Which arcade stick? Need some opinions.

#1 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Having been used to a fightpad in the past, (with mixed results, blistering being a big problem) this time I want to invest in a decent stick. The Mad Catz TE is crazy expensive here in the UK (£200! / $315) while I've found the Hori Pro V3 SA at a much more reasonable price. (£95 / $150). Both are meant to have good build quality using Sanwa parts, so I'm not really looking at the cheaper options.

Has anyone experience witht this (Hori Pro) stick, or any others in particular? I figured some feedback on the matter won't hurt my purchasing decision.

#2 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Find a second hand TE or buy an older SE and put some Sanwa buttons and a joystick in. It's very easy, literally unscrew, plug in and connect a simple wire, no soldering involved.

I wouldn't go for a Hori when you can get Sanwa so easily via a TE or modded SE stick. Sanwa are the parts Japanese arcades use in most of their machines, long lifespan and can take a beating.

Edit: Ah if it's a Sanwa equipped Hori then that's different, I always thought they only had a few sticks with Sanwa buttons but then a Hori joystick mixed in.

Or scrap that, forget MadCatz, get one of these cross platform sticks (I have one, way nicer than my old TE), much better build quality than any of the MadCatz stuff and that quality Sanwa finish: http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/the-qanba-shop.php

#3 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

@Sooty said:

Find a second hand TE or buy an older SE and put some Sanwa buttons and a joystick in. It's very easy, literally unscrew, plug in and connect a simple wire, no soldering involved.

I wouldn't go for a Hori when you can get Sanwa so easily via a TE or modded SE stick. Sanwa are the parts Japanese arcades use in most of their machines, long lifespan and can take a beating.

Edit: Ah if it's a Sanwa equipped Hori then that's different, I always thought they only had a few sticks with Sanwa buttons but then a Hori joystick mixed in.

Or scrap that, forget MadCatz, get one of these cross platform sticks (I have one, way nicer than my old TE), much better build quality than any of the MadCatz stuff and that quality Sanwa finish: http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/the-qanba-shop.php

Thanks for that!

Certainly going to consider the QanBa's, although they're currently out of stock. I doubled checked and the Hori one is full sanwa (stick, lever and buttons).

#4 Posted by KingofClassy (68 posts) -

Just so you know you can get a SFxT stick from Shopto for £125 (most of the QanBa's are £100+Vat + Delivery of £10+Vat and stock is not great)

On ebay most have been going for under £100 - as for the fight pad I love mine (having had it since SF4 Launch with no problems!)

#5 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@StrikeALight said:

@Sooty said:

Thanks for that!

Certainly going to consider the QanBa's, although they're currently out of stock. I doubled checked and the Hori one is full sanwa (stick, lever and buttons).

No real reason not to get the Hori then I guess eh, one thing though is I think they use a different button layout which could get annoying as you'll have to adjust it every time you play the game at another location so that is something to consider. The Qanba use the same mapping as the TE sticks so you can just load up SFIV , UMvC3 or SF x Tekken and the buttons will be properly set up right away. The Hori could use the same mapping as the TE now though, just in the old Hori stick I have it's different for sure. This is only really a minor niggle though, I mean at tournaments you will have to button check and what not anyway so it's not really a big deal.

I think this one might be in stock, it doesn't say now taking pre-orders or otherwise on the page
#6 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

I recently bought a WWE Brawlstick, which basically is a SSFIV SE. It was $30 at GameStop, so I recommend that.

#7 Posted by Sauson (560 posts) -

Go with the QanBa sticks, they're fantastic.

#8 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Thanks guys, went with the Hori Pro VA S3. Will update this thread to let you know how I get on with it, over the next couple of weeks.

#9 Posted by serverfull (56 posts) -

I always recommend the TE but that is because I have 2 of them and 1 modded SE with TE parts. Overall I love Sanwa parts. Either way any stick is better then a controller. Esp if you are driving deep. I loved my Hori on the Dreamcast.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.