Mist Step Tutorial

Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -

I've made a simple little tutorial on The Mist Step as it applies to Street Fighter X Tekken. This video mostly covers Kazuya's proper Mist Step and wave dash, but I briefly discuss Special Steps that other characters have.

The input itself is a big point of contention for traditional Street Fighter players, because you don't usually look at "neutral" as being an input...and hell, even the input display in training mode doesn't display it. there is picture-in-picture and some tips to help you along. Pretty nooby tutorial, and I didn't even cover Electric Wind Godfist juggles (mostly because I can't do it consistently), but it has jazzy music. Jazz just soothes all the pain.

The most consistent methods of wave-dashing I have found involve the QCF > Neutral, though it's admittedly easier with a loose spring and bat top (no wonder the Koreans prefer it). Anywho, enjoy the tut!

Music is "New York New York" by Dj Cam Quartet, it's off their 2008 release "The Return of Cool", if you're interested.

#1 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -

I've made a simple little tutorial on The Mist Step as it applies to Street Fighter X Tekken. This video mostly covers Kazuya's proper Mist Step and wave dash, but I briefly discuss Special Steps that other characters have.

The input itself is a big point of contention for traditional Street Fighter players, because you don't usually look at "neutral" as being an input...and hell, even the input display in training mode doesn't display it. there is picture-in-picture and some tips to help you along. Pretty nooby tutorial, and I didn't even cover Electric Wind Godfist juggles (mostly because I can't do it consistently), but it has jazzy music. Jazz just soothes all the pain.

The most consistent methods of wave-dashing I have found involve the QCF > Neutral, though it's admittedly easier with a loose spring and bat top (no wonder the Koreans prefer it). Anywho, enjoy the tut!

Music is "New York New York" by Dj Cam Quartet, it's off their 2008 release "The Return of Cool", if you're interested.

#2 Edited by Rmack (1078 posts) -

Great editing and info as usual, ultima. I typically do QCFx2 to do mist steps and the like. I picked up the tip from MarkMan on some random stream.

#3 Posted by MikeFightNight (1110 posts) -

@lordofultima: Keep this tut stuff up good sir!

I just got SF X Tekken today so this is very welcome.

#4 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11739 posts) -

This is helpful. I like Kazuya a lot, but not being able to throw that out consistently is a problem.

#5 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

i remember trying to do these for the trials... i would just wiggle the joystick nonstop until it happened then punched or kick or whatever it asked for afterwards lol

#6 Posted by JJOR64 (18992 posts) -

WHY SO SEXY?

#7 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -

It was going to be Shin Megami music, but then I found more jazzy music in this track. Figured I'd get out of the video game music habit for a minute.

#8 Posted by StarvingGamer (8241 posts) -

Awesome video, great production value as always, but I think this is the first time I've heard your voice. I will never read your posts in the same way again.

#9 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -

@StarvingGamer: I've done quite a few tutorials with my voice. Namely the entire suite of akuma tutorials (demonflip, raging demon, vortex, shenanigans) as well as 3-minute fundamentals series. But yeah, that happens. My voice is not regularly associated with me.

#10 Posted by Rubbish_ (60 posts) -

Do you guys actually find CD's hard in this game? For real?

Thank god you haven't tried playing Tekken.

#11 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

Very useful.

#12 Edited by lordofultima (6249 posts) -

@Rubbish_ said:

Do you guys actually find CD's hard in this game? For real? Thank god you haven't tried playing Tekken.

"you guys", no, actually I found it pretty easy. I have played tekken, I respect it. Take the elitist attitude back to the tekken forums. Oh wait...that's right. Your game is too inaccessible for anybody to play it.

I just don't get why someone is going to put their nose up at someone not knowing how to do something.

#13 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1833 posts) -

@lordofultima: we should play some SC5 someday :D

#14 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Rubbish_ said:

Do you guys actually find CD's hard in this game? For real? Thank god you haven't tried playing Tekken.

Nope.

and insinuating Tekken is particularly difficult to play is hilarious.

#15 Edited by Rubbish_ (60 posts) -
@Sooty:  
I aint insinuating shit, Tekken CD's and EWGF's aint mad tough to learn. 
But the hard stuff that needs explanation in Tekken is you know actually hard.

SFxTekken is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to execution, shit is laughable.
#16 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Rubbish_ said:

@Sooty: SFxTekken is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to execution, shit is laughable.

In fairness a few of the Tekken characters have some difficult links, you can't just mash to combo jabs like in SFIV. Well, you can with some characters.

#17 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -

Nice video, I'll be sure to refer back to it when I get round to trying Kazuya out.

#18 Edited by MelficeVKM (160 posts) -

Godlike music. I do the 2 QCFs motion for Kazuya, I tended to mess up trying the proper input under pressure.

#19 Edited by JudahJones (48 posts) -

Very useful tutorial video. As an avid fighting game fan with terrible dexterity skills, I greatly appreciate your work. Particularly the details like how to use your fingers differently for left and right versions. Keep helping me get my moneys worth out of SFxT!

EDIT: Great music. Eric B & Rakim sampled it for "Don't sweat the Technique"

#20 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -

Glad it helped, if it helps one person then it was worth it.

#21 Posted by Heartagram (1182 posts) -

Pretty nice little vid man. I had a bit of trouble but after practicing a bit I was able to do most of JIn and Kazuyas Trials. It's just weird to cancel into a stick movement only at the end of a link combo instead of a special move with a button press.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.