Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter X Tekken

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

The two leaders in the fighting game genre collide in this ultimate tag-team mash-up. Will you cross the line?

So About Those 12 Extra Charcters

• 120 results
    Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

WebOfSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By WebOfSomething

I can't believe they made that joke in 2012. Also I cleaned up the op and added voiced versions of the prologues.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#103  Edited By jacksukeru

I can't believe they made a 9000 reference all casual like, that thing is beyond played out at this point.

I'm not even mad or anything, just....stumped.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By Bestostero
    BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By BPRJCTX

@JJOR64 said:

I'm happy that Megaman and Pac Man are coming to 360 at some point.

Are coming?!

They are!!!

They are already on the disc!!!

360 and PS3 owners already have everything.

Last gen we would need to play the game to unlock extra.

Now we have to pay for that privilege.

They could have done this right, like if you want to, you can play the game, and unlock them that way, it will take time, and effort, but you can do it.

And for eveybody who just wants them right away, and has teh money, they could pay for them.

No Capcom, no.

Fuck you.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#106  Edited By StarvingGamer

@BPRJCTX: Last gen these characters would never have been developed at all. The game would have shipped with 38 characters and that's it.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By BPRJCTX

@StarvingGamer: In Capcom's case, yes, but then they would just release another version with more characters, and even that is much better than paying for stuff that is already on the disc you already bought.

But, you only have to look at Tekken, look at how many characters they had in Tekken 6 from the start, 40 from what i remember, and look at all the extra costumes they had, and on top of that, there was even a character editor, where you can make you character look totally different from eveyone elses.

This is just the Capcom way of doing things, and you guys still try to make excuses for them, this is bullshit, and should not be supported.

And this is why they do it, cos sheep will pay for it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By StarvingGamer

@BPRJCTX: How many new characters did Tekken 6 have? Eight? They took the existing characters from the existing engine, added a handful of new moves, a handful of new characters, tweaked some frame data, and that's it. Not to disparage Tekken 6, it's a great game, but very iterative.

On the other hand, SFxT is a totally new beast. Granted it's built off of the SFIV engine, but it's been changed so drastically that there's almost no resemblance outside of the graphics. Additionally, only 16 of the 38 characters from the core roster existed as part of the SFIV engine. The other 22 (+5 bonus characters) had to be worked into the engine from scratch. Capcom had to take 19 characters they had no experience with and figure out how to retain their original flavor and simultaneously reimagine them for fighting on a 2D plane. Another four of those characters were completely new to fighting games altogether and had to be designed from the ground-up.

Way more design work went into the core game of SFxT than Tekken 6, and even with all those hurdles they still managed to BEAT Tekken with an effective roster of 41 characters for PS3 on release boosted to 43 one week later. And you're going to begrudge them a lack of costume pieces?

If you're more worried about playing dress-up, maybe Tekken gives you more bang for your buck, but SFxT manages to bring more fighting to the table than almost any other game in the genre. So you're either arguing in favor of broken online-play or a more expensive retail update, neither of which sounds like a better option.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By BPRJCTX

@StarvingGamer said:

@BPRJCTX: How many new characters did Tekken 6 have? Eight? They took the existing characters from the existing engine, added a handful of new moves, a handful of new characters, tweaked some frame data, and that's it. Not to disparage Tekken 6, it's a great game, but very iterative.

On the other hand, SFxT is a totally new beast. Granted it's built off of the SFIV engine, but it's been changed so drastically that there's almost no resemblance outside of the graphics. Additionally, only 16 of the 38 characters from the core roster existed as part of the SFIV engine. The other 22 (+5 bonus characters) had to be worked into the engine from scratch. Capcom had to take 19 characters they had no experience with and figure out how to retain their original flavor and simultaneously reimagine them for fighting on a 2D plane. Another four of those characters were completely new to fighting games altogether and had to be designed from the ground-up.

Way more design work went into the core game of SFxT than Tekken 6, and even with all those hurdles they still managed to BEAT Tekken with an effective roster of 41 characters for PS3 on release boosted to 43 one week later. And you're going to begrudge them a lack of costume pieces?

If you're more worried about playing dress-up, maybe Tekken gives you more bang for your buck, but SFxT manages to bring more fighting to the table than almost any other game in the genre. So you're either arguing in favor of broken online-play or a more expensive retail update, neither of which sounds like a better option.

Dude, i don't know how you read my comment but, my point just went way over your head.

I'm not talking about the games quality here.

I'm not sayting Tekken is better than Street Fighter or anything like that.

I'm saying Namco released Tekken 6, and gave you everything you paid for, it's all in there.

They could have released another version a year later, with more characters and stuff, or even released it as DLC, and that would have been fine, if it was done after the fact, i got no problem with that.

But Capcom's way of doing things is, release a game, give you access to only 80% of it, even though you paid full price on day one, and then, a month later, give you the choice to pay more, to experience the complete game.

It reminds me of GT5 Prologue, and to me, it feels like someone just spit on my fuckin' face.

It's disgusting, and i can't believe most ppl just hapilly take it.

This is just so wrong, ppl go crazy for bad endings and stuff like that, but this is the kind of shit that needs to be stoped.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#110  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Bravestar said:

I liked this comment I saw on kotaku(it's a reply to a dude saying capcom's explanation falls apart):

Honestly, it doesn't fall apart though. What does fall apart is the idea that buying a product with agreed upon specs for an agreed price somehow becomes bad business just because you find out that product is capable of more.

It falls apart when on top of this weird business stuff (which I'm not saying is terrible) there are reports of broken online play, Capcom giving a weak reason for no local co-op online on the 360, and the fact that I have to wait until Fall to play as Bryan Fury?

Fuck that noise. SFxT is a skip until they come out with Super Street Fighter X Tekken Dark Resurrection for 40 dollars that has all the DLC unlocked already.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @BPRJCTX No, you're missing my point. SFxT is a complete game. The quantity and quality of content is heads and shoulders above a majority of the other games in the genre. It is not 80% of a game, it is 100% of a game. All the DLC is doing is giving the biggest fans a chance to get 130% of a game later down the line.
    SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By SonicBoyster

Has anyone considered that without budgetting for DLC we might not have access to any of these characters at any point? Would that be a better situation? The argument seems to be "I don't know if they budgeted out their funds for DLC or not but I'm going to assume that they are totally evil and determined to completely fuck me so they probably only budgeted enough to make the game and are trying to squeeze more money out of me." Well, if they did, and if they are, that's pretty messed up. I'm not jumping to that conclusion here, though, because the game without the DLC characters in it at all still has 43 playable characters, half of them have been completely rebuilt from a 3d engine for a 2d playstyle. That kind of development costs cash, and fighting games don't make the kinds of sales your first and third-person shooters do.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By BPRJCTX

@StarvingGamer said:

@BPRJCTX No, you're missing my point. SFxT is a complete game. The quantity and quality of content is heads and shoulders above a majority of the other games in the genre. It is not 80% of a game, it is 100% of a game. All the DLC is doing is giving the biggest fans a chance to get 130% of a game later down the line.

No, let's get things clear, you bough a game, everything contained inside that disc you bought, makes 100%, so yes you bought a complete game, but, if you can only access about 80% of it untill you pay another 20$, that basically means you got robbed.

Actually DLC, made after the game is out would increase that number. but as we all now it, we'll be paying more, for something we already own, i mean not me of course, but all the sheep who keep bending over to Capcom.

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Bravestar

@Doctorchimp: now we know it falls apart, because it's less than we agreed on. no local co-op online on the 360 is stupid. but you only have to wait till sometime in april to get all the characters I think.

@SonicBoyster said:

Has anyone considered that without budgetting for DLC we might not have access to any of these characters at any point?

short answer: people don't consider that. longer answer: I think some(not all) of the characters were supposed to be in the game. I don't know if they pulled some characters, because people rejected the gems(which were supposed to be the big DLC items), or because they didn't get finished in time for certification. maybe both. but I'm pretty confident that capcom wouldn't create any costumes or extra characters, if they couldn't sell them as DLC. I also think capcom might stop making fighting games(other than SF) if they can't sell it to a big chunk of customers for more than the original price(that's just speculation though).

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By SonicBoyster

@BPRJCTX: You realize you don't actually own the content on that disc, right? It's lame, but you have only purchased the right to access the software installed on that disc, subject to the limitations imposed on you by its provider. If you owned what was on the disc you'd be free to export it, reverse engineer it, then use all of the models and sound files for whatever purpose you desired, but at the moment we can only purchase a license to access that content. Same goes for demos on the PC (for utilities, not games), where you are installing an entire suite of software but are only allowed to access a portion of it until you pay to unlock the rest. This is relevant because it invalidates that particular line of argument. You can argue something a little more speculative, like the idea that capcom shorted us characters to make money, but we can't verify that.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By BPRJCTX

@SonicBoyster said:

@BPRJCTX: You realize you don't actually own the content on that disc, right? It's lame, but you have only purchased the right to access the software installed on that disc, subject to the limitations imposed on you by its provider. If you owned what was on the disc you'd be free to export it, reverse engineer it, then use all of the models and sound files for whatever purpose you desired, but at the moment we can only purchase a license to access that content. Same goes for demos on the PC (for utilities, not games), where you are installing an entire suite of software but are only allowed to access a portion of it until you pay to unlock the rest. This is relevant because it invalidates that particular line of argument. You can argue something a little more speculative, like the idea that capcom shorted us characters to make money, but we can't verify that.

So, what you're saying is we (gamers) paid 60$ for a (bigger) demo...

Well, thank you good sir, you just proved my point.

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By SonicBoyster

@BPRJCTX: I mean you can look at it that way if you want to, but that's how software has always worked, and that's the way software will always work. What was your point again? That we're being cheated in some way? We're really not. Somebody creates something we can use and offers us access to it at a price, then we pay that price. That's just the way it works. If I sell you a mario game you aren't allowed to copy him and make more mario games to sell because you don't own the right to engineer or distribute that stuff.

If Capcom didn't think it could make money off of these characters seperate from the main roster they wouldn't exist at all. If that's your ideal situation you're ten years out of date with reality. This is the new business model.

Kokoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#118  Edited By Kokoro

I plan to buy the DLC characters, just because I want the full character roster and not to mention, I really want some of these characters. It sucks that you have to pay $20 for them, since they're already on the disc though.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#119  Edited By OneManX

I just want to run Dudley and Elena... and call it a day. It's crappy business, but it's business and the alternative would of been these characters wouldn't of made the cut.

Kokoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Kokoro

I'm looking forward to most of DLC characters, including Alisa, Lars, Bryan, Christie, Sakura, Cody, Elena and Dudley.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.