I wonder if a "false advertising" suit could be made.

#1 Posted by Demoskinos (15148 posts) -

So, I was just looking at the SFxT case for PS3 right under the "PS3" logo bar at the top it says "Exclusive Content Includes Cole, Mega Man & Pac-Man" Now why would you put that on the front of the case when they cant even be unlocked until next week when they are put up as FREE DLC? What about people who aren't internet connected? This isn't an issue for me but I was thinking that this would suck pretty bad for people who aren't internet connected. Since this is on the box itself doesn't this sorta qualify as false advertising if offline players can't access the content?

#2 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

No.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

As long as those characters aren't available for the 360 in any capacity, then they're exclusive, so there isn't much of a case there.

#4 Posted by Brendan (8136 posts) -

This reminds me of that hilarious lawsuit made by the women who thought that Drive didn't have enough driving in it, and felt duped based on the trailer.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (15148 posts) -

@Hailinel: Yeah, but my point is they are advertising content you can't access out of the box. If you don't have a internet connection you are boned.

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11396 posts) -

It probably clarifies on the back of the box that internet is needed to access all content or something.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel: Yeah, but my point is they are advertising content you can't access out of the box. If you don't have a internet connection you are boned.

The notice simply says "Exclusive Content." That does not mean "This content is available for all at time of purchase." It just means it's content exclusive to the PS3 version.

#8 Posted by MEATBALL (3479 posts) -

You should totally file a class action against them though, you'll be rolling I. The Benjamins!

#9 Posted by MEATBALL (3479 posts) -

Ergh, stupid iPad, I meant "rolling in the benjamins", forgive the double post, there is also no edit button when posting from the iPad. I totally look like a fool right now, eh?

#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

This seems like the kind of thing important enough to sue over.

#11 Posted by BleedingStarX (283 posts) -
#12 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (489 posts) -

Isn't cole on there from the get go?

#13 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4701 posts) -

You have to download them, and only starting next week? What, that is nonsense.

#14 Posted by falling_fast (2279 posts) -

haha, what

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (15148 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

It probably clarifies on the back of the box that internet is needed to access all content or something.

Touche. So they do.

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (15148 posts) -

@Shun_Akiyama: Yes,Cole and the two sony cats are on there unlocked by default.

#17 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

Exactly. Like when it says "multiplayer" on the front of the box and "internet connection required" on the back in the fine print.

This is even clearer as it is a statement of fact. Only verifiable statement is that they are exclusive.

#18 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -
#19 Posted by Demoskinos (15148 posts) -

@ThePhantomnaut: It would be more entertaining if they got lazy and left Cole on the disc as well.

#20 Posted by DystopiaX (5360 posts) -

Nope, not false advetising.

#21 Posted by Bestostero (2750 posts) -

im pretty sure 360 will get Megaman and pacman too...

#22 Posted by AxleBro (793 posts) -

NOT GUILTY! *bangs gavel*

#23 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

You need to take a law class if you think that warrants a lawsuit.

#24 Posted by TechHits (1391 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

dlc stands for downloadable content. Downloadable content.

#25 Posted by fazzle (308 posts) -

At first I was hoping you meant a False Advertising suit, as in an alternate costume for a character with all sorts of false advertisements on it.

Cause that would be pretty amazing.

#26 Posted by Milkman (17316 posts) -

There's no case to be made but that shit still sucks.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (15148 posts) -

@TechHits: No shit. But that footnote is in VERY small print on the back. Secondly, there is zero reason for them to lock it in the first place since everything is ON the disc. What bloody sense does it make to lock the content your giving away free in a week in the first place?

#28 Posted by squirtle_squad (266 posts) -

There was something like this a while back when socom confrontation came out. On the back of the case they advertised TROPHIES but yet they weren't patched in until months later. Nothing came of it in terms of lawsuits. If that didn't get any attention then this one seems a bit unlikely, but then again I could be wrong.

#29 Posted by TechHits (1391 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@TechHits: No shit. But that footnote is in VERY small print on the back. Secondly, there is zero reason for them to lock it in the first place since everything is ON the disc. What bloody sense does it make to lock the content your giving away free in a week in the first place?

It's so Capcom can have a steady content drip, next week it's Megaman and Pacman, after that I'm sure they will start releasing color edit stuff. A month from now they will most likely release information about costumes, ect.

It's a way to have people keep talking about the game, and I'm sure first week used sales have something to do with it as well.

#30 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

@Demoskinos: How is this not exclusive content?

#31 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Demoskinos said:

So, I was just looking at the SFxT case for PS3 right under the "PS3" logo bar at the top it says "Exclusive Content Includes Cole, Mega Man & Pac-Man" Now why would you put that on the front of the case when they cant even be unlocked until next week when they are put up as FREE DLC? What about people who aren't internet connected? This isn't an issue for me but I was thinking that this would suck pretty bad for people who aren't internet connected. Since this is on the box itself doesn't this sorta qualify as false advertising if offline players can't access the content?

No..its not false advertising in any sense of the word. THEY ARE FREE AND PS3 ONLY. 
#32 Posted by darkvare (780 posts) -

speaking of exclusive character why can't i use the cats and cole in freaking arcade mode what trickery is this

#33 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

Don't be stupid. Christ.

#34 Posted by TechHits (1391 posts) -

@darkvare: I'm guessing that they didn't want to make endings for the ps3 exclusive characters.

#35 Posted by BPRJCTX (709 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

As long as those characters aren't available for the 360 in any capacity, then they're exclusive, so there isn't much of a case there.

Yeah, but thing is, they are already on the 360 version, it's all on the disc.

They even have the 12 new characters they'll ask to "buy" in a month for another 20$, all on the disc, on both 360 and PS3.

#36 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

Fucking-a.

#37 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@BPRJCTX said:

@Hailinel said:

They even have the 12 new characters they'll ask to "buy" in a month for another 20$, all on the disc, on both 360 and PS3.

Timed exclusives. They exist.

#38 Posted by TechHits (1391 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@BPRJCTX said:

@Hailinel said:

Timed exclusives. They exist.

plus the non timed exclusives like Cole and the cats.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.