Strangely the Tekken characters look super fun while the SF characters look boring.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By nohthink

@ImmortalSaiyan:

I'm not an expert. Let's get that out of the way first.

Control wise, it's still pretty similar(at least most of the SF characters are). I use Cammy(because she's the best) and all her moves and combos are pretty much the same. The differences would be in EX moves and Ultra combo but not because the buttons are different but because it sort of has different functions. Tekken characters, however, have different moves. Some of them do have similar moves but Jin and Kazuya, for example, require this step thingy before you do any combo, which is why I don't play as them.

You got your quarter circle forward/backward + punch/kick and all three punch and kick things. It's all there. Pretty beginner friendly(like me).

There is also a pretty good tutorial when you first put the disc. I recommend go through them. And if you don't have a fight stick, I recommend getting rid of quick combos on your RS and LS.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bestostero

Truthfully, i almost want to say Capcom got away with another ultimate edition...i say that because it does feel a lot like AE with new tekken characters added and they took away some sf characters and took away all the fun stages.... not to mention the dlc drama...

regardless, i do like the game and i feel like it was a good purchase...

ezio_auditore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ezio_auditore

capcom made the game, obviously its more like SF4, the graphic style is similar, but the gameplay is flesh and diferent, i dont kwon if the tekken fans would like it.

I am a SF Fan, i have not played the game, but it looks great.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

I spent the past ten years working in the media world, using it to gather intelligence on you. I found partners who hated you and your friends as much as I did. But most imporantly, I studied the martial arts of three continents, so that one day, I could meet you, avenge my father... and end your reign of terror myself.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

I'd say that the SF characters look more or less like we'd expect at this point, but the gameplay isn't SFIV. SFIV/SSFIV-specific mechanics like focus attacks are gone and replaced with new gameplay concepts, both for individual fighters and as teams. It does feel more like SSFIV than MvC3, but that's because this is a SF team-developed game.

That being said, while the SF characters do play like their SFIV selves on the basic level, the Tekken characters, who make up half the roster, are very unique. Most of the Tekken characters don't have any projectiles to speak of, but they have specials that are very influenced by their moves from their home series. If there's any reason why the Tekken characters look more fun than the SF characters, it's probably because we've never really seen Tekken characters in a game of this format before. And while the Tekken characters do have moves that are based on traditional SF inputs, they don't feel like SF characters at all.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Hailinel: Exactly, the Tekken characters look super unique, which is why the SF character stand out as plain to me. I know what they plan like. I kinda wish that the whole game was just capcoms take on Tekken. I may not think that if I were to play it however.

@NTM: What are you referring to?

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bestostero

@NTM said:

I spent the past ten years working in the media world, using it to gather intelligence on you. I found partners who hated you and your friends as much as I did. But most imporantly, I studied the martial arts of three continents, so that one day, I could meet you, avenge my father... and end your reign of terror myself.

Who is Chun Li?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hailinel

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel: Exactly, the Tekken characters look super unique, which is why the SF character stand out as plain to me. I know what they plan like. I kinda wish that the whole game was just capcoms take on Tekken. I may not think that if I were to play it however.

I know what you mean. But personally, I've been focusing most of my attention on Poison and Hugo, two of the few SF characters that weren't in SFIV. I want to learn at least some of the Tekken characters, but I'm not sure which ones. I'm partial to playing Asuka in Tekken, but of course, any skills i have at Tekken have no bearing on my ability to play her in this game.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Bestostero said:

@NTM said:

Who is Chun Li?

I want you to send Bison a message. Tell him the schoolgirl's grown up.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bestostero

@NTM: yay i won... i actually saw that movie today... it didn't get better lol

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NTM

@Bestostero: I just quoted two different films though.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bestostero

@NTM said:

@Bestostero: I just quoted two different films though.

But they were both Chun Li and they were both...bad films...lol

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Sooty

Feels very different to SFIV, similar move lists aside.

It's also going to have horrible balance. I'm just going to say this right now, if I'm wrong then I'll eat an egg. Trust me. Most of the Tekken characters can not do ANYTHING against people jumping in, Rufus will roflstomp 90% of the Tekken characters with his dive kicks, even Kazuya who is thought to be the the best Tekken character in the game (yep it's early, but spend an hour playing him and you'll see he'll be top tier) can not do shit against dive kick pressure. It's ridiculous, they basically decided to not give most of the Tekken characters any viable anti-airs...the game turns into Super Mario Bros with you being able to jump all day long against the majority of the Tekken cast. Kazuya and Lili can anti-air you if you jump from a distance (note: Kazuya's cr.hp gets beaten clean by many moves however), but if you jump from a close position they are both powerless. A few of them can anti-air, but they have to spend EX meter to do it, unlike most of the SF cast who can just anti-air for free.

My advice, pick a character that has an uppercut like Sagat, Ken or Ryu. Or just pick Rufus and enjoy great damage, braindead easy combos and free dive kick pressure that Tekken characters can do nothing against, Rufus in this game is a whole different beast, Ryu is also insane.

Rant over.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Sooty: If all the Tekken characters are at a disadvantage as you say, that is a bummer. I assumed they would be given DP equivalent moves. Why do you say you will eat a egg as if that were a bad thing? Eggs are tasty, healthy and versatile.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sooty

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Sooty: If all the Tekken characters are at a disadvantage as you say, that is a bummer. I assumed they would be given DP equivalent moves. Why do you say you will eat a egg as if that were a bad thing? Eggs are tasty, healthy and versatile.

Kazuya is a beast, but like most of them he suffers from the anti-air problem, he has one option for close jumps but like I say it trades or gets beaten cleanly with a lot of jump-in attacks. He can do his mist step (it's like a dash) and cancel into an uppercut which works great...but due to the command it's pretty much impossible to use this if they jump in when close to you. Works alright for people jumping in from further away so he's definitely one of the better characters in that regard. I'm not just being stroppy here either, I've been reading on SRK that the general consensus is that the Tekken characters have ass anti-airs and just get demolished by lots of jumping, most of them really can't do anything. Then you have characters like Ryu who are stronger than ever with a tool for every situation.

If the top tier characters aren't 90% Street Fighter my jaw will hit the floor in shock. Kazuya is definitely really good though, he has an infinite combo, high damage, overhead mix ups that lead to full combos, invincible (from the top) wave dash that when cancelled into one of his moves is safe on block, actually a lot of his stuff is safe on block meaning great pressure and he can actually anti-air a little bit.

and about the egg thing I think that's what Tested had to do when they made a wild guess about something but were then wrong!

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By MrMazz

IT feels a lot different than SF4. Its quicker at the moment less defensive. Kind of reminds me of SF3 with the Tekken characters and a couple of SF characters.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BisonHero

@Bestostero said:

@NTM said:

Who is Chun Li?

No Caption Provided
    BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@Sooty: Rufus was a beast in SF4 as well

Juri/Rufus shall never be beaten

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sooty

@BlatantNinja23 said:

@Sooty: Rufus was a beast in SF4 as well

Juri/Rufus shall never be beaten

True but in this game his combos are easier, extra damaging and his dive kick is waaaaaaaaaay more effective. God damn it Capcom.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel

Has Capcom said anything about balance patching the game?

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Commisar123

Its a lot faster has tag commands and simpler inputs

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By PixelPrinny

Well, having spent a good amount of time with a number of characters, the answer is really "yes and no"... some characters, like Ryu or Ken, feel nearly identical to their SFIV versions with a few tweaks and minor changes to link timing. On the other hand, characters like Chun Li and Abel feel completely different even if their move-sets are basically the same. Chun Li, one of my mains in IV just feels so weird now that I don't even use her. I'm sure she can be great... but I found it easier for me to learn an entirely new character over trying to adjust to her new move timing and play-style.

I think the real stand out SF character, for me, has been Vega, who is a complete beast now. I absolutely love the changes they've made to him, letting him combo into his aerial moves and super so easily while retaining his great pokes from IV.

Soooo to answer your question... the game mechanics are certainly a lot different with the addition of chains and tags, and the whole game feels faster; but quite a number of SF characters do feel similar (while others dont)... I'd say give it a rent or play it at a friends if you're still on the fence about getting it, if possible.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@PixelPrinny said:

I think the real stand out SF character, for me, has been Vega, who is a complete beast now. I absolutely love the changes they've made to him, letting him combo into his aerial moves and super so easily while retaining his great pokes from IV.

This is true. I have been on the receiving end of her Vega-style pummelings. Though, there was one match tonight where I managed to win and score a Perfect in the final round while she was using Vega, though I think she must have set the controller down so that she could restock on whup-ass after she used up so many cans on me.

(Did I just make a can of whup-ass reference in 2012? Yes, I did. And it fits, because she was beating me six ways to Sunday. :P)

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By PixelPrinny

@Hailinel said:

@PixelPrinny said:

This is true. I have been on the receiving end of her Vega-style pummelings. Though, there was one match tonight where I managed to win and score a Perfect in the final round while she was using Vega, though I think she must have set the controller down so that she could restock on whup-ass after she used up so many cans on me.

(Did I just make a can of whup-ass reference in 2012? Yes, I did. And it fits, because she was beating me six ways to Sunday. :P)

Oh haha, about that match! I was on the phone talking about replacing my keyboard that's starting to die and went to go check the closet for a spare we apparently have, but couldn't exactly text you what I was doing XD I found one though, so yay!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hailinel

@PixelPrinny said:

@Hailinel said:

@PixelPrinny said:

Oh haha, about that match! I was on the phone talking about replacing my keyboard that's starting to die and went to go check the closet for a spare we apparently have, but couldn't exactly text you what I was doing XD I found one though, so yay!

Ah-hah! I thought something was up. At least you found a different keyboard!

That was a good round of matches, though. I stunk for the most part, but I could feel like I was getting better.

And those Toro/Kuro matches had me in stitches. XD

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#27  Edited By StarvingGamer

This game plays nothing like SFIV outside of the basic controls. Zoning is significantly weakened and the footsies landscape has been drastically changed by the existence of universal chain combos. Also jump-ins are basically free against everyone. This is because jumping has been sped up and a majority of the invincibility frames from dedicated anti-airs have been removed. Even Ryu's Shoryuken trades more often than not.

In terms of the Tekken characters, it's true that they have generally inferior options when it comes to defense. However, they are significantly more powerful on offense with more overhead attacks that lead to full combos and trickier frame-traps. They also seem to have more damaging BnBs overall, most likely due to their heritage of crazy juggle combos. I've seen Kazuya do 50% damage with one meter.

Don't let the paint-job fool you. SFxT is a significantly different beast from SFIV. It has a pretty strong CvS feel if that's a point of reference you understand.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Vade

Antiairs still work and a lot of characters have consistent ones too. What they changed was that you can't use a sloppy DP and stuff every jump-in every time, you actually need to time it quite deep. Also while not having very good ground normals against jumps, the Tekken cast can do preemptive jump anti-airs like anyone else. Those will lead into full combo on counter hit.

I wouldn't even bother talking about balance yet, way too soon. Characters with good limbs seem decent (quite a few SF characters) but who knows what people will come up with on the Tekken side.

JudahJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JudahJones

As a recent convert from SF4 to SFxT, I would say while its good to have a backgorund on the basics like movement, jumping, ex attacks and having 6 attack buttons, Its actually been more of a chore to unlearn the SF4 quirks. It is NOT SF4.5, and I would approach it like a totally different game that happens to have the look of SF4. Biggest challenge for me was managing a single meter instead of two. It may seem easier but when you have to draw from the same meter to do your EX attacks as where you do ultra move, you gotta be careful how you spend it. Don't mistake that for my saying it is isn't fun, its an absolute blast. The tekken characters in particular are great, as they each have a ton of target combos and mechanics to sink your teeth into. As people have previously said, the street fighter characters come across as rather plain, because you've been playing them for years. In terms of the gems, I think of them as the equivalent of the gnasher shotgun in gears: Not absolutely necessary for play, but you must to embrace it to become decent as the game is built around it. Same principle applies to Gems.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.